HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezfan65 View Post
Thinking totally out of the box, does anyone know of a KHL free agent that could strengthen our LD? I've just recently began to pay attention to European pro leagues and wonder if there might be a gem that has NHL aspirations. Just a thought.
There's always Sandis Ozolinsh. He might be 40 years old, but the guy still has some left in the tank.

More likely possibilites would be Ak Bars Kazan defensemen Konstantin Korneyev or Denis Kulyash. Both are late 20's (Korneyev 28, Kulyash 29), Kulyash is bigger (6' 3, 214 vs. 5' 11, 183), but Korneyev has more offense in his game.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:03 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
There's always Sandis Ozolinsh. He might be 40 years old, but the guy still has some left in the tank.

More likely possibilites would be Ak Bars Kazan defensemen Konstantin Korneyev or Denis Kulyash. Both are late 20's (Korneyev 28, Kulyash 29), Kulyash is bigger (6' 3, 214 vs. 5' 11, 183), but Korneyev has more offense in his game.
Jonas Junland is available! Uh... I forgot Junland didn't want to play in Peoria...

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:14 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

Denis Kulyash (Russian: Денис Куляш; born May 31, 1983) is a professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for Ak Bars Kazan of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). Kulyash has been a long-time member of Russia's national ice hockey team known for his extremely hard slap shot, which gained him a nickname "Tsar Cannon" (Russian: Царь-пушка). Kulyash currently holds a record of fastest ice hockey shot previously held by Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara with a speed of 110.3 mph (177.6 km/h).[1]

Good info, thanks. Ya never know.

Remember the Brian Elliott signing? Armstrong is looking for another diamond in the rough in the D-man scrap pile.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Most boring free agency period ever.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Deko

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Remember the Brian Elliott signing? Armstrong is looking for another diamond in the rough in the D-man scrap pile.
Could '09 Hobey Baker Winner Matt Gilroy be that kind of signing? Yeah, I know he shoots right but I kinda would like to see him in Blues, low-risk high-reward like Elliott.

Deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
Could '09 Hobey Baker Winner Matt Gilroy be that kind of signing? Yeah, I know he shoots right but I kinda would like to see him in Blues, low-risk high-reward like Elliott.
Saw Gilroy with the Rangers. He makes Richard Simmons look tough.

Pass.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

so apparently the Blues have expressed interest in Doan

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...9bb30f31a.html

Not really sure where he would fit but a player like him u can always find a spot for.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
If Doan were willing to sign I'd expect the Blues to trade one of their wingers for someone like Yandle. That would actually be quite a coup. They're 5.25M below the cap floor needing to sign Oshie to get to 14F, 7D, 2G. But if they traded Oshie plus a first for Yandle and signed Doan in free agency (just using the example to illustrate the $$ principle) then:

Add Yandle 5.25M subtract Woywitka 700K.
Add Doan, so they'd be over the cap by Doan's salary minus 700K, which is probably still in the budget range they can afford, especially because this year the actual payroll would be less than the cap figure.

Would I prefer to trade Stewart rather than Oshie? IN a heartbeat. But that's why Oshie has more value. Yandle's an All-Star defenseman who would be widely coveted enough to demand a better return than Stewart.

I would rather trade Stewart, Schwartz and a 1st, than Oshie and a 1st for Yandle. People don't realize how much Oshie means to the Blues. His 2 way, high energy game is perfect for the Hitch system. I also just love the way he plays.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:11 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

As noted a page or so back, if you sign Doan you can trade one of your other roster wingers because you'll sign Doan for 4 years probably and by the time he's done you can replace him via upcoming draft picks or trade or free agency down the line. Seriously, sign Doan and then in a perfect world trade Stewart + Rattie + 1st for Yandle.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:16 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
so apparently the Blues have expressed interest in Doan

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...9bb30f31a.html

Not really sure where he would fit but a player like him u can always find a spot for.
This could mean many things.

1. They want Schwartz to start in Peoria.
2. They would prefer to not have D'Agostini start in the top 9.
3. They are setting up to make a trade with one of the current forwards.

Could be interesting to see how it plays out, but unless Doan wants to come here, I don't see how we can beat out the other bidders.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:24 PM
BlueDream

I'm glad the Blues are showing interest. Even if we don't get Doan, this shows that the Blues would still like to add another forward who is in the mold of a Doan/Langenbrunner type. With that said, I still don't see where D'Agostini fits.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
execwrite

Let the mad speculation begin.

Being one of 11 teams to "express interest" doesn't really mean anything.

I would have "expressed interest" every season when Bobby Orr was playing. (I'd still be interested today if he could skate).

Knock yourselves out fellas.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:40 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Let the mad speculation begin.

Being one of 11 teams to "express interest" doesn't really mean anything.

I would have "expressed interest" every season when Bobby Orr was playing. (I'd still be interested today if he could skate).

Knock yourselves out fellas.
Thanks for this breaking news...

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Maybe i am in the minority but I really don't want us to sign Doan. He's 35 right now imo he doesn't make any of our other forwards expendable at all. To sign him for more then 2 years seems like a bad idea IMO. If he signed for a Langs or Arnott contract from last year sure. But he's a winger not really solving any pressing need for us. Also I hope PHX stays in PHX and Doan plays and retires there.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

He probably played under Hitch one time or another with Team Canada, but he doesnt have much of a connection here. It sounds like he is waiting to hear on what happens in Phoenix, but you figure if he hits the open market there are a few teams he would be interested in more than others. I doubt he comes here.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:41 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I too hope the Coyotes stay right where they are. I'm sure they could draw more fans in Canada some where, but there are some die hard Coyotes fans. If the Blues were in that situation, I would be devastated if my team left for another city. Doan belongs with the Coyotes. He's been their captain forever, he should retire there.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:22 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
He probably played under Hitch one time or another with Team Canada, but he doesnt have much of a connection here. It sounds like he is waiting to hear on what happens in Phoenix, but you figure if he hits the open market there are a few teams he would be interested in more than others. I doubt he comes here.
IF Doan leaves Phoenix, IMO St. Louis is in his top 3 destinations to go.
The Blues are on the short list of Cup contenders for next year, he already knows a lot of the team through Team Canada and Walt has certainly told him how comfortable and welcoming the city is.

As weird as this may sound, I actually like the Blues chances of landing Doan if he doesn't go back to Phoenix.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:31 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

He is good friends with Tkachuk, so that could potentially help.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Alklha

The problem with Doan is that he is apparently wanting a 4 year contract. I wouldn't be surprised if a team offered him $19m or $20m over 4 years, and that is a little steep for a guy that will be about to turn 40 as the deal expires.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

The Morrow talk is interesting, similar player to Doan, would come with only a one year commitment as well. He might be able to be had for maybe something like Dags and a pick. Logical landing point for him with Hitch/Army connection as well.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

JR says the Oshie arbitration is set for July 20, which is quick. Ten days.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:09 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
JR says the Oshie arbitration is set for July 20, which is quick. Ten days.
Yeah, I remember them being the last few days of July and then early August. Hopefully they can come to a long-term deal before then as arbitration cases can get nasty and lead to hurt feelings.

I wonder what Oshie's asking for? I would say that he's worth just a bit more than Perron. Since he tied Backes on pts though, I wouldn't be surprised if he's aiming for Backes money.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
STL fan in IA

If a forward is moved out (say as part of a package for the LD they need) then I'd absolutely love to see them add Morrow or Doan.

I also like the Langs re-signing and the Crombeen trade. I wish BJ well but it was looking like he was shaping up to be the 13th or 14th forward here. I wish him well in TB.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Yeah, I remember them being the last few days of July and then early August. Hopefully they can come to a long-term deal before then as arbitration cases can get nasty and lead to hurt feelings.

I wonder what Oshie's asking for? I would say that he's worth just a bit more than Perron. Since he tied Backes on pts though, I wouldn't be surprised if he's aiming for Backes money.
I think he is aiming for Backes money. Advanced stats show the two are extremely comparable, almost dead overlap. He probably feels like he proved it on his prove it deal. I don't think he'll end up with Backes money but the Blues might have to settle for 4.25M or so if they want to get things done before arbitration.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Alklha

I think Oshie is looking for more than Backes. I have a hard time believing that if Oshie came in wanting $4.5m for 4-6 years, that a deal wouldn't have been worked out pretty quickly, even if it was for a little less. I suspect he is looking for close to $5m.

We don't really have an argument that he isn't worth the same as Backes got.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote