HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-11-2012, 12:41 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Since you're obviously in his office and know exactly what Poile is doing, what did he have for lunch today?
The same thing he's had since the 4th. Humble pie.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:53 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Since you're obviously in his office and know exactly what Poile is doing, what did he have for lunch today?
Nobody knows anything. In fact, he could be doing nothing. Or he could be burning up the phone lines.

What DP does or doesn't do with respect to trying to improve the team doesn't really matter. It's what he actually accomplishes.

He's had the helm for 13 years. He's built two good teams, blew one of them up (doesn't really matter why), and is on the verge of having to blow the other one up and start over again. This franchise's greatest achievement is getting beaten soundly in the 2nd round of the playoffs twice.

Considering that 9 franchises were added since 1990 - all but 3 have won either a cup, been to a cup final, or a conference final - the only 3 haven't are Winnepeg, Columbus and Nashville.

I'm not on the fire everyone bandwagon (yet), but I don't see how we can sit here and it be unthinkable that maybe, just maybe, the current regime isn't the one to get the job done here?

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Nobody knows anything. In fact, he could be doing nothing. Or he could be burning up the phone lines.

What DP does or doesn't do with respect to trying to improve the team doesn't really matter. It's what he actually accomplishes.

He's had the helm for 13 years. He's built two good teams, blew one of them up (doesn't really matter why), and is on the verge of having to blow the other one up and start over again. This franchise's greatest achievement is getting beaten soundly in the 2nd round of the playoffs twice.

Considering that 9 franchises were added since 1990 - all but 3 have won either a cup, been to a cup final, or a conference final - the only 3 haven't are Winnepeg, Columbus and Nashville.

I'm not on the fire everyone bandwagon (yet), but I don't see how we can sit here and it be unthinkable that maybe, just maybe, the current regime isn't the one to get the job done here?
beautifully put, i just bookmarked this post

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
hatedandproud

Come on Poile!! Damnit!!! It's already July 11th!!! Training camp starts in approximately 2 months!!! Make some moves before it's too late!!

Every year you sit on your hands and do nothing and this team goes nowhere!! well except the playoffs 7 of the last 8 seasons. You never use any assets!!! yeah I know you traded a 1st, 2 2nd round picks, a young prospect at the trade deadline, but make some moves!!

Time is running out!!!!

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
Come on Poile!! Damnit!!! It's already July 11th!!! Training camp starts in approximately 2 months!!! Make some moves before it's too late!!

Every year you sit on your hands and do nothing and this team goes nowhere!! well except the playoffs 7 of the last 8 seasons. You never use any assets!!! yeah I know you traded a 1st, 2 2nd round picks, a young prospect at the trade deadline, but make some moves!!

Time is running out!!!!
So honestly, you think Poile has done a good job this summer?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Firestorm

Try not trade for David Krejci?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:26 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

Good post. I know exactly what you're saying, and I do agree that there is reason to believe the current group isn't the one that we need to take us to the next level.

With that said, 101st was replying to what was pretty much a post full of hyperbole, and one that was presenting as fact things that Poile may or may not have been thinking, doing, counting on, etc. While it's perfectly valid to say that Poile and Co. need to be replaced if we ever want to see the Preds leap to the next level, it really isn't beneficial at all for someone to give their own speculation as what actually happened, or vent their frustrations in the form of an attack ad. That goes for any side to any debate. I think we can all agree on that, right?

Your first line is very much dead-on. No one knows anything that is going on except for those directly involved. Certainly no one who posts on this forum is directly involved. At least a few of us would know about it by now.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm in a Mock GM game on the boards, and got the Preds. Just traded Hornqvist+Blum for Eriksson.

Can this be real life?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'm in a Mock GM game on the boards, and got the Preds. Just traded Hornqvist+Blum for Eriksson.

Can this be real life?
We would need grit to replace Hornqvist at some point if we did that trade.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
We would need grit to replace Hornqvist at some point if we did that trade.
I also picked up Booth to do that. And, since we included the 2013 UFA class to make it more interesting, I signed Stephan Weiss.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:56 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So honestly, you think Poile has done a good job this summer?
How can anyone judge how he's done this summer? Free agency started 11 days ago!

Are we including the trade for the two second round picks and how he used those picks? I think he did a good job there.

I do believe Poile was misled by s^*$r and thought s(&%r would either sign here or that poile would get the chance to counter whatever offer s*&$r got. Because of that, Poile was effectively handcuffed.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

So, three of the final four teams to join the league haven't made a conference final or further? The one that did make that run (Minn) did so in year three and since then hasn't advanced past the first round ... making it to that level just twice in eight seasons. Florida with a Finals appearance in year three, with three first round exits in the next fifteen seasons. The team that eliminate us this season made it to the third round for the first time since joining the NHL in 1979. Minny made a big splash this summer ... but that's after two first round appearances in the past eight years. Columbus went big last summer, with nothing to show for it and the face of their franchise now wanting a trade out. Atlanta/Winnipeg still has one post season series in its history.

We all want to see the team make that next step. This summer the plan obviously included inking Suter and Weber to eat up a lot of that money we keep thinking will get spent. So far, it hasn't happened. Then again, since the Suter/Parise signing we've only seen Carle sign and a bunch of small deals ... still waiting on Doan, Semin on the open market and Martin, J-Bo on the trade front.

For all of the angst, Poile somehow keeps putting together competitive teams. Every summer we get the rants against him, how it's the worst summer ever, Poile is just sitting on his hands, etc ... yet come April we're looking at a team with a chance. As you said, none of us know what he is or isn't doing, but, he's maintained his bosses' faith for all of these years. They are the ones who know what he is and isn't doing. They are the ones approving the offers to players like Weber, Suter, Rinne, and Parise. Maybe Poile gets the perfect club assembled and the team takes it all this season ... maybe he never gets it done.

I shudder when picturing how we'd react if our team performed like the Islanders, Oilers, Jackets, Wild of the past six seasons, or Leafs. WE complain because our competitive team doesn't win a Cup while looking as though it just might have a chance to make a run. WE complain that our GM isn't making the moves we want while building a team that averages 98 points a season over the past eight. WE complain that it's taking too long to get where we want to be when there are how many teams with 20+ year Cup droughts? 30+? 40 or more? Patience is tough when assessing against hopes.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Legionnaire11

We're coming up on 15 years as a franchise... so what's the magical number when we can start holding the coach and GM accountable? when are we allowed to demand a winner instead of just being glad to be here? is it 20 years? 30? Because I missed the part in the handbook where it laid out a specific timeline for becoming a big boy fanbase.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
We're coming up on 15 years as a franchise... so what's the magical number when we can start holding the coach and GM accountable? when are we allowed to demand a winner instead of just being glad to be here? is it 20 years? 30? Because I missed the part in the handbook where it laid out a specific timeline for becoming a big boy fanbase.
If Poile had been allowed to continue on the trajectory we were on in 06-07 and we still only had two trips to the second round to show for it I'd say you could call him out. But poile had to effectively rebuild after 06-07. Last year was the first year we ever had a team that legitimately was a cup contender. The fact is if we had managed to beat phoenix then lost to eventual cup champ LA wed probably be talking about what a great year it was and what our expectations are for next year. The unexpected playoff loss and the suter betrayal make things seem a lot worse than they are...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Broom of the System

No Peter Mueller for the Preds.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:57 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I think some people are mistaking looking at how things transpire within the reality of the situation this franchise finds itself in with complacency. (did that make sense? it does to me)

I'd really like to know what some of you want poile to do and HOW he should do it. trade who for who, etc. I really would like to know where "you" are coming from. Because I can't, for the life of me, understand how some of you are calling this off-season a disappointment when it's only JULY 11th.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:58 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
if we had managed to beat phoenix then lost to eventual cup champ LA wed probably be talking about what a great year it was and what our expectations are for next year. The unexpected playoff loss and the suter betrayal make things seem a lot worse than they are...
Phoenix kicked our *****. It wasn't even close. So if ifs and buts were cherries and nuts....

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:00 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Maybe Poile should have thrown the suter contract at him ...

this isn't a shot at you broom, it's for the inevitable "See poile sat on his hands again" poster.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:17 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Phoenix kicked our *****. It wasn't even close. So if ifs and buts were cherries and nuts....
Two two goal games (one won by the Preds) and three one goal games (one in OT) means the Preds got their ***** kicked?

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:31 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Two two goal games (one won by the Preds) and three one goal games (one in OT) means the Preds got their ***** kicked?
We lost 4 out of 5 games. To me, that's an arse-kicking.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:46 PM
cleangene

I somehow thought there was a "Plan B" mentioned when the countdown was underway until decision day arrived, if the answer from Farm Boy was no. If I did hear that correctly, did it include this absolutely nothing that we've seen a week since that decision was announced?

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
I think some people are mistaking looking at how things transpire within the reality of the situation this franchise finds itself in with complacency. (did that make sense? it does to me)

I'd really like to know what some of you want poile to do and HOW he should do it. trade who for who, etc. I really would like to know where "you" are coming from. Because I can't, for the life of me, understand how some of you are calling this off-season a disappointment when it's only JULY 11th.
Because we've lost Suter and have not signed Weber. And like I said more and more signs are pointing to Poile not being able to close the deal. I'd love for him to change that and prove me wrong.

I always hate the arguement "what should he have done", we don't make millions a year to run a hockey team, Poile does, he better have answers that we don't.

What I want him to do is stop being the runner up and land a damn good player that makes our team better.

I'd love for him to address our offensive needs and to make our team more exciting.

I'd love for him to get Weber locked up long term.

These are the things that he needs to do if he's the GM we make him out to be. A good salesman doesn't take no for answer, time for Poile to sale the franchise to some free agents.

It's not like other teams haven't been filling needs.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Less than $2M *snort* great work there. Could've been a guy we could've used once Weber is traded and we need to get to the floor.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:31 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I somehow thought there was a "Plan B" mentioned when the countdown was underway until decision day arrived, if the answer from Farm Boy was no. If I did hear that correctly, did it include this absolutely nothing that we've seen a week since that decision was announced?
Funny, I was actually wondering this today as well. I remember either seeing or hearing Poile say something about having a Plan B in case Suter didn't sign with us. Where the hell is this Plan B?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:50 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Funny, I was actually wondering this today as well. I remember either seeing or hearing Poile say something about having a Plan B in case Suter didn't sign with us. Where the hell is this Plan B?
Plan B - Calling up Jon Blum and telling him he's made the team.

Offseason done!