HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Found out my Base blade won't come in until next week. Kinda sucks since I have another game this weekend. But looking forward to using it.

Also got some new golf clubs. A set of Ping Zing knockoffs. $15 for 3-9 and found matching PW and SW on eBay for $25. I'm a lefty so it's hard to find crap like that. And I haven't golfed in 15 years. But swung them around the backyard for a bit and they feel pretty nice.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
That's it right there. Now that the stick's blade goes to the right, I have to find out where to balance and pivot again to shoot, poke check and turn. It didn't take too long to get used to it, but I'm still working on getting back to the level I had with the left-hand sticks. I have to get my saucer pass and flip pass back. It also affects some of my skating since I use the stick as a third contact point for the ice.
That's actually deceptively tricky

Last year I took a shift with my buddy's right handed stick for S&G. He uses a Forsberg so it wasn't TOO badly curved the wrong way. I actually got the puck and took a shot but instead of leaning into the stick and it supporting my weight I fell over

Usually when I cup the puck I can lean and push into it, but because it was on the backhand, it just slid on the ice...

Old
07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Found out my Base blade won't come in until next week. Kinda sucks since I have another game this weekend. But looking forward to using it.

Also got some new golf clubs. A set of Ping Zing knockoffs. $15 for 3-9 and found matching PW and SW on eBay for $25. I'm a lefty so it's hard to find crap like that. And I haven't golfed in 15 years. But swung them around the backyard for a bit and they feel pretty nice.
How are the Base blades? The X60 blade I started using again already has cracked and lost its sturdiness. I am going to pick up a total one blade to put in a either a one95 or TO shaft depending on what flex I want to use, but eventually I would like to pick up another blade for the x60 shaft I have. I already have had a bad experience with the new Warrior blades and now the x60 blade. Base has several curve options including a clone of the P88 I'd like.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I haven't used it yet.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Lady Justice

vCash: 564
Quote:

Last year I took a shift with my buddy's right handed stick for S&G. He uses a Forsberg so it wasn't TOO badly curved the wrong way. I actually got the puck and took a shot but instead of leaning into the stick and it supporting my weight I fell over

Usually when I cup the puck I can lean and push into it, but because it was on the backhand, it just slid on the ice...
I'm afraid I might do that too, since I'm going to be trying out shooting right instead of left tomorrow myself. I've been kind of getting a feel for motions (albeit with a broom and not a real stick) on dry land, and now that I think about it, I've been putting my weight on my back foot instead of leaning forwards onto my left foot. Sounds like a great way to fall backwards on skates, since I've been doing it on dry land wearing shoes.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:16 PM
PaperworkNinja

Quote:

I'm also slowly finding out how tough it is to do crossovers in my current set of hockey pants. They must not be completely broken in yet.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:19 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

Was at work and Columbus Blue Jackets equipment managers dad came in and talked about his two sons. One obviously CBJ equipment manager, the other does stats for I want to say the Florida Panthers, but I was more shocked than anything of how he wasn't into hockey like I was. He went to his car and randomly brought me two CBJ game pucks. The Leroy's are a great family.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Lady Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
I'm afraid I might do that too, since I'm going to be trying out shooting right instead of left tomorrow myself. I've been kind of getting a feel for motions (albeit with a broom and not a real stick) on dry land, and now that I think about it, I've been putting my weight on my back foot instead of leaning forwards onto my left foot. Sounds like a great way to fall backwards on skates, since I've been doing it on dry land wearing shoes.
On second thought, the pro shop's cheapest right handed stick was $110. Ordered one online for $15 instead, so I'll have to wait a week or so to try it out.

Old
07-28-2012, 08:54 AM
MattB43

Woke up at 5:15 am, drove to the rink for 6 am "breakfast hockey", and sat there until 6:30, at which point no one had showed up to unlock the rink for us so everyone left

Also a hockey camp has had the rink rented out for this entire week, and I was travelling last week, so I haven't been on the ice in two weeks

Old
07-28-2012, 04:16 PM
PaperworkNinja

Pushed myself harder in the skill drills today to the point I had zero energy left for the usual game of banc at the end.

Old
07-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
First day back in Canada. Dropped by Sportschek and bought a couple of twigs and some tape.

Selection was really surprisingly poor. Not many intermediate flexes available. The only sticks with 75/77 were $250+ sticks which I'd never buy retail.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:18 AM
rayau

I bought a Nexus 1000 stick as a replacement for my broken X60. It will be late next week before I can try it out. I can't wait. I've read so many excellent reviews online.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayau View Post
I bought a Nexus 1000 stick as a replacement for my broken X60. It will be late next week before I can try it out. I can't wait. I've read so many excellent reviews online.
I was playing around with one at Sportschek yesterday. It's a very light stick and feels whippier than other sticks out there (could just be me though).

Old
07-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Lady Justice

Today, I played in a scrimmage game in goal. Gave up a couple early softies but we ended up winning in a shootout. Took until the 7th (I think) round for someone from our team to score, then on the "save and win" the shooter tried to bring it to the backhand and didn't get a shot off. I ended up somehow sitting on my own skate blade while tracking the puck though.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:02 AM
rayau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I was playing around with one at Sportschek yesterday. It's a very light stick and feels whippier than other sticks out there (could just be me though).
I've read that about the Nexus 1000. It does feel a little whippier when I flex it. The mid-flex seems to make a big difference. I'll know in a few days when I get to some ice

Old
07-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Blocked a shot with my cage on the PK. Got a big cheer from the bench.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:52 AM
ChiTownHawks

Yesterday I took 2 sticks to the cage in rat. If I was wearing a visor, either of those could have put me in the hospital. Instead I skate on and tell both very apologetic guys that it is no big deal, but they should keep those sticks down.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:15 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
I'm also slowly finding out how tough it is to do crossovers in my current set of hockey pants. They must not be completely broken in yet.
I thought it was just me, but maybe not? I didn't realize that this could actually be a real problem.

I can (kind of) do crossovers right over left. But left over right - there just seems to be too much padding right above the knee area. I can actually feel the padding on the left leg hitting the padding on the right leg when I try to bring it over. I feel like I'm trying to run in one of those snowsuits from the Christmas Story, so much padding...

Old
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Today, I am wondering what the appropriate response to getting "nutted" is during a pick-up game is...

My response, turn around and shove the guy and in the process ripping his stick out of his hands and sending it halfway down the ice...

Yeah, it was intentional...

Old
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh I forgot this gem,

We were on the PK for about the millionth time, we win the draw back to the D, who rips it down the boards, where it nails the ref. He blows the whistle, smacks our D, cusses him out, and then sends him to the box for abuse of an official. The ref was standing on the damn boards on the PK and then blames our D-man for trying to clear it off the boards? Then smacks him, cusses, and puts him in the box?

Unreal.

Also, I blocked a shot that rang off both my thighs, so my legs are feeling awesome. Can't wait to drop some LB's and get back into my Tacklas.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:17 PM
hlaverty06

Took one in the back of leg wheres there's no padding........managed to get to bench somehow

Old
07-30-2012, 12:24 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Also, I blocked a shot that rang off both my thighs, so my legs are feeling awesome. Can't wait to drop some LB's and get back into my Tacklas.
I realized my padding sucks when I took one off the back of the thigh. Ouchy.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah my old Vapor XXV's were like that. OUCH. I rolled the dice with my 5k's this summer as I wanted bigger and lighter pants, but yeah it rang off both FRONT of the thighs and there was still pretty much no padding.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

went to a stick and puck.i decided to work mostly on my skating, especially stopping, sharp turns, quick steps, and one leg balancing. I got lucky because they let us play for 2 hours instead of the usual 1. Man my legs, especially high ankles, are SO SORE and my right knee feels funny. definitely a good day

Old
07-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Went goalie gear shopping with my buddy.

He paid a total of CDN 900 for:
Unused Bauer X60 Catcher
Unused Bauer X50 Blocker
Unused Itech Goalie Mask (Spiderman)
Used Itech Goalie Pants (Forgot model, but in decent condition)
Used RBK Premier 4 Chest protector (Could be 2-3 year old model, but same line of product)
Used Vaughn Velocity 7000 Leg Pads

What do you guys think of this deal in terms of value?

Closed Thread