HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Today I participated in my sixth learn to play session. Unfortunately, just when I'm starting to begin to get down some of the finer points of skating, the training sessions are taking a seven-week break for the summer holiday. Depressing.

Ah well, I'll try to spend the next two months in the gym, and try to do some rollerblading for strength and cardio,

Old
07-21-2012, 08:56 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

You can't do stick time or public session, just to stay on the ice? I would definitely do that, just to keep your skills up!

Old
07-21-2012, 08:57 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I have similar issues. I'm 5'10 175lb and I use a 75 flex barely cut down, so maybe 78 flex?

I never do one timer slap shots. I usually go for a one time snap shot. It's a lot easier to connect, much quicker and easier to aim. Also a lot harder for the goalie to anticipate because you don't have a massive wind up looking ready to go.
I do take one timer snaps more often than slappers, but i need to be sure that my stick is ready for any kinds of shots.. in fact, sometimes it's too whippy for one timer snaps too.

I think i'm gonna cut it down a bit more to see if it'll get stiffer enough.

Old
07-21-2012, 10:01 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Tested the CCM U+CL gloves
They felt good

Old
07-22-2012, 09:13 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
You can't do stick time or public session, just to stay on the ice? I would definitely do that, just to keep your skills up!
Staying on the ice is pretty tough here in Japan -- not many rinks, and about $14 U.S. per public session. I may try to go a few times, though. The thought of being of the ice for so long drives me crazy. It's so much fun to be out there.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:21 AM
AIREAYE

Roller is a great way to stay in the groove if you can't have ice.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:07 PM
PaperworkNinja

Did more work with the new sticks. I switched to right-hand sticks and my puck handling speed doubled.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:00 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Got my "new" red HT 652 in the mail. Perfect helmet; perfect color!

Old
07-23-2012, 09:17 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Picked up the Nexus 1000 on Saturday and played with it yesterday morning at rat. I can't give a full review yet but so far so good. The stick felt almost too light in my hands at first but I got used to it pretty quick. Snappers and wristers in close came off real quick and were pretty accurate. Wristers that I had time to load up on did not have as much pop on them as they did with my Total One. At one point on a 2 on 1 a guy hit me with a pass that was behind me and I had no time to load up at all. I was still able to one time it and it was a rocket past a diving goalie. Overall I am pretty pleased so far.

Also the guy at my LHS told me that last season many of the forwards in the NHL that were seen with Total Ones were actually painted Nexus'. He used Stamkos as one example. It will be interesting to see if Stamkos has the Nexus this year.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

This is more of a 'this past weekend I...' edition.

During my last pickup session, I put a lot of shots over the net with a pretty open curve that I usually am fine with (Bauer P08). For the last year or so, I have been using either the Staal/Drury wedge or more recently the P08 which is the same thing with some toe. After some thought, I decided to try out the P88 blade I haven't used in some time with an X60 shaft I wasn't using.

I played with that Saturday morning and was very pleased with it. It's much easier for me to shoot high with a closed curve than it is to shoot low with an open one. My passing was much better too as I could keep the sauce flatter with the P88. My snap shot was also harder and much more consistently accurate.

Sunday, I only spray painted the bottom of the shaft and top of the blade black to make the stick not have contrasting colors or the Bauer logo on the blade. It looks much better and at times looks like a OPS. It may only be a placebo, but as I always say: Look good, feel good, play good.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My TPS Response (basically XN10 one piece) I had sprayed white to try it, so when I chopped the blade off last week I sanded it down and re-sprayed black so it would match the blade. It actually looks just like the blacked out Base sticks my teammates use.

I also ordered a 40 lb kettlebell since I'm moving and selling off all my weights and rack and what not. Looking forward to it.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Chadley
The Big Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Picked up the Nexus 1000 on Saturday and played with it yesterday morning at rat. I can't give a full review yet but so far so good. The stick felt almost too light in my hands at first but I got used to it pretty quick. Snappers and wristers in close came off real quick and were pretty accurate. Wristers that I had time to load up on did not have as much pop on them as they did with my Total One. At one point on a 2 on 1 a guy hit me with a pass that was behind me and I had no time to load up at all. I was still able to one time it and it was a rocket past a diving goalie. Overall I am pretty pleased so far.

Also the guy at my LHS told me that last season many of the forwards in the NHL that were seen with Total Ones were actually painted Nexus'. He used Stamkos as one example. It will be interesting to see if Stamkos has the Nexus this year.
Good to hear man. I feel like I get a more explosive pop with my X 60 when it comes to wrist shots, then again my X60 is a 102 flex stick. As a player who looks pass first, and likes to create plays, and huck sauce....overall I'm just looking for a stick that will allow me to get off a quick shot, and my Nexus does that for me.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Today I'm starting my field training portion of the Gary Robert's/Matt Nichol program.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

ordered a new cup.

Took my cup out of my ice equipment bag, transferred it over to the bag I use for inline last weekend. Some time between inline and going back to my place, it was lost. Temporarily or permanently, I don't know. I just know that when I showed up to my last ice game last week, I went into my ice bag and it wasn't there. Figured "what's the worst that could happen? It's only one game."

Yeah, that happened.

It won't happen again, or at least it won't without a cup.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
PaperworkNinja

I was very tempted to troll my coworkers today by bringing in one of the new sticks and doing some puckhandling, if only to give me something to do in between calls.

Where is that weird tapping noise coming from? No idea, guys, really...

Old
07-25-2012, 03:39 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
I was very tempted to troll my coworkers today by bringing in one of the new sticks and doing some puckhandling, if only to give me something to do in between calls.

Where is that weird tapping noise coming from? No idea, guys, really...
I did that when I was home but had to dial into a conference call. Halfway through I got so bored I stood up and started to stickhandle on my pad. They're like: what's this thumping sound? Me: I HAVE STONE HANDS!!

I was the only one laughing...

Old
07-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Ordered a EQ50. Trying out the Parise/Drury curve. Been using Hall and Cammalleri curve for a while, so going to an open heel curve will be new for me.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
PaperworkNinja

... noticed that if you work on wrist shots on a cement basement floor, the Warrior Esquire stick gets chewed up pretty quickly. That happens even with tape applied.

I went to a curve that seems flatter than the Cammalleri curve. The Burrows pattern from Warrior seems just a bit flatter than the Zetterberg pattern, which is about as close to Cammalleri's pattern a Warrior gets.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
... noticed that if you work on wrist shots on a cement basement floor, the Warrior Esquire stick gets chewed up pretty quickly. That happens even with tape applied.

I went to a curve that seems flatter than the Cammalleri curve. The Burrows pattern from Warrior seems just a bit flatter than the Zetterberg pattern, which is about as close to Cammalleri's pattern a Warrior gets.
I usually carry 3 sticks. 2 composite, one is game stick, one back up, and a wood stick for practice at home. I use intermediates, but go with heavy, senior wood sticks. It's great for strength training, and when you go back to your composite sticks they feel light as feather. Plus if your wood blade gets chewed up they're a lot cheaper to replace.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:42 PM
PaperworkNinja

I'll have to see if I can find a similar pattern, then.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
fryer98

...made my 1st (and this being my 2nd) post on the HF Boards.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:03 PM
stupendousman

...will be playing for my roller league's championship. Best of three series, leading 1 game to 0. Nerves, but pumping myself up.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:01 AM
PaperworkNinja

...found my new balance point using a right-hand stick during practice today.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
...found my new balance point using a right-hand stick during practice today.
I'm not sure if you are talking about a balance point in your stick, or how you are using your stick for balance, but this reminds me of something that happened at rat this weekend.

I skate in a beginners rat from time to time on Sunday. It's actually a good skate with a pretty wide range of skill level, with supposedly no one with more than 2 years of playing experience. I'm getting near the top of that range, but I pass a lot and just try to keep the pace moving. Anyways I did not realize how much some true beginners use their stick for balance. An example of this is when myself and another guy were skating for the puck and he was going to get there first, so not thinking about him being a beginner, I lifted his stick to take the puck and he went down like a ton of bricks into the boards b/c he had a lot of his weight on that stick. Whoops, I had to apologize for that one, although he knew it was not intentional.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
PaperworkNinja

That's it right there. Now that the stick's blade goes to the right, I have to find out where to balance and pivot again to shoot, poke check and turn. It didn't take too long to get used to it, but I'm still working on getting back to the level I had with the left-hand sticks. I have to get my saucer pass and flip pass back. It also affects some of my skating since I use the stick as a third contact point for the ice.

Closed Thread