Dallas Stars Free Agent Frenzy feat. DJ GMJN

Old
07-09-2012, 01:45 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Does anyone think that Doan will sign with Dallas to play on the 3rd line? There's no way he'll go for that. Anaheim seems the most likely and the team that needs him the most. I think when they signed Jagr that basically eliminated Doan coming here.
Depends what's most important to him. Youre right, though; Dallas really doesn't make sense though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Alistar

vCash: 500
you know we've heard before from other sources that Dallas was going to be one of the teams after Doan, but we also heard that he will be demanding a retirement type contract. I just don't see it happening, and I certaintly won't be swayed by that crappy fake twitter account.

**another incident that springs to mind is when Nieuwendyk was doing some interview and the guy asking him questions said something along the lines of "oh well you've done quite a bit and there's still probably many moves left to make..." and Nieuwendyk cut him off and told him that the team was pretty much finalized as it stands now.

Last edited by Alistar: 07-09-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Dallasman

Things could change. If Doan is really looking around I'm certain Gagliardi is in GM JN's ear telling him to go after him because of the connection the two have.

If we managed to sign Doan I'd be ecstatic. He's a GREAT leader and I think he'd be a great addition to this club.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

I can understand a guy like that not wanting to play on the third line..But from the Stars perspective, heck yeah load the hell up, having that kind of scoring depth would be awesome. Even being able to suggest something like Ryder on the third line..unimaginable last year. That's where the Bruins had him. Top shelf teams sometimes don't have room to fit all their top six caliber players in the top six. For me as long as it's not long term then it would be a good thing.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:33 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

I would take him on our 3rd line for sure, but I'm very very doubtful that this willl happen. In fact, Newy already announced that the free agent thing was basically done.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
I would take him on our 3rd line for sure, but I'm very very doubtful that this willl happen. In fact, Newy already announced that the free agent thing was basically done.
So what do you say if Doan comes to us and says he wants to play for the Stars? What do you say then? No thanks, we're good?

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:41 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
So what do you say if Doan comes to us and says he wants to play for the Stars? What do you say then? No thanks, we're good?
Did you read what I said?

Old
07-09-2012, 11:48 AM
starsfan4ever

I'd love to have Doan, but I think GMJN wants to maintain cap flexibility for when we become a more desirable destination for free agents. That way, we can lure an upper tier free agent and pay guys of our own.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:18 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan4ever View Post
I'd love to have Doan, but I think GMJN wants to maintain cap flexibility for when we become a more desirable destination for free agents. That way, we can lure an upper tier free agent and pay guys of our own.
Doan would have little to no impact on that. Besides, I can't imagine Morrow stays on the roster with Doan in the fold. I think they'd sell him off to the highest bidder (of course one he'd be willing to waive the NTC for) regardless of the return. You get a better version of what Morrow brings in Doan. It's honestly the ideal transition IMO. Even if Robidas stays, you've removed 3 dominant voices in the locker room in Morrow, Ott, and Ribeiro and you've upgrade your talent and leadership (IMO) with Doan, Jagr, and Whitney.

I agree you'd have a difficult time convincing him to take 3rd line minutes, but cap flexibility would not even be a minor speed bump in deciding whether to add him.

If Morrow would go to Vancouver and you could land Mason Raymond for him, I'd take a run at Bouwmeester. See if you can package Fistric+Raymond+whatever you need within reason to get it done. I think you'd have an even stronger team after that trade.

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Fraser-Eakin-Doan
Nystrom-Fiddler-Vincour
Wandell-Garbutt

Bouwmeester-Larsen
Dillon-Daley
Goligoski-Robidas
Rome

Lehtonen
Bachman

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Doan would have little to no impact on that. Besides, I can't imagine Morrow stays on the roster with Doan in the fold. I think they'd sell him off to the highest bidder (of course one he'd be willing to waive the NTC for) regardless of the return. You get a better version of what Morrow brings in Doan. It's honestly the ideal transition IMO. Even if Robidas stays, you've removed 3 dominant voices in the locker room in Morrow, Ott, and Ribeiro and you've upgrade your talent and leadership (IMO) with Doan, Jagr, and Whitney.

I agree you'd have a difficult time convincing him to take 3rd line minutes, but cap flexibility would not even be a minor speed bump in deciding whether to add him.

If Morrow would go to Vancouver and you could land Mason Raymond for him, I'd take a run at Bouwmeester. See if you can package Fistric+Raymond+whatever you need within reason to get it done. I think you'd have an even stronger team after that trade.

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Fraser-Eakin-Doan
Nystrom-Fiddler-Vincour
Wandell-Garbutt

Bouwmeester-Larsen
Dillon-Daley
Goligoski-Robidas
Rome

Lehtonen
Bachman
I LOVE that potential lineup. I don't think third line minutes will be an issue for Doan. If he chooses a contender there's a good chance that's where he'd be playing anyway. Question is does he want to go to the Stars period. Frankly adding him and making a defensive move and...well the roster would look pretty dang good for making a run.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
bug

With Ryder having one year left ... would you move Ryder for Bouwmeester if you could sign Doan? I think it just depends on how many years Doan is looking for.

bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
With Ryder having one year left ... would you move Ryder for Bouwmeester if you could sign Doan? I think it just depends on how many years Doan is looking for.
Yes you would, but Calgary isn't going to make that deal.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
bug

They're rumored to be asking for a top 6 forward for him ... Ryder is a 35 goal top six scorer that is affordable and resignable...

Old
07-09-2012, 01:14 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Of course I do that.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
They're rumored to be asking for a top 6 forward for him ... Ryder is a 35 goal top six scorer that is affordable and resignable...
Highly doubtful. There's little doubt they replace him from within.

That's a good idea though honestly. Calgary is not rebuilding, and they might jump at that offense.

Doan could replace Ryder in the Top 6.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Bouwmeester isn't coming cheap. I think Ryder+Robidas/Fistric is an okay start, but we'd have to add. Their fans want prospects, but Feaster is probably looking for guys like what we can offer.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Alistar

yeah I've often heard it suggested that a deal for Bouwmeester would likely require Nemeth or Oleksiak from the Stars end.

I find that kind of trade unacceptable from the Stars end. As much of an upgrade to the defense core it would be, Dallas needs to keep it's eyes firmly on the future.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Jere26

I don't like the word 'contender' that has been used excessively in the media lately. Right now I couldn't say who's a contender in today's NHL, especially as it's not really totally unusual for eg a #8 playoff team to reach the SC Finals. There is never a guarantee to say "a 'contending' team A has higher chances winning the Cup than another team B" in today's NHL IMO. So I'm not fully sure this'll be the main thinking for Doan. Family matters, staying in the southwest, connection to coaches, owners, players etc have their fair share in those thoughts.

I'd totally go for Doan. I don't see cap flexibility as much of an issue. Most players are UFAs next season, we could even get some decent picks for them at the deadline if we manage to suck again this year.

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:06 PM
bug

Has anyone heard that we have offered Doan 2 years at $5.7 million per?

Old
07-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Brand New Stars

Where did you hear that?

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Its a rumor on Twitter started by that hockeyinsider guy that is not a real source. Rumor.

Primetimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:38 PM
HockeyGambit

While Doan would be a nice addition, I'd perfer they let one of the younger players fight for a spot on the roster. They'd get exp and sheltered minutes, Dallas has enough vets they shouldn't clog up the remaining roster spots with more. The team isn't a contendor and if all the talk about getting younger is really what they want to do signing him kind of goes against that. Wheres' a player like Fraser or maybe Glennie or Chassion going to get a chance to play? Fourth line duty?

HockeyGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Yep, I'll say it again, not interested in Doan. Not for the term he wants.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:09 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Let me reiterate that that twitter account is not a legitimate source. It's blocked here for a reason. Please stop bringing those rumors onto the forum.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
BeaverSports

I don't know, a team with the top-six scoring prowess the Stars have and a grinding "third line" featuring Morrow, Doan, and Eakin would be pretty damn scary to match up against. For the price, I'd certainly still be in on Doan.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote