HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012!

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 01:29 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I guess Im just jealous Frog. We havent had someone excite us offensively since Bure, and when I see teams like the Penguins have two of the top players in the world, or a team like the Kings have a crazy amount of scoring forwards, it sucks even worse. On top of that, you have two of the top five players in the world playing in the next county over, and its tough to compete with that when you are going after 2nd/3rd tiered UFAs.
We have Huberdeau

Old
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
26 hours after free agency begins and next season is already lost?

If the lack of offense and the need for a top 6 center is obvious to you, it's painfully so to Tallon. If he CAN get top 6 help he will.

Relax.
It ws a step back day one.

But thats what it was. Day one.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Im not overreacting, Im speaking the truth, up until this moment. Lets not fool ourselves, we were a good team last year, but A LOT of things went right for us, which lead us to the playoffs. With most of the division already improved, its going to be tougher for us to improve from last season. We need scoring, badly, and we have needed scoring since before Tallon's arrival. Im not expecting them to go after the top UFAs, but we need to replace Garrison and Samuelsson, to go along with the scoring help we already need up front. Im tired of us signing 3rd and 4th liners, and thrusting them into top six minutes, it just doesnt work. If we are going to get this team jump started, ready for the youngsters to come in, we need to get legitimate top six help, and until we do, we are going to be fighting just to make the playoffs.
AMEN!!!

Last year was a breath of fresh air and I by NO MEANS am saying we should be running around offering everyone contracts right now.

But holy **** our offense is a joke. Now we've lost our best PP performer and hardest shot on the PP. We swapped them for an aging defenseman and an ENFORCER (career high of 5 goals).

We had a great season last year but as you said a lot of things went our way. We may not be so fortunate this season. What if the Weiss line doesn't come out that hot right out of the gate? What if Clemm and Theo don't play as well as they did? We're banking on a lot of "hopefully" type situations. We need offense. We need goals.

If this roster stays the way it does, I cannot realistically expect the playoffs next season. Last year was too coincidental for us. Washington sucked ass and no one in the SE could put it together except for us (even though we struggled BIG TIME down the stretch).

At this point I would rather DT trade some prospects for some proven talent. We have a TON of prospects, we can afford to move a one or two for a key piece (not ****ing Reboundo either). That's what good teams do. They move some young guys for PROVEN talent to BLEND with their up and coming prospects.

Fellow posters, I ask you this.....

What's the point of bringing up Huberdeau and have him develop into the offensive threat he's going to be (at least we HOPE), if he's just going to play with Goc and Kopecky? Not to knock the other two but they're not exactly offensive dynamos. We're going to need someone to feed him the puck.

I'm not hitting the panic button, because I'm still content from making the playoffs last season (sad, right?) but I want this team to improve. As of right now, we are not improved at all.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Erick

Quote:
Im not overreacting, Im speaking the truth, up until this moment. Lets not fool ourselves, we were a good team last year, but A LOT of things went right for us, which lead us to the playoffs. With most of the division already improved, its going to be tougher for us to improve from last season. We need scoring, badly, and we have needed scoring since before Tallon's arrival. Im not expecting them to go after the top UFAs, but we need to replace Garrison and Samuelsson, to go along with the scoring help we already need up front. Im tired of us signing 3rd and 4th liners, and thrusting them into top six minutes, it just doesnt work. If we are going to get this team jump started, ready for the youngsters to come in, we need to get legitimate top six help, and until we do, we are going to be fighting just to make the playoffs.
What I meant was that we haven't regressed. If you believed we got lucky last year, I guess that's somewhat fair. Garrison and Samuelsson have already been replaced, though. It's basically the same team we loved last year for making the playoffs. Plus, it's the second day of July...

Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
It's only been about 24 hours...anything can happen before the season starts. Agree we need top 6 help, but like I said before, I'm sure DT is working on this and isn't sitting on the beach somewhere satisfied.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think Howden can play on either the second or third line. It's probably going to be a coaches decision. However, I'd guess third because you don't see two rookies on the same line often and Howden could be a very good third line forechecker because of his excellent speed and size.

No, they are not the answers to our scoring woes at this stage of their careers. I hope we add Jokinen or even Mueller. We need someone to slot into that second line center position. The wing can be filled by either Bergie or Upshall.
Ok. If we add Jokinen, I'm fine. The market just seems crazy and if we don't get him (in this scenario I can see a place for both H & H), I don't really see anyone else good enough to make a difference. Jokinen is probably not in a hurry though. He can wait for Parise and Semin to sign first and then have all the other teams after him.

I know I'm one of the few, but I would take back Wolski instead of bringing in Howden.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
26 hours after free agency begins and next season is already lost?

If the lack of offense and the need for a top 6 center is obvious to you, it's painfully so to Tallon. If he CAN get top 6 help he will.

Relax.
Many people are worried that we won't be as comparable to last season. We lost Sammy and Garry,who were detrimental in our PP success. Kuba does have similar numbers to Garry,but can he produce like Garry did? We still need offensive help and with Caro and Wash getting better, we need to do something to be able to compete. I am almost glad the Luongo deal didn't go down because if the speculation of Viner giving Tallon the green light to do it is true,then that means he *should* give a green light to grabbing a big time forward. Of coarse Tallon cannot control where players decide to go, but hopefully we can get someone.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
Looks like the team has moved on and is only talking about the prospects and development camp. I think we're done here guys.
I dont agree. itchy ... there is no way Tallon fields this roster on Oct.1. He wont let the team regress while hes at the helm.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Dreger is just ripping Eklund apart... this is hilarious.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I dont agree. itchy ... there is no way Tallon fields this roster on Oct.1. He wont let the team regress while hes at the helm.
Tallon doesn't seem to believe that the team has regressed. Probably because it hasn't...

Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Dreger is just ripping Eklund apart... this is hilarious.
Would love to hear what's being said!

Old
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Quote:
I am 100% hoping for that. He can't expect this roster to be anything more than last year, but I'm afraid if ownership is holding back.

Remember, Tallon LOVES signing big names to big money. He loves it. I think it's his favorite thing to do as a GM. Something about Parros and Kuba tells me it hasn't satisfied his desire. I feel like ownership might be slamming the gavel down and telling him "no more than $60 Million".

Old
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
What I meant was that we haven't regressed. If you believed we got lucky last year, I guess that's somewhat fair. Garrison and Samuelsson have already been replaced, though. It's basically the same team we loved last year for making the playoffs. Plus, it's the second day of July...
Yes we have.

Its two aging goaltenders, one year older.

Its a grossly deficient PP, something that carried us the first half of the season. Recall how poorly we played with GArry down. Think of what Sammy brought to the pp additionally.

Its a 5-10 pt team weaker, to be fair.

That said its all irrelevant because your best point is ....Its the second day of July.

As far as what Tallon says...ignore it...hes not going to come out and say... hey we suck right now but hang on!

Old
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Would love to hear what's being said!
Quote:
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund

Was just told Florida is OUT on Luongo. They had interest but grew tired of the Canucks demands and are moving on. (e4)
Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

@Eklund. Sorry pal. Just talked to Dale Tallon and he says nothing has changed. Still talking with Van. Nothing imminent. High price.
There

Old
07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Pantherfan12

Maybe Tallon is making a push for Nash or Ryan. Never know really. It is true about the prospect thing, while we have a ton of prospects and I don't want to see Hubby,Marky, or Guds go anywhere, we could realistically trade some of that talent for a proven scorer.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:49 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
There
Thanks! That's especially funny considering GR is tweeting he hasn't heard that we're out of the Luongo thing yet.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:50 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Tallon doesn't seem to believe that the team has regressed. Probably because it hasn't...
Well it's not as though he's going to tell the press "Well we are definitely worse than last year".

He's going to sugar coat it with "We feel Kuba is a solid player that can add some key pieces to our blueline".

and

"Parros is the kind of guy you want on your team. Sticks up for his teammates and plays the game hard. He's going to be an important part of this team moving forward".

See how easy that is?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
I am 100% hoping for that. He can't expect this roster to be anything more than last year, but I'm afraid if ownership is holding back.

Remember, Tallon LOVES signing big names to big money. He loves it. I think it's his favorite thing to do as a GM. Something about Parros and Kuba tells me it hasn't satisfied his desire. I feel like ownership might be slamming the gavel down and telling him "no more than $60 Million".
I don't... I am going to search for the tweet or whatever it was that I read, but I do remember reading that Viner gave Tallon the green light on a Luongo trade. Why would he allow Tallon to take on such a big contract ,but not make a push for some top end talent? For some reason, I can see Viner and Tallon wanting to make this team a great team and Viner will open his pocketbook to grab someone big.

Maybe we'll be trading with someone to unload a contract, so that team maybe able to aquire Parise. Maybe someone with talent ya know what I mean?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:53 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Maybe Tallon is making a push for Nash or Ryan. Never know really. It is true about the prospect thing, while we have a ton of prospects and I don't want to see Hubby,Marky, or Guds go anywhere, we could realistically trade some of that talent for a proven scorer.
Ryan is a player Tallon could move a blue chip for.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:59 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Well it's not as though he's going to tell the press "Well we are definitely worse than last year".

He's going to sugar coat it with "We feel Kuba is a solid player that can add some key pieces to our blueline".

and

"Parros is the kind of guy you want on your team. Sticks up for his teammates and plays the game hard. He's going to be an important part of this team moving forward".

See how easy that is?
^^^^

Old
07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
ShootIt

Why do people say we replaced Samuelsson with Parros? Parros replaced Barch. If anything Huberdeau replaces Mikael.

This isnt nhl12, just don't offer a contract to a player and they sign it. All the big names are out there and there still are some "role" players out there. I don't want Tallon to overreact and overpay some guy big money, just because.

I want this team to be competitive but at the same time this team isn't being built for the next couple of years. this team is being built to be potentially a threat 3-5 years from now.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Yes we have.

Its two aging goaltenders, one year older.

Its a grossly deficient PP, something that carried us the first half of the season. Recall how poorly we played with GArry down. Think of what Sammy brought to the pp additionally.

Its a 5-10 pt team weaker, to be fair.

That said its all irrelevant because your best point is ....Its the second day of July.

As far as what Tallon says...ignore it...hes not going to come out and say... hey we suck right now but hang on!
Well said. Kuba will help with the loss of Garrison, but no where near the output. Huberdeau might be that playmaker that Sammy was on the PP, but we would be asking a lot of him in yhear one. Yeah, its the second day of July, and we are still in the mix for some players, including an upgrade in net, but its obvious that this team needs serious offensive help, and failure to upgrade that area of need would be regression IMO.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:03 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
We aren't on Nash's list of teams.

Ryan makes sense but he isn't a center. It would cost a blue chip prospect and they are looking for a #2 center. I don't think we have the pieces if they want a #2 center.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Erick

The problem is that you guys have little confidence in the young players because they're unproven. Fact of the matter is, we have the best system in the NHL and the young guys (who were not here last year) are going to get their shot. Why is everyone expecting them to fail?

If you think this team isn't playoff bound, it's because you thought last year was a fluke.

Here's the way it works.

-Garrison, we lost. -16 goals, -33 points.
We lost Garrison's production. It was known that if we lost Garrison, we wouldn't get a better D-man. We did the best we could and got a good replacement in Kuba. Kuba scored one less point than Garrison last year.

Garrison is a fan favorite, and rightfully so. Still, stop underrating Kuba. The guy can play even strength, PP, PK, just like Garrison.

Kulikov a year older. Gudbranson a year older. These are legit talents from our system. Why can't they get better, again? Wasn't Gudbranson already looking better toward the latter part of the year last year? Did he not pretty much play his best during the playoffs? Is Kulikov not more skilled than Garrison?

Garrison can be replaced by committee. Not to mention that none of us really thought Garrison would put up 16 goals again...
Love Garrison but he regressed as the year went on. Maybe not signing him for that amount is a blessing in disguise. Time will tell.

-We lost Mikael Samuelsson. That's 28 points in 48 games he gave us last year.
For some reason, people are really overrating him at this point. Samuelsson is a year older just like the goaltending, AG.

Bottom line, Hubderdeau projects to be a star one day. Should we expect him to be a star next year? Nope. Is it impossible to think he can put up 28 points per 48 games, though? I think he can do better. Why the hell not? The guy has more skill than Samuelsson and he's going to be tough on opposing PK's for those worried about the PP. How about a little faith in our best offensive prospect in a long time?

Howden wasn't on the team last year either. 1st round talent. You don't think he's an upgrade to the team?

What about Upshall? As much as we've wanted him gone, you don't think he'll score more than 1 goal next year if healthy? That's all Upshall gave us last year...ONE GOAL. This coming from a guy who scored 20+ the year before we signed him.

Samuelsson's production can be easily replaced. We're talking about Mikael Samuelsson, not a star. Relax.

Goaltending is exactly the same. You can expect them to regress (I won't disagree with that opinion), but fact remains, we have the same three guys who took us to the playoffs last year. Theo, Clemmer, and Markstrom as insurance.

Oh yeah, and Parros. For some reason, people are talking like he's Samuelsson's replacement because he's the guy we signed yesterday; he's not. Parros is Barch's replacement and, arguably, better than Barch. Let's tell it like it is. Parros will not be playing top-6 minutes so stop freaking out about it. He's our enforcer now; we got him at a nice contract and he'll fill his role. That's about it.

It's basically the same team we had last year. We need a 2nd line center just like we needed a 2nd line center last year. It's the 2nd day of July...

Relax.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Hockey Buzz Eklund‏@Eklund

Was just told Florida is OUT on Luongo. They had interest but grew tired of the Canucks demands and are moving on. (e4)

Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger

@Eklund. Sorry pal. Just talked to Dale Tallon and he says nothing has changed. Still talking with Van. Nothing imminent. High price.

Seriously you cant get this entertainment on HBO... LOL

Closed Thread