HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-07-2012, 01:31 PM
ilikeblocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
I can tell you this much, if Doan does decide to leave Phoenix you're likely way off on the price tag. I'd wager plenty of teams would be happy to give him 5+.
Think Poile could lure him? Nashville is a great quality of life city, so I think we'd have a chance.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Think Poile could lure him? Nashville is a great quality of life city, so I think we'd have a chance.
I have no idea if Trotz and Poile could get him to come to Nashville, but I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't give it their best shot.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Doan is also very good friends with Mike Fisher; both are very fervent Christians. Need Fisher to pull a Parise and lure Doan on over.

He would be fantastic imo. Great size and strength on the puck.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:01 PM
WartracePred

Considering Trotz's comments to Doan during the handshake at the end of the playoff series, I'd say there is a high level of respect between the two.

If Doan wants to leave Phoenix, I'd wager he's our best shot at a top 6 forward. If Poile could somehow wrangle Doan and Ryan to Nashville, along with a serviceable minute eatng Dman to skate with Weber, I think we're a better team than last year.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:10 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

As long as Doan isn't given any official leadership capacity. He burned that bridge with his actions in the handshake line as far as I'm concerned.

And before anyone shoots back with comments about emotions and sticking up for a teammate, I don't care. There is a time and a place. There is something called rising above and being the better person. He picked the wrong time, the wrong place, and wasn't the better person.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:16 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
As long as Doan isn't given any official leadership capacity. He burned that bridge with his actions in the handshake line as far as I'm concerned.

And before anyone shoots back with comments about emotions and sticking up for a teammate, I don't care. There is a time and a place. There is something called rising above and being the better person. He picked the wrong time, the wrong place, and wasn't the better person.
I guess I missed the incident. What happened at the end of their series with LA? Something about Smith throwing his stick?? How was Doan involved in the controversy?

Old
07-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

What did Trotz say about Doan wrt the handshake incident? Missed that quote..

I don't think it's fair to judge too harshly because we don't really know what happened down there, unless I missed something.

Glad to see others warming up on the idea of Doan. Would be a great addition.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:54 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I was talking about the Kings/Yotes handshake line.

Brown threw that hit on Rozsival. Doan was still heated about it. He decided to voice his displeasure with Brown in the handshake line. I thought it was completely unnecessary, and still think it speaks volumes. Doan has thrown his fair share of questionable hits.

Old
07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I was talking about the Kings/Yotes handshake line.

Brown threw that hit on Rozsival. Doan was still heated about it. He decided to voice his displeasure with Brown in the handshake line. I thought it was completely unnecessary, and still think it speaks volumes. Doan has thrown his fair share of questionable hits.
While I agree what Doan did wasn't the right time or place, are you holding it against Weber for banging Zetterberg's head against the glass? Point being, there are lots of guys who do stupid things in the heat of the moment but do you look at one event or their body of work to determine their character? I would sure hope people didn't judge me like that and Doan's reputation up until that moment was pretty stellar. Just saying.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:05 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm just judging his leadership capacity. Weber's decision was stupid, but it was during the game. He also answered the bell at the beginning of the very next game. Doan completely disrespected a tradition that should supersede the game.

Good player. Good reputation outside of some questionable hits. I still don't like the way he handled adversity.

Old
07-07-2012, 05:18 PM
ilikeblocks

I'm not sure I see this as a negative for Doan. He's taking up for a teammate that might have had a career ending knee on knee injury 5 minutes ago.

Dustin Brown sure hasn't been the picture of "classy" when it comes to Stanley Cup winning captains.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:49 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I'm just judging his leadership capacity. Weber's decision was stupid, but it was during the game. He also answered the bell at the beginning of the very next game. Doan completely disrespected a tradition that should supersede the game.

Good player. Good reputation outside of some questionable hits. I still don't like the way he handled adversity.
Not to be nit picky but didn't Weber's happen after the end of the game as the final horn went?

I agree that Doan disrespected the tradition but many players have done or said something during their careers that has not been positive. While it wasn't the time or place, I think a guys reputation should be judged on the overall basis of his work as opposed to one stupid incident.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
What did Trotz say about Doan wrt the handshake incident? Missed that quote..

I don't think it's fair to judge too harshly because we don't really know what happened down there, unless I missed something.

Glad to see others warming up on the idea of Doan. Would be a great addition.
Doan and Trotz had a warm and fuzzy moment during their handshake. I think Trotz gave a more personal "great series... Best wishes" congratulations to Doan. I can't remember if glow revelation about the conversation came from Trotz or Doan, but the gist is there's a high measure of mutual respect between the two. I dismissed it at the time because I thought Doan would never leave the Yotes organization. Now that he's considering other teams, it bears more weight. All the being equal it is something that could become a tipping point.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
INDhockeyfan

Of the remaining UFA's I do think Doan is the one with most chance of coming here. He's 35 so he isn't going to be getting some ridiculous long term contract. Some teams would rather have younger guys then Doan. The Rangers are interested though so the question is would Doan rather go to a big market club or stay in a small market one. He has a family so his wife and kids will have a big say in where he goes. Would they want to move to NYC or would Nashville be a better fit for them. If the ownership issue is resolved though he is staying in Phoenix.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Legionnaire11

The only thing I wonder with Doan, if he's leaving the Yotes it's not just for a change of scenery, it's to win a cup. What would make him think that the Preds are the team to get him there? No premier center for him to play with and Suter is out of the picture.

Then again, are there really any teams out there that appear to be legit cup contenders? It's not like 10 years ago when there were 3-4 teams that you knew going into the season would be there at the end.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:11 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
The only thing I wonder with Doan, if he's leaving the Yotes it's not just for a change of scenery, it's to win a cup. What would make him think that the Preds are the team to get him there? No premier center for him to play with and Suter is out of the picture.

Then again, are there really any teams out there that appear to be legit cup contenders? It's not like 10 years ago when there were 3-4 teams that you knew going into the season would be there at the end.
Someone said the Kings will be heavy after Doan, and he'd be interested as it's pretty close to his home in Phoenix. Just something that's been kicking around the boards.

I still like Semin, as he's got home run potential, good bet to outproduce Doan. I like Doan's game though. Either one would look good in gold

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Actually, Doan isn't leaving Phoenix for a change of scenery at all, in fact, it has nothing to do with his desire to win a cup either. He would be more than happy to play the rest of his days in Phoenix, contender or not. The only reason he would leave is if he feels that Phoenix might be relocated. He doesn't want to get shipped to Northern Canada.

That being said, if he does leave, I'm sure he would prefer a contender somewhere close to Phoenix if possible. I'm pretty sure he owns a large ranch in Phoenix.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Legionnaire11

So where are we at now?

Everyone was saying that once Suter and Parise signed, all the other dominos would fall into place. Other than Carle, nothing has really happened. I'm going to assume we're at a point where most of the available players are over valuing themselves and it will be another week or two before some of these guys lower their contract demands?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
So where are we at now?

Everyone was saying that once Suter and Parise signed, all the other dominos would fall into place. Other than Carle, nothing has really happened. I'm going to assume we're at a point where most of the available players are over valuing themselves and it will be another week or two before some of these guys lower their contract demands?
or are considering playing in the KHL (Semin)

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
cleangene

Quote:
So where are we at now?

Waiting for this year's Bergfors.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Stranger

Poile is dipping his toes into that secondary trade market and then likely stepping back out when the teams ask for any of our assets.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:01 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Poile is dipping his toes into that secondary trade market and then likely stepping back out when the teams ask for any of our assets.
doubt it.

Poile has wads of money to spend, and knows for the morale of the fan base and franchise he needs to do something big.

I think now that the Suter/Parise dominoes have fallen, the next phase will be the Nash/Ryan trades.. the people who fail in those trades will then likely bid for a guy like Semin, and/or Doan if he is available

and any Weber trade may await the fallout of all those moves...

hope nobody is in a big hurry...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:17 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Not to be nit picky but didn't Weber's happen after the end of the game as the final horn went?

I agree that Doan disrespected the tradition but many players have done or said something during their careers that has not been positive. While it wasn't the time or place, I think a guys reputation should be judged on the overall basis of his work as opposed to one stupid incident.
Yes. Zetterberg boarded Weber with 2 seconds left in the game. Everybody forgets that for some reason! Weber became a head banger after the horn. Neither player should have attacked the other from behind.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
jmillz2613
Rookie User

whats the latest with the weber and bobby ryan talk ? and who is the best people to follow on twitter for nhl updates and preds updates

jmillz2613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

For whatever reason I just figure that Doan wouldn't come here. I don't know why, maybe I just see him going to a more established team since he's actually bothering to leave Phoenix. Maybe it's the "veteran wants to win a Cup and we don't carry much weight" thing. Who knows? I'd love to have him here I just don't see it. I really hope I'm wrong. Is interesting to hear the little tidbit about him and Trotz but i don't know how useful that is.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote