HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth agrees to 2 year deal with Oilers. $2.25 per year (July, 2012)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Tommy35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
He has to bring it every game and every shift. He was awful (and/or invisible) last season at the start of the season in the AHL. He played so bad he did not even deserve top 6 minutes in the AHL. He ended being a healthy scratch a few times. When he brings it, high energy every shift and consistently stays physical he can be very effective. It is up to him really.
So your saying Smyth's style, pretending he can still be effective while actually looking silly out there at times is a better option, for the future of the franchise, which is our plan

Old
07-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
So your saying Smyth's style, pretending he can still be effective while actually looking silly out there at times is a better option, for the future of the franchise, which is our plan
I honestly don't know if Smyth is or isn't a better option than Hartikainen...but...your right...Smyth did look pretty bad at times last year.

Thing is...Hartikainens' skating didn't endear me much either.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I honestly don't know if Smyth is or isn't a better option than Hartikainen...but...your right...Smyth did look pretty bad at times last year.

Thing is...Hartikainens' skating didn't endear me much either.

I agree, but he is young and still has the opportunity to improve in that aspect, he has to put his head into it and by all fairness, giving a fair shake by the team. Question is , Is Smyth's skating any better?

Old
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
[/B]

I agree, but he is young and still has the opportunity to improve in that aspect, he has to put his head into it and by all fairness, giving a fair shake by the team. My question is , Is Smyth's skating any better?
No, not really.

Thing is...Smyth has proven he can produce some scoring without great skating. Its been this way throughout his career and thats not going to change next year.

With Harty...the role he is required to play puts a premium on skating and if he needs to work on it...the AHL is the place for him.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

Pretty good deal. Exactly the amount I expected we'd be paying him.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDreidelz View Post
I wouldn't call 46 points washed up... the guy played a full NHL season at 36 years old. But you probably consider Ray Whitney washed up to right?
How many pts did he get in the first 1/2 of the season vs the last half of the season?

Old
07-01-2012, 09:24 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Good deal for (still) a good player. He's had his big payday; he just wants to play at home and keep his family rooted now. And good on him for doing that.

As for all the fretting about room for MPS--come on, let's get real: He needs to start in the AHL next year, and be there for a good 1/2 a season or longer. He was hardly impressive in his time there last year, and he still needs to improve to be considered anywhere near a legit top 6 NHL player--or even a top 9, IMO.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:25 PM
AM

Im happy about the deal.

Hopefully the ghost of Smyth drama past can be laid to rest now.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Good deal for (still) a good player. He's had his big payday; he just wants to play at home and keep his family rooted now. And good on him for doing that.

As for all the fretting about room for MPS--come on, let's get real: He needs to start in the AHL next year, and be there for a good 1/2 a season or longer. He was hardly impressive in his time there last year, and he still needs to improve to be considered anywhere near a legit top 6 NHL player--or even a top 9, IMO.
I think its early to ticket Magnus for the AHL. He was strong through AHL playoffs and he did have a very good rookie season 2 years ago.

A couple pucks go in for him in the pre-season and he might latch onto a breakout season.

And even if he doesn't....I think his defensive game is as good as any LWer we've got already.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:44 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It's a year and a half too long, awful awful deal for the team. Seriously, 2 years for this guy, wow. Nothing beats a "favour" contract.

Ugh with this, such a bad deal.
For someone who will go to bat for Horc at a moment's notice, its a wonder you are so hard on Smyth.

Used properly, Smyth is still an extremely useful player. That would be particularly true on a team lacking in decent veteran forwards.
And notice I said "decent", which as SK13 pointed out is about what $2 million buys you in the NHL these days.

I hope Smyth really focuses on pacing himself more this season and as someone else pointed out, maybe cuts back on the weak penalties as well.
Solid signing by Tamby.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
I think its early to ticket Magnus for the AHL. He was strong through AHL playoffs and he did have a very good rookie season 2 years ago.

A couple pucks go in for him in the pre-season and he might latch onto a breakout season.

And even if he doesn't....I think his defensive game is as good as any LWer we've got already.
I agree, and hope MPS can make the team. Last year averagin 13 min a game on the 3rd and 4th line, and very low PP time.

If you look back at his rookie season, he really heated up in the second half of the season, when Hall was injured and he was in the top 6. Something like 5 goals and 3 assists in the last 12 games, which is comparable to this whole last season.

If you put him on a line with Nuge and Yakupov, how bad could it be?

Old
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
I agree, and hope MPS can make the team. Last year averagin 13 min a game on the 3rd and 4th line, and very low PP time.

If you look back at his rookie season, he really heated up in the second half of the season, when Hall was injured and he was in the top 6. Something like 5 goals and 3 assists in the last 12 games, which is comparable to this whole last season.

If you put him on a line with Nuge and Yakupov, how bad could it be?
I said this when he was originally sent down & I will say it again now:

The fact he wasn't scoring was a secondary concern.

To stay in this line-up he needs to finish some hits and grind on the puck.

When he does that...he will not only be useful when he isn't scoring...he will find himself in fewer slumps.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:02 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
I said this when he was originally sent down & I will say it again now:

The fact he wasn't scoring was a secondary concern.

To stay in this line-up he needs to finish some hits and grind on the puck.

When he does that...he will not only be useful when he isn't scoring...he will find himself in fewer slumps.
I agree totally, and I think we need to see if Kreuger can get that out of him

renney had everyone playing soft, and when anyone showed their teeth he benched them. Kreuger used some pushback when he was behind the bench, I think if anyone can motivate Maggie to play bogger, he can.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

Right now:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi/Hartikainen
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Petrell

We don't "have" to trade anyone, but it's a potentially soft forward group. I wouldn't mind adding a bigger body. Jones could even be moved out IMO. I like him, but he's fairly redundent and replacable.
Say what? I agree with the problem as you identify it in the underlined sentence.
But then why move out the only physical guy who played a regular shift last season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
I'd be more concerned if I was Gagner and I heard the new coach say he wanted to try Hall at center. I think they are penciling MPS in. Sam is probably pretty worried and/or resigned to the idea that he'll be moved.
Doubtful. The competition at wing is much more intense than the competition at center.
Its one of the main weaknesses of the team.

No way the bolded is accurate. MPS starts in the AHL.

Last edited by harpoon: 07-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old
07-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Perfect_Drug

He probably was inquired about for somewhere between league minimum, and $1.5million based on his performance last season, before caving in to the Oilers original offer.

:/

Old
07-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Ranfordrocks

so if he returns to form and scores 30 goals again then this signing will look good

Old
07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
so if he returns to form and scores 30 goals again then this signing will look good
No. If he plays solid, third line minutes, scores 15-20 goals and provides the Oilers with positive leadership and PK time then the Oilers got +++++ value for their dollars.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
yep it would

but if he plays like he did in the second half

Old
07-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Do you guys seriously have 30 goals as a necessary benchmark for Ryan Smyth @ 2.26 million per at this stage in his career?

Old
07-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
How many pts did he get in the first 1/2 of the season vs the last half of the season?
37GP 14G 16A 30PTS

45GP 5G 11A 16PTS

Not exactly split in the middle, but you get the idea. One thing to consider is his sh% took a major dive in the 2nd half of the year. I think this whole article should interest you considering your inquiry.

http://oilersnation.com/2012/6/30/waiting-on-ryan-smyth

Old
07-01-2012, 11:26 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
There were only 30 forwards that scored 30+ goals last season.

If you look at last season and rank all the forwards by numbers of goals scored... a proxy for 3rd liners would be those forwards ranked from 181st-270th in goals scored. That range was 7-14 goals. The total points range for that group was from 17-32 points.

So if Smyth basically plays all of next year at the same pace he played in the 2nd half he'll be a decent 3rd liner in terms of offensive output.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 07-01-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old
07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I would suggest to you that his season was all about how he was utilized. Less minutes 5x5 and on the PK will have an impact on how Ryan closes out the season.

He is still a useful player if his ice time is manged properly.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:25 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Well, he cut his salary considerably. I can now officially respect Ryan Smyth again even if he continues to play the game without any physical edge or passion.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:32 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I would suggest to you that his season was all about how he was utilized. Less minutes 5x5 and on the PK will have an impact on how Ryan closes out the season.

He is still a useful player if his ice time is manged properly.
the klids will only get more icetime not less and if MPS can step it up..

but I do like the contract-- perfect for a guy who in theory could be on the third line all year

Old
07-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Well, he cut his salary considerably. I can now officially respect Ryan Smyth again even if he continues to play the game without any physical edge or passion.
Well that is because he was not worthy of his salary in the first place.
He should have played for league minimum because EDM had to pay him 6M+ last year for 2.5 months of good hockey.

His new contract is no favor to EDM.. its his market value based on his age and declining performance of late.

IMO its a year too long and $500K too much... anyways.. welcome back Smytty..

Closed Thread