HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q & A w/ Boyes on FA and Ruff -- Not returning to Buffalo

Old
07-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Weezel RX7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Q & A w/ Boyes on FA and Ruff -- Not returning to Buffalo

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-new-home.html

Interesting Q and A. Tough to get a beat if Boyes is actually knocking Ruff. Article says Boyes will not be returning to Buffalo.

Some highlights:

How Lindy helped him:
Quote:
CBCSports.ca: After playing mostly on the right wing in your NHL career, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff had you on the left side and centre at times this past season as well as playing the penalty kill. How might this enhance your bargaining position?

BB: I got some comfort [playing those positions] so that might be a bonus being a little more versatile. But I think teams are going to be looking at me more for what I've done in the past as far as offence and scoring goals.
How Lindy did not help him:
Quote:
BB: Pat [his agent] will probably say that I might not have been in the ideal situation [in Buffalo] playing in certain positions. I know what I can do and what I can bring [to a team].
Shot at Ruff?
Quote:
CBCSports.ca: What are the priorities in your search for a new team?

BB: One of the biggest is a coach that communicates well with me and is willing to give me an opportunity...the biggest thing for me is a coach who gives me a sense of my role and what I need to do.

Weezel RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:57 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Another fear crossed off the list: "Resigning Brad Boyes is the same as adding a 40 goal winger to our roster."

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
His responses seem fairly reasonable and honest to me

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:52 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I kinda read that as a player who didn't want to be asked to play defense.

Regardless, bye Brad.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:54 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Nothing really surprising here. *shrug*

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:11 AM
JPurp26

ya know way the would bring him back. That was failed scouting and a waste of a 2nd round pick

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
ya know way the would bring him back. That was failed scouting and a waste of a 2nd round pick
Eh, he helped them get into the playoffs two years ago so it was like an extended rental.

07-01-2012, 10:18 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Eh, he helped them get into the playoffs two years ago so it was like an extended rental.
for an early exit, it could be argued that they still would've made it without him

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:41 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
for an early exit, it could be argued that they still would've made it without him
Argue it because his 14 points in 21 games will be tough to debate against.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I don't care if I take flak for this, but I liked Boyes. He wasn't worth 4 mil, but I have no doubts that he would've produced more if Ruff had been able to leave him at RW. If Hecht had stayed healthy and locked down the center position, Boyes would've eventually been the RW with Vanek and Hodgson. He did well in the 3-4 game stretch on the PP unit with Vanek, I'm certain he would've done well 5-on-5. In the proper role, he should still be expected to collect 40-50 pts.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:55 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Argue it because his 14 points in 21 games will be tough to debate against.
Exactly. He helped the team when he first came, and then had a rough season afterward. Oh well -- there are lots of reasons why the team wasn't so good this past season, and Boyes was a small part of that. Hopefully he can stay in the league and find some success somewhere else.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Don't really think Boyes did anything useful for us during his tenure in the blue and gold. Missed the net a whole bunch, but we knew he would as his reputation suggested it. Won't miss you, Brad. You're crazy if you think you're getting a raise on the open market.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:09 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
Don't really think Boyes did anything useful for us during his tenure in the blue and gold. Missed the net a whole bunch, but we knew he would as his reputation suggested it. Won't miss you, Brad. You're crazy if you think you're getting a raise on the open market.
I doubt he expects a raise. It's not like we made an offer that he turned down. He says he's hoping he gets signed.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

BB, thanks for the 21 games after we traded for you.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:33 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

They're really exploring the notion of firing Ruff on WGR right now. It's music to my ears. I've suspected Ruff gave the Buffalo Sabres a disadvantage for the last 3 years or so.

Usually whenever I suggested this in the past I've been reemed for it. There has definitely been a shift in sensibilities on the idea of firing Ruff.

How can an organization call itself 'hockey heaven' if it refuses to even CONSIDER upgrading the coaching position. The Sabres are choosing to play the game with a weaker hand by closing off options and opportunities. They're only screwing themselves.

It's kind of like Darcy's unwillingness to draft Russians in the past. If they refuse to EVER draft a Russian player, regardless of everything, they would be short changing themselves. Well, they changed that philosophy with Grigorenko, now if only we can get them to change the set-in-stone coaching situation.

GodHatesBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:45 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHatesBuffalo View Post
They're really exploring the notion of firing Ruff on WGR right now. It's music to my ears. I've suspected Ruff gave the Buffalo Sabres a disadvantage for the last 3 years or so.

Usually whenever I suggested this in the past I've been reemed for it. There has definitely been a shift in sensibilities on the idea of firing Ruff.

How can an organization call itself 'hockey heaven' if it refuses to even CONSIDER upgrading the coaching position. The Sabres are choosing to play the game with a weaker hand by closing off options and opportunities. They're only screwing themselves.

It's kind of like Darcy's unwillingness to draft Russians in the past. If they refuse to EVER draft a Russian player, regardless of everything, they would be short changing themselves. Well, they changed that philosophy with Grigorenko, now if only we can get them to change the set-in-stone coaching situation.
Except that you don't know that they haven't.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:47 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
They're really exploring the notion of firing Ruff on WGR right now. It's music to my ears.
I'd rather that they focus on covering the signings and goings-on of July 1st rather than a beaten to death topic that's not really all that relevant to why they're on the air today in the first place. They've got all summer to focus on firing Ruff.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:53 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Except that you don't know that they haven't.
Actually, I do. Darcy Regier readily admits that he has never had, nor ever intends to fire Ruff, ever.

I've heard the owner quoted as saying "Lindy Ruff ain't going nowhere".

I've heard the owner comment that he really enjoys working with Darcy and Lindy, and that these relationships are his FAVORITE part of owning the team. I can't imagine him wanting to just give up his favorite aspect of his job, to please everyone else.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:56 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

So based on a couple public comments, you know with certainty that Darcy Regier has never had an internal discussion about the possibility of a new coach?

Glad we have someone so connected.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:00 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I'd rather that they focus on covering the signings and goings-on of July 1st rather than a beaten to death topic that's not really all that relevant to why they're on the air today in the first place. They've got all summer to focus on firing Ruff.
It's all speculation and heresay. The sabres never leak anything on July 1st. I'd rather the cancer surrounding the Buffalo Sabres (Lindy Ruff) be talked about on a day like this. Hopefully TPEG or Ted Black will listen in and catch the tone Buffalo delivers surrounding their cruddy coach.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
It's all speculation and heresay. The sabres never leak anything on July 1st. I'd rather the cancer surrounding the Buffalo Sabres (Lindy Ruff) be talked about on a day like this. Hopefully TPEG or Ted Black will listen in and catch the tone Buffalo delivers surrounding their cruddy coach.
Regardless of one's opinion of Ruff as the Sabres coach, calling him a cancer is beyond absurd and insulting. And if these guys actually knew hockey, which they absolutely do not, they would be talking about leaguewide signings and leaguewide needs if there is not enough Sabres-based tidbits to go over.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:05 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
So based on a couple public comments, you know with certainty that Darcy Regier has never had an internal discussion about the possibility of a new coach?

Glad we have someone so connected.
Obviously nobody is directly inside the head of the man. Real interesting take you got there bud. "You don't know it hasn't crossed his mind." Nice addition captain obvious..

Public comments are the only window into the heads of these men, in case you didn't know this. Unless you've had his office wired for sound.

To get to your question, honestly whether he's had the internal discussions or not is irrelevant. Either the man is the coach or he isn't. Talk is talk.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:05 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
It's not just about the Sabres. They could talk about any number of other signings going on. Instead, we get the same debates about Ruff on one of the few days in the off season when actual things are happening.

Meh, if what WGR keeps spouting is what people really want to hear, then I'm definitely in the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Regardless of one's opinion of Ruff as the Sabres coach, calling him a cancer is beyond absurd and insulting. And if these guys actually knew hockey, which they absolutely do not, they would be talking about leaguewide signings and leaguewide needs if there is not enough Sabres-based tidbits to go over.
Thank you. At this point I might as well just go watch TSN or something. It seems like it's too much to ask the Buffalo sports media to give decent coverage of free agency.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:09 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Just because a statement may be bold and controversial does not make it absurd. Absurdity implies that there is absolutely not one shred of credibility to the statement. Several players have identified Ruff as not being part of the solution. There are credible aspects to my claim of him being a cancer.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
It's not just about the Sabres. They could talk about any number of other signings going on. Instead, we get the same debates about Ruff on one of the few days in the off season when actual things are happening.

Meh, if what WGR keeps spouting is what people really want to hear, then I'm definitely in the minority.

Thank you. At this point I might as well just go watch TSN or something. It seems like it's too much to ask the Buffalo sports media to give decent coverage of free agency.
^-- WATCH TSN! http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ite-NHLNetwork