HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Perron signed a 4 year deal, cap hit of 3.8!!!!!!!
That's really the commitment I was hoping they would give to Perron. He's coming off a very major injury, but he has proven himself many times. I'm glad they didn't give him a prove it deal. He proved it last year after he came back. I don't think he missed another game and performed above expectations. 3.8 for 4 years is a very good contract for both the player and the organization. It's enough money to keep him satisfied, but it's not binding the organization financially. Again, Armstrong is the best in the business.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Remember last year when Oshie had to make sure he made just a tad more than Berglund? Berglund's 2-yr cap avg is 2.25M and Oshie waited later until he got 2.35M. I think Oshie will get just a tad more than Perron now – 4yr 4M avg.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
simon in canada

vCash: 500
Just out of curiosity, does Perron become a UFA at the end of this contract?

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
Just out of curiosity, does Perron become a UFA at the end of this contract?
Yeah, he'll be an UFA and is probably a reason behind it being a 4 year deal. A 2 year deal would also have seen him being an UFA at the end of it, so that is probably why it is 4 and not 2 or 3.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:52 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Right, and same with Oshie – also UFA in two years unless some of those years are bought in the next deal.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
According to Strick, we went hard after Carle. I guess management has a much higher opinion of him than us fans do.
Your conclusion fails based on the highlighted portion of the first sentence.

I believe nothing that Strickland says until it's reported by an actual journalist.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Perron signed a 4 year deal, cap hit of 3.8!!!!!!!
Here's the link.

And the breakdown. $3 million in 2012-13, $3.5 million in 2013-14, $4.25 in 2014-15 and $4.5 million in 2015-16.

I'm surprised and happy. Thought they were going to way for him to get through next year healthy before committing long-term.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Stang

Darren R Pang
RT @RenLavoieRDS: Ex-Wings Andrew Murray is now with the Blues organisation. One year contract / $600 000 (2 way)
just now from HootSuite

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
BlueDream

When I saw "ex-Red Wing" I was confused but forgot he was involved in the Brad Stuart deal. Former Shark and Blue Jacket mainly. Decent depth signing I suppose. Wonder if Langenbrunner is still in the picture.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:10 PM
koolaid3246

Oshie going to arbitration now? I saw it tonight scrolling at the bottom of the screen on nhl network before heading to bed that the nhlpa announced 15 players were going to arbitration and oshie was listed. Anyone read this anywhere else?

koolaid3246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid3246 View Post
Oshie going to arbitration now? I saw it tonight scrolling at the bottom of the screen on nhl network before heading to bed that the nhlpa announced 15 players were going to arbitration and oshie was listed. Anyone read this anywhere else?
Yeah...

http://nhlpa.com/news/headlines/deta...ry-arbitration

Perron elected for arbitration as well, but then signed shortly after the announcement.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:05 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I really hope they agree on something before this has to go to arbitration. If they give him a 2 year contract, I believe he is a UFA at the end(not positive). I don't want to Blues to have to get in a bidding war for T.J Oshie because I'm sure there are many teams that would love to have him. Hopefully they get something in the 4-6 year range with about a 4 mil/year salary. I'd even go 4.5 average if it would get him to sign long term. He brings in a ton of revenue and is a great player. Doesn't get much better than that.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Darren R Pang
RT @RenLavoieRDS: Ex-Wings Andrew Murray is now with the Blues organisation. One year contract / $600 000 (2 way)
just now from HootSuite
Isn't he Andy Murray's son?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Terrorsenko

I know its old, but a nice little article on Andrew Murray...

http://thehockeywriters.com/overlook...andrew-murray/

Seems Hitch speaks highly of him.

Terrorsenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Isn't he Andy Murray's son?
That would be Brady Murray.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
BleedBlue42

Has there been any recent word on who the Blues might go for in a trade?

BleedBlue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:51 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I really hope they agree on something before this has to go to arbitration. If they give him a 2 year contract, I believe he is a UFA at the end(not positive). I don't want to Blues to have to get in a bidding war for T.J Oshie because I'm sure there are many teams that would love to have him. Hopefully they get something in the 4-6 year range with about a 4 mil/year salary. I'd even go 4.5 average if it would get him to sign long term. He brings in a ton of revenue and is a great player. Doesn't get much better than that.
I think Oshie will get at least a 4 year deal somewhere between 4/5 mil salary. By going to arbitration, no one can sign Oshie to a offer sheet also.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:21 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I understand that he will be in a Blues uniform for at least next season. What I was saying is that I believe he will be a UFA in 2 years and I don't want the Blues to have to get in a bidding war with teams with a much higher budget than the Blues.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:00 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Any interest in Doan? I'm not sure he fits our top six, and I doubt that he wants a bottom nine spot. I'd imagine we would resign Langenbrunner for that spot, since Hitchcock has made it pretty clear that he wants Langs brought back.

On that topic, if Langenbrunner is brought back, I'd imagine that the Blues look internally for a third line center. If they do, who would you prefer? It seems the leading candidates are Oshie, Sobotka, and Steen.

Also, is there anyone left on the defence market that would be an upgrade over Colaiacovo? It seems like, barring a trade, that a one year deal for a guy in a similar situation to Langenbrunner or Arnott last year would be the best bet for shoring up the defence at this point. Assuming he would be willing to sign it, would you take Colaicovo back on a one year deal?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

If Doan were willing to sign I'd expect the Blues to trade one of their wingers for someone like Yandle. That would actually be quite a coup. They're 5.25M below the cap floor needing to sign Oshie to get to 14F, 7D, 2G. But if they traded Oshie plus a first for Yandle and signed Doan in free agency (just using the example to illustrate the $$ principle) then:

– Add Yandle 5.25M subtract Woywitka 700K.
– Add Doan, so they'd be over the cap by Doan's salary minus 700K, which is probably still in the budget range they can afford, especially because this year the actual payroll would be less than the cap figure.

Would I prefer to trade Stewart rather than Oshie? IN a heartbeat. But that's why Oshie has more value. Yandle's an All-Star defenseman who would be widely coveted enough to demand a better return than Stewart.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:19 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Any interest in Doan? I'm not sure he fits our top six, and I doubt that he wants a bottom nine spot. I'd imagine we would resign Langenbrunner for that spot, since Hitchcock has made it pretty clear that he wants Langs brought back.

On that topic, if Langenbrunner is brought back, I'd imagine that the Blues look internally for a third line center. If they do, who would you prefer? It seems the leading candidates are Oshie, Sobotka, and Steen.

Also, is there anyone left on the defence market that would be an upgrade over Colaiacovo? It seems like, barring a trade, that a one year deal for a guy in a similar situation to Langenbrunner or Arnott last year would be the best bet for shoring up the defence at this point. Assuming he would be willing to sign it, would you take Colaicovo back on a one year deal?
I'm sure there's interest, but I don't think Doan is a realistic option for the Blues, or for the vast majority of the league really.

The third line center question is an interesting one. Personally, I think the best internal candidates are Steen, Oshie, McDonald, and Schwartz in that order. Unfortunately, moving each player to center poses a problem for the team. The first two candidates are by far our most effective wingers on the forecheck and at defending the other team's breakout. McDonald is our best forward in transition and at leading the rush, and has health concerns. Schwartz (IMO) doesn't have the size, strength, or experience to jump in and be an effective NHL top 9 two-way center right now.

Personally, I would start with Steen and see where it goes. He plays a strong positional game in both zones, makes smart decisions with the puck deep in his own zone, creates less than most of the other forwards off the rush, is an effective board player, and is effective as a trigger-man out high in the offensive zone. Faceoffs could be an issue, as well as whether or not he feels comfortable in the role.

My lines:

Perron/Backes/Oshie
McDonald/Berglund/Stewart
Schwartz (or D'Agostini)/Steen/Tarasenko

Backes/Oshie is a great shutdown pair that you can match up against any top line. Perron adds a dash of creativity, and helps augment the possession game of the other two in the offensive zone once possession is gained.

McDonald/Berglund work very well together IMO. McDonald's speed helps open things up for Berglund, especially in transition, McDonald's raw ability to hold onto the puck and get the puck to the net helps as well, as perhaps Berglund's greatest weakness in the offensive zone is creating offense for himself/others off the cycle. The same goes for Stewart as well for that matter, both with regards to easing his transition responsibilities and generating offense once set up in the offensive zone. Pairing Stewart with the team's best rush player certainly can't hurt a guy who generates most of his chances off the rush. What little offense Stewart doesn't create off the rush comes from rebounds in the offensive zone, and once again, McDonald is our best player at creating his own chances and getting the puck to the net once the team is setup in the offensive zone. McDonald skill set complements the other two perfectly, IMO.

I think the remaining line would really benefit from Steen's high hockey IQ, simple/safe decision in all three zones, and direct N/S style of play. All three players will go straight to the net in the offensive zone when the opportunity presents itself, and having two LH shots available for one-timers (both of whom love to fire the puck) when Schwartz pulls up on the left half-boards is appealing. Get the puck out, get the puck in, get the puck to the net, go to the net...that's a recipe for success as a rookie in the NHL, and Steen excels at that style of game. I could see this line doing very well together if given the chance.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 07-07-2012 at 10:05 PM.
EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:29 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I agree with everything Easton said. If Stewart can get back to his old form, playing with McDonald and Berglund will be best for him. As for Schwartz and Tarasenko, I think playing with Steen would be best for their transition. In my opinion, Steen is the 2nd best forward for young players to play with, the 1st being Backes. With Steen's IQ, leadership, and energy level, I think the young guys would really benefit by playing with him.

Wasn't Perron playing with Backes and Oshie before he got his concussion? That was the last time we saw and in shape Perron and that line was on fire.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:51 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I agree with everything Easton said. If Stewart can get back to his old form, playing with McDonald and Berglund will be best for him. As for Schwartz and Tarasenko, I think playing with Steen would be best for their transition. In my opinion, Steen is the 2nd best forward for young players to play with, the 1st being Backes. With Steen's IQ, leadership, and energy level, I think the young guys would really benefit by playing with him.

Wasn't Perron playing with Backes and Oshie before he got his concussion? That was the last time we saw and in shape Perron and that line was on fire.
The key comment was " If Stewart can get back to his old form "

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
If Doan were willing to sign I'd expect the Blues to trade one of their wingers for someone like Yandle. That would actually be quite a coup. They're 5.25M below the cap floor needing to sign Oshie to get to 14F, 7D, 2G. But if they traded Oshie plus a first for Yandle and signed Doan in free agency (just using the example to illustrate the $$ principle) then:

– Add Yandle 5.25M subtract Woywitka 700K.
– Add Doan, so they'd be over the cap by Doan's salary minus 700K, which is probably still in the budget range they can afford, especially because this year the actual payroll would be less than the cap figure.

Would I prefer to trade Stewart rather than Oshie? IN a heartbeat. But that's why Oshie has more value. Yandle's an All-Star defenseman who would be widely coveted enough to demand a better return than Stewart.
If we were to sign Doan, I think the Coyotes fans wouldn't be happy if we were getting Yandle with a player that was now expendable because we signed Doan I don't think Oshie+1st would be enough for Yandle, but you never know.

If Doan did somehow end up in St. Louis, would anyone consider Oshie for Kulikov?

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Bluezfan65

Thinking totally out of the box, does anyone know of a KHL free agent that could strengthen our LD? I've just recently began to pay attention to European pro leagues and wonder if there might be a gem that has NHL aspirations. Just a thought.

Bluezfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote