HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Really surprised and glad they brought Chris Porter back. Didn't think he'd sign here after giving everything he had only to be dropped from the lineup in favor of the amazing hockey entity known as BJ "The Voice" Crombeen. I'd say it's great news but seeing as how Hitchcock pees himself at the thought of asking a veteran to sit a game, I'm not sure we'd actually see him play in a game come PO time with Langenbrunner re-signed. I guess I should just be glad he'll be back. Very few guys executed their respective role the way Chris did and I hope he brings it again next season.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:42 AM
TimtheDJ84

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Really surprised and glad they brought Chris Porter back. Didn't think he'd sign here after giving everything he had only to be dropped from the lineup in favor of the amazing hockey entity known as BJ "The Voice" Crombeen. I'd say it's great news but seeing as how Hitchcock pees himself at the thought of asking a veteran to sit a game, I'm not sure we'd actually see him play in a game come PO time with Langenbrunner re-signed. I guess I should just be glad he'll be back. Very few guys executed their respective role the way Chris did and I hope he brings it again next season.
I honestly think Chris can do more, given the opportunity.

TimtheDJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 50
Big deals?

Has there been any rumors in the mill of any large signings for the Blues? I have not been able to get much info nor able to follow the offseason and trades.

Is there any players on the market that the Blues are still trying to nab?

BigB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Alklha

vCash: 500
Nope, it has been pretty quiet. We apparently made a run at Garrison and Carle in FA, but Garrison took the discount to go back home and we didn't want to pay the price for Carle (thankfully).

Some talk that we were interested in Jay Bouwmeester at the draft, a month later and nothing sums that up IMO. I suspect any roster adjustments will be done during the season.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:58 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
So, umm, Weber signed an offersheet with Philly and stuff...

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:47 AM
STEVIE RAY BLUES

Is it just crazy to examine bringing in Semin?....Please hear me out! Yes we would have to pay him more than Backes....but then he would out produce Backes even while he took nights off. Yes he has a motivation issue....Isn't that what a good coach is for? We are lacking a pure sniper and this guy qualifies! Feel free to call me crazy but I also think it wouldn't hurt to have a skilled Russian on the team before Tarasenko plays his first game. I know this seems kind of desperate but we might be able to get him with a short term deal and face it folks.....We need someone to put the biscuit in the basket!

STEVIE RAY BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIE RAY BLUES View Post
Is it just crazy to examine bringing in Semin?....Please hear me out! Yes we would have to pay him more than Backes....but then he would out produce Backes even while he took nights off. Yes he has a motivation issue....Isn't that what a good coach is for? We are lacking a pure sniper and this guy qualifies! Feel free to call me crazy but I also think it wouldn't hurt to have a skilled Russian on the team before Tarasenko plays his first game. I know this seems kind of desperate but we might be able to get him with a short term deal and face it folks.....We need someone to put the biscuit in the basket!
Yes, it's crazy. Next question.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:51 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Just don't need more wingers. Would create even more of a log jam. He's a good offensive player, but his defense is certainly lack luster, and I don't think he scores enough in St. Louis to offset his defensive deficiencies.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:47 AM
oPlaiD

I would personally love for them to sign Semin, since he brings lots of things the team needs - an elite offensive talent who can score. He isn't bad in the defensive end either, although he does tend to take a few too many stick penalties.

If we signed him we would almost HAVE to move someone like Stewart for a D-man or something, though, since we'd simply have too many forwards.

I honestly think Semin would be perfect because you could get him signed for less than his actual value on the ice unlike any other elite offensive free agent due to an undeserved reputation and personal assassination based mostly off his country of birth. If he was a Canadian we'd be talking about his crazy 13-year deal like Parise got instead of his coach-killing laziness.

Perhaps the Blues can't fit it into the financials, but I think it'd be a great move if they could swing it.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:34 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
I would personally love for them to sign Semin, since he brings lots of things the team needs - an elite offensive talent who can score. He isn't bad in the defensive end either, although he does tend to take a few too many stick penalties.

If we signed him we would almost HAVE to move someone like Stewart for a D-man or something, though, since we'd simply have too many forwards.

I honestly think Semin would be perfect because you could get him signed for less than his actual value on the ice unlike any other elite offensive free agent due to an undeserved reputation and personal assassination based mostly off his country of birth. If he was a Canadian we'd be talking about his crazy 13-year deal like Parise got instead of his coach-killing laziness.

Perhaps the Blues can't fit it into the financials, but I think it'd be a great move if they could swing it.
No way. There is a reason Semin is still available, it's called Laziness.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:48 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I'm starting to get my hopes up for Doan.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Im not sure what I even expect if anything else

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I keep hearing Doan's name one up, and he would be an ideal forward for our club, but I haven't seen anything reputable yet about his interest in St. Louis. Or our interest in hi for that matter.

Anyone care to help out?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:34 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
I keep hearing Doan's name one up, and he would be an ideal forward for our club, but I haven't seen anything reputable yet about his interest in St. Louis. Or our interest in hi for that matter.

Anyone care to help out?
If you follow the situation, you'll find out that everyone wants Doan and Doan wants everyone. No one will really know for sure until the Phoenix ownership is settled and Doan actually signs a contract.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:35 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If you follow the situation, you'll find out that everyone wants Doan and Doan wants everyone. No one will really know for sure until the Phoenix ownership is settled and Doan actually signs a contract.
Pretty much, I dont really see Doan signing anywhere but Phoenix anyways

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:40 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm starting to get my hopes up for Doan.
Don't. I think it's a pipe dream. Army kicked the tires but of all the teams being mentioned concerning Doan, the Blues haven't been mentioned in weeks. Besides, I think he eventually re-signs in PHX anyway.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:42 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Pretty much, I dont really see Doan signing anywhere but Phoenix anyways
I agree, although the opportunity for Doan to win a Cup could sway him to another team.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Don't. I think it's a pipe dream. Army kicked the tires but of all the teams being mentioned concerning Doan, the Blues haven't been mentioned in weeks. Besides, I think he eventually re-signs in PHX anyway.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/spor...64/detail.html

Agent says they'll narrow it to 4-6 teams this week and then the Blues are one of six teams listed beneath in the article.

At least it's a mention

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

So you're saying there's a chance!

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/spor...64/detail.html

Agent says they'll narrow it to 4-6 teams this week and then the Blues are one of six teams listed beneath in the article.

At least it's a mention
Interesting. I hadn't seen that so thanks for posting. I'm not going to read too much into it though. The article could easily be referring to Army's reported kicking of tires weeks ago. There are also a lot of other teams that are apparently in on Doan which weren't listed, notably LA and MTL.

Last edited by STL fan in IA: 07-20-2012 at 01:10 PM.
STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:18 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Just don't need more wingers. Would create even more of a log jam. He's a good offensive player, but his defense is certainly lack luster, and I don't think he scores enough in St. Louis to offset his defensive deficiencies.
I think there is room for one more winger. Tarasenko took Arnott's roster spot, but after that Porter can be sent to Peoria right away creating a spot for someone like Shane Doan.

The last several seasons it seemed like the Blues enjoyed a log jam, but then the season actually started and attrition took over.

Not so sure that a log jam exists in the first place.

But I understand what you're saying.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 07-20-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: me go go
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:16 PM
BlueDream

I never put too much stock into it whether the national media mentions us as "in the hunt" or not. The Blues fly under the radar, they don't let a lot leak out to let people know what they are doing so a lot of times whether they are mentioned or not is irrelevant. I don't recall us being mentioned for Kariya much before we got him, and we were never mentioned in the Kovalchuk sweepstakes from what I remember, and we apparently were very much in on that as well. We're a secret organization. I know those were a few years ago but you get my point. I'm not expecting Doan but I'm sure the Blues have interest and are still in the mix...If Doan wants to win, I don't see why he'd rule us out.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:05 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Hilarious. People really don't think we have room for Semin? Naaah, clearly our roster of Nichol, Reaves, Stewart, Langenbrunner, and D'Agostini there's no room for a 50+ pt scorer like Semin.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:07 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Hilarious. People really don't think we have room for Semin? Naaah, clearly our roster of Nichol, Reaves, Stewart, Langenbrunner, and D'Agostini there's no room for a 50+ pt scorer like Semin.
Do you honestly think we are interested or in on Semin?

It doesn't matter what anything thinks about Semin, it isn't going to happen.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:23 PM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
So you think you can win in the playoffs without some warriors? The Capitals have clearly shown you can't.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote