HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 UFA season frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
NWShark*

vCash: 500
Pierre Mcguire is a moron. There's a reason he keeps applying for GM jobs and not getting them...

Old
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
If the TSN crew viciously tearing into him on air didn't convince you he's a massive cancer, I don't know what will. Pierre McGuire (while a creep, knows his stuff) absolutely brutally tore into his character, his work ethic, and said ANY team should stay far far away from Alex Semin.
Oh come on HB. You actually didn't fall for that garbage did you?

Old
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
KirbyDots

I think Semin is quickly becoming our best bet for a skilled top 6 winger. Reputation aside, he would bring scoring and we wouldn't have to give anything up to get him.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:57 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
That means he'll be cheaper than his skillset would usually cost. I like bargains. Plus, he can be on the 3rd line whenever he isn't playing hard. I'm thinking if he plays with Jumbo some he may light it up and I don't think he is that much of a cancer. Just misunderstood. He's no worse than Marleau imo.
Yes, he's a lot worse than Marleau. Marleau is a nice guy that everyone likes. Semin is an egomaniac slackass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Pierre Mcguire is a moron. There's a reason he keeps applying for GM jobs and not getting them...
He's a moron, but he knows hockey, and he knows the players and has been in the locker rooms. Added to his behavior over the years, the 1 year contracts, etc, and if it smells like a duck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Oh come on HB. You actually didn't fall for that garbage did you?
I already thought he was a problem personality, but that definitely swung me over to 'not worth the risk'. Have you met Semin personally? I'm betting all those guys have.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Well that's why guys like Green, Ovechkin and Backstrom love him. Because he's a cancer. He's also why BB got fired and not Ovechkin completely shutting him out right? How the hell can Pierre get gauge from talking to Semin when Semin is way too nervous/shy to speak in English?

Also what behavior. Clearly you aren't referencing the Matt Bradley comments right after he trashed the entire team right? Also I'm pretty sure Semin was asking for those 1 year contracts....

Old
07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Well that's why guys like Green, Ovechkin and Backstrom love him. Because he's a cancer. He's also why BB got fired and not Ovechkin completely shutting him out right? How the hell can Pierre get gauge from talking to Semin when Semin is way too nervous/shy to speak in English?

Also what behavior. Clearly you aren't referencing the Matt Bradley comments right after he trashed the entire team right? Also I'm pretty sure Semin was asking for those 1 year contracts....
I've heard enough over the years to make me not want to go anywhere near the guy. That's my opinion. I don't see him helping this team in the slightest, I think you risk actually making things worse with a guy like him.

Also, he's Russian and that's not going to happen for several reasons.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

I'd be ok with Semin on the Sharks, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

The Sharks locker room isn't going to be affected by Semin, they already have leaders in place that most likely aren't going anywhere.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
This is not good for us. I've been saying the Stars need to change their locker room/culture if they want to get better (specifically by moving Ribs and Ott), and now they have with Robeiro AND Ott gone. Probably means no more Dallas Stars Crybabies anymore (and, of course, they have Whitney who will light it up against us). (ironically)
They still have Robi so there will still be shenanigans.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Yes, he's a lot worse than Marleau. Marleau is a nice guy that everyone likes. Semin is an egomaniac slackass.

I already thought he was a problem personality, but that definitely swung me over to 'not worth the risk'. Have you met Semin personally? I'm betting all those guys have.
1) You really forgot the past couple of playoffs were everyone ripped into Marleau for not showing up did you? (The Rage of Jeremy Roenick). And then people ripped into Marleau for cracking under pressure. Everyone has a flaw, you make it seem like Semin is garbage compared to Marleau whilst forgetting that Marleau also has his flaws.

2) Problem Personality? Where's the Evidence? All I've seen is Ovechkin and Backstrom love his personality. You're too fueled by your Russian biases and emotions that you can't look at Semin from an objective POV. And yes because TSN meeting players always equates to how they create their analyses.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
dwood16

Quote:
I've heard enough over the years to make me not want to go anywhere near the guy. That's my opinion. I don't see him helping this team in the slightest, I think you risk actually making things worse with a guy like him.

Also, he's Russian and that's not going to happen for several reasons.
You've only heard rumors/hearsay from idiot reporters who are constantly making **** up. Do you watch O'reilly factor and believe that crap too?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
KirbyDots

Alex Semin kinda reminds me of Alexei Semenov. The name not the player, and I know we'd all like to be in some small way reminded of Semenov. Aww, memories...

Old
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Franchise13

I'm not a fan of judging someone's personality from so far away. Pierre may have met Semin, doesn't mean he knows Semin. That goes for any player, whether it be good or bad.

Honestly, is there that big a difference between what JR said about Marleau to what Pierre says? Honestly curious on why the narrative is so different when the players are mentioned. Why is one so heavily defended and the other heavily agreed upon by people here? Just because Marleau wears teal? Is it a racial thing? Stereotyping?

Players also change and grow up, what they were in a different team is not necessarily what they'll be on this team. SJ has seen perfect examples of this from both sides. To make such matter of fact statements is silly to me.

"He's a cancer"

Sorry, not buying that. Ultimately fans and analysts like Pierre don't have any accountability when they say such things. They can afford to be big and bold in proclamations. Thoroughly weighing pros and cons of a player sometimes isn't in a media personality's best interest, because that would be boring.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
1) You really forgot the past couple of playoffs were everyone ripped into Marleau for not showing up did you? (The Rage of Jeremy Roenick). And then people ripped into Marleau for cracking under pressure. Everyone has a flaw, you make it seem like Semin is garbage compared to Marleau whilst forgetting that Marleau also has his flaws.

2) Problem Personality? Where's the Evidence? All I've seen is Ovechkin and Backstrom love his personality. You're too fueled by your Russian biases and emotions that you can't look at Semin from an objective POV. And yes because TSN meeting players always equates to how they create their analyses.
You two really need to relax, good lord. I'm frankly not even going to discuss this further because clearly there is some major vitriol here that is absolutely unwarranted. I didn't say anything about Marleau btw other than he is a nice guy, which he is. He's well liked in the locker room.

Also, I have ZERO issue with Russians. You need to step back and put down the gun. I said he's Russian, and there are several very good reasons he won't be signed because of that. One being DW does in fact seem to have a Russian Bias, he's a KHL flight risk, AND he likely would not WANT to come here because we have no Russians on the team. You can apologies now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
You've only heard rumors/hearsay from idiot reporters who are constantly making **** up. Do you watch O'reilly factor and believe that crap too?
That was uncalled for and rude. Take a few breaths man. Apparently everyone in the NHL is a perfect gentlemen since EVERY report we get comes from reporters by that logic.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:22 PM
dwood16

Btw, in regards to Semin. I actually think he'd benefit not playing on a line with Ovi. They are too similar in playing style I think. He likes to set up for one timers and snipe. A guy like Jumbo would be perfect for him obviously. Not that I'm saying they'd have chemistry but the reward seems very, very huge versus the risk.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
hockeyball

I don't want Semin on this team, I absolutely feel it will not work out for a variety of reasons. People are bored and desperate (understandably) and he seems at first glance like a solution, but he won't be. He's the wrong fit for this team. He belongs in Detroit, and thats where he will likely end up if they don't get Parise.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Buffalo is looking dumb today. Never make a move because of one team (Boston). There are 28 other teams to worry about.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
You two really need to relax, good lord. I'm frankly not even going to discuss this further because clearly there is some major vitriol here that is absolutely unwarranted. I didn't say anything about Marleau btw other than he is a nice guy, which he is. He's well liked in the locker room.
But the problem is, you used Marleau's "well liked" persona in the locker-room as a plus, but completely ignored it for Semin. Semin is well-liked in the locker-room as well (Ovechkin, Green, and Backstrom all said as much). You then said Semin was completely trashed on by the TSN Crew, yet ignored the fact that Marleau was completely trashed by Roenick.

To say "I like Marleau because apparently he's a nice guy, but I don't like Semin because the media hates him" is just ridiculous. You really don't have anything to support your argument of Marleau being a nice guy and Semin being a "egomaniac slackass".

Old
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Buffalo is looking dumb today. Never make a move because of one team (Boston). There are 28 other teams to worry about.
This. Vancouver learnt this the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
But the problem is, you used Marleau's "well liked" persona in the locker-room as a plus, but completely ignored it for Semin. Semin is well-liked in the locker-room as well (Ovechkin, Green, and Backstrom all said as much). You then said Semin was completely trashed on by the TSN Crew, yet ignored the fact that Marleau was completely trashed by Roenick.

To say "I like Marleau because apparently he's a nice guy, but I don't like Semin because the media hates him" is just ridiculous.
You've said it perfectly.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Kap-the-Head

Semin is the guy that can create chances out of nothing. Add Joe to this line and you have yourself a very capable scoring threat. Plus, it was after 2008 wc when BB realized that Semin is a capable PK'er, don't really know why he was taken off of PK sine he was really good at it, conceding something like 3 goals total in the whole season, or something along those lines.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Franchise13

Quote:

To say "I like Marleau because apparently he's a nice guy, but I don't like Semin because the media hates him" is just ridiculous. You really don't have anything to support your argument of Marleau being a nice guy and Semin being a "egomaniac slackass".
HF needs a "Like" Button. "+1" ...? Something? Anything? Maybe a "+Cookie"..?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:38 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

To say "I like Marleau because apparently he's a nice guy, but I don't like Semin because the media hates him" is just ridiculous. You really don't have anything to support your argument of Marleau being a nice guy but Semin being a "egomaniac slackass".
No, its not. My point was simply Marleau is NOT a locker room cancer. He might be soft spoken, or even lacking in heart, but he's not actively causing issues in the locker room like Eager did for instance. I could see Semin being an Eager situation (though in a different way) and that is not going to work with this group.

I don't get the love for Semin all of the sudden. He's been the poster boy for years for low effort, arrogant, prima-donna around the league. Why all of the sudden are you guys in love with him? Because he's available?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
glasgow26

You guys are always ragging on Marleau for disappearing for long stretches, showing no emotion and playing with no intensity. Now you want to sign Semin, arguably the laziest, softest and most enigmatic player in the NHL?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
No, its not. My point was simply Marleau is NOT a locker room cancer. He might be soft spoken, or even lacking in heart, but he's not actively causing issues in the locker room like Eager did for instance. I could see Semin being an Eager situation (though in a different way) and that is not going to work with this group.
And what are you basing this on? I don't see how Semin could actively be causing issues when he's just as soft-spoken and isn't even fluent in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Now you want to sign Semin, arguably the laziest, softest and most enigmatic player in the NHL?
For a guy who's supposedly lazy, he back-checked harder than most during the last post-season. The only reason I wouldn't want Semin on the team (I'm actually neutral on the subject), is because he's very inconsistent. I don't buy all the media hate.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:40 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Re: Semin. He is a great player and a great talent. I'd love to have him here but I know it won't happen as long as DW is GM. He takes a lot of crap (too much crap) - some from people who have no legs to stand on when it comes to running a successful NHL team. There's obviously an incredibly large bias against Russian players and their culture right now and I don 't buy it. You can't make build the best team possible when you're limiting the sources available to you. Avoiding Russian players is just as dumb as Montreal being so pro-french speaking/canadian.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:40 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
You guys are always ragging on Marleau for disappearing for long stretches, showing no emotion and playing with no intensity. Now you want to sign Semin, arguably the laziest, softest and most enigmatic player in the NHL?
EXACTLY.

Good lord. There is 'benefit of the doubt' and then there is this actively defending a player for no good reason.

Closed Thread