HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012!

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Is there any center out there in FA that is better than Goc?

I would think Shore would be more "Pro" ready than Bjugstad, no?
Bjugstad plays more of a pro style game than Shore at this point. I really dont think either will make the team though. Its possible sure, but not very likely. Howden has a great chance though.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
ShootIt

EJ just signed a 4 year 15 mil contract with Colorado.

Maybe sets a bar for Kulikov and Tallon?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Bjugstad plays more of a pro style game than Shore at this point. I really dont think either will make the team though. Its possible sure, but not very likely. Howden has a great chance though.
Howden will probably make it. I'd prefer all three to go to San Antonio for the year with the occasional call up and take it from there. What we really need is Bjugstad to go pro so he can take part in the rookie tournament and training camp so we can see where he really stands. He may very well be ready for that second line center spot. I really hope he turns pro because he needs to play against men to learn how to take his game to the next level.

Hubs Weiss Versteeg
Flash Bjugstad Bergie/Upshall

That has potential to be good but two rookies in your top 6 isn't ideal.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
EJ just signed a 4 year 15 mil contract with Colorado.

Maybe sets a bar for Kulikov and Tallon?
That's good news. Maybe Kuli has a hard time even breaking 3M now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Howden will probably make it. I'd prefer all three to go to San Antonio for the year with the occasional call up and take it from there. What we really need is Bjugstad to go pro so he can take part in the rookie tournament and training camp so we can see where he really stands. He may very well be ready for that second line center spot. I really hope he turns pro because he needs to play against men to learn how to take his game to the next level.

Hubs Weiss Versteeg
Flash Bjugstad Bergie/Upshall

That has potential to be good but two rookies in your top 6 isn't ideal.
The guys making these decisions are better qualified than us, but I don't think Bjugstad is ready for the NHL yet. He's close, but I don't think he's fully grown into his body yet, especially since it seems like he's added over 10 lbs. this summer if he really is 220. But who knows, I guess there's only one way we'll find out. He'd have to have a stellar camp though to have any shot.

I think Howden could really help though. He already plays like an NHLer and he brings a nice package to the table.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
ShootIt

I would say Huberdeau is a lock. Howden 60-75% and Bjugstad is 50/50* if he signs a ELC.

Would be awesome, and also crazy/unrealistic, to have a line of Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Howden.

Playmaking, size, shooting, grit and speed all in one line.

Soon...

Old
07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
A lot of things are being held up with the uncertainty of Parise & Suter. Once they have signed, a lot of things are going to happen quickly. Teams that miss out on Parise will go after Semin. Also some teams are interested in Rick Nash and those teams may need to move salary even after that deal happens.

I'm actually hoping the Flyers do get Rick Nash cause that means they need to move salary as well. And maybe we can get someone like Briere here who could be a decent fit. He's only signed for 3 more yrs which would give the prospects time to develop. But his last 2 yrs of his deal are only $3M and $2M, respectively so that makes him a value IMO (he's owed $7m next yr). He can play center or RW which would help our depth and he's a proven playoff performer who could help us when it counts the most. He's on the downslope of his career but should be able to put up 40+ pts for the next 2 yrs.
This is a huge point! What most of us seem to be missing is that as the "big money teams" overpay to get these expensive guys, they are going to have to dump salary to stay under the Cap. That will cause a few players to shake out in better deals. Likely what DT is waiting for.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
FlaPanthers7

I think Joker would have been a good move - still has his house in Parkland too. 2 years is not a big risk, even at 4 mil. Very similar to the Kuba move for us. Oh well, I'm sure Tallon is trying to address the top 6 forward concern...just gotta wait and see how other moves around the league pan out. I'd rather keep Bjug in college 1 more season unless he is tearing it up on the ice in camp. Shore needs at least a year in A, so I really only see Howden and Hubs making the club. 1 more scoring forward in addition to Hubs makes this team very solid hearing into September.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

http://therattrick.com/2012/07/03/sc...cob-markstrom/

I am very confused with this, can someone clear up what happens at the end of next yr?

Markstroms Entry Level Contract finishes up this upcoming season which his could result in the Panthers playing with fire if they continue to delay Markstrom’s entrance into the NHL.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
harv3317

i trust tallon, but i'm bit confused so far. if we could of gotten garrisson for what the nucks paid we should have done it! parros is a slight upgrade over barche, we have the same goaltending situation as last year which imo is good. kuba is a good signing, but i would have rather had garrison. every team in our division has filled holes except us. ollie fills a glaring hole in winnipeg as he would've here. we should have signed him. no one knows what goes on behind closed doors, buti can tell you if we don't upgrade on offense significantly you can kiss the playoffs goodby, because we're not winning the division!!!! we need to fill some holes. i resign weiss. don' know wherewe get that 1-2 center without giving up major assets. definitnately don't want luongo!!! ollie could've filled a major hole and got us over the hump without jeopardizing our future. we'll see what tallons up to, but i have reservations thus far!!!

Old
07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
http://therattrick.com/2012/07/03/sc...cob-markstrom/

I am very confused with this, can someone clear up what happens at the end of next yr?

Markstroms Entry Level Contract finishes up this upcoming season which his could result in the Panthers playing with fire if they continue to delay Markstrom’s entrance into the NHL.
Could he pull out a Schultz?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:15 PM
ShootIt

Nope. We own his rights till he is 27

Old
07-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
Could he pull out a Schultz?
No. Schultz took advantage of a provision in the CBA.

In order to match the opportunities afforded to graduating seniors who were drafted before their freshman year of college, the CBA allows players like Schultz (who played at least a year of juniors) to withdraw from school after their junior year of college. Doing so opens up a 30-day window, during which the drafting team -- the Ducks in this case -- have exclusive negotiating rights. Once those 30 days are up, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent, one free to listen to team pitches immediately but not available to sign a contract until July 1 -- just like a normal UFA.

Markstrom would be a normal RFA, but he could conceivably say "Trade me right franking now" and force the issue.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:18 PM
p9ers

Good, at least that's a good news. Also I don't see Theo being healthy all season long so we should see Martkstrom play a little in any case.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
BabyJagrov

What about Peter Mueller as a cheap gamble ?

Old
07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I like Mueller, a lot actually as a stop-gap. I live in Denver and watch the Avs quite a bit (when not watching the Panthers on Center Ice, of course). When healthy, Mueller is really good. Problem is he's had concussion problems. I was at the Colorado-Florida game here in Denver last year where he seemed to torch us, and it was his first or second game back from injury. Guy has got skills, no doubt. He won't be a physical presence but he's a much better 2nd C than Goc.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
i trust tallon, but i'm bit confused so far. if we could of gotten garrisson for what the nucks paid we should have done it! parros is a slight upgrade over barche, we have the same goaltending situation as last year which imo is good. kuba is a good signing, but i would have rather had garrison. every team in our division has filled holes except us. ollie fills a glaring hole in winnipeg as he would've here. we should have signed him. no one knows what goes on behind closed doors, buti can tell you if we don't upgrade on offense significantly you can kiss the playoffs goodby, because we're not winning the division!!!! we need to fill some holes. i resign weiss. don' know wherewe get that 1-2 center without giving up major assets. definitnately don't want luongo!!! ollie could've filled a major hole and got us over the hump without jeopardizing our future. we'll see what tallons up to, but i have reservations thus far!!!
Bottom line, Garrison didn't want to be here. Tallon made an offer and Garry took less money to go home. His choice, hope he has success in Van.
Kuba is a good fill in. Parros is an upgrade over Barch, and I liked Barch. Our goaltending is just as good and for all we know Marky earns starter in Fla. I think Huberdeau and Howden are an improvement over players such as Santorelli, Sturm, madden( although he was good for us as a vet) I am sure Tallon will pick up some more help and improve our roster.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
ShootIt

I thought Mueller was a winger, not a center ?

Old
07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
I thought Mueller was a winger, not a center ?
Nope, listed as a center but he can play wing if need be. He played wing a lot here in Colorado but he's a natural C.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Mueller does play wing but can also play center.

The more I think about it the more Mueller makes sense here. He's a low risk, high reward type of stop gap for a couple of years.

Give him 2 years at $5-6 Million ($2.5 to 3 Million for each season). It's a low risk move and it could very well pay off (guy has the potential for a 60 point season).

The other thing that strikes me is that he has an absolute CANNON from the point. The Avs used him on the powerplay last season (I think he scored BOTH his goals against us like that last season). With Campbell passing too him perhaps he could tear it up.

He's still young (24) and could really pay off. He's also a right handed shooting forward and we all now how much we need those in our lineup.

I hope Tallon can sign him. I'd be really happy with that pickup to be totally honest.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Jagr went to Dallas for 1-year and $4.5 Million.

That's a lot of money for him...

With that move, I feel like Dallas may be looking to move Brenden Morrow. I would love to see DT make a move for him. A good character guy with tons of grit and scoring tough. Definitely a DT type player.

I love what Nieuwy is doing down in Big D. Now THAT'S a team that has upgraded their top-6 without sacrificing anything.

Last edited by JonathanHuberdoh: 07-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
No, thanks. Enough of these cheap gambles, like Wolski etc.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Mueller is a MUCH better player with a better attitude than Wolski.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Speaking of wolski guys, where are the shootout goals coming from without santorelli and wolski? I would guess huby is good at it but no knowledge to that end.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:35 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Mueller actually scared me when he played against the Panthers. Would love him to be signed here, he would be a lot better than a guy like Semin, or even Parise. He actually fits here, I didn't know he played center, but thats our guy if he does.

Dale is still working the phones.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Panthers have signed Jean-François Jacques. News to me?

Another 4th liner?

Closed Thread