HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 08:34 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 500
Ive actually always been high on Cole. I use to watch him in college. Its kind of funny hes seen as more of a defensive defenseman now. He use to be a huge part of their power play. His skating was on another level compared to most college players

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Carle is waiting for Suter to sign. Someone is going to give him Wideman money when they lose out on Suter.

Looks like it will be a trade or Cole. D'Agostini and picks/prospects for kind of a cap dump is the only deal that I see that is actually realistic.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Carle is waiting for Suter to sign. Someone is going to give him Wideman money when they lose out on Suter.

Looks like it will be a trade or Cole. D'Agostini and picks/prospects for kind of a cap dump is the only deal that I see that is actually realistic.
Please don't let that be us.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:59 PM
pricer502

Canucks sign Garrison to 6 years 27.6

pricer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:02 PM
pricer502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricer502 View Post
Canucks sign Garrison to 6 years 27.6
Sorry didn't see this was already said

pricer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Harley83

I know the Nucks have high hopes of him playing alongside Bieksa and putting up big numbers with his rocket shot but with only three seasons in the NHL and only one thirty point season, I honestly think the amount and length Garrison was asking for was way too high and risky.

Side Note: Vern Fiddler did an awesome Bieksa impression this year.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:26 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
I'd rather us do what Detroit did last season. Detroit saved as much cap space as possible to go big this summer. I think we should save as much real money as possible to go big next summer.

A penny saved today, is a nickel we can spend tomorrow. Ok, not tomorrow, but next summer.

Let the Garrison/Carle/Top 4 money earn interest, and make our move next summer. Cole will be good enough and maybe he is the player we are looking for anyway.
The Blues are not going to "go big". Not next year. With raises due to Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Berglund, Stewart, etc., it's not going to happen. The Blues aren't going to give out huge contracts to superstars.

I don't know why you guys are even freaking out. There's still options left, and Armstrong isn't one to overpay for anyone...the Blues will find an option and they'll be fine.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:42 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Stewart isn't "due" a raise next year.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Stewart isn't "due" a raise next year.
Ok, nice nit-picking. He will be an RFA and unless he has another piss-poor season I doubt his salary will be going down...So go ahead and keep thinking otherwise.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:59 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Ok, nice nit-picking. He will be an RFA and unless he has another piss-poor season I doubt his salary will be going down...So go ahead and keep thinking otherwise.
It isn't nit picking. You're just assuming he's going to show he can put up numbers in Hitchcock's system. That's not something anyone can assume until we see it. Even if he puts up 40 points I wouldn't give him a raise. He has to put up a major rebound for a raise.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
It isn't nit picking. You're just assuming he's going to show he can put up numbers in Hitchcock's system. That's not something anyone can assume until we see it. Even if he puts up 40 points I wouldn't give him a raise. He has to put up a major rebound for a raise.

15 goals / 15 assists as the 3rd line RW.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:04 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
It is nitpicking. I doubt his salary goes down, and the point overall is that he will need a new contract either way. The Blues are going to have a lot of money tied up in their own players. You're trying too hard, and failing.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
It is nitpicking. I doubt his salary goes down, and the point overall is that he will need a new contract either way. The Blues are going to have a lot of money tied up in their own players. You're trying too hard, and failing.
I'm trying too hard, and failing? At what? Pointing out that he'll have to put up bigger numbers to expect a raise? You keep saying you doubt his salary will go down. Do you know the difference between not being "due a raise" and salary going "down?"

Old
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
I'm trying too hard, and failing? At what? Pointing out that he'll have to put up bigger numbers to expect a raise? You keep saying you doubt his salary will go down. Do you know the difference between not being "due a raise" and salary going "down?"
Stewart's salary will be increasing as long as he doesn't repeat last season, I've already made that clear. You can be foolish and not believe that if you want though.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Let's not escalate this any further. What might happen with Stewart next offseason is certainly worthy of discussion, but this particular aspect of that topic is a fairly irrelevant sidenote to the greater point the original post was making.

If the Blues sign a big contract this offseason, it will almost certainly will affect what happens next offseason regardless of what ends up happening with Stewart. If that's going to happen, it better be for a guy that's worth it.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Stewart's salary will be increasing as long as he doesn't repeat last season, I've already made that clear. You can be foolish and not believe that if you want though.
You can "make that clear" all you want, he'll need a significant improvement to get a raise. He isn't a two-way player and 40 points isn't going to get him a raise nor should it. 40 points would not be repeating last season, but it wouldn't be a raise.

Pietrangelo will get a huge raise. Shattenkirk will get a raise, and this next year will determine what kind of raise. If it's similar to this year then it's probably in the 3-4M range but not higher. If his D improves and he looks good in the playoffs then it might go up more.

Berglund's very modest raise will likely put him in the low 3s but again, we have to see what kind of year he has. Stewart has a lot to prove before we can say he's due a raise. I think it's more likely than not that he doesn't put up a raise-worthy year. It's not impossible but I wouldn't say a raise is probable.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Am glad that the Blues prioritized Garrison even though they couldn't overcome the hometown pull of Vancouver. Armstrong is talking about being "selective" and having into the fall and into the season to get the right guy via trade. Kudos.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Harley83

St. Louis will do anything to keep our golden boy Petro that's for sure.

Shatty will stay with a good pay increase. Everything is good about him focus, attitude and skill.

Even though Berglund didn't have the greatest season with numbers he showed up in the playoffs. He's gonna want bigger money with his next contract and I could even see him being used a trade piece.

Stewart will get a good raise if his play is equal to when he first came on in St. Louis from Colorado. I think Stewart has tons of potential, with that being said I don't know how he will fit in in the long run especially if he has a bad season again. He's not the kind of guy who wants to be playing on the third line for his career and other teams will offer him a larger role and money and how St. Louis deals with that will probably decide his fate in St. Louis.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:05 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
The Blues are not going to "go big". Not next year. With raises due to Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Berglund, Stewart, etc., it's not going to happen. The Blues aren't going to give out huge contracts to superstars.

I don't know why you guys are even freaking out. There's still options left, and Armstrong isn't one to overpay for anyone...the Blues will find an option and they'll be fine.
Ok, big for me is signing all of those players and adding another player to the mix through a trade or free agency.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:47 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
So glad we didn't go after Souray.
yeah, me as well thank goodness

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:50 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Am glad that the Blues prioritized Garrison even though they couldn't overcome the hometown pull of Vancouver. Armstrong is talking about being "selective" and having into the fall and into the season to get the right guy via trade. Kudos.
when I awoke this evening to see Garrison sign with Vancouver, Meh... I belive the 'nucks were the frontrunners all along. Oh well, move on.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:06 AM
h22prelude93

Not surprised one bit about Garrison. Based on his comments I figured if Florida didn't lock him up that he'd sign with Vancouver. TBH I wasn't very high on him, and I really don't think he deserves that kind of contract but maybe he'll prove me wrong. I also think he's injury prone based on his leg injuries in college and missing time this season and during playoffs with an undisclosed "lower-body" injury. I'm probably pretty alone on this, but I'm actually glad the Blues didn't sign him.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:35 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Not surprised one bit about Garrison. Based on his comments I figured if Florida didn't lock him up that he'd sign with Vancouver. TBH I wasn't very high on him, and I really don't think he deserves that kind of contract but maybe he'll prove me wrong. I also think he's injury prone based on his leg injuries in college and missing time this season and during playoffs with an undisclosed "lower-body" injury. I'm probably pretty alone on this, but I'm actually glad the Blues didn't sign him.
For all we know Garrison may very well turn out to be another bum on Vancouver's roster, Keith Ballard

Old
07-02-2012, 05:28 AM
execwrite

This year is starting to prove once again that the worst way to build a championship team is by overpaying free agents.

Good job Doug.

execwrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Alklha

On the Stewart argument, I've said before that I really struggle to see where he fits long term.

He will be back next season and if he has another year like the one he just had then there is no doubt he'll be gone. However, even if he puts up 30+ goals will that be enough? With the raises due to Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Berglund and maybe Cole and Russell added to the fact we have organizational depth at RW... I just think he'll be the odd one out even in that situation. I've heard the fact that he is a big body and something different, but it isn't as though Oshie plays small, and although we haven't seen Tarasenko in the NHL I don't see an indication that he'll be playing small either.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote