HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Be the GM: Free Agency/ off season.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2012, 05:39 PM
  #1
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 50
Be the GM: Free Agency/ off season.

So, we have an interesting rift here on HF Jets. We have the Chevy is doing what he can let him be side, and the OMG why don't we sign some good players side.

So I thought it might be interesting for us to see what we can come up with. Posters who don't think the Jets are doing enough on day 2 of Free Agency, tell us what YOU would try to accomplish in the GM chair.

The rules are simple. You must tell us exactly what you would offer: Dollars, structure, years and signing bonus.

The rest of the community will voice their opinion on whether or not A> the player would accept, or B> we would be happy with the deal as fans.

This is an opportunity for all those who think our GM is not doing a good job, and that they are getting ganged up on by the 'kool aid' drinkers to prove their point.

Anyone game?

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:47 PM
  #2
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 50
I will start things off with JDZ's suggestion:

Either:

PA Parenteau, or
Jiri Hudler

4 years, 5MM per 20MM.

Would either player in your opinion accept this offer? Would you as a fan?

My opinion is I would not do it for Parenteau for sure. Considering his career to this point, the players he played with to get his NHL points, I think it is too long and too rich.

Jiri Hudler: We don't know what the Jets offered for Hudler. It's hard to say if he would accept the deal, and I am leaning towards not liking it as a fan. It is an overpay, but not obscenely so. My issue is he doesn't help us at centre, and he is small. Giving him 20MM could backfire.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:52 PM
  #3
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
We have the Chevy is doing what he can let him be side, and the OMG why don't we sign some good players side.
Not sure if that's exactly what it is. Some people are saying stick with the draft, and don't overpay for UFA's, others are saying it's not a big deal to sign some UFA's. If Chevy can or cannot get the deal done is a whole different side of the story. Clearly from the conference yesterday he is definitely making offers.

With that being said I'm game. I'd have no problem offering:

Jokinen 4.5 mil for 4 years. He's exactly what we need and we're exactly what he wants.

Wellwood 2.2 mil for 2 years. We have no depth in RW behind Wheeler.

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Little - Wellwood
Pony - Burmistrov - Antropov
Cormier/Machacek - Slater - Thorburn

We now have a legit 3rd line.

I have no idea who we should sign for D, or just keep Flood.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
  #4
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,984
vCash: 50
I would have no problem taking PA at 4 years at 5m a year. I have watched a few games with the Islanders this past season and he is a great player. He could replace Wellwood quite easily and IMO has a better upside and more potential.

The answer for the question I feel you are digging for is....would he sign in Winnipeg...probably not.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:03 PM
  #5
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
For the record, I have no problems with Chevy and stand by his decisions, but this sounds like a fun game so I'll play along .

Player: LW Alexei Ponikarovsky
Contract: 1 year x 2 million
What he brings: a big body presence on the third line who can chip in around 15 goals. He also has familiarity and chemistry with Nik Antropov
Who he replaces: LW Tanner Glass
Who will eventually replace him: LW Carl Klingberg

Player: C Olli Jokinen
Contract: 4 years x 4 million
What he brings: around 20 goals and 50 points as a second line center. Last year he played with Jarome Iginla, so perhaps he would have good chemistry with our own Iginla-lite, Evander Kane.
Who he replaces: C Alex Burmistrov (as a 2nd line center)
Who will eventually replace him: C Mark Scheifele or C Alex Burmistrov

Player: RW Jaromir Jagr
Contract: 2 years x 5 million
What he brings: Experience and leadership. Last year he helped Claude Giroux mature into a superstar, so perhaps he could help our young players as well. He should also be good for around 20 goals and 50 points (let's say 40 points at worst in the second year). Winnipeg might not be on his short list of preferred teams, but just like Whitney and Brodeur, if a team offers him two years instead of just one, I think he takes it regardless of the team. Signing a big name like Jagr, even at age 40, would also help the image of our team and perhaps help convince other UFAs to sign here in the future.
Who he replaces: RW Kyle Wellwood
Who will eventually replace him: RW Ivan Telegin or RW Bryan Little

Player: G Dwayne Roloson
Contract: 1 year x 1 million
What he brings: About 20 games as a goalie. He looked bad last year, but he played 40 games at age 42. However, I think he would he'd be okay with about 20 starts.
Who he replaces: G Chris Mason
Who will eventually replace him: G Edward Pasquale or a UFA goaltender

Total incoming salary for 2012-2013: 12 million
Total salary cap space for 2012-2013: 16 million

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Jagr
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Postma - Stuart

Pavelec
Roloson


Last edited by WJG: 07-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.
WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:05 PM
  #6
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Yes I would not be upset one bit if we signed PA for 5mill 4 yeara

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:07 PM
  #7
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 50
Here's my lineup on CapGeek:

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculato...r.php?id=10424

But with Machacek in for Miettenen. It is at 21 players @ 56.7 million, without a backup goalie signed. Even good backups rarely go for much so I'd imagine eventually it would be 22 @ 58 million or so. 3.8 above the floor.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
  #8
oldunclehue
Registered User
 
oldunclehue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
For the record, I have no problems with Chevy and stand by his decisions, but this sounds like a fun game so I'll play along .

Player: LW Alexei Ponikarovsky
Contract: 1 year x 2 million
What he brings: a big body presence on the third line who can chip in around 15 goals. He also has familiarity and chemistry with Nik Antropov
Who he replaces: LW Tanner Glass
Who will eventually replace him: LW Carl Klingberg

Player: C Olli Jokinen
Contract: 4 years x 4 million
What he brings: around 20 goals and 50 points as a second line center. Last year he played with Jarome Iginla, so perhaps he would have good chemistry with our own Iginla-lite, Evander Kane.
Who he replaces: C Alex Burmistrov (as a 2nd line center)
Who will eventually replace him: C Mark Scheifele or C Alex Burmistrov

Player: RW Jaromir Jagr
Contract: 2 years x 5 million
What he brings: Experience and leadership. Last year he helped Claude Giroux mature into a superstar, so perhaps he could help our young players as well. He should also be good for around 20 goals and 50 points (let's say 40 points at worst in the second year).
Who he replaces: RW Kyle Wellwood
Who will eventually replace him: RW Ivan Telegin or RW Bryan Little

Player: G Dwayne Roloson
Contract: 1 year x 1 million
What he brings: About 20 games as a goalie. He looked bad last year, but he played 40 games at age 42. However, I think he would he'd be okay with about 20 starts.
Who he replaces: G Chris Mason
Who will eventually replace him: G Edward Pasquale or a UFA goaltender

Total incoming salary for 2012-2013: 12 million
Total remaining salary for 2012-2013: 16 million

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Jagr
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Postma - Stuart

Pavelec
Roloson

Not worried about Chevy's way of doing things yet. But I'd love to be a fly on the wall to find out:

A: Chevy isn't interested in over paying for mid level players
B: No one is interested in our small market town.


Of who's left: I would love to get a guy like Mike Richards some how, proven guy, leader and a guy to build the team around. If he likes to party, simply put a cap on it.

Jokinen is a solid option, but I don't want to over pay for a guy on the outer edge of his prime.

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
  #9
oldunclehue
Registered User
 
oldunclehue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
I know mike richards isn't an FA but in a trade I'd like to see him for Kane or something!

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:10 PM
  #10
supahdupah
Registered Boozer
 
supahdupah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
So, we have an interesting rift here on HF Jets. We have the Chevy is doing what he can let him be side, and the OMG why don't we sign some good players side.

So I thought it might be interesting for us to see what we can come up with. Posters who don't think the Jets are doing enough on day 2 of Free Agency, tell us what YOU would try to accomplish in the GM chair.

The rules are simple. You must tell us exactly what you would offer: Dollars, structure, years and signing bonus.

The rest of the community will voice their opinion on whether or not A> the player would accept, or B> we would be happy with the deal as fans.

This is an opportunity for all those who think our GM is not doing a good job, and that they are getting ganged up on by the 'kool aid' drinkers to prove their point.

Anyone game?
Nice. There is a "rational side" or some raving lunatics who don't agree with you. I would like to add my side.

We have our current roster, which is mediocre at best. That's it.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
  #11
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Al Montoya - 2 way contract for league minimum

2004 - 6th overall selection. Has not met his potential, and has not been given an opportunity to play on a good team. With Winnipeg 1 year older the prospects should be 1 year better.

Gilbert Brule - 1 way contract for minimum for 2 years + 1 year team option.

2005 - 6th overall selection. has not met his potential, and I believe will thrieve if given the same role as Wellwood. He is only 25 and has the potential to be very talented. I am not sure the likelihood of him accepting, however, I would offer him security.

Ryan Parent - 1 way contract for league minimum for 2 years.

2005 - 18th overall selection, only 25 and would be a better defensive option than Mark Flood.

Alexandre Picard - 1 way contract for league minimum (550K?) for 2 years.

2004 - 8th overall selection, only 26. He was the Calder Cup MVP I feel he has the potential to be a solid 3rd line LW.

Alexander Semin - 3 years if the price is right say (2M I'd do it)

I would put him on a line with Kane and Burmistrov and let them go buck wild on the 2nd line together. I think he would enhance the game of Kane and Burmistrov a great deal.

I wouldn't have signed Ponikarovsky and instead Picard.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
  #12
MrWigglez
Registered User
 
MrWigglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Player: RW Jaromir Jagr
Contract: 2 years x 5 million
What he brings: Experience and leadership. Last year he helped Claude Giroux mature into a superstar, so perhaps he could help our young players as well. He should also be good for around 20 goals and 50 points (let's say 40 points at worst in the second year). Winnipeg might not be on his short list of preferred teams, but just like Whitney and Brodeur, if a team offers him two years instead of just one, I think he takes it regardless of the team. Signing a big name like Jagr, even at age 40, would also help the image of our team and perhaps help convince other UFAs to sign here in the future.
Who he replaces: RW Kyle Wellwood
Who will eventually replace him: RW Ivan Telegin or RW Bryan Little
I like your list other than this. Not because I wouldn't like to see Jagr on the team but because there is next to no chance he would ever sign here. I know you said Winnipeg might not be on his short list, but an ageing superstar like Jagr can go anywhere he wants for either fame/money/cup.

Jokinen on the second line to replace Burmi would be ideal. I wonder if he would be willing to sign a 2ish year deal so when Scheifele is able to make the jump we could replace Jokinen with him right away. If he is willing to sign for 2 years, I would be very willing to overpay him to do so.

MrWigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
  #13
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka
 
JustBeCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winterpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Nice. There is a "rational side" or some raving lunatics who don't agree with you. I would like to add my side.

We have our current roster, which is mediocre at best. That's it.
Soooo..... as a GM, what do you plan on doing to improve that?? That isn't really a side, more like a statement.....

JustBeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
  #14
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,158
vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post

Alexander Semin - 3 years if the price is right say (2M I'd do it)

I would put him on a line with Kane and Burmistrov and let them go buck wild on the 2nd line together. I think he would enhance the game of Kane and Burmistrov a great deal.

I wouldn't have signed Ponikarovsky and instead Picard.
Are you saying sign Semin for 2 mil?
He's gonna get waaaaaay more than 2 mil per year. I think every team in the league would take a flyer on him at that price.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
  #15
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigglez View Post
I like your list other than this. Not because I wouldn't like to see Jagr on the team but because there is next to no chance he would ever sign here. I know you said Winnipeg might not be on his short list, but an ageing superstar like Jagr can go anywhere he wants for either fame/money/cup.

Jokinen on the second line to replace Burmi would be ideal. I wonder if he would be willing to sign a 2ish year deal so when Scheifele is able to make the jump we could replace Jokinen with him right away. If he is willing to sign for 2 years, I would be very willing to overpay him to do so.
Yeah, I knew it was a long shot. I'd be just as happy if we brought back Wellwood instead.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
  #16
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Not sure if that's exactly what it is. Some people are saying stick with the draft, and don't overpay for UFA's, others are saying it's not a big deal to sign some UFA's. If Chevy can or cannot get the deal done is a whole different side of the story. Clearly from the conference yesterday he is definitely making offers.

With that being said I'm game. I'd have no problem offering:

Jokinen 4.5 mil for 4 years. He's exactly what we need and we're exactly what he wants.

Wellwood 2.2 mil for 2 years. We have no depth in RW behind Wheeler.

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Little - Wellwood
Pony - Burmistrov - Antropov
Cormier/Machacek - Slater - Thorburn

We now have a legit 3rd line.

I have no idea who we should sign for D, or just keep Flood.
I like both the Jokinen deals and the Welly deals, though I think the Jokinen deal is a bit long for me (prefer 2 or 3 years).

I think there is a moderate possibility that either or both will sign here. I also think that Chevy has probably offered around what you are asking. Nice!

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
  #17
KingJet*
Welcome Back
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
I think the Players we should try and sign are Jagr and Desbiens for a fourth liner.

For a potential back up... I'd try for Dan Ellis, Marty Turco, Alex Auld, Mark Dekanich and Timo Pielmeier wouldn't be a bad idea to try and sign, because say if Pasquale makes it, he was also a fan favourite when St John's had a QMJHL team, could play for them in the AHL.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
  #18
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
For the record, I have no problems with Chevy and stand by his decisions, but this sounds like a fun game so I'll play along .

Player: LW Alexei Ponikarovsky
Contract: 1 year x 2 million
What he brings: a big body presence on the third line who can chip in around 15 goals. He also has familiarity and chemistry with Nik Antropov
Who he replaces: LW Tanner Glass
Who will eventually replace him: LW Carl Klingberg

Player: C Olli Jokinen
Contract: 4 years x 4 million
What he brings: around 20 goals and 50 points as a second line center. Last year he played with Jarome Iginla, so perhaps he would have good chemistry with our own Iginla-lite, Evander Kane.
Who he replaces: C Alex Burmistrov (as a 2nd line center)
Who will eventually replace him: C Mark Scheifele or C Alex Burmistrov

Player: RW Jaromir Jagr
Contract: 2 years x 5 million
What he brings: Experience and leadership. Last year he helped Claude Giroux mature into a superstar, so perhaps he could help our young players as well. He should also be good for around 20 goals and 50 points (let's say 40 points at worst in the second year). Winnipeg might not be on his short list of preferred teams, but just like Whitney and Brodeur, if a team offers him two years instead of just one, I think he takes it regardless of the team. Signing a big name like Jagr, even at age 40, would also help the image of our team and perhaps help convince other UFAs to sign here in the future.
Who he replaces: RW Kyle Wellwood
Who will eventually replace him: RW Ivan Telegin or RW Bryan Little

Player: G Dwayne Roloson
Contract: 1 year x 1 million
What he brings: About 20 games as a goalie. He looked bad last year, but he played 40 games at age 42. However, I think he would he'd be okay with about 20 starts.
Who he replaces: G Chris Mason
Who will eventually replace him: G Edward Pasquale or a UFA goaltender

Total incoming salary for 2012-2013: 12 million
Total salary cap space for 2012-2013: 16 million

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Jagr
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Postma - Stuart

Pavelec
Roloson
Poni is here, so mission accomplished
Jagr: I like the deal but I don't think he will sign here. I actually see him going to Edmonton after they free up cap space.
Jokinen: The length I don't love, but if we were getting him for 4 per, I could live with it. I'm not sure if the $ is enough for him to sign here.
Roloson: Do not want. At any price. He is too old IMHO.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
  #19
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Nice. There is a "rational side" or some raving lunatics who don't agree with you. I would like to add my side.

We have our current roster, which is mediocre at best. That's it.
If you don't want to participate in the thread, that is fine. Ignore it, don't spam it.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
  #20
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Are you saying sign Semin for 2 mil?
He's gonna get waaaaaay more than 2 mil per year. I think every team in the league would take a flyer on him at that price.
Maybe but they say hes a locker room cancer. I think he will end up in Detroit becuase Detroit might make a move if they dont get Parise. Id give him 4M if I had to but I don't know the inside going rate for a player with his reputation.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:57 PM
  #21
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
Al Montoya - 2 way contract for league minimum

2004 - 6th overall selection. Has not met his potential, and has not been given an opportunity to play on a good team. With Winnipeg 1 year older the prospects should be 1 year better.

Gilbert Brule - 1 way contract for minimum for 2 years + 1 year team option.

2005 - 6th overall selection. has not met his potential, and I believe will thrieve if given the same role as Wellwood. He is only 25 and has the potential to be very talented. I am not sure the likelihood of him accepting, however, I would offer him security.

Ryan Parent - 1 way contract for league minimum for 2 years.

2005 - 18th overall selection, only 25 and would be a better defensive option than Mark Flood.

Alexandre Picard - 1 way contract for league minimum (550K?) for 2 years.

2004 - 8th overall selection, only 26. He was the Calder Cup MVP I feel he has the potential to be a solid 3rd line LW.

Alexander Semin - 3 years if the price is right say (2M I'd do it)

I would put him on a line with Kane and Burmistrov and let them go buck wild on the 2nd line together. I think he would enhance the game of Kane and Burmistrov a great deal.

I wouldn't have signed Ponikarovsky and instead Picard.
That is fine, but does anyone honestly believe any of these players would sign for the dollars you are offering. I say there is almost a 0% chance.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
  #22
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,715
vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
So, we have an interesting rift here on HF Jets. We have the Chevy is doing what he can let him be side, and the OMG why don't we sign some good players side.

So I thought it might be interesting for us to see what we can come up with. Posters who don't think the Jets are doing enough on day 2 of Free Agency, tell us what YOU would try to accomplish in the GM chair.

The rules are simple. You must tell us exactly what you would offer: Dollars, structure, years and signing bonus.

The rest of the community will voice their opinion on whether or not A> the player would accept, or B> we would be happy with the deal as fans.

This is an opportunity for all those who think our GM is not doing a good job, and that they are getting ganged up on by the 'kool aid' drinkers to prove their point.

Anyone game?
Enough said. It's day 2. People been drinking too much of the TSN kool aid, believing it really is a "frenzy" and that it all takes place in one crazy rush. (Hint: they want you to watch so they can sell you stuff....)

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
  #23
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Poni is here, so mission accomplished
Jagr: I like the deal but I don't think he will sign here. I actually see him going to Edmonton after they free up cap space.
Jokinen: The length I don't love, but if we were getting him for 4 per, I could live with it. I'm not sure if the $ is enough for him to sign here.
Roloson: Do not want. At any price. He is too old IMHO.
Yeah, I might have been a little optimistic with regards to Jagr. As mentioned above, he'll probably take into account more than just money when he makes his decision.

Therefore, he's my slightly altered plan from above:

LW Ponikarovsky: 1 year x 2 million
C Jokinen: 4 years x 4 million
RW Andrei Kostitsyn: 4 years x 4 million
G Dan Ellis: 2 years x 2 million (according to Wiebe we made Ellis an offer)

I know paying 4 million to both Jokinen and Kostitsyn might be a red flag to some, but the fact is we need to improve our top six. Jokinen is the best option at center and Kostitsyn, while worse than Jagr and Semin, is probably the winger we have the best shot at signing.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
  #24
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Yeah, I might have been a little optimistic with regards to Jagr. As mentioned above, he'll probably take into account more than just money when he makes his decision.

Therefore, he's my slightly altered plan from above:

LW Ponikarovsky: 1 year x 2 million
C Jokinen: 4 years x 4 million
RW Andrei Kostitsyn: 4 years x 4 million
G Dan Ellis: 2 years x 2 million

I know paying 4 million to both Jokinen and Kostitsyn might be a red flag to some, but the fact is we need to improve our top six. Jokinen is the best option at center and Kostitsyn, while worse than Jagr and Semin, is probably the winger we have the best shot at signing.
I don't really know much about Kostitsyn's situation. He is playing in Nashville with his bro, right? Do you think that means he re-signs there?

If he accepted I would do 4 years at 4 per.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
  #25
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
That is fine, but does anyone honestly believe any of these players would sign for the dollars you are offering. I say there is almost a 0% chance.
Why do you say that? Picard was in the AHL for the last 3 years and had a break through playoffs. There is a 100% chance that he would take a 1 way contract.

Al Montoya would probably not sign unless he was given a 1 way contract. I bet he signs for league minimum for 2 years, he hasn't established anything but I feel he will improve. Id pay him more than minimum but I would start at these points.

if I was Chevy I firmly would go after these players and build around them instead of Ponikarovskys who is 32 and is established. He probably won't improve his stock.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.