HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 10:35 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
Got in my first fight! ****ing awesome.......I could do it again

I was playing D, our Goalie made a save and guys were whacking at him, so he (our goalie) jumped up and grabbed one and started throwing punches, my D partner and I were on our own for a few seconds (we were making a forward switch) and I paired up with a guy about my size, we ripped each others helmets off and he connected under my eye (nice shiner) and I landed one on the button and he was bleeding.

It was ****ing awesome.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:29 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Got in my first fight! ****ing awesome.......I could do it again

I was playing D, our Goalie made a save and guys were whacking at him, so he (our goalie) jumped up and grabbed one and started throwing punches, my D partner and I were on our own for a few seconds (we were making a forward switch) and I paired up with a guy about my size, we ripped each others helmets off and he connected under my eye (nice shiner) and I landed one on the button and he was bleeding.

It was ****ing awesome.
Was this in rec league?

Old
07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Was this in rec league?
Club team

Old
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Club team
Awesome in rec league? Really?

Old
08-01-2012, 09:38 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I thought club was different than rec. Am I wrong here?

Old
08-01-2012, 09:41 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Rec league and college club teams are different things, bro.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Went to sub for a friend's team last night and my teammate got cross checked to the neck. He immediately went at the guy without taking his gloves off. Both guy had cages.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:45 AM
hlaverty06

Club team isn't Rec my Friend

Last edited by hlaverty06: 08-01-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 12:01 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Club team isn't Rec my
Friend
That is what I was figuring. If you did that in rec league I would be thinking that is pretty lame, but on your club/college team that is a whole different story.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
That is what I was figuring. If you did that in rec league I would be thinking that is pretty lame, but on your club/college team that is a whole different story.
Yeah.....I'm competitive but not THAT competitive to fight in a rec league

Old
08-02-2012, 12:02 AM
PaperworkNinja

... went through a full hour scrimmage.

Well, my feet didn't hurt like they do during some of the drills, my puckhandling's in need of more than just practice in the basement, and I remembered to keep my head up. Now if I could just remember where my teammates were... whoops.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Been using a neutral, closed faced toe curve (Zetterberg/Cammalleri) for the last 6-7 months. First time on the ice with a open faced heel curve (Easton Parise/Drury).

Needless to say, it felt a bit weird. I can see why people like using it though. Cupping the puck, toe drags are a lot easier. Saucer passes are a lot easier to do. Can get up a high shot really quick.

I haven't fully adapted to doing backhanders with this twig yet, but it definitely feels a lot harder to roof a backhander with this than my Cammy stick.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's why I like the Sakic and Drury clones. Sakic more for carrying the puck and Drury for shooting.

Most of the time I spend either carrying the puck or shooting on the forehand. I'm not much of a passer/playmaker and rarely take backhand shots. I'd rather use a curve that emphasizes my assets than one that neutralizes them.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:54 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Been using a neutral, closed faced toe curve (Zetterberg/Cammalleri) for the last 6-7 months. First time on the ice with a open faced heel curve (Easton Parise/Drury).

Needless to say, it felt a bit weird. I can see why people like using it though. Cupping the puck, toe drags are a lot easier. Saucer passes are a lot easier to do. Can get up a high shot really quick.

I haven't fully adapted to doing backhanders with this twig yet, but it definitely feels a lot harder to roof a backhander with this than my Cammy stick.
I've been working on my backhand with the Sakic a bit and it's no tea party going up. I find I had to get low, wind up a tiny bit and really get a good shovel motion down and up.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:50 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Last night my team lost a real heart breaker. It was a frustrating game all around since the team we were playing only has a couple skill guys and the rest are there to just goon it up. We play in a no check league but this team kept knocking us around and we were not getting the calls. The real kicker was that with 45 seconds left the other team took a shot and our goalie covered it with his glove. He had it for so long that everyone thought the play was dead and I swore I heard a whistle, but just then a guy from their team dives at our goalie is able to dislodge the puck from under his glove and into the net. No one could believe it but the ref gave him the goal.

We missed a ton of chances though so it was out fault for not winning the game outright but that one still stung and it's hard not to blame a ref when something like that happens.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:34 PM
rayau

Took my Nexus 1000 stick out for the first time. I must say, its impressive.

Loading the stick seemed easier to me, and my shots appeared to have speed. I also like the feel of the puck on the Nexus as well. Its not as "pingy" as the X:60s I've been using.

I still need to get used of the shape of the shaft. Coming from the Vapor line, I find the squarish shaft tougher to hold. The Nexus feels thicker than the X:60, and my top hand was actually getting tired near the end of the stick & puck session.

I need to work on is keeping my slapshots down. Quite a few of my shots went over the net. I'm using the same curve as I had previously on my X:60, so I wonder if the flex profile is partially causing the increased lift. I wasn't having this issue before.

Just a warning: the Nexus feels/plays a whippier than its flex rating. I have a 67 intermediate, and it is quite different than a 67 in an X:60. The flex profile may also be responsible this feel.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Danglous

Today I signed a lease for a house about 5 mins from an ice rink

Old
08-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nice! I just agreed with a landlord for a house 5 minutes from A rink. There's plenty of space in the basement too for some stickhandling...

Old
08-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd much prefer the Nexus with Vapor dimensions. The boxy sticks feel wrong. Wish there were more top hand flex sticks out there. Going up to a 75 flex with a Nexus might be a fun experiment.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Today, I was finally able to try out a right-handed stick to see what it felt like. Was a complete failure with it, can't lift the puck, footwork was all wrong, felt awful. I think I'll stick to shooting left, the initial awkwardness of it was probably that when I started playing after a long gap I came back and started playing goalie where I play glove right, then after a month of that went back to skating out as well, where I shoot left. Feels fine by now.

Also, my new skates arrived while I was at the rink. Wish they'd shown up an hour earlier or so, so I could break them in today.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:55 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

Exact same here.
I've been using a pm9(Malkin, Zetterberg) for about 2 years, but a got a Boedker pro-stock APX with a Drury-like crurve.

Love everyting about it, but I can't keep my slappers down, and can get a backhand up.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:51 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Today, I was finally able to try out a right-handed stick to see what it felt like. Was a complete failure with it, can't lift the puck, footwork was all wrong, felt awful. I think I'll stick to shooting left, the initial awkwardness of it was probably that when I started playing after a long gap I came back and started playing goalie where I play glove right, then after a month of that went back to skating out as well, where I shoot left. Feels fine by now.

Also, my new skates arrived while I was at the rink. Wish they'd shown up an hour earlier or so, so I could break them in today.
What kind of skates did you get?

Old
08-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
What kind of skates did you get?
Bauer Supreme ONE20's. On clearance for a very cheap price.

I'll honestly be surprised if I get more than about 6 months use out of them, but they'll tide me over until I can afford a better pair, and hopefully it won't take me more than like 2-3 months in order to be able to afford something nicer.

This thread is why I ended up replacing my old skates.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Bought a E700 with a Bauer Re-Akt cage.

The cage scrapes the screws on the side a bit, but other than that, I'd say this is about as light as a helmet-cage combo can get. The two together is probably lighter than my old helmet itself.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:35 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Finally got my Bauer One80 ice skates converted to roller skates. I also took them out for a 2 hour spin at the outdoor rink here. Man, turning/stopping/going backwards is so different. I can go just as fast skating forward and forward crossovers but not so much on the rest.

Closed Thread