HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012!

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
I know but Laus you know me! NO patience!!
Lol, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
We are worse defensively IMO. And I'm in a state of panic about our offense. We already couldn't score and now we're even worse. Not to mention Theodore is a year older and I'm certainly not expecting Clemmenson to be anywhere near as good as he was last season. We may need Huberdeau to learn quick and Markstrom to come in and go on a hot streak if we want to have any chance of not being a lottery team. I was extremely critical of Versteeg last year because he was streaky all year and I went as far as saying I think we should just let him go and find a replacement. But seeing the free agent list now, I'm thinking we should do anything at all costs to lock him up long term.
Yeah, but there's no need to panic. FA is being held prisoner right now while Parise and Suter figure things out. If other teams were active (not just here and there), I'd be annoyed, but I do trust Tallon.

For a decade we have had incompetence here, we've got someone who knows what he's doing, give him more than 3 days guys. Pleeeeease!!!

07-04-2012, 12:20 AM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Washington went through a prolonged slump, injury problems and a crappy year by Ovechkin.

Carolina had their best goal scorer out for most of the season.
Let's not forget that Washington loses Semin, which will hurt their secondary scoring. I'm also not sold on their goalie situation, but it could work out for them.

Carolina should be much better with Staal and Staal.

Tampa goalie situation is also suspect. It could work out for them, but I'd be uncomfortable with Lindback as my number one backed up by Garon...

Winnipeg is better on paper, but we'll see what happens on the ice. They have good depth, but lack top-end punch like we do.

I really don't think our division is so much improved over last year that it should be a reason to worry. If we can't handle slightly better competition, we don't deserve a playoff spot anyways.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I would say our team is on par with last year's team as of this moment.

Kuba, improved Gudbranson, and improved Kulikov should more than make up for the missing Garrison so defense is about the same. Strachan likely replaces Ellerby as the 7th dman and that is arguably an upgrade.

For the forwards, our top line is the same except I think we'll see a better season out of Versteeg. He was playing hurt the last half, so that isn't the Versteeg we should expect which means there is upside to our first line. Him and Flash have also never been in first-line roles before, so I would expect last year's experience to help them prepare for this year.

Behind them, Samuelson will be missed, but I'm thinking Huberdeau should replace some of that and a healthier Upshall should be a benefit as well. Let's also not forget that Goc was very good when not hurt last season and a full season from him would be a big help.

In goal we may be a bit worse if Theo and Clemmer aren't able to sustain last year's form, but I don't think it will be drastically different.

Of course I'd like to add a first/second line center or a top-six forward, but the roster we have is comparable to last year's and has the potential to be better without some of the injuries we had and some improvement from our players (which is not that much of a stretch). Dineen also has another year under his belt which should be a plus. We were usually competitive, and I see no reason why basically the same team, having played a year together, would regress.

Sure I'm a bit worried that our division has improved, but it's not like we trampled our division last season and scored easy points, a lot of those points came from other teams that are now a bit weaker. Also, even if we weren't division champs, we still would have been in the playoffs. I don't think it's a stretch to say that, with our current roster, we have a good chance to reach 95 points and get into the playoffs again.

Anything else added to our roster from this point onward is gravy.
I agree.... I also want to throw my two cents in here. I don't think we're in a worse situation than last season. Honestly, other than Garrison,what have we lost?? Sammy was great on the PP but we have to remember it took him a month or two before he actually joined the team and played a full game due to injuries. We will miss Garry and his booming shot, but he decided to leave to go play with his hometown team so we can't blame Tallon for his departure. Kuba had very similar numbers to Garry, and he's done it more than one year. He's signed for two years,so it's not like Tallon signed another old timer to a four year contract.. He feels that Howden, Huberdeau, and possibly Bjugstad have a good chance at making the team and making an impact. We brought in Parros to help keep our players from getting mowed over, and he takes the spot of Barch, so we're okay there. We have Theo,Clemmer, and Markstrom and it seems like most people were okay with this because we didn't want to in any way insult Markstrom by bringing in Luongo and his bloated 10 year contract. I think our goaltending situation will be fine, as it is almost every year. Just like it's been mentioned, even though other teams have improved their rosters, we are also going to get a healthy Bergy,Flash,Versteeg and hopefully Theo. You never know what deals Tallon is going to make and if he actually has a chance at bringing in someone like Semin to improve our scoring depth.
As bad as it is waiting for Parise and Suter to make their decisions, I think we might be waiting until they do decide before Tallon makes more deals.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:02 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

We still have time to develop our prospects and get new guys into the club... I mean, I kinda do agree with Tallon on not signing the guys that were in FA this year, most of them are either one hit wonders or old guys that we don't need on long term deals. I say, we pick up a guy like Mueller that can fit our second line role as a center, and pick up maybe another winger for Huby. Other than that our third line is set, our first line isn't ELITE but it will do the job, and our fourth line is obviously set. Defense is probably a little bit less offensive but a little bit more defensive, but with the same respect Kuba is a 40 point guy at times in his career, Garrison might be a one hit wonder (who knows?). We have added more grit to the team, and we are a lot tougher. Tallon isn't done, and I know that for sure, Luongo is still up for grabs even though I don't really want him, he would make our club a bit better. We will see what happens, every day is a mystery and I think it's pretty exciting not knowing what Tallon has up his sleeve, he could really surprise us.. just keep that in mind.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Speaking of wolski guys, where are the shootout goals coming from without santorelli and wolski? I would guess huby is good at it but no knowledge to that end.
As you can see AG, nobody here cares. Don't know why, after all our SO losses last year, and the fact that we seem to ice the same low scoring type team (= tight games - many SOs again).

I've written about it here every now and then. Hubey probably can help, but I would bring Wolski back. I think Wolski can do other things aswell, he is not useless. But the real purpose for him would be to score on SO. Keep one of the kids down and bring in WW. No hurry though, we can first see other routes, he will be cheap.

Also Tallon has said nothing about Wolski, so that guides the conversation here to other issues.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:21 AM
5 Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
We will see what happens, every day is a mystery and I think it's pretty exciting not knowing what Tallon has up his sleeve, he could really surprise us.. just keep that in mind.
This. I agree.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Hole View Post
This. I agree.
Yeah, me too. Well said as well.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
As you can see AG, nobody here cares. Don't know why, after all our SO losses last year, and the fact that we seem to ice the same low scoring type team (= tight games - many SOs again).

I've written about it here every now and then. Hubey probably can help, but I would bring Wolski back. I think Wolski can do other things aswell, he is not useless. But the real purpose for him would be to score on SO. Keep one of the kids down and bring in WW. No hurry though, we can first see other routes, he will be cheap.

Also Tallon has said nothing about Wolski, so that guides the conversation here to other issues.
Guys aren't given contracts for their ability in the crapshoot.
Hopefully we won't be in as many shootouts next year. The amount of OT/SO games last year was quite the anamoly.

I predict we'll either win more games in regulation or lose more games in regulation next year.

Closed Thread