HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 UFA season frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
EXACTLY.

Good lord. There is 'benefit of the doubt' and then there is this actively defending a player for no good reason.
And then there's actively bashing the player for no good reason whilst not showing evidence for why you're even bashing him in the first place.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Franchise13

I don't think people are necessarily in love with Semin, as opposed to just trying to give him a fair shake. Dismissing an option so matter of fact-ly, because of perceived personality issues is a bit silly especially if it's coming from 2nd and 3rd hand info.

Marleau is brought up because it goes to line of thought. Why is Semin's narrative accepted so easily, whereas Marleau's is not? If you are going to argue for one, you sort of have to hold the same standard for the other if you want to remain as impartial as possible.

Quote:
Re: Semin. He is a great player and a great talent. I'd love to have him here but I know it won't happen as long as DW is GM. He takes a lot of crap (too much crap) - some from people who have no legs to stand on when it comes to running a successful NHL team. There's obviously an incredibly large bias against Russian players and their culture right now and I don 't buy it. You can't make build the best team possible when you're limiting the sources available to you. Avoiding Russian players is just as dumb as Montreal being so pro-french speaking/canadian.
+Cookie for you too. One of the few legitimate complaints I have about DW's tenure I have.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Buffalo is looking dumb today. Never make a move because of one team (Boston). There are 28 other teams to worry about.
Yup. Signing defensive liability John Scott and then trading their best center for an agitator and a bottom pairing D in an attempt to get tougher is doing more harm than good.

Semin would be a great fit here. Fast, amazing shot, good defensive awareness. I'm not putting any stock in what the talking heads on the very xenophobic TSN panel say, they do not know what is going on in that locker room. His teammates all like him, except for Bradley, who he himself was reportedly a cancer, and he was also bitter about the Caps because they didn't resign him. We have strong leadership even if he is a jerk.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:45 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Marleau is brought up because it goes to line of thought. Why is Semin's narrative accepted so easily, whereas Marleau's is not? If you are going to argue for one, you sort of have to hold the same standard for the other if you want to remain as impartial as possible.
Man you and WTFetus need to be getting crap tonnes of cookies today.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Kitten Mittons

Buffalo just traded their number one center for a third line center. What is the thought process here? Signing Jokinen?

Old
07-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Speaking of Jokinen, I'd rather have him than Semin any day of the week. He's actually a decent two way player.

Old
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
No, its not. My point was simply Marleau is NOT a locker room cancer. He might be soft spoken, or even lacking in heart, but he's not actively causing issues in the locker room like Eager did for instance. I could see Semin being an Eager situation (though in a different way) and that is not going to work with this group.

I don't get the love for Semin all of the sudden. He's been the poster boy for years for low effort, arrogant, prima-donna around the league. Why all of the sudden are you guys in love with him? Because he's available?
How is Semin a lockerroom cancer? Sure is cancerous when Backstrom, Green, Ovechkin, etc all seem to love the guy. What issues is he causing in the lockerroom? Is it the whole "Oh no Semin's english isn't all that great and he's super shy and really afraid of screwing up and embarrassing himself in english language interviews"?

People are just getting sick and tired of everyone constantly ragging on him because he seemingly puts in no effort. He's clearly doing something right since he's putting up Parise like points. Seriously people get up all on his case because he's not playing like Ovechkin does. I also keep hearing you mention this prima donna attitude. Where is it coming from?

Face it he's the Russian Marleau and everyone rips on him for doing half the things we flip tables over Marleau doing.

Old
Kitten Mittons

My biggest fear is Suter and Parise joining the same team. It's just not fair. Imagine Detroit with Suter, Parise, and Semin? **** me.

Also, I despise the Canadian media and their constant Russian/Euro bashing. Semin is not a cancer in any way. They need to shut the **** up. That being said, I wouldn't want him on the team unless he wants less than $6million.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Buffalo just traded their number one center for a third line center. What is the thought process here? Signing Jokinen?
It was rumoured that Buffalo would be adding Nash, until (apparently) his agent shot it down by stating Nash didn't have BUF in his list.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
It was rumoured that Buffalo would be adding Nash, until (apparently) his agent shot it down by stating Nash didn't have BUF in his list.
Is Nash a center?

Old
07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Franchise13

Said it at the time, and saying again now, Howson left the best deal on the table for Nash at the trade deadline.

The semblance of leverage he had over teams was potentially sending Nash to a competitor. The longer this draws out, the more it seems Nash is either forcing himself to NYR, SJ or other singular team.

Nash and his agent have all the leverage in the world, and there is no way he will expand that list. His agent can't afford to do so, not just for Nash, but for the sake of his future clients as well.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
NWShark*

I bet when Semin met Pierre he thought he was a moron too and refused to talk to him hence Pierre saying he's a cancer. ;P

Old
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
What the Semin-haters aren't taking into account is that nobody knows if these rumors are true. You all are taking what you heard and claiming it as fact when it very well might be the complete opposite. None of us have any idea, so stop claim to know him.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Is Nash a center?
They're probably gambling on Hodgson - Grigorenko - Girgensons - etc. living up to their expectations. Hence the shift to wing and Nash.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Kitten Mittons

Trusting Hodgson with first line duty is silly. They are better off signing Jokinen.

Vanek-Jokinen-Pominville
Leino-Hodgson-Stafford
Ennis-Ott-Gerbe

That's a pretty solid line-up.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
glasgow26

Quote:
Trusting Hodgson with first line duty is silly. They are better off signing Jokinen.

Vanek-Jokinen-Pominville
Leino-Hodgson-Stafford
Ennis-Ott-Gerbe

That's a pretty solid line-up.
I think Ennis will be their 1C.

Vanek-Ennis-Pominville
Leino-Hodgson-Stafford
Ott-Grigorenko-Gerbe

Ott can play C and Girgoreko can play RW, so that third line could also be Gerbe-Ott-Grigorenko.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
This is not good for us. I've been saying the Stars need to change their locker room/culture if they want to get better (specifically by moving Ribs and Ott), and now they have with Robeiro AND Ott gone. Probably means no more Dallas Stars Crybabies anymore (and, of course, they have Whitney who will light it up against us). (ironically)
Their wings are pretty good but they're pretty average in the pivot right now. Roy is likely their #1 center next year unless they make a big splash. They'll need to go get another top six center, if not a top line center. Their blue line is suspect as it is and Lehtonen is a solid goalie but unless the D is vastly improved, he won't be able to save their bacon enough to be a threat next year.

It is still early but a culture change for them is going in the right direction but they don't have the talent right now to really compete. They still have to fill out their lineup before a legitimate prediction can be made.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
KirbyDots

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Sharks signs John MaCarthy 2 years / $1 225 000 total. Season 2013-14 is one way.

Interesting.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Ott to the east coast?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

hopefully the Roy trade softens Howson's demands for Nash. Roy can put up similar numbers as Nash and all it took was a 3rd liner and a bottom pairing D.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
hopefully the Roy trade softens Howson's demands for Nash. Roy can put up similar numbers as Nash and all it took was a 3rd liner and a bottom pairing D.
Probably not.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Very unlikely. Howson will still demand a team's 2 best prospects, 2 top 6 wingers, draft picks and the opposing GM's children.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
I don't think people are necessarily in love with Semin, as opposed to just trying to give him a fair shake. Dismissing an option so matter of fact-ly, because of perceived personality issues is a bit silly especially if it's coming from 2nd and 3rd hand info.

+Cookie for you too. One of the few legitimate complaints I have about DW's tenure I have.
Agreed. I'd love to see how Marleau would be treated if he was born in Russia. (and thanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Yup. Signing defensive liability John Scott and then trading their best center for an agitator and a bottom pairing D in an attempt to get tougher is doing more harm than good.

Semin would be a great fit here. Fast, amazing shot, good defensive awareness. I'm not putting any stock in what the talking heads on the very xenophobic TSN panel say, they do not know what is going on in that locker room. His teammates all like him, except for Bradley, who he himself was reportedly a cancer, and he was also bitter about the Caps because they didn't resign him. We have strong leadership even if he is a jerk.
They're upset because Lucic ran their goalie and they couldnt defend themselves. of course their solution is to trade a top-6 center for a 3rd line center. Ott is a coward (and won't be fighting anyone) so it's puzzling on many levels.

Bradley just got bought out. Hopefully, he keeps his mouth shut in the future.

Quote:
Hodgson probably demanded 1st line minutes. I wouldn't put it past him.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
What the Semin-haters aren't taking into account is that nobody knows if these rumors are true. You all are taking what you heard and claiming it as fact when it very well might be the complete opposite. None of us have any idea, so stop claim to know him.
And you don't know they are not true. There have been a hell of a lot more rumors that he has attitude problems than rumors that he's a fantastic team-mate.

Let's leave it at this. Doug Wilson likely knows better than we do if Semin is a problem (McLellan is also buds with Beadreau). If he signs him, the rumors are likely false, if he doesn't, it could be the reason why. I'll trust Doug with at least that much, good enough?

Old
07-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Would Anaheim seriously consider trading Ryan to us?

If not, hopefully they trade him to the Rangers. That way DW can try to get Nash for a more reasonable price.