HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012!

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Slick Cat

vCash: 500
Disappointed that we couldn't get Olli and expecting something else at some point soon, and by that I don't mean Roberta but a scorer up front. I keep hearing that we trust in Tallon but while he has made some good moves, there have also been bad ones and we barely made the playoffs while falling apart at the end. He needs to address the offense and I don't expect parise so will see. At this point, i agree with those who said we have regressed while others have improved and that we may be in trouble but there is time. With the current roster we are not in contention for a playoff spot.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:15 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
There was that rumor that said we've opened up talks again with Vancouver and that Steeger & Kuli were in play. Of course that would contradict Tallon's statement about locking those guys up. Who knows.

-ghoste
That means Kesler because there's no chance Lou brings that much back.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
If that's the case, what #1 center do Weiss (going to be a ufa) and Kulikov bring back? Maybe we will get a #1 center.
Ryan. I heard the Ducks are looking for a 2nd line center.

-ghoste

Old
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Ryan. I heard the Ducks are looking for a 2nd line center.

-ghoste
Ryan plays wing. I wouldn't trade Weiss and Kulikov for a winger at first thought.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Here's what I don't understand...with Strachan, Ellerby, Robak and maybe Petrovic available to fill in the spot left by Garrison, why did we need to spend 4 mill on a D, when we could have spent it on a forward (where we seriously lack scoring depth)? Our defense could have probably got by without Garrison. Who knows though, maybe Huberdeau will have a massive season and Howden will have a respectable rookie campaign as well. And hey, maybe Goc will be healthy and produce like a 2nd line C and hey, maybe Upshall will be healthy and score 20+ goals, and hey, maybe Kulikov will start hitting the net etc etc etc.

Too many maybes and if's for my liking, but we were all saying this last summer and look what happened, so who knows.
None of those guys come close to replacing Garrison. He played big minutes. You can't skimp out on defense.

Old
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
If that's the case, what #1 center do Weiss (going to be a ufa) and Kulikov bring back? Maybe we will get a #1 center.
I am one of the few on this board who wouldn't be upset to see Weiss on his way out of town, but this move still would leave us short a top 6 center going into the season.

Old
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:
That means Kesler because there's no chance Lou brings that much back.
So, are we saying something along the lines of Weiss, Kuli and Clemm/Theo for Luongo and Kesler?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Trading away Weiss would be so dumb.

We need to ADD to our group of forwards. That would be the stupidest thing.

And to trade Kuli for Ryan when we could sign a FA for free? Ugh these last two days have left me feeling sick.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:19 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I am one of the few on this board who wouldn't be upset to see Weiss on his way out of town, but this move still would leave us short a top 6 center going into the season.
quality over quantity. Weiss is not a first line center.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Assuming we get a true #1 then it would be okay. Weiss as you know is a good #2.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
No argument here, but outside of Marleau, I can't think of any 1st line centers on the market.... and you still need to fill the 2C slot.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:21 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
When you have 3 out of 6 top 6 forwards, I think quantity has to come into play at some point.

DAMN that kool-aid is strong down there

Old
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
Trading away Weiss would be so dumb.

We need to ADD to our group of forwards. That would be the stupidest thing.

And to trade Kuli for Ryan when we could sign a FA for free? Ugh these last two days have left me feeling sick.
Weiss is a UFA at season's end. Not someone Tallon picked/signed/traded for. He's also a #2 center. If he can get us a #1 then so be it.

Old
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Tallon is going to sign another forward, he's not stupid, and he's not going to give out overpaid contracts for mediocre players. We can't keep spending like an addict on food stamps. We had to be frugal in free agency this summer. We are still a budget team, after all.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Count me in your group. And who knows, maybe he'll want out of here after this season anyway.

-ghoste

Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
No argument here, but outside of Marleau, I can't think of any 1st line centers on the market.... and you still need to fill the 2C slot.
I guess you have to look at teams with two #1 centers. Or a team with a #1 who could be expendable. They're aren't a lot. Van would make sense but I don't think they need Kuli at all.

Old
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
So, are we saying something along the lines of Weiss, Kuli and Clemm/Theo for Luongo and Kesler?
And Burrows.

-ghoste

Old
KWGoon

Which is more likely, that Tallon is done for now, or that he's making a run at Parise or Semin? It's a close call.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Which is more likely, that Tallon is done for now, or that he's making a run at Parise or Semin? It's a close call.
I think signing a guy like Mueller or Arnott is the most likely. Parise is going to get an enormous contract. It's going to be so big, everyone on our board will be like, yeah...okay, so we never had a shot. Semin will get overpaid too. I could see Philly getting him when they miss out on either Suter or Parise. Him and CG could be so dangerous.

I hate the idea of trading away assets because I feel like we're really close to being a good bet for a playoff team. If signed Jokinen I'd think our chances of the playoffs go up dramatically. Then we're good enough down the middle. We have a good d-core, and solid goaltending.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
When you have 3 out of 6 top 6 forwards, I think quantity has to come into play at some point.

DAMN that kool-aid is strong down there
It must be the kool aid because I have no problem with missing the playoffs this season. I havent comitted 5,000 to season tickets and I am still going to watch every game. Regardless of outcome i know that in 2-3 years time this team will be competing for a stanley cup because our prospects will soon be nhlers and damn good ones at that.

I am willing to wait.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Meandmyself

What do you guys think of Tomas Plekanec? He is a solid second line centerman. He can play on the first pk line and second pp line. I think that he would be the perfect fit for you guys. He has as an average season last year, I know that he didn't seem happy about it and I don't know if he did or not lift his no-trade clause. Montreal will probably need to make some cap space and they probably won't be able to trade Gomez, Bourque or Kaberle.

He still has 4 years at 5 millions left on his contract, but let's be honest I don't think that one of your youth centerman can step up right now or anytime soon to take the second line spot. Also, what will happen with Weiss becoming UFA at the end of the next season?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about us going after either. And in Parise's case, seems it would be hard to sell Florida over Pittsburgh.

Semin has been getting destroyed in the media and questions about his character seem to go against Tallon's liking.

Guess I would say I'd be absolutely shocked to land either.

-ghoste

Old
07-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
More likely? Without a doubt that he's making a run at Parise or Semin because I don't think there's any way he can be done. That doesn't mean it's likely he is indeed making a run at those two, but given those two options I would think the latter is the easy choice.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
I like how Tallon responded to a question about Luongo by saying "Theodore, Clemmensen an Markstrom will be going into camp fighting for the #1 spot...as of right now"

Puts the pressure on Van. Gillis hears that and sees Tallon completely satisfied with his goaltending situation....perfect position to be in for us.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Tuco

VERY disappointed about Olli. We need a 2C, and Olli had some of the qualitues that would have helped us greatly, especially on PP and scoring. Think he would've been a good solution.

I try to pick myself up again, and look at it differently. The solution didn't have to be Olli. But who is it then? Tallon's not done - yeah, but what can he do? Who's out there better than Goc? I don't know anymore.

And I think I'll be disappointed again in a bit. Be declining to pay Olli (yes, I am assuming Tallon had interest) Tallon maintains room to sign Luongo. He is coming, I'm afraid.

Closed Thread