HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Frenzy -- 2012 Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/stat...85070409842690

Maybe we will have some news tonight!
He doesn't like waiting.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
...ok, I'm lost.

Look at the Penguins. They have two players at 8.7 AAV, three more at 5 AAV, and still have 11 million to spare _this_ season. I'm not sure why you would be concerned that adding one player at 7.8 would keep the Flyers from resigning Giroux two years from now...
The Pens have $11M to spare because they traded Staal and Michalek. They dumped a defender from an already weak defense corps so they can chase Parise. There's also rumors they will trade other players as well. The Flyers may afford to keep Giroux and Parise, but they may have to trade talent around him to do so.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The Pens have $11M to spare because they traded Staal and Michalek. They dumped a defender from an already weak defense corps so they can chase Parise. There's also rumors they will trade other players as well. The Flyers may afford to keep Giroux and Parise, but they may have to trade talent around him to do so.
I already made a post about this in the Parise thread on the trade forums. I commented on how, similarly to the Flyers, the Pens are already strong at forward and thin at defense and they just worsened that by trading Staal and Michalek to sign Parise. Therefore, by signing Parise I argue that they're making their team even weaker.

Just for reference, they were the highest scoring team in the league last year without Parise by far. Even without Staal's 25 goals they're still 4th best in the NHL. Conversely, they were ranked 12th and in goals against. That's without taking into factor their disaster of a playoff round and shaky goaltending.

Old
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He doesn't like waiting.
Don't make Big Fancy wait.

I expect him now to just trade a big package to get Nash just so he can get his Free Agent Frenzy fix.

Old
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/stat...85070409842690

Maybe we will have some news tonight!
If Parise is apparently choosing tomorrow I'm sure we'll hear a lot after that signing.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Timonen (6.33) - Number one d-man.
Meszaros (4.00) - Number 4/5 d-man.
Hartnell (4.20) - Top six winger.
Shelley (1.10) - Extra forward.
Lilja (0.74) - Extra d-man.

You have to replace all those people. As well as give raises to Simmonds, Voracek, Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, etc. Then you also have to keep in mind that, as the cap rises, so does the cost of players.
Timonen replaced by emerging Coburn and addition of Suter.
Meszaros replaced by emerging Manning/Bourdon/Gustafsson and/or UFA additions.

Hartnell is the only one I see us having a problem with replacing.

Raises to B. Schenn and Couturier will be 2nd-round ELCs. They will not be so high.
Simmonds and Voracek will be 3rd-round ELCs. They will be mid-range price.

L. Schenn, Coburn, and Grossmann are all locked up fairly long-term, and unless they break out, any raises at the end of their contracts will likely be minor.

It's all very doable.

Keep in mind that my equation also factored in a lowering salary cap as well. With a lowering salary cap, players' prices will go down, not up. So you're actually wrong. And even if player prices continue to go up, it means the cap will continue to climb. Therefore, we will be alright either way.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
This has to be the worst July 1st in the recent years... it was just boring. Hope tomorrow will be big.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:26 PM
healthyscratch

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Garrison left $ on table - was offered "Wideman money" elsewhere - but wanted to play for hometown VAN, which held firm on internal $ scale.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
This has to be the worst July 1st in the recent years... it was just boring. Hope tomorrow will be big.

There's only two names that everybody cares about.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Timonen replaced by emerging Coburn and addition of Suter.
Meszaros replaced by emerging Manning/Bourdon/Gustafsson and/or UFA additions.

Hartnell is the only one I see us having a problem with replacing.

Raises to B. Schenn and Couturier will be 2nd-round ELCs. They will not be so high.
Simmonds and Voracek will be 3rd-round ELCs. They will be mid-range price.

L. Schenn, Coburn, and Grossmann are all locked up fairly long-term, and unless they break out, any raises at the end of their contracts will likely be minor.

It's all very doable.

Keep in mind that my equation also factored in a lowering salary cap as well. With a lowering salary cap, players' prices will go down, not up. So you're actually wrong. And even if player prices continue to go up, it means the cap will continue to climb. Therefore, we will be alright either way.
...You're expecting Coburn to "emerge" yet not break out? What does that even mean?

You're making the assumption that Coburn grows (which he hasn't shown he will) and that either Manning will turn into a quality NHL player and/or that Gustafsson/MAB will manage to turn into someone as good as Meszaros (a player capable of being a second pairing d-man, something those two are not capable of right now).

Old
07-01-2012, 07:28 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
It's only the first day of free agency, Holmgren will make up for a boring first day. Probably tomorrow

Old
tuckrr

Quote:
I already made a post about this in the Parise thread on the trade forums. I commented on how, similarly to the Flyers, the Pens are already strong at forward and thin at defense and they just worsened that by trading Staal and Michalek to sign Parise. Therefore, by signing Parise I argue that they're making their team even weaker.

Just for reference, they were the highest scoring team in the league last year without Parise by far. Even without Staal's 25 goals they're still 4th best in the NHL. Conversely, they were ranked 12th and in goals against. That's without taking into factor their disaster of a playoff round and shaky goaltending.
They've already traded staal. Looking forward how does signing Parise make their team weaker?

You have to look at these signings in a bubble. What's done is done.

I'd rather see the 2012/13 pens not have Parise.

Old
Damaged Goods

Tip of the cap to Ed Snider for putting over $200 M in contract offers on the table in a single afternoon.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
They've already traded staal. Looking forward how does signing Parise make their team weaker?

You have to look at these signings in a bubble. What's done is done.

I'd rather see the 2012/13 pens not have Parise.
I explained that. Trading Staal and Michalek doesn't happen if they aren't expecting to make a big free agent splash via Parise/Suter.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
...You're expecting Coburn to "emerge" yet not break out? What does that even mean?

You're making the assumption that Coburn grows (which he hasn't shown he will) and that either Manning will turn into a quality NHL player and/or that Gustafsson/MAB will manage to turn into someone as good as Meszaros (a player capable of being a second pairing d-man, something those two are not capable of right now).
No, I'm making the assumption that our current players outside of a select few (with expiring contracts anyway) will not regress in the upcoming seasons and that some will actually improve.

Any holes left will be filled by emerging prospects, emerging talent, or the general manager himself via trade or free agency.

Look, I'm not going make a model of our finances over the next 5 years just to prove a point.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
No, I'm making the assumption that our current players outside of a select few (with expiring contracts anyway) will not regress in the upcoming seasons and that some will actually improve.

Any holes left will be filled by emerging prospects, emerging talent, or the general manager himself via trade or free agency.

Look, I'm not going make a model of our finances over the next 5 years just to prove a point.
So you're expecting for none of our players to regress, Coburn to "emerge" but not "break out", and holes to be filled by emerging talent or emerging prospects in an extremely weak prospect pool whose only real talent is Laughton? Riiight.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Cbssports had Kubina as the 21st best upcoming UFA, ahead of Jackman, Selanne, Stoll, Brodeur, Salo, Smyth and Penner.

Looks like someone was using NHL 12 ratings

Old
07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
SAINDON

Bob McKenzie said the Flyers are the most aggressive team financially. The offers for Suter and Parise are $100 Million plus for each.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Cbssports had Kubina as the 21st best upcoming UFA, ahead of Jackman, Selanne, Stoll, Brodeur, Salo, Smyth and Penner.

Looks like someone was using NHL 12 ratings
Haha. Wow, that is pretty bad.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
So you're expecting for none of our players to regress, Coburn to "emerge" but not "break out", and holes to be filled by emerging talent or emerging prospects in an extremely weak prospect pool whose only real talent is Laughton? Riiight.
I think the presumption is that the emerging talent is already on the big team roster.

If you want to figure it out, project the cap and create new contracts on capgeek for summer 2014 and so on.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
Bob McKenzie said the Flyers are the most aggressive team financially. The offers for Suter and Parise are $100 Million plus for each.
One thing you can respect with this team is they are willing to spend anything they want on the prized free agents. Like someone else said, cap tip to Mr Snider.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I think the presumption is that the emerging talent is already on the big team roster.

If you want to figure it out, project the cap and create new contracts on capgeek for summer 2014 and so on.
If talent emerges on the roster then Homer is going to have to pay for it. Which, in turn, makes it harder to fit Giroux, Parise, and Suter all under the cap.

I'm not arguing that it's impossible to fit Giroux, Parise, and Suter into the team. I'm just saying it's not worth it and makes it much harder to manage the team.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Coburn has become a #2. Outside of a healthy Timonen, he is currently our best defenseman.

So he's already broken out. I'm expecting him to "emerge" as the leader of the defense this year, particularly if we don't sign Suter.

I also expect L. Schenn to start turning back to the right path in much the same way Coburn did.

Look, explaining things to you is become really frustrating. Can you apply some context, so I don't have to baby every answer at every turn?

As for our prospect pool comment. I'm not explaining how dumb that comment is.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Coburn has become a #2. Outside of a healthy Timonen, he is currently our best defenseman.

So he's already broken out. I'm expecting him to "emerge" as the leader of the defense this year, particularly if we don't sign Suter.

I also expect L. Schenn to start turning back to the right path in much the same way Coburn did.

Look, explaining things to you is become really frustrating. Can you apply some context, so I don't have to baby every answer at every turn?

As for our prospect pool comment. I'm not explaining how dumb that comment is.
You've been historically known as someone who's impossible to talk to so I don't even know why I'm trying.

Also you're an ******* for continually using the word babying and facepalming me.

All I see you doing is throwing around cheap insults, pretending like you know everything per usual, and making a lot of positive assumptions regarding the team.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I just don't understand this mentality.

This team wasn't good enough last season, what makes you think not doing anything is a good idea?
You gotta realize we had quite a few injured players, we have some very promising young players that showed a lot in their first year,and Bryz was not fully adjusted to playing in Philly....Nothing wrong with staying the course in my opinion and staying with this very promising group.Bryz should have a much better year,and our young core has a year of experience now under their belts....

Closed Thread