HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012!

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
While I'm sure you two think your argument is like this...

It's coming across more like this...

Please improve the quality of your bickering so that the rest of us don't need to do this...

Thank you.
Most posts in the thread since Jokinen signed have been that way, the sky is falling on the second day of free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
VERY disappointed about Olli. We need a 2C, and Olli had some of the qualitues that would have helped us greatly, especially on PP and scoring. Think he would've been a good solution.

I try to pick myself up again, and look at it differently. The solution didn't have to be Olli. But who is it then? Tallon's not done - yeah, but what can he do? Who's out there better than Goc? I don't know anymore.

And I think I'll be disappointed again in a bit. Be declining to pay Olli (yes, I am assuming Tallon had interest) Tallon maintains room to sign Luongo. He is coming, I'm afraid.
Quite the assumption, I don't think he had any interest at all. Quite the assumption on my part as well, I know.

07-03-2012, 12:17 AM
zeroG

tho i don't hold any grudges and think he's a different person now, i'm not sad we passed on the joker. he doesn't scare me at all in WPG.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Quite the assumption, I don't think he had any interest at all. Quite the assumption on my part as well, I know.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Lol.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Erick

Tallon likes guys who have won.
Olli Jokinen has done the opposite of winning his whole career.

As I've said for awhile, I highly doubt there was ever any interest.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Pantherfan12

I think we all need to relax a little bit. It's only July 3rd, and none of the top free agents have gone anywhere.. For all we know Semin decides to come to Fla, or Parise.. you never know.. Even if they don't ,I'm sure Tallon is still looking for deals and players. If he feels that Huberdeau and Howden can crack the lineup and make an impact, then I trust him. I trust him because honestly he knows more about hockey and what would make a good team better than I. They keep saying that they aren't done, so we need to be patient. Maybe someone like Pitt or Det.. I dunno, will sign Parise but need to rid themselves of some cap space, so they'll trade us a possibly 2nd line center for draft picks, or prospects to make room for Parise. I just think that panicking because Olli and Garrison have signed is a bit over dramatic. I don't think Tallon is happy with our squad and will want to improve it. I am not sure what to think about the Luongo fiasco,but one has to assume that based on Tallon resigning Clemmer and stating that Clemmer,Theo, and Markstrom will be fighting for that #1 spot,that he isn't interested in Luongo anymore.. Also saying that it's in Vancouvers' hands probably means he told him what he's willing to give up and it's up to Gillis on whether he gives in.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:51 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
tho i don't hold any grudges and think he's a different person now, i'm not sad we passed on the joker. he doesn't scare me at all in WPG.
The Peg was a pain in our arse last year, so any improvement in that team does not make me a happy camper. I don't care what anyone thinks of Joker as a person, as a player he makes them a better team period.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:37 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Jets makes sense for OJ, he said how much he and his family like Calgary and would have wanted to stay, Winnipeg is kind of a similar city isn't it?

Quote:
No argument here, but outside of Marleau, I can't think of any 1st line centers on the market.... and you still need to fill the 2C slot.
Marleau isn't really a center anymore. He's played LW recently with Trollton (that's not a typo) or Couture, whatever coach Koala feels like. And IMO Patty fits the wing better than center.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

We are all talking about needing a centre but when we drafted Huberdeau he was thought of as a centre. I know everyone on this board is thinking he will be a winger and then maybe move over to centre but has anyone from the Panthers actually said this?

Old
07-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
We are all talking about needing a centre but when we drafted Huberdeau he was thought of as a centre. I know everyone on this board is thinking he will be a winger and then maybe move over to centre but has anyone from the Panthers actually said this?
I haven't heard anything. I'm just assuming he'll play wing. Guess well find out pretty soon.

-ghoste

Old
07-03-2012, 05:07 AM
ShootIt

Huberdeau has spent two years at Left Wing in the Q.
He still is a twig.
Is he defensively responsible for the center role?

Old
07-03-2012, 05:50 AM
SufferingCatFan

It is obvious that posters fall into 2 camps- win now vs. Build for the future. Those who want to win argue that we should have resigned JG, maybe Sammy and have pursued a 2c either in free agency or by trade. Those who believe that we should rebuild are content to develop our prospects even if it means not making the play offs.

It seems that trader Tallon is of 2 minds. On the one hand, he wants to win to continue to develop a winning culture so he is willing to look at deals like Lou, which offer both an immediate and a longer term upside. On the other hand, he will not sacrifice any of our top prospects. In the interim, he invests in short term contracts, like Kuba and Parros, to bridge the gap while our prospects develop.

Got to admit that Tallon is pretty damn smart. He is doing exactly what he said he would do--give us a chance to win now while building a potential Cup team for the future. Plan the work; work the plan. First time in a decade that we have a qualified GM

Old
07-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
A lot of things are being held up with the uncertainty of Parise & Suter. Once they have signed, a lot of things are going to happen quickly. Teams that miss out on Parise will go after Semin. Also some teams are interested in Rick Nash and those teams may need to move salary even after that deal happens.

I'm actually hoping the Flyers do get Rick Nash cause that means they need to move salary as well. And maybe we can get someone like Briere here who could be a decent fit. He's only signed for 3 more yrs which would give the prospects time to develop. But his last 2 yrs of his deal are only $3M and $2M, respectively so that makes him a value IMO (he's owed $7m next yr). He can play center or RW which would help our depth and he's a proven playoff performer who could help us when it counts the most. He's on the downslope of his career but should be able to put up 40+ pts for the next 2 yrs.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:36 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I think we all need to relax a little bit. It's only July 3rd, and none of the top free agents have gone anywhere.. For all we know Semin decides to come to Fla, or Parise.. you never know.. Even if they don't ,I'm sure Tallon is still looking for deals and players. If he feels that Huberdeau and Howden can crack the lineup and make an impact, then I trust him. I trust him because honestly he knows more about hockey and what would make a good team better than I. They keep saying that they aren't done, so we need to be patient. Maybe someone like Pitt or Det.. I dunno, will sign Parise but need to rid themselves of some cap space, so they'll trade us a possibly 2nd line center for draft picks, or prospects to make room for Parise. I just think that panicking because Olli and Garrison have signed is a bit over dramatic. I don't think Tallon is happy with our squad and will want to improve it. I am not sure what to think about the Luongo fiasco,but one has to assume that based on Tallon resigning Clemmer and stating that Clemmer,Theo, and Markstrom will be fighting for that #1 spot,that he isn't interested in Luongo anymore.. Also saying that it's in Vancouvers' hands probably means he told him what he's willing to give up and it's up to Gillis on whether he gives in.
That's how I interpreted it as well.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
ShootIt

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,7729645.story

Looks like we might done after all.

"General Manager expects 2-3 prospects, especially Jonathan Huberdeau, to make the team in October"

Quote:
Tallon all but said that Huberdeau has made the 2012-13 Panthers, because at 19 he's too young to play in the AHL. And after scoring 177 points in 104 regular-season games for Saint John of the QMJHL over the past two seasons he "has nothing more to prove" in juniors.

He also left the door open for Bjugstad, who will have to decide whether to return to the Gophers where he scored 42 points in 40 games while falling short in the NCAA semifinals, or compete for an NHL job in two months.

"The stable is full and I'm hoping to start emptying it here slowly but surely,'' Skrudland said. "[Huberdeau, Bjugstad and Howden] are ready as they're going to be. In another couple of months they'll realize the state of the Panthers that there's room to push some people for a job and that's awful exciting for the entire group.''

Old
07-03-2012, 08:02 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post

"General Manager expects 2-3 prospects, especially Jonathan Huberdeau, to make the team in October"
Here comes the spin control telling us that the young guys will be studs right when they step in. If Huberdeau scores 15 goals and 40 points, I'll be impressed first year. I also would like Bjugstad to develop more slowly, as I don't want him to become the next Matthias. Howden could use some AHL time as well to get his offense game down at the pro level before coming up. Don't want him to settle in as a grinder without focusing on his offensive game. We honestly need another forward in here to provide offense. We were too mediocre. These three young guys may end up being studs in 2-3 years or more, but counting on them to come in and make big contributions is setting us up for failure.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:22 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Here comes the spin control telling us that the young guys will be studs right when they step in. If Huberdeau scores 15 goals and 40 points, I'll be impressed first year. I also would like Bjugstad to develop more slowly, as I don't want him to become the next Matthias. Howden could use some AHL time as well to get his offense game down at the pro level before coming up. Don't want him to settle in as a grinder without focusing on his offensive game. We honestly need another forward in here to provide offense. We were too mediocre. These three young guys may end up being studs in 2-3 years or more, but counting on them to come in and make big contributions is setting us up for failure.
This. Enough said. It's interesting because this would be going against his ideology, unless he and his staff really, honestly believe these guys won't be hindered by jumping in next season. Regardless all I can really say is ->

Old
07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

From the Tallon interview:

"We are looking to get center-men and top offensive players, but there aren't many around... and the ones that are, they're expensive"

Tallon's no fool. He is still looking. If he can make a sensible deal, he will. He's not just packing up his clubs and heading to the links for the rest of the summer. If he can't make a deal, then yes, we'll be seeing an extra kid make the team next year.

Seriously, what do you expect him to do? Abduct a scorer at gunpoint?

Old
07-03-2012, 08:35 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:

"We are looking to get center-men and top offensive players, but there aren't many around... and the ones that are, they're expensive"

Tallon's no fool. He is still looking. If he can make a sensible deal, he will. He's not just packing up his clubs and heading to the links for the rest of the summer. If he can't make a deal, then yes, we'll be seeing an extra kid make the team next year.

All of us understand this, but it also sounds all too familiar from a time not many of us like to revisit. I guess all you can do though is trust that Tallon will make the right decision in regards to the young guys making the jump and not stunting their development. I don't blindly trust it though.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:37 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:

ATF do you think DT is temporarily handcuffed because he thinks luongo coming here is inevitable?

Old
07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
ATF do you think DT is temporarily handcuffed because he thinks luongo coming here is inevitable?
IMO, if it was inevitable, it would have already happened.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:50 AM
ShootIt

Is there any center out there in FA that is better than Goc?

I would think Shore would be more "Pro" ready than Bjugstad, no?

Old
07-03-2012, 08:52 AM
PanthersRule96

The longer Vancouver waits, the lower Luongo's value becomes. That's to our benefit. Dale needs to be making moves right now and if we can still accomodate luongo later, good for us.

We can either get a scorer or two and improve our team, or we can get Luongo. Either way, I think we'd be in good shape for making the playoffs again. Given how our team is built, I think we need a Luongo type to give us a chance to make it past the first round. A scorer like Huselius or whoever we'd have a shot at getting will not make that big of a difference come playoff time.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:09 AM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
Quote:
I am one of the few on this board who wouldn't be upset to see Weiss on his way out of town, but this move still would leave us short a top 6 center going into the season.
Did someone say trade Weiss?

Awwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old
07-03-2012, 09:36 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post

Spin control.

Dont rush Markstrom, we dont rush our young'ns.

Lots of spots for our juniors, dont want to clog up spots with FA.

I dont listen to any of that crap. I still firmly believe he and Viner will not let the product regress...just bad buisness.

Closed Thread