HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
“We’re not really proceeding with anything right now,” Weber’s agent Jarrett Bousquet said. “David (Poile) said they want to sign him long-term, so we’ll just wait.”
We'll just wait. For What?! Does he mean a new offer?

If not....Hop on the horn, Poile.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Lol. That was another lie fed to us by Poile-just like how last years team would be paid more than the one prior.

We're now what, 23 million below the floor, including the Goose over payment?

I bet the best Poile can do is get Weber on a 1-year $10 million deal. Then we'll be right back here again in 12 months.
FYI, Trotz and Cigarran were the ones who said we'd be a "cap team" next year.

Also, we did spend more this year than last, albeit not that much more. Definitely was a little misleading, but it wasn't a lie.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
We'll just wait. For What?! Does he mean a new offer?

If not....Hop on the horn, Poile.
Fool me once ... Shame on You ... Fool me twice ... Shame on me

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Sounds like the ball is in Poile's court though not Weber's, serve it up now Poile.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:04 PM
MrJoshua

I'm hoping for:

1. Weber signs a 10+ year deal with a reasonable cap hit. Of course "reasonable" is a relative term. Dude's going to get paid.

2. Poile swings a trade to bring in a high-end forward that can score goals. Bobby Ryan or someone like that.

3. A veteran second-pairing defenseman is signed. Someone with a decent first pass who can play with Klein.

4. Trotz recognizes that he has a more balanced lineup with a little less D and more O, and tweaks his system to take advantage of that fact.

5. The youth on the team (I'm looking at Wilson, Smith, Ellis, Blum, Josi, Bourque and Halischuk here) continue to develop and take steps forward. Blum regains his NHL form and confidence, while Wilson and Smith develop some chemistry and move forward to the next level. Of course this is assuming that all of those players are still here after the trade for offensive help, and of course at least one or two of them will likely be gone.

If all of those things happen, this is a really good team still. One that will be battling for the division title at the end of the year, IMO.

If no offensive help is brought in, unless the young players take large steps forward you have to think this team will be fighting for a playoff spot. With the parity in the league these days I could see that team finishing anywhere in the West, from the top to the bottom, depending on the development of the youth. But probably in the 6-10 spots. Bubble playoff team.

Now if Weber won't sign and he's traded for a good package, well, all bets are off...

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:11 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So if Poile lands Semin and signs Weber to a 6+ year deal, is Poile in everyone's good graces again?

Old
07-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So if Poile lands Semin and signs Weber to a 6+ year deal, is Poile in everyone's good graces again?
Before this summer I said if Poile signed 2/3rds of Rinne Suter and Weber long term then it would have been a successful summer. I still stand by that. If Weber bolts and we don't get anything from him we need to can Poile. He just can't keep his best talents here or in Washington.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
nope ... do not mother ****ing want ... space boy all over again

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-05-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: oops
Old
07-05-2012, 02:21 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Before this summer I said if Poile signed 2/3rds of Rinne Suter and Weber long term then it would have been a successful summer. I still stand by that. If Weber bolts and we don't get anything from him we need to can Poile. He just can't keep his best talents here or in Washington.
I think that's fair too. funny somone told us last year Suter would sign with Parise in Minnesota, funny, like tampering type funny....

Old
07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

still pissed. Really wish i could fast forward to see how this is going to play out into next season....

better be Weber on a lifetime contract

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
AEM6729

I was reading an old article today where I stumbled upon Weber's quote about us needing to spend money, and it got me thinking. Here's a reminder of the quote:

Quote:
"I think that's the hardest part, you look at the past and seeing guys go through your team like Forsberg, Timonen, Hartnell -- you go down the list, all you see is guys leaving. You want to believe him [Poile], they've got the right things in mind. If they say they're going to do it [increase payroll], then they should do it and we've got to trust them."

We all know the Forsberg/Hartnell/Timonen situation could not be more different than the Suter situation, but at this point it doesn't matter: the perception around the league seems to be that Nashville is a small-market team that can't/won't spend money to retain its talent, and perception is reality. Our own f-ing players believe this to be the case!

The more I think about it, the more I believe that it's absolutely imperative for Poile to turn that perception around NOW. Otherwise Weber will be gone. He needs to make a splash, even if it means overpaying for someone like Ryan or Nash. He wouldn't only be giving up assets to acquire the player, but he'd be investing in our image around the league, and that's worth just about anything at this point.

I'm nervous that unless we do this, Weber will leave...he wasn't willing to sign a long-term deal last summer, and pretty much nothing has changed since then except:

1. We were aggressive at the trade deadline (even though some of those acquisitions didn't work out).
2. We've extended offers to several high profile forwards (like Parise and Nash), but they've been unsuccessful.
3. We've lost Suter.

Looking at that above list, it's not enough to make Weber stay. We have to turn around #2, the only thing we still have some control over: extend offers to some high profile forwards, even if they're overpayment offers. We need to show that we'll make a big splash and we need to do it soon.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I was reading an old article today where I stumbled upon Weber's quote about us needing to spend money, and it got me thinking. Here's a reminder of the quote:

We all know the Forsberg/Hartnell/Timonen situation could not be more different than the Suter situation, but at this point it doesn't matter: the perception around the league seems to be that Nashville is a small-market team that can't/won't spend money to retain its talent, and perception is reality. Our own f-ing players believe this to be the case!

The more I think about it, the more I believe that it's absolutely imperative for Poile to turn that perception around NOW. Otherwise Weber will be gone. He needs to make a splash, even if it means overpaying for someone like Ryan or Nash. He wouldn't only be giving up assets to acquire the player, but he'd be investing in our image around the league, and that's worth just about anything at this point.

I'm nervous that unless we do this, Weber will leave...he wasn't willing to sign a long-term deal last summer, and pretty much nothing has changed since then except:

1. We were aggressive at the trade deadline (even though some of those acquisitions didn't work out).
2. We've extended offers to several high profile forwards (like Parise and Nash), but they've been unsuccessful.
3. We've lost Suter.

Looking at that above list, it's not enough to make Weber stay. We have to turn around #2, the only thing we still have some control over: extend offers to some high profile forwards, even if they're overpayment offers. We need to show that we'll make a big splash and we need to do it soon.
Sad thing is...there's no more high-profile forwards to be had that anyone wants. Semin and Doan are the remaining forwards I would really put as "High-profile" Sykora? maybe. We could bring in offensive help but now we still have a monster gap on D we have to fill with either a trade or something else. Consider this like a game of chess. We've just lost our standing castle (Suter) and are reeling. We can sacrifice our other castle (Weber). For two castles and a pawn or we can continue to play an hope to god they don't just take our other castle from us.

In this scenario...winning is sometimes losing what you value most. We give Weber to the person who wants the most for him, bring in people who are more committed and sign them to long-term deals to make sure they stay committed. We use the pieces we gain and trade for more people to come in and sign other long-term deals. Mainly...we gotta get away from 2-3 year deals outside of our 3-4th liners. It would be better to keep our big guys LONG instead of just signing them with short-term deals and letting them walk.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Stranger

There are never any players.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Weber 'Still in disbelief that UFA Suter left Nashville

Old
07-05-2012, 03:48 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

That's funny, his friend and linemate was shocked but everyone here knew this and can't believe Poile didn't see it...

Old
07-05-2012, 03:55 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
Sad thing is...there's no more high-profile forwards to be had that anyone wants. Semin and Doan are the remaining forwards I would really put as "High-profile" Sykora? maybe. We could bring in offensive help but now we still have a monster gap on D we have to fill with either a trade or something else. Consider this like a game of chess. We've just lost our standing castle (Suter) and are reeling. We can sacrifice our other castle (Weber). For two castles and a pawn or we can continue to play an hope to god they don't just take our other castle from us.

In this scenario...winning is sometimes losing what you value most. We give Weber to the person who wants the most for him, bring in people who are more committed and sign them to long-term deals to make sure they stay committed. We use the pieces we gain and trade for more people to come in and sign other long-term deals. Mainly...we gotta get away from 2-3 year deals outside of our 3-4th liners. It would be better to keep our big guys LONG instead of just signing them with short-term deals and letting them walk.
What about Nash or Ryan?

They don't have to be free agents. We could get them via trade.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
That's funny, his friend and linemate was shocked but everyone here knew this and can't believe Poile didn't see it...
You're making way too much sense for these boards

Old
07-05-2012, 04:11 PM
pekkaslap

What would you expect Weber to say? "Yeah, I understand why Sutes left, this place sucks, I don't blame him for getting out". lol.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
What would you expect Weber to say? "Yeah, I understand why Sutes left, this place sucks, I don't blame him for getting out". lol.
Yes, he is purposely lying in an attempt to slander his team.

There are about a million other things he could say. This kind of response is very unusual.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
AEM6729

I'd be pretty upset to lose out at the chance to be half of what could've gone down as the best defensive pair in NHL history too. Like Poile said, that's such a missed opportunity. Hockey fans everywhere should be kinda sad about it.

Old
07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
What about Nash or Ryan?

They don't have to be free agents. We could get them via trade.
We don't have anything the Bjs want for Nash and Ryan might be able to be grabbed...but I have a feeling it would take Colin Wilson + Nick Spaling + Blum + pick and that would hurt considering our current D situation we'd still need to find a good D-man...

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Broom of the System

SK74 was our only RFA to file for arbitration. He did the same thing last year before agreeing on a one year $2.5 million deal prior to the hearing.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
NoNecksCurse

nashville has shown interest in semin.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:30 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres