HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Ignore42me*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I have to disagree with you here.
I agree we aren't going to add a center(Steen or McDonald will get that position), but Army's been poking around Doan and Morrow and I think he gets a deal done for one of them at some point(should know where Doan's going by the end of next week).

I really think the plan is to grab another PF type winger so we can let McDonald go back to center with a bit of protection on his wings. We can then move D'Agostini, prospects and/or picks for a D man to play with Pietrangelo and then we call it an off-season.
so did you really disagree?

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:32 PM
stlweir

It appears Armstrong was kicking the tires on Doan and Morrow before signing Langs. At this point a 3rd line of Steen/Stewart and either Dags or Scwartz has the potential to be a productive line. Worst case scenario Armstrong adds a veteran LD before the start of the season.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
It appears Armstrong was kicking the tires on Doan and Morrow before signing Langs. At this point a 3rd line of Steen/Stewart and either Dags or Scwartz has the potential to be a productive line. Worst case scenario Armstrong adds a veteran LD before the start of the season.
Worst case scenario: He signs Carlo Colaiacovo.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
Worst case scenario: He signs Carlo Colaiacovo.
Yes, that's the "worst case scenario" because the Blues' defense sucked so horribly last season with Colaiacovo on it...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Yes, that's the "worst case scenario" because the Blues' defense sucked so horribly last season with Colaiacovo on it...

Yea correct me if im wrong but didnt we win the cup?

Old
07-16-2012, 11:15 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Strickland is reporting that Porter will be back. Will be interesting to see if he is right and if it is a 1-way or 2-way contract.

If it is a 1.5ish 1-way contract, it could mean that we shouldn't expect another move after Oshie signs.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Strickland is reporting that Porter will be back. Will be interesting to see if he is right and if it is a 1-way or 2-way contract.

If it is a 1.5ish 1-way contract, it could mean that we shouldn't expect another move after Oshie signs.
Beat me by 10 seconds.

There's no way that he's going to get 1.5. Consider the case of one Nikita Nikitin, who took a $600k 1-way contract over an $800k 2-way contract. I'm betting that he'll get around $700k on a 2-way contract.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I love Porter and I hope he stays. Does this potentially solidify Sobotka as the 3rd line center?

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Beat me by 10 seconds.

There's no way that he's going to get 1.5. Consider the case of one Nikita Nikitin, who took a $600k 1-way contract over an $800k 2-way contract.
Right, it would be a big IF, but if that happens it would be our way of hitting the cap floor. This could be another move to set up another trade.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:22 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I love Porter and I hope he stays. Does this potentially solidify Sobotka as the 3rd line center?
I'm thinking that spot is Steen's to lose.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:26 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Strickland is reporting it will be a 2-way, so the move adds depth. Maybe it sets up for a future move to be made. Porter is good enough to play 3rd/4th line minutes, and now we have a logjam again.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

We don't have a logjam again if it's two way.

Porter will be in Peoria or in the press box until an injury occurs.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:14 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Hope to see porter play some.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

That's a bit surprising given how seemingly definitive the reports had been about him moving on. No complaints, he's a useful depth player. Dominoes falling too slowly for folks to fill out their rosters, and for a guy like Porter probably wanted the one year security. Agree that after Oshie signs they're probably done barring any trade for the key d-man.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
We don't have a logjam again if it's two way.

Porter will be in Peoria or in the press box until an injury occurs.
He's still subject to waivers.
The Blues are either going to have to move another winger(D'Agostini), or put Schwartz in Peoria for the start of the year(which I don't think Army or Hitch wants to do).

At this point, I'd put money down that D'Agostini is moved before the start of camp; possibly even by the end of the week.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
No, not at all. It sounds like they're going to start off with Steen as the 3rd line C. Sobotka will play 4th line LW but certainly has the ability to move up when injuries occur.

Why are so many assuming that D'ags will be moved? He's a useful player with a 20 goal season under his belt. I also don't understand the assumption that the Blues wouldn't want Schwartz to start the season in Peoria. Why? He's the 10th top-9 forward rigt now. If something changes then yes, he'll stay but it would be excellent to have someone with Schwartz's ability available as a callup. Besides, there's bound to be injuries in the top-9 so Jaden will probably end up playing in STL most of the season anyway.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:27 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I think most people think D'Agostini will be moved simply beause every time they go to make lines, he seems like the odd man out. They know D'Ags belongs on one of the top three lines and doesn't seem like someone who should be a healthy scratch so the logic is to move him. However, the offense-by-committee approach and the hard lesson learned in 10-11 when depth was so sorely tested and a guy like D'Agostini stepped up and performed tell me that he's likely to stay. He can play either left or right (and probably can play center in a pinch), he's got speed and IMO he's underappreciated defensively. He's not Backes or Oshie but he's not a liability either. He's just a solid complementary player in an offense-by-committee scheme, and he's pretty cheap for that role.

Let's face it, once the season gets underway, depending on how guys are performing and what becomes available around the league, the Blues might well wind up grateful to have kept D'Ags if someone like Stewart is dealt.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Alklha

Not really a surprise that we want to bring Porter back on a 2-way deal. He didn't get the 1-way contract offer that he hoped for, which I a a little surprised about. Hopefully he'll be signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
No, not at all. It sounds like they're going to start off with Steen as the 3rd line C. Sobotka will play 4th line LW but certainly has the ability to move up when injuries occur.

Why are so many assuming that D'ags will be moved? He's a useful player with a 20 goal season under his belt. I also don't understand the assumption that the Blues wouldn't want Schwartz to start the season in Peoria. Why? He's the 10th top-9 forward rigt now. If something changes then yes, he'll stay but it would be excellent to have someone with Schwartz's ability available as a callup. Besides, there's bound to be injuries in the top-9 so Jaden will probably end up playing in STL most of the season anyway.
At the end of the playoffs I'd have agreed with you about Schwartz, but the way that Hitchcock spoke about him in an interview I got the impression that Schwartz is in his plans from game 1 next season. I assume that is reliant on him putting on some muscle over the summer though. Although, with the way the owners decided to start negotiations he might have until January before the Blues season starts.

Even if Schwartz is in the team all season, I still don't get why everyone is expecting D'Agostini to be moved. As you say, injuries will happen and that will bring D'Ags into the team. I don't doubt he is available if something comes along, but we are not going to be trading him for picks/prospects.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:42 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

No one is saying dump D'Agostini. He would only be moved in a package for a top 4 dman or in a deal for Morrow or someone like him.

We aren't going to move Stewart unless we can get value of what he was, and I can't see a budget team moving a prospect of much significance.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Yea correct me if im wrong but didnt we win the cup?
So you're saying that only the team that wins the Cup has a good defense, and 29 other teams are crap?

, indeed.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Alklha

Sonne, Peluso and Porter have all signed 1 year, 2-way deals.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
So you're saying that only the team that wins the Cup has a good defense, and 29 other teams are crap?

, indeed.
How did you get that out of what i wrote?? The places your thoughts can take you.....

Old
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:
so did you really disagree?
Ha, this one got me to laugh, nice one. Maybe he was disagreeing to agree?

As far as the worst case scenario. I'd say you're accurate with the Carlo comment. As that means we're pretty much staying right where we were on defense while having Woywitka as the 7th or 8th D man. Would hope they can find some sort of improvement from Carlo, or at least just let Cole start the season there. Just say no to Carlo.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Robb_K

I'm surprised that Porter didn't find a team that would give him a one-way NHL contract and a starting 4th line position.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Ha, this one got me to laugh, nice one. Maybe he was disagreeing to agree?

As far as the worst case scenario. I'd say you're accurate with the Carlo comment. As that means we're pretty much staying right where we were on defense while having Woywitka as the 7th or 8th D man. Would hope they can find some sort of improvement from Carlo, or at least just let Cole start the season there. Just say no to Carlo.
Robb said he doesn't think they're going to pick up any kind of scoring forward.
I said I think they still are looking to add a Doan or Morrow type to facilitate moving McDonald back to center.

It's not much of a disagreement, but it's still a conflicting POV.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote