HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
It sucks too because the Blues are so close to winning the cup. A couple players away.
A familiar feel, no? Like slipping on an old pair of blue jeans.

This time the Blues have goaltending though.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
The Blues are in great shape regardless if they sign any FA's. The Tank coming is like the Blues signing the best FA on the market. The future is bright.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:32 PM
letmesleep

vCash: 500
The more I read the previous page, the more I'm sold on Yandle being a good fit.

I initially thought that we should find a big defensive defenseman so Pie could do his thing. However, having two stellar puck movers for the top pairing makes sense for this team. Obviously, our system functions best when you have a good transition game. However, when Pietrangelo is on the ice, other teams can dial in on him. Having a great puck mover paired with him forces the other team to respect BOTH defenseman, giving Pie more room. Playing those two together should send both of their assist counts sky high. Also, if one of them is injured and another defenseman needs to step up, that pairings ability to move the puck will still be much better than average.

Our forwards play so much defense that they need all the help they can get on offense from our D squad. Pie and Yandle are both pretty good in their own end anyway, they don't particularly need a defensive defenseman to take care of them. Pie did just fine with Cola and he was nothing special.

The only thing I'm scared about with Yandle is what it takes to get him.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:35 PM
letmesleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
The Blues are in great shape regardless if they sign any FA's. The Tank coming is like the Blues signing the best FA on the market. The future is bright.
It's a huge bonus but we're not the only team in the league with some good rookies coming in. Honestly, I'm going to be a little uncomfortable until we sign another center. I think Steen will probably make a great center but I won't be comfortable with it until a see it.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:40 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Yandle's an All-Star defenseman. Guys like Perron and Oshie are very good players but they aren't quite on that level. Oshie + 1st is about the right value. Perron + Rattie + 1st. But then you have your second defensive All-Star anchor. And if you're doing offense by committee you can add wingers more easily.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
sdaltons

please please please don't let it be Salvador. saw a few tweets yesterday that we would be a fit for him. we would not.

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
stlweir

Yandle doesn't hit anyone either. A good portion of his production is on the PP. I wonder how he would eat into Shattenkirks ice time on the and production on the PP? Certainly an all star.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Yandle doesn't hit anyone either. A good portion of his production is on the PP. I wonder how he would eat into Shattenkirks ice time on the and production on the PP? Certainly an all star.
It just allows Shatty to go to the second unit. Not a bad thing at all to have a guy on both units who can get their shots through the massive maze of bodies to the net.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Alklha

Should we be worried about an offersheet to Oshie? Having looked at the compensation required, I wouldn't be surprised.

$1,110,249-$1,682,194 - 3rd
$1,682,194-$3,364,391 - 2nd
$3,364,391-$5,046,585 - 1st, 3rd
$5,046,585-$6,728,781 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd
$6,728,781-$8,410,976 - Two 1st's, 2nd, 3rd
$8,410,976+ - Four 1st's

Edit: Not saying that we won't match, but if we are trying to get the best possible contract with Oshie, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that someone comes along and offers 5y/$25m when you look at what is getting thrown around in FA.

Last edited by Alklha: 07-03-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:24 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I would be surprised. Consider that offer sheets are a big thing for the players. Anything that gets players more money by creating bidding is good for the players association in their bargaining. This is why particularly in a CBA year I doubt we are likely to see any sheets, maybe one around the entire league. In fact there have only been something like six offer sheets since the lockout and two were the Backes/Bernier thing. The only one that wasn't matched was the Penner one, and for good reason. I would be really surprised, as Armstrong has basically said the Blues intend to match offers, and it's not like other teams need to knock the Blues out of the box for other free agent bidding strategically.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Linus

Quote:
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

While the Blues are in the market for a Dman, I'm told they also want a top-6 forward. Both could come via trade if free agency fails.
Thoughts? I'm not sure why the Blues would want another top 6 forward, with the spots crowded already and Tarasenko/Schwartz being options as well. Unless this has something to do with getting another top 6 forward in addition to trading some forward pieces for a defenseman.

The way it's worded makes it sound like they still have options out there in FA, but who could it honestly be? Not Parise, and I doubt they're interested in Jagr. Who else is a top 6 forward that's still available? My guess is that if they do acquire a defenseman and/or top 6 forward, it's through trade.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I would be surprised. Consider that offer sheets are a big thing for the players. Anything that gets players more money by creating bidding is good for the players association in their bargaining. This is why particularly in a CBA year I doubt we are likely to see any sheets, maybe one around the entire league. In fact there have only been something like six offer sheets since the lockout and two were the Backes/Bernier thing. The only one that wasn't matched was the Penner one, and for good reason. I would be really surprised, as Armstrong has basically said the Blues intend to match offers, and it's not like other teams need to knock the Blues out of the box for other free agent bidding strategically.
That is a fair point about the CBA.

It is true that offersheets are rarer than is sometimes implied by how often they are talked about, but is that always going to be the case going forward? I mean, more players are getting locked up long term and the cap is in a position where a lot of teams looking to improve have a lot of space and not many good targets to go around. The Wild, Sabres and Hurricanes are examples this summer of teams looking to add significantly, and they might all miss out on their primary targets.

For example, if we are trying to get a 5 year deal with Oshie, and the Wild come along and offer a 2y/$5m per deal then that is a little bit awkward. If we don't match they only lose a first and third, and if we do match then he'll be a UFA in 2 years.

I don't think it is going to be applicable to every RFA, but I think Oshie is one of those players that would attract interest.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:38 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Thoughts? I'm not sure why the Blues would want another top 6 forward, with the spots crowded already and Tarasenko/Schwartz being options as well. Unless this has something to do with getting another top 6 forward in addition to trading some forward pieces for a defenseman.

The way it's worded makes it sound like they still have options out there in FA, but who could it honestly be? Not Parise, and I doubt they're interested in Jagr. Who else is a top 6 forward that's still available? My guess is that if they do acquire a defenseman and/or top 6 forward, it's through trade.
Bold would be my guess. If they signed Doan, it's easier to trade Perron or Steen in a deal for a dman. Maybe Steen would be involved in an Enstrom trade with Winnipeg, for example. If Doan leaves Phoenix, Phoenix will be hurting for wingers and loaded on D.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

Ideally we need a 2nd line C, so we can basically roll 3 lines each with a good 2nd line calibre C. It might be that is the forward he is talking about, or it might be that we are planning to move Steen/Oshie/whoever to C and we are looking for his replacement on wing.

If the latter is the case, then I'd imagine it is Doan we are targeting.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
That is a fair point about the CBA.

It is true that offersheets are rarer than is sometimes implied by how often they are talked about, but is that always going to be the case going forward? I mean, more players are getting locked up long term and the cap is in a position where a lot of teams looking to improve have a lot of space and not many good targets to go around. The Wild, Sabres and Hurricanes are examples this summer of teams looking to add significantly, and they might all miss out on their primary targets.

For example, if we are trying to get a 5 year deal with Oshie, and the Wild come along and offer a 2y/$5m per deal then that is a little bit awkward. If we don't match they only lose a first and third, and if we do match then he'll be a UFA in 2 years.

I don't think it is going to be applicable to every RFA, but I think Oshie is one of those players that would attract interest.
I think Oshie is unlikely to sign a 2yr/5M per deal. Keep in mind it works both ways, the acquiring team would risk losing him in two years to UFA. If you're that team the better strategy is to front load a contract and give it enough term to entice the player. Armstrong would probably be pissed and match the deal but look to trade Oshie before a guy like Perron in any event.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Salvador and EJ re-upped with their respective teams

Old
07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Biggest problem if Oshie DID receive an offer sheet is that the Blues would probably match it, but then he wouldn't be eligible for trade (someone that knows this better can correct me) for a period of time (the regular season maybe) and is likely to be the main piece they'd move for Yandle.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:32 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

$3.75 million per year for EJ?
he really didn`t pan out at all but from what I`ve read they still see the cornerstone of their defense in him...not much money for such a "cornerstone"

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

the 4th period isn`t very reliable, is it?!?
others than Doan and Parise (what won`t happen of course) I don`t see any top-6 guys out there who would be good fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Biggest problem if Oshie DID receive an offer sheet is that the Blues would probably match it, but then he wouldn't be eligible for trade (someone that knows this better can correct me) for a period of time (the regular season maybe) and is likely to be the main piece they'd move for Yandle.
I know hat you mean but keeping Oshie isn`t a problem at all and I think trading for Yandle is too expensive anyway

its not necessary to talk about gone possibilities but I would have prefered to overpay for Garrison (lets say Yandles 5.25milx5yrs) than trading away one of our best young players, not to forget a heart-and-soul player who loves St. Louis, +++

Old
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Salvador and EJ re-upped with their respective teams
I can see P9s taking another deep breath

glad he is signed too, he is the guy who was linked to us who I really would NOT want in St. Louis

Old
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Don't get me wrong. I like Salvador and liked him on the Blues and deplored the Janssen trade as idiotic then, idiotic now. But Salvador is 36. I would have put him on my list above signing Kuba because he'd have been a little cheaper and both are kind of old/bridge options. What I don't like about Carle is that he's definitely not the right guy (we'd really be down on him as the highest paid Blue who's really a #4 non physical avg at best defensive dman) but his term would've been longer than Kuba or Salvador. Neither Kuba nor Salvador is the right top pairing guy but at least they don't strangle flexibility like Bouwmeester would.

Garrison would have been far and away the best idea and it's why I urged the option so forcefully for so long. It's clear the Blues saw him as a viable solution and made a pitch (of course they'd rather have Garrison, Oshie and a 1st as opposed to Yandle) but it turned out there was nothing that could be done – hometown was too tempting.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
the 4th period isn`t very reliable, is it?!?
others than Doan and Parise (what won`t happen of course) I don`t see any top-6 guys out there who would be good fits

I know hat you mean but keeping Oshie isn`t a problem at all and I think trading for Yandle is too expensive anyway

its not necessary to talk about gone possibilities but I would have prefered to overpay for Garrison (lets say Yandles 5.25milx5yrs) than trading away one of our best young players, not to forget a heart-and-soul player who loves St. Louis, +++
More flexibility is better than less flexibility.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

The only reason I'd be opposed to trading Oshie for Yandle is that leaves a lot of question marks on the right side.

Can Stewart bounce back?

Can Tarasenko be counted on in a top 6 role immediately?

How much will we get out of D'Agostini?

Will David Perron's affinity for white skates be able to make up the loss in the hearts of the female portion of St. Louis' fan base?

Lot of questions to be answered if Oshie is moved.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I don't want to trade Oshie, but I want to win a Cup more than I want to keep him. Getting Yandle would give the Blues an elite defensive pairing (maybe THE elite defensive pairing in the league....hard to come up with a better one) if he's skating with Pietro.

The Blues have the depth at forward to be able to lose one, even a 1st line guy with a tremendous 2-way game like Oshie, and still create effective lines that don't really drop off. Yes, its counting on Tarasenko to get up to speed quickly, but you have to realize he's been playing against grown men for several years already. And I think Perron is poised to be a PPG guy if he stays healthy, gets in a full off-season and training camp.

If there is another package that gets Yandle, then great. But I think its going to be a painful price, yet worth it in the long run.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Harley83

Well now that the Blues won the Jeff Woywitka sweepstakes now all we gotta do is lasso Tyson Strachan again and we can start pouring the champagne in the cup.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote