HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-04-2012, 09:27 AM
cleangene

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Weber's gone, too, most likely. Awesome. Time to strap in for yet another addition of Summertime Pred-a-coaster. Can't we get one ****ing summer where we have nothing but excitement without a bunch of heartbreak and bitterness happening first? Please? I think we're pretty much all decent people. Why do we deserve to be dragged around by our emotions all. of. the. time?
POST OF THE YEAR...maybe the century.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
cleangene

Is there anyway management can use some of the "dynamic duo" money to lock up Josi and Smith for 30 years so this doesn't happen AGAIN (I was going to add Wilson to the group, but IMO he's trade bait for Bobby Ryan)???

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
glenngineer

So if Weber and Suter won't sign here long term, what is the solution to getting guys to sign long term? Obviously Pekka did so someone did something right. Obviously someone or something isn't right for Weber and Suter to want to commit long term. I think once that is nailed down then we can proceed but to say it's the players lying, management not doing what they said they were going to do, Poile not doing his due diligence, Trotz not adapting his system more or his way with players, it's anybodies guess. I'm not saying any of those are what the problem is, I'm saying hypothetically, what is the real problem and the source for Pekka signing for 7 years and the other two not wanting to sign long term, something is not right.

Is it their friends, family and agents saying you'd be megastars in other cities? Agents can sometimes be poison because they look at their client as a cash cow and if they can get endorsement deals in bigger cities, that's more money in their pockets too. Not saying that's what's going on too but you just never know.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:02 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So if Weber and Suter won't sign here long term, what is the solution to getting guys to sign long term? Obviously Pekka did so someone did something right. Obviously someone or something isn't right for Weber and Suter to want to commit long term. I think once that is nailed down then we can proceed but to say it's the players lying, management not doing what they said they were going to do, Poile not doing his due diligence, Trotz not adapting his system more or his way with players, it's anybodies guess. I'm not saying any of those are what the problem is, I'm saying hypothetically, what is the real problem and the source for Pekka signing for 7 years and the other two not wanting to sign long term, something is not right.

Is it their friends, family and agents saying you'd be megastars in other cities? Agents can sometimes be poison because they look at their client as a cash cow and if they can get endorsement deals in bigger cities, that's more money in their pockets too. Not saying that's what's going on too but you just never know.
Maybe it's because Pekka is the coolest guy in hockey while Suter and Weber aren't.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Maybe it's because Pekka is the coolest guy in hockey while Suter and Weber aren't.

I'll agree with that.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:26 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Suter and Weber were here for the firesale. They were here for the sale of the team, and the potential moving of the team. They saw Leipold spend a bunch of money and make everyone hopeful only to realize afterwards that it was a last ditch effort of a man who was going broke because of his own stupidity. Pekka Rinne was not here for that. I wonder how much of a role that plays in the mentality of these three.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:

I think Nashville as a developing market still plays into attracting top Canadian / Russian players for long term deals. Most of the southern franchises who have won the cup were not a result of long-term success leading up to it and existing beyond it (DAL, CAR, TB in recent memory). It was more a concerted and fortuitous push and alignment of players, deadline additions, and great play in the playoffs.

There's definitely a mystique to playing for teams that either have great legacies / history along with solid performance (DET, BOS, CHI, and MTL/PHI to a lesser degree recently).

I suppose I'm a glass half-full type of guy; I have trouble bashing Poile and Trotz because I look across the league and see GM / coaching duos that are so ridiculously inferior. I would have leaped off my balcony years ago if I were a CBJ / CGY / TOR / MTL / etc. fan. I'm not saying it's all market-specific reasons we have trouble hanging onto the Hamhuis / Suter / etcs of the world, but I'm not sure you can consider it entirely a managerial issue either.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Suter and Weber were here for the firesale. They were here for the sale of the team, and the potential moving of the team. They saw Leipold spend a bunch of money and make everyone hopeful only to realize afterwards that it was a last ditch effort of a man who was going broke because of his own stupidity. Pekka Rinne was not here for that. I wonder how much of a role that plays in the mentality of these three.
ITA. It is what has happened in the past which is why they are doubtful.
It says a lot that Gill and Gaustad resigned after just being with the team 2 months. Pekka for 7 yrs. Yes we lost Rads but IMO he was going back to the KHL regardless. AK just didn't fit. Other players look at the preds making the playoffs 7 of the last 8 yrs and to the 2nd round in the last 2 as a successful franchise especially ones who have been stuck with teams who haven't made the playoffs at all. It may not attract the big time FA players because of the small market but I do think that the players that have come since the fire sale look at the team differently. You want players who believe in the team. If they don't then they should go.

INDhockeyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
RT @StarTribune: The #MnWild agrees to terms with Suter, still working on Parise. http://strib.mn/Mx7VAF

Well, there it is

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:02 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Cheer up brothers of the west. We're all gonna be ok. You guys got Ellis too! GOOD NEWS!

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Cheer up brothers of the west. We're all gonna be ok. You guys got Ellis too! GOOD NEWS!
With Suter gone, both Josi and Ellis have to step up big time. Never going to replace Suter obviously be we need a minute eater until these kids can handle it.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
AEM6729

Quote:

My husband pointed out that (other than Radulov of course), we seem to have no problem locking up European players (Rinne, Erat).

Maybe it's a North American thing.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
coviner

As it stands, with Webs still without a contract, Preds stand 30 million below the cap. That's a silly amount of money to play with. What's the cap floor?

coviner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:10 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by coviner View Post
As it stands, with Webs still without a contract, Preds stand 30 million below the cap. That's a silly amount of money to play with. What's the cap floor?
Lets sign all free agents, have a giant training camp, ala NFL style, cuts and all.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by coviner View Post
Cap - 16million = cap floor

If we sign Weber, we're pretty much at the floor once SK and Wilson ink new deals. If we don't sign Weber, we have to find somebody to spend a lot of money on.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

And now we're probably in a bidding war for Carle with the Wings. ****

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
And now we're probably in a bidding war for Carle with the Wings. ****
knew this was going to happen ... also have to factor in Philadelphia this time ... **** is about to get real.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
deanwormer

don't wanna' spend silly money on Carle - rather work on some deals for offense. I think we could get by with Josi next to Weber - I think the question is the 2nd pair with KK. If Blum can play like he did for his 20games and first PO series, we don't HAVE to have a dman at all. Not saying I wanna' bet on that, but I'd be ok with Poile focusing on trying to acquire a sniper or a 1C and waiting to see what might be hanging around that we could pick up as a 2nd pair guy. Unless Carle just wants to come here and takes a reasonable deal.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I want JBo. Perfect compliment to Shea IMO.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:11 PM
predwings

I think these are the steps now.

1) Offer Shea the long-term contract we'd like him to sign.

If Shea Agrees

2a) Make a large move for Carle.

3a) Wilson + Spaling + Blum + 2nd for Bobby Ryan

If Shea Disagrees

2b) Trade Shea Weber for Top-pairing D-man + Minute eating D-man + Offensive Talent + pick

3b) Make offers on Carle + Doan if they sign we can stop here.

3c) Use pieces we get from Weber deal or Roster players to bring in Bobby Ryan.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:19 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
I think these are the steps now.

1) Offer Shea the long-term contract we'd like him to sign.

If Shea Agrees

2a) Make a large move for Carle.

3a) Wilson + Spaling + Blum + 2nd for Bobby Ryan

If Shea Disagrees

2b) Trade Shea Weber for Top-pairing D-man + Minute eating D-man + Offensive Talent + pick

3b) Make offers on Carle + Doan if they sign we can stop here.

3c) Use pieces we get from Weber deal or Roster players to bring in Bobby Ryan.
Another Scenario which wouldn't be too bad.

1) Make offer on Sykora + Carle + Doan

2) Trade Weber for Top pairing D-man, Top-6 centerman, Defensive prospect + pick

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

looking back on this suter situation, it would've been nice to have gotten Erik Johnson for Horny+. Traded suter for whatever. And to be honest it wouldn't have hurt our chances at a cup at the slightest. EJ could fill a 1b role here.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:01 PM
WartracePred

Sign one of the UFA Dmen left or trade for one. Then sign Doan and pick up someone like Bobby Ryan. Any way we could pry Kessler away from Vancouver??

If Poile can't give Weber guys to win a Cup with, trade him before the puck drops in October. He'll leave just like Suter if Poile can't convince top players to come to Nashville.

And if Poile loses Suter AND Weber without a big return, the Preds need a new GM.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:23 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I believe I read that Trotz said that Josi will join Weber on the top now.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
In terms of Weber, Trotz indicated that Roman Josi could slide into Suterís spot on left defense. Of course, Weber is a restricted free agent and the Predators will have to re-sign him.
Per Cooper

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote