HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Top 5 announcers

Old
07-01-2012, 02:33 AM
bluesfann

vCash: 500
Top 5 announcers

Any thoughts on this list?

Decent in my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTQNwY66jo

bluesfann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:45 AM
kfox9611

I just graduated from the Broadcasting program at my college and in my opinion, the top 5 are:

1. Pierre Mcguire.. (kidding!) Doc Emerick (NBC)
2. Rick Jeanneret (his son was my radio teacher) (MSG)
3. Chris Cuthburt (TSN)
4. John Kelly (FSMW)
5. Gord Miller (TSN)

obiously Im a little partial to the TSN guys only because I hear them so often. Cuthburt and Miller were both second to none in the Olympics and Miller for the WJHC. Rick Jeanneret is my personal favorite and the reason I got into sports broadcasting. Doc Emerick is one of the only broadcasters that can paint a picture even if your watching the game. And obviously John Kelly because well.. we're all biased to that one!

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 50
I still miss Ken Wilson.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:51 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Surprised JK made this list. I love him, but a lot of opposing fans can't stand him. I miss Ken Wilson too OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:20 AM
WichitaBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Surprised JK made this list. I love him, but a lot of opposing fans can't stand him. I miss Ken Wilson too OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!
More like shocked JK made the list. I grew up with ken wilson, so he'll always be one of the best according to me. I also liked gary thorne when espn did hockey.

WichitaBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:13 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
A lot of St Louis fans like to bash Kelly, but he's very good at his job. He was deserving of the Emmy he won a couple years ago. For an experiment, watch him and mark down how many times he correctly/incorrectly identifies the player making the play on the OPPOSING team. Then watch pretty much any other NHL game and see the difference. If you watch, there are lots of guys that just say, "A Blues player retrieves the puck." Kelly is well prepared and does a fantastic job of calling the play in real time. Its not easy.

He has a mechanical delivery at times, but if you look past that he's actually pretty impressive at the amount of effort he puts into his craft.

Pang is also one of the top in the league at color commentary. They make a great team, too, since Pang helps to loosen up Kelly quite a bit.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
WichitaBlues

Jk is good at identifing players. My problem with him is his exageration of the play. Don't know if its homerism or what. For instance there will be a slapshot that very clearly missed the net by a good amount. While according to JK it missed by inches. It was a drinking game for me and my friends, there were several games we were pretty toasted especially in the brad boyes era.

WichitaBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
PelagicJoe

vCash: 661
Detroit fan here, coming in peace. I always liked Ken Wilson as an announcer. He made those Blues games exciting to watch back in the 1990's.

PelagicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Wilson was pretty homer-ish, but I don't look down upon that as much as some others. I want my team's announcers to pull for them to an extent. Now if they go out of their way to complain about officiating every game, or say completely biased things, it becomes a problem. Getting excited about their team scoring is awesome by me.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:31 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
A lot of St Louis fans like to bash Kelly, but he's very good at his job. He was deserving of the Emmy he won a couple years ago. For an experiment, watch him and mark down how many times he correctly/incorrectly identifies the player making the play on the OPPOSING team. Then watch pretty much any other NHL game and see the difference. If you watch, there are lots of guys that just say, "A Blues player retrieves the puck." Kelly is well prepared and does a fantastic job of calling the play in real time. Its not easy.

He has a mechanical delivery at times, but if you look past that he's actually pretty impressive at the amount of effort he puts into his craft.

Pang is also one of the top in the league at color commentary. They make a great team, too, since Pang helps to loosen up Kelly quite a bit.
I agree. Took me awhile to warm up to Panger, but the little guy has really grown on me(pun intended) and he actually has some pretty decent insight on the game as well. And besides opening up Kelly...I also think his fun loving attitude has really helped loosen up the players and allow them to have some fun and creates a much warmer atmosphere for everyone.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:22 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

JK's Father, the late Dan Kelly was the best, not even close.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:21 PM
PelagicJoe

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Wilson was pretty homer-ish, but I don't look down upon that as much as some others. I want my team's announcers to pull for them to an extent. Now if they go out of their way to complain about officiating every game, or say completely biased things, it becomes a problem. Getting excited about their team scoring is awesome by me.
This

PelagicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:47 PM
TerminatorBlue

I don't really care for John Kelly and I can't stand Doc Emerick, I hear he is a big time *******.

I would rather see Mike Lange or Bob Miller on that list.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Harley83

Darren Pang is one of my favorites because he has a good mix of being professional but also is upbeat and quirky. Panger has also done a better job mixing into the Blues organization than Kelly in my opinion. John Kelly is kind of so-so for me, he looks really nervous but like said above Panger does a good job of loosening him up. John Kelly has a tough time with some names a couple to think of Niklas Hjalmarrson's name (pronounces it Hjarmellson) and of course Woywitka. Kelly has some homerisms but nowhere as bad as Ferderko. I also like Eddie To All You Young Hockey Players Out There Olczyk, even though he is with our rivals.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

I prefer Kelly to Federko. Hoping Chase replaces Federko sooner than later.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Kreegz2

For anyone who's interested here's a video of some clips/soundbites of Ken Wilson's calls that I put up on youtube a few years ago. If anybody has any good calls of his that weren't in there, (especially saves by Fuhr or Joseph. There were so many hair raising calls he made on saves but I don't have a single one.) please let me know.

Kreegz2 is offline   Reply With Quote