HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 11:56 AM
deeman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Destroyed my helmet on the bench. So sick of watching pucks dribble by our defenders at the point. Team lost again 6-4 or something. Our line just struggles so badly to score even though we're making good plays and getting pressure on the other team and rarely getting stuck in our end.
'

How did you destroy your helmet?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Beat the living crap out of it. Not smart, but what the hell. Was going to pick up a new lid this summer anyway.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also I've got to do a way better job of warming up my groin/hip area. Last two games it's been sore as hell afterwards.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
...got the MRI results in. Tore my ACL, MCL, and cartilage in my right knee (knee hyper-extension). Did the same thing 9 years ago in my left knee so know all the rehab that sits in front of me right now. What bothers me the most is missing 8-12 months of hockey. The team has gelled and we won 2 of the last 3 league titles. We have a good group of guys to play with in a competitive, fun league. Pretty down right now.
Sorry to hear this dude.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, can't imagine having to go through that...hope rehab is quick for you.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:03 AM
bwhinnen

Well it wasn't today but on Sunday in my Dev League game. I got my first penalty 2 minute minor for high sticking, it was a total reflex action that I need to get out of. Playing D in the slot, shot comes in at around goal post height I lift stick to bat it towards the corner (yes mistake number one should have gloved it for the obvious reason as well as the fact that it was at the height where I'd be called for playing with a high stick anyway) and hit the other teams forward in the cage as they did the same thing as me but turned to face me (lifted their stick to deflect the puck).

Thankfully they were wearing a cage is all I can say.

But the story doesn't end there, I was called a wife basher after that, why? Because the other player was actually my wife, we play opposite teams, me left D, her right wing. Yes I will never hear the end of it.

How do you get out of years of reflex action and learn to take your hand off of the stick and just use it instead? The scary thing is I knew that it was a mistake as soon as I lifted the stick, but reflexes had already taken over by then.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:30 AM
AcidJazz

Yikes! Did you have to sleep on the couch?

Old
02-14-2013, 11:19 AM
PaperworkNinja

After almost a year I finally was able to do a two-foot jump while moving backwards. Usually I fall by landing on my heels but last night I was finally able to land on my toes instead.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:17 PM
TheeNorthStar

Won 9-1 last night! Everyone played fantastic.

I had, 1G - 3A - 4PTS - +5

Old
02-16-2013, 09:13 AM
gosinger

...had my first 5 minute penalty for fighting (lowest possible level of beer-league, but with full-contact).

Was in the left corner, heard the refs whistle, turned around and saw my center flat on his stomach, with a guy twice his size sitting on his back and pounding his fists on the back of my teammates helmet. I threw away my stick, raced there and punched him in the face then dragged him off by his jersey. Refs and players from both teams came in to separate us, ended up being a 5 minute penalty for both of us.

On the bench the ref told me had I not intervened the other guy would have been given a game-misconduct (he attacked my center from behind, shoved him to the ground then jumped on him, with no puck anywhere near the play). So here is my question, was I right to step in? My teammate was defenseless, and if he hadn't worn a cage or had lost his helmet the beating could have caused significant injuries. He had no chance to fight back, so I feel I had to get in there...

Old
02-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosinger View Post
...had my first 5 minute penalty for fighting (lowest possible level of beer-league, but with full-contact).

Was in the left corner, heard the refs whistle, turned around and saw my center flat on his stomach, with a guy twice his size sitting on his back and pounding his fists on the back of my teammates helmet. I threw away my stick, raced there and punched him in the face then dragged him off by his jersey. Refs and players from both teams came in to separate us, ended up being a 5 minute penalty for both of us.

On the bench the ref told me had I not intervened the other guy would have been given a game-misconduct (he attacked my center from behind, shoved him to the ground then jumped on him, with no puck anywhere near the play). So here is my question, was I right to step in? My teammate was defenseless, and if he hadn't worn a cage or had lost his helmet the beating could have caused significant injuries. He had no chance to fight back, so I feel I had to get in there...
You could have restrained the guy / gotten him off of your teammate without punching him in the face.

Full contact in lowest level beer league. God, I cringe thinking of it.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosinger View Post

It sounds that he was basically trying to kill your guy. You did the right thing interfering, just the punch in the face was a bit too much.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Won 5-2 against our division rivals.

3G 2A 5P +5!!!

First hat-trick (EVER!) and the first game I've gotten more than 2 points.

Also got a 2-minute minor for, get this... "Being in the crease" after the whistle. Looked for a rebound in front when the whistle went and got mauled by 3 defensemen, then I got a penalty.

Either way, I had one hell of a game.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
02-17-2013, 04:59 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Won 5-2 against our division rivals.

3G 2A 5P +5!!!

First hat-trick (EVER!) and the first game I've gotten more than 2 points.

Also got a 2-minute minor for, get this... "Being in the crease" after the whistle. Looked for a rebound in front when the whistle went and got mauled by 3 defensemen, then I got a penalty.

Either way, I had one hell of a game.
Great job! I've noticed getting near the crease is a great way to rack up points while being a nuisance to the opponents at the same time.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:10 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Great job! I've noticed getting near the crease is a great way to rack up points while being a nuisance to the opponents at the same time.
It really is, as a smaller guy (5'8 135lbs) it's hard to do, but it works.

Either way, the ref just made up a penalty to give me some time in the sin bin.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

After getting no goals and two assists in my first six games, I've got four goals and three assists my last nine. Not great but an improvement for sure.

Also ordered an E600. Nothing else came close to fitting properly, including my 4k after shaving down the padding.

And I've got to switch back to tongues under shins. Just feels like there's no support at all. Such a strange feeling.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:18 AM
TLow97

Lost 7-2 last night. Getting kinda tired of giving up 7 goals a game...

Old
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
thedonger

Quote:
After getting no goals and two assists in my first six games, I've got four goals and three assists my last nine. Not great but an improvement for sure.

Also ordered an E600. Nothing else came close to fitting properly, including my 4k after shaving down the padding.

And I've got to switch back to tongues under shins. Just feels like there's no support at all. Such a strange feeling.
did you try the reakt? fit was surprisingly wide to me.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Over twice the cost while being heavier and not as good a fit. Meh.

Love the Giro fitting system. Works great for bike helmets. Pretty comfy.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:01 PM
windycity

Quote:
Beat the living crap out of it. Not smart, but what the hell. Was going to pick up a new lid this summer anyway.
ha, I destroyed my water bottle last night by throwing it at a wall after the game. but mad at myself for missing what would have been game tying goal on a breakwaway in last 2 minutes. ended up losing 4-3. Frustrating night all round, got myself in good scoring positions all night but kept shooting at goalie. Had at least 7 shots

Old
02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Well, I finally figured out how to give my slapshot some lift, and apparently I was shooting hard enough, because I ripped through the netting that is above the boards, twice. Once with a roller hockey puck, and once with an ice puck (I wanted to see what it felt like to shoot it since its heavier than a roller puck)
Somebody sign this guy to the NHL!

Old
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
Lost 7-2 last night. Getting kinda tired of giving up 7 goals a game...
My team went 3-19-1 this season with an average of 2.6 GF a game and 7 against.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Funkmarkoflex

Today I was supposed to play in my beer league after a week off (sometimes a QMJHL team plays on the same rink). But because of an incredible snowstorm (about 3 in. of snow) the city closed the arena... I wanted to try my new U+ CL skates for the first time on an interior rink.

God I hate my town right now...

Old
02-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Last night I swapped kit with one of my teammates for a scrimmage so he went in goal and I played out in a proper scrimmage for the first time ever, it was pretty fun. I made some solid D plays blocking shots and making stick checks, and I made a sick outlet pass to put someone on a breakaway and got an assist I'm like Karlsson except good at defence I rotated between D and forward but had no clue what I was doing as a forward in terms of positioning

Only downside, my teammate who went in net turned his leg and the puck hit a buckle which I now have to replace

Old
02-21-2013, 10:03 AM
windycity

the other night I had all my equipment on ready to play and looked in my bag and realized that I'd forgotten my helmet (with full cage). Borrowed an instructor's one from the rink with no cage. Probably dumb but decided to play but felt naked out there and played much more conservatively that I normally do. Got through it fine but last night, wearing full cage, took a stick across the face. Thank god for the cage, especially at my level - advanced novice.

Closed Thread