Good call on a GDT.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Inflict
Viking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Love it. Heres hoping for Parise or maybe we can poach Latendresse from the Wild.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:49 AM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Good call on a GDT.
Even better call on barney!

Old
07-01-2012, 02:48 AM
PostmanPat1919

In my heart we sign Parise and Suter, in my mind we probably end up re-signing Tanner Glass...

Old
07-01-2012, 02:58 AM
TroubaFan1

It would be nice to see the Jets make something happen in the next few days.

Old
07-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Tintin's Ghost

For the last few weeks, one of Chevy's main talking points anytime he's in front of a camera is that he will use free agency to augment the Jets roster, not build it. I expect very little from the Jets over next few days and zero activity with any big names.

Our biggest summer (re-)signing will be Kane, and it should be. We need to build around this guy.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:39 AM
SCP Guy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
For the last few weeks, one of Chevy's main talking points anytime he's in front of a camera is that he will use free agency to augment the Jets roster, not build it. I expect very little from the Jets over next few days and zero activity with any big names.

Our biggest summer (re-)signing will be Kane, and it should be. We need to build around this guy.
If you keep making so much sense you will soon be banned from this board lol

Stick with the plan Chevy this is year 2 of a 5 year effort to become a team that can make a little playoff run

Old
07-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer

I'm hoping we can pull at least one signing off. That'd be neat.

07-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post

Sigh, I expect this as well. Urgh. Being patient works only to a certain degree, you have to add guys, this team is ready NOW to start becoming a real team, guys like Kane are a mere 4 years away from UFA status (and if build around a one dimensional winger we are completely screwed, IMO) this team needs to start making steps forward, it has been treading water for 4 years. You don't have to blow everything on the top guy, but solid smart signings is what gets you there (guys like Scuderi, Mitchell played key roles in LAK, Rafalski, Bertuzzi, Clearly in DET, etc). Overpaying a little in UFA is not the end of the world, it's not like we have a ton of unsigned fantastic young talent outside of Kane and Bogosian...

Old
07-01-2012, 07:15 AM
DWD

I am not going to get to excited or disappointed with what happens in the next 2 weeks.

At least we will get to see Chevys vision of the future in regards to a few of our prospects. What he does or does not do will be very telling. We will know in a few weeks if Postma, Kulda or Machacek have a future with the Jets. If he signs a few more guys then their chances are slim. At their age the future is now.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:27 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
It would be nice to see the Jets make something happen in the next few days.
Yeah, but not very likely.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:39 AM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

I'm predicting Tootoo signs with the Jets. Just a hunch. And he'll sell a ton of jerseys.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:45 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Sigh, I expect this as well. Urgh. Being patient works only to a certain degree, you have to add guys, this team is ready NOW to start becoming a real team, guys like Kane are a mere 4 years away from UFA status (and if build around a one dimensional winger we are completely screwed, IMO) this team needs to start making steps forward, it has been treading water for 4 years. You don't have to blow everything on the top guy, but solid smart signings is what gets you there (guys like Scuderi, Mitchell played key roles in LAK, Rafalski, Bertuzzi, Clearly in DET, etc). Overpaying a little in UFA is not the end of the world, it's not like we have a ton of unsigned fantastic young talent outside of Kane and Bogosian...
Exactly my thoughts as well HC.

Our best players are here for about another 4ish years before we stand the likelihood of either trading them for prospects because they want to go to FA, or loosing them for nothing.

We can talk about creating an atmosphere where people will want to stay, but not everyone will play ball when it comes right down to it... may say all the right things, but facing a big payday turn around and do the exact opposite.

The "slow and steady wins the race" approach gets the team together just at the time we look at Kane, Wheeler, Ladd, Bogosian etc... all coming up to FA. The guts could be torn out of the plan just when it's apparently "ready" to bear fruit.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:47 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yea I think they would go get it if it was there but I fear there really isn't much to go get this year. It kind of chokes me because I believe TNSE really want to make moves to improve the team now while working with the long term vision and plan draft and develop

the only good news about today is my expectations couldn't be lower.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Exactly my thoughts as well HC.

Our best players are here for about another 4ish years before we stand the likelihood of either trading them for prospects because they want to go to FA, or loosing them for nothing.

We can talk about creating an atmosphere where people will want to stay, but not everyone will play ball when it comes right down to it... may say all the right things, but facing a big payday turn around and do the exact opposite.

The "slow and steady wins the race" approach gets the team together just at the time we look at Kane, Wheeler, Ladd, Bogosian etc... all coming up to FA. The guts could be torn out of the plan just when it's apparently "ready" to bear fruit.
I 100% agree (and I'm sure our Managment and ownership are well aware) I am just not sure what our options are today to address the challenge.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Canadienjet

Be intresting to see what the Jets will do..

Guys have any ideas or predictions?

Old
07-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Gil Fisher

There seems to be far too much cash in the market than talent. It should make for some massive overspend on marginal talent. I'd rather be on the hook for Parise's $75m than Gaustad's $30m.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:00 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
There seems to be far too much cash in the market than talent. It should make for some massive overspend on marginal talent. I'd rather be on the hook for Parise's $75m than Gaustad's $30m.
Very, very true: cap has gone up, and the FA market is quite thin this year (other than a couple of high profile players).

I think we're definitely going to see some ridiculous overpayments for marginal talent.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Well I knew I was exaggerating on Gaustad, but I didn't think I'd be that far off. I think he sold himself short, skirting the market.

Is there another shutdown faceoff guy available who would be better than Cormier?

Old
07-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I 100% agree (and I'm sure our Managment and ownership are well aware) I am just not sur what our options are today to address the challenge.
Totally agree with this and your other posr. I really feel chevys likely to take unfair criticism for not signing anyone "good" when the reality is there probably 10 players total in fa that could be more then third liners. I really feel well probabky "try" to do a lot more then we the fans will end up seeing

Old
07-01-2012, 09:15 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'm hoping for one or two of:

Prust
Tootoo
Latendresse
Mueller
Brule
Wolski

Old
07-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Sign Jokinen, Konopka, & Allen. Re-sign Wellwood & Mason.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Ziggy66

I hope we sign one of the following.

Prust
Tootoo
Mueller
Jokinen
Konopka
Monster

If we dont...then I just hope my hangover headache goes away.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

FA exists for this franchise as much as it did 5-10 years ago. The excitement of getting our team back is lost to the reality that Winnipeg as a city is cheap and uneventful.

At least we can all look forward to the lockout for half the year

Closed Thread