Notices

2012 Free Agent Frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 10:57 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Apparently they were asking for Couturier, so it would probably be Burmistrov + for Ryan. Considering we have 5 C and one up and coming, it's something to consider. We could probably wait until the trade deadline to see where we're at. But I'm definitely getting ahead of myself here.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
sully1410

Kane is a power forward. He has a nose for the net. Skates hard. Hits hard.

Somehow, I don't think he's going anywhere. He may even win a Selke before all is said and done.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:11 PM
MrWigglez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Apparently they were asking for Couturier, so it would probably be Burmistrov + for Ryan. Considering we have 5 C and one up and coming, it's something to consider. We could probably wait until the trade deadline to see where we're at. But I'm definitely getting ahead of myself here.
As I was sorta saying in another thread, it kinda feels like Burmi is the odd man out these days. If all it took was Burmi+ to get Ryan I would do it (depending on what the + is of course)

Old
07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I think we have already improved, although still not likely a playoff team. The remaining core have been together thru last season's turmoil and have improved thoughout the season. I don't expect the same slow start.
Last year we were slotted in with a terrible "Plan B" schedule cobbled together on short notice, when the Atlanta franchise situation went pear-shaped. The coaches and players were unfamiliar with each other. We had a lot of games on the road early on, so less practice time at home early on as well. I would be very disappointed if we don't start off next season better than last season.

Speaking of next season, or lack thereof, what happens to multi-year contracts during a lockout? Do they slide or is a year lopped off?

Old
07-02-2012, 11:32 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
So: with the Poni and Olli signings and Glass leaving, based on last years stats we have lost 16pts in scoring, and gained 94pts. I know it doesn't work like that, but to gain that sort of offensive upside WITHOUT giving up any assets, is pretty exciting. Love the length and dollar value of these deals as well.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:40 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets View Post
Ufa goalies left. In no specific order.
Brent johnson
Ty conklin
Dan ellis
Al montoya
Ex moose Alex auld
I personally would prefer conklin or ellis but have feeling we turn to ex moose Alex auld.
Pasquale has been in the AHL for a couple of seasons, and apparently did well last year. What are his odds?

Old
07-02-2012, 11:45 PM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Pasquale has been in the AHL for a couple of seasons, and apparently did well last year. What are his odds?
I'd prefer not to have our young starter just coming into his own backed up by someone even younger. If we could get a vet to back him up, teach him some things, that would be a real benefit to us.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
It was his first full AHL season, and he spent part of it splitting starts three ways before winning the starter position from Aebischer.

He needs at least one full year as a bona fide AHL starter under his belt. Coming up here and playing behind Pavs would not help his development right now nearly as much as continuing to improve in the AHL.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:46 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets View Post
Ufa goalies left. In no specific order.
Brent johnson
Ty conklin
Dan ellis
Al montoya
Ex moose Alex auld
I personally would prefer conklin or ellis but have feeling we turn to ex moose Alex auld.
For what it's worth, these are two tweets yesterday from Ken Wiebe from the Winnipeg Sun:

Quote:
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports
Hearing the #NHLJets are one of several teams to have discussions with C Olli Jokinen. They would add size and offence with him as well
Quote:
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports
A source just told me the #NHLJets are one of the teams in the mix to sign G Dan Ellis
Since he was right about the first, he could also be right about the second. In which case, it looks like Dan Ellis might be our man.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
For what it's worth, these are two tweets yesterday from Ken Wiebe from the Winnipeg Sun:

Since he was right about the first, he could also be right about the second. In which case, it looks like Dan Ellis might be our man.
Good news.

I think Ellis is the best of our options.

Edit: just found this: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._accommod.html

Hard to judge Detroit goalies as the team plays so much puck possession, but I heard he was good.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:50 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
So: with the Poni and Olli signings and Glass leaving, based on last years stats we have lost 16pts in scoring, and gained 94pts. I know it doesn't work like that, but to gain that sort of offensive upside WITHOUT giving up any assets, is pretty exciting. Love the length and dollar value of these deals as well.
And baby you aint seen nothin yet.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Good news.

I think Ellis is the best of our options.
Totally agree. Ellis needs to adjust his game, was good when playing with Predators.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
As much as I would like Ellis as our backup, I hope his attitude has changed over the last little while. The whole Twitter thing was ridiculous (him complaining about money). I know Guerzy mentioned it a while back but I thought I'd link to the story.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...urn=nhl,267868

07-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
As much as I would like Ellis as our backup, I hope his attitude has changed over the last little while. The whole Twitter thing was ridiculous (him complaining about money). I know Guerzy mentioned it a while back but I thought I'd link to the story.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...urn=nhl,267868
Don't see that as a major issue.

I'd be hella pissed if my salary was cut 18%. Millionaire or not.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:40 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Anyone know why Ellis has only played ~10 games the last two seasons?

I'm hoping our back up can play closer to 20-25 games.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:54 AM
phamJET

how would you guys feel about Jagr?

his 35 assists look really good on paper.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:54 AM
anatsu

Winnipeg Sun speculated about should we sign Alex Semin. I'm all in for it if we can sign him. Give two years and 5M per and it's good.

I think it's interesting that people speak about Semin as "lazy Russian" and about Parise "American hero". And when you look at their stats, they show that the difference isn't that big between those two:

Semin: 469gp 197g+211a=408 pts, +65

and

Parise: 502gp 194g+216a=410 pts, +57

And then that "ULTIMATE COACHKILLER"-point.. Do you guys have any guesses how many coaches Semin had in WSH and how many Parise in NJ?

Semin had 3 and Parise... yeah, 8.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:02 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'd love Semin, but I think it'll take closer to 7 million on a multi-year deal for him. Once Parise signs, he'll be the most sought after UFA forward.

Still, the possibility of him on the Jets gets me excited.

Kane-Jokinen-Semin
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Ponikarovsky-Burmistrov-Antropov
Miettinen-Slater-Thorburn

Now that is the line up of a playoff team.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:05 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
Winnipeg Sun speculated about should we sign Alex Semin. I'm all in for it if we can sign him. Give two years and 5M per and it's good.

I think it's interesting that people speak about Semin as "lazy Russian" and about Parise "American hero". And when you look at their stats, they show that the difference isn't that big between those two:

Semin: 469gp 197g+211a=408 pts, +65

and

Parise: 502gp 194g+216a=410 pts, +57

And then that "ULTIMATE COACHKILLER"-point.. Do you guys have any guesses how many coaches Semin had in WSH and how many Parise in NJ?

Semin had 3 and Parise... yeah, 8.
Semin wouldn't get as much grief as he does if his nationality was something other than Russian.

Quote:
Anyone know why Ellis has only played ~10 games the last two seasons?

I'm hoping our back up can play closer to 20-25 games.
He's coming off a groin injury.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:23 AM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
Semin wouldn't get as much grief as he does if his nationality was something other than Russian.
Sadly I must agree...

If we could somehow get Semin on a short term contract (like Olli) I would be willing to give him 6+M/season.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:24 AM
anatsu

Heck. I would even give three years, 18M for Semin, if it's what it takes to get him here.

As WJG pointed out, Semin could be "the last piece of puzzle" when talking about playoffs.

Semin. I want.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:28 AM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
Heck. I would even give three years, 18M for Semin, if it's what it takes to get him here.

As WJG pointed out, Semin could be "the last piece of puzzle" when talking about playoffs.

Semin. I want.
Not only could he be the last piece of the puzzle, it would prevent the need to rush any of our players to the NHL before they're ready to fill a spot. If we really are building from within then preventing damage to a player by rushing his progress should be very important.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:32 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
What would be the plus though? I said awhile ago that I would only move Burmi for someone incredible, and I do believe that too be Ryan.

I guess we could mosey on over to the Ducks board, but I garuntee that the responses would all be "only if the + is Kane"

Bobby Ryan is a great player...but the difference b/w him and Burmi is not Evander Kane. I think Kane's power forward edge fits the Jets Modus Operendi, so moving him at all for Bobby Ryan is an exercise in futility, IMO.

Another interesting proposal would be Burmi + Enstrom for Ryan +. It gets tricky because in order to get this done, Ducks would for sure have to add. Probably a significant piece as well. Proven 50pt Dmen and more defensively sound then they have any right to be, who's offensive production is improving at the age of 20 centres don't come around every day.

But at this, Enstrom is not easily replaced. He is an asset that should be valued. But like I said, if the deal was right, I'd have to do it.

That would pretty much put us right into the playoffs.

But if the + from the ducks wasn't good enough, I would t even touch this. Burmi and Enstrom would be more then we can afford.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:34 AM
sully1410

Quote:
I'd love Semin, but I think it'll take closer to 7 million on a multi-year deal for him. Once Parise signs, he'll be the most sought after UFA forward.

Still, the possibility of him on the Jets gets me excited.

Kane-Jokinen-Semin
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Ponikarovsky-Burmistrov-Antropov
Miettinen-Slater-Thorburn

Now that is the line up of a playoff team.
A first line full of shoot first forwards...

Interesting.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:42 AM
JetsFan815

I have a feeling that Miettnen is going to be a beast next season

Closed Thread