HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

goalie skate reccomendation?

Old
07-14-2012, 09:50 AM
bigbadbruins1

vCash: 500
goalie skate reccomendation?

Hi everyone,
I was recently researching goalie skates. I have been a long time player, flipping from between D and Goalie. Recently my goalie skate runners have been rusting significantly, and my edges are burring and chipping from sharpening. They are old Bauer supreme 3000, about 7 years old so I think its time to upgrade.
I've been investivgating three skates, the Bauer one80, RBK 7K pump, or the graf 750 pro goaler. Out of the three I have been leaning toward the graf simply based on their reputation as a great skate. I was hoping to get some input from other goalies who possibly have used some of the skates I am considering.
Thanks!

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Go for the pumps, most comfortable skate I've ever worn, my 5k's have lasted me 5 seasons

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Thepandamancan

At the end of the day, go for what fits you best obviously.

I had the Bauer One60s which I liked, but never felt quite comfortable. I know a lot of pros (Quick for example) use that cowling, but I had trouble pushing off with those. Also the fit was not that great.

Thanks to defective runners, I was able to warranty them for new skates. I got the Reebok 7Ks instead and love them. It's definitely bulkier and heavier than the Bauers, but it's the perfect skate for your regular senior player I think. I got them a half size too big I think, but the pump makes up for it. As 99 Problems pointed out...they are really comfortable.

I never got to try grafs, but given the chance those would have been my first choice.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Uncle Slick

Although my Reebok 7k's are more comfortable, I still use my Bauer Pros a lot.

When I played, It was nothing but Bauer.

I switched to Reebok pumps a few years back when I was doing a lot of camps, clinics and schools. Being on the ice for extended periods of time, comfort was priority one. I've yet to find a pair of skates more comfortable than the RBKs. ANd that's what I hear a lot.

With all the goalies I get to work with, and through talking with parents, most goalies go for comfort. Some skates just don't fit right. I never felt comfortable when I tried Graf or CCM. In the 12-16 yr old cohort, RBK seems to be the preferred skate, Bauer is a bit more popular than Graf.

When I go on the ice with my team and work with our goalies, I'm back into my Bauer Pros. I feel I move better in my Bauers, and I'll sacrifice the comfort in order to demonstrate technical skills more efficiently and competently. Of the boys that have moved on to JrA, JrB, CIS, NCAA, 75% wear RBK. If I were to play again, I'd stay with my Bauers.

My son just started wearing a used pair of Grafs. He outgrew an older pair of CCMs and he loves these Grafs. I'm on the lookout for the next size up. I've got a used pair of 5kjr pumps that are 2 sizes too big for him as at today, eventually he'll wear them and when he's old enough (and his feet stop growing) he can decide which style, model he prefers for his own reasons.

Good luck.

Uncle Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Primrose Everdeen
The Shermanator

vCash: 564
Would also recommend the Reeboks. Comfort is the most important part of a skate, in my opinion.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote