HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ales Hemsky "Heavily in Play"

Old
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Gonchar for Hemsky? could be a good russian mentor for Yakupov.
Too old. If we were contending for the cup, and Gonchar was the last piece of the puzzle, then I`d probably be more willing, but not under current circumstances.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
You just troll every Edm post.....Schultz thread is no different....Hemmer has value...I agree that its not as much as we would like.....but we also didn't think we would get Yak. There are teams out there that would be thrilled to have Hemsky. We are dillusional if we think we are getting a top dman in return.
How is providing facts "trolling". Is this an Edmonton-only thread? It's an open forum.

After the 2010 season, we heard, "If he was healthy, he'd be an 80-point player."

After the 2011 season, we heard, "If he was healthy, he'd be an 80-point player"

Well in 2012, he was healthy (by his standards) and finished with his lowest PPG since the lockout.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
OK this thread is priceless!

1: Yes. Hemsky is injury prone. But there are some crazy Oilers fans who say he was recovering from surgery last year and that he's actually at 100%. I don't believe it myself.

2: No way Edmonton trades Hemsky unless the deal makes them a better team now.

3: He's not going to Detroit. They're too soft and small up front. Boy would i EVER love a Hemsky/Frazon trade, but Detroit can't afford to loose grit in their top 6.

4: He's not going to Vancouver. Hemsky/Kesler on the second line would annoy the hell out of Edmonton and the rest of the teams in the NW.

5: Franson > Smid = LMAO I'll have what he's having. I'd take Smid over any Toronto d-man. Edmonton would've been 10-12 points below Columbus without the Smid/Petry pairing last year.

6: Mcbain for Hemsky wouldn't be bad. Mcbain could last on our third pairing till our younger kids come up and push him down the depth chart. He doesn't play the body a whole lot, and Edmonton needs more bangers on the rear.

7: Expecting Hemsky to play with Yakupov is just crazy. Really. why take an 18 year stud and make him play out of position? Sure he could learn to do it, but there's a lot of different risks you're taking going down that road and the risk isn't worth it with a fresh 1st overall pick.

Why would Hemsky move to the left wing, either? He gets injured playing rough in the corners playing RW... :welcome to LW watch your... ah dammit. He's hurt again."

If Hemsky stays he'll be playing on a line with Horcoff and Smyth and he'll be playing on the 2nd PP unit with Gagner, Yakupov, Whitney and maybe Smid. (1st unit being Hall,Hopkins,Eberle,Schultz and Petry, of course)

8: Florida surely has some pieces which would interest Edmonton, but I'm not so sure they want to take on all that salary... especially if Florida is going to make a move to get Luongo.

9: Hemsky to Ottawa would be interesting if it involved Bishop, but I don't think Ottawa wants to get even softer in their top 6. They just lost Foligno. If they're going to trade away something significant for a top 6 forward I'm convinced that it has to be for someone who can bang.

10: Teams I think could benefit from taking a run at Hemsky. (In the crazy universe where his injury history doesn't matter.) Carolina, Pittsburg, Washington, Boston, Tampa, and Florida.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Yeah...why should other GM's care about little things like games played and injuries.

He was a 60-point player four seasons ago.

Four.
Look, I'm sorry if basic math escapes you, or reading comprehension for that matter, but the fact of the matter is you took the point totals without including the games. The 22pts came in 22 games, 42 in 47. Nobody said they expect him to play 82. Nobody guaranteed points either. What I said is that "pro-rated" (there are on-line dictionaries available if this is too hard to understand), based on the 3 seasons you feel are so horrible, he would produce at a 60pt level in an 82 game season. That type of production - like it or not - is worth 5 mil in a 70 mil cap world. Got it? Good, I knew you could do it, here's a cookie.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Hemsky was probably one of the best Oiler forwards last season.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:20 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Look, I'm sorry if basic math escapes you, or reading comprehension for that matter, but the fact of the matter is you took the point totals without including the games. The 22pts came in 22 games, 42 in 47. Nobody said they expect him to play 82. Nobody guaranteed points either. What I said is that "pro-rated" (there are on-line dictionaries available if this is too hard to understand), based on the 3 seasons you feel are so horrible, he would produce at a 60pt level in an 82 game season. That type of production - like it or not - is worth 5 mil in a 70 mil cap world. Got it? Good, I knew you could do it, here's a cookie.
Because that's how GMs and coaches would look at it. Only fans care about PPG. GMs and coaches care about games actually played.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Hemsky was probably one of the best Oiler forwards last season.
Disagree big time.

When Hall wasn't healthy Edmonton never had a hope in hell. They were 10 times better with him in the line-up.

Jordan Eberle was arguably the best right winger out there last season. His points per minutes played were sick. 5 on 5 and on the PP.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:22 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Because that's how GMs and coaches would look at it. Only fans care about PPG. GMs and coaches care about games actually played.
Yeah and everyone on HFboards said that Gaborik would only get signed to 1 year deal and that the price would be bargain basement because everyone was afraid that his body was going to fall apart on opening night.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I have always liked Hemsky and I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Flyers. I think a deal would revolve around Meszaros moving from the Flyers side, but the Flyers would not consider that deal unless they were able to lock up Carle or Suter first, the latter of which seems doubtful at best.

Hartnell - Giroux - Hemsky
Schenn - Briere - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Simmonds
Wellwood - Holmstrom/Talbot - Talbot/Rinaldo

Carle/Suter - Timonen
Grossmann - Coburn
Schenn - Gustafsson/Bourdon
Lilja

That looks pretty darn good to me, but I'd still prefer the Flyers to take a run at Doan or perhaps Ryan.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

I wouldn't be surprised if General Manager Steve Tambellini gets a return similar to the return for Bruising Forward Dustin Penner. General Manager Steve Tambellini has stated on multiple occasions that he does not want to trade for an established defenseman, at the risk of upsetting Next One Shcustin Jultz.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I have always liked Hemsky and I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Flyers. I think a deal would revolve around Meszaros moving from the Flyers side, but the Flyers would not consider that deal unless they were able to lock up Carle or Suter first, the latter of which seems doubtful at best.

Hartnell - Giroux - Hemsky
Schenn - Briere - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Simmonds
Wellwood - Holmstrom/Talbot - Talbot/Rinaldo

Carle/Suter - Timonen
Grossmann - Coburn
Schenn - Gustafsson/Bourdon
Lilja

That looks pretty darn good to me.
I love that one... I don't think locking up Carle would be enough. I think it would all depend on whether or not they could get Suter.

LOL imagine this deal going down and then Edmonton somehow managing to sign Carle.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if General Manager Steve Tambellini gets a return similar to the return for Bruising Forward Dustin Penner. General Manager Steve Tambellini has stated on multiple occasions that he does not want to trade for an established defenseman, at the risk of upsetting Next One Shcustin Jultz.
Well, let's say Edmonton does go out and get another top 4 d-man. Doesn't that just mean that Whitney and older Scultz end up playing on the 3rd pairing and the new guy plays with younger Schultz?

Even with Schultz Edmonton's blueline needs a little improvement.

I'd rather see Edmonton land physical LW who can slot into Edmonton's top-6. There are more options out there on the open market for d-men than there are for a physical left winger with 25+goal 100+ hit upside.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
helgo

From an outsider point of view - how about Ballard for Hemsky? Maybe Vancouver would need to add something. Hemsky with Kesler would be lethal and Ballard should (at least i suppose) still be able to crack Edmonton's top 4. Sorry if value is too far off, i'm not good with evaulating players...

helgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
How about instead of throwing insults around, you take a second to realize that you failed to mention his production last year.

Missing 60 games is a very big deal. Missing 35 the following season is also a big deal.

Follow that up by netting your worst offensive season in 8 years, then receiving a 5-million dollar cap hit for two years thereafter is what i was getting at.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Which is why Souray got 3.6 per on a 3 year deal that is a 35 plus contract, despite having serious injury issues 4 out of the last 5 years. GMs do care about games played, but nobody expects their guy to get injured either. Whether Hemsky's shoulders are fully healed remains to be seen, but it's no different than Gaborik and his groin a few years back before signing with the Rags. You evaluate the player on talent first.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgo View Post
From an outsider point of view - how about Ballard for Hemsky? Maybe Vancouver would need to add something. Hemsky with Kesler would be lethal and Ballard should (at least i suppose) still be able to crack Edmonton's top 4. Sorry if value is too far off, i'm not good with evaulating players...
The potential that Hemsky/Kesler would have is reason alone for the deal to never go down. If it did Vancouver would have to cough up something a lot more expensive than Ballard.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Which is why Souray got 3.6 per on a 3 year deal that is a 35 plus contract, despite having serious injury issues 4 out of the last 5 years. GMs do care about games played, but nobody expects their guy to get injured either. Whether Hemsky's shoulders are fully healed remains to be seen, but it's no different than Gaborik and his groin a few years back before signing with the Rags. You evaluate the player on talent first.
Agree completely.

Now. Someone tell me how the hell Gaborik managed to stay healthy this year.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Yeah and everyone on HFboards said that Gaborik would only get signed to 1 year deal and that the price would be bargain basement because everyone was afraid that his body was going to fall apart on opening night.
Gaborik was only one season removed from 42 and 83. He's obviously proved to be worth every penny with two 40 goals seasons in three years after signing the deal.

Hemsky is three years removed from his last wire-to-wire productive season. Since that season he's been either hurt or unproductive.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Well, let's say Edmonton does go out and get another top 4 d-man. Doesn't that just mean that Whitney and older Scultz end up playing on the 3rd pairing and the new guy plays with younger Schultz?

Even with Schultz Edmonton's blueline needs a little improvement.

I'd rather see Edmonton land physical LW who can slot into Edmonton's top-6. There are more options out there on the open market for d-men than there are for a physical left winger with 25+goal 100+ hit upside.
If I'm General Manager Steve Tambellini, I'd try to package Hemsky, Whitney, and a 2013 1st to acquire a premier defenseman. I'm talking about Keith, Chara, Doughty, Edler, Suter, and Weber.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
If I'm General Manager Steve Tambellini, I'd try to package Hemsky, Whitney, and a 2013 1st to acquire a premier defenseman. I'm talking about Keith, Chara, Doughty, Edler, Suter, and Weber.
And I'd surely be happy if something like that happened... but 2 years of Hemsky + 1 year of Whitney isn't all that palatable even if they're both healthy.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
And I'd surely be happy if something like that happened... but 2 years of Hemsky + 1 year of Whitney isn't all that palatable even if they're both healthy.
True.

Looking at Phoenix and their abundance of both NHL defensemen and defensive prospects, I'd target one of Yandle or Ekman-Larson. Yandle for Hemsky, + seems fair for both teams.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
How about instead of throwing insults around, you take a second to realize that you failed to mention his production last year.

Missing 60 games is a very big deal. Missing 35 the following season is also a big deal.

Follow that up by netting your worst offensive season in 8 years, then receiving a 5-million dollar cap hit for two years thereafter is what i was getting at.
Fair points, but after what we've seen in UFA can you honestly tell me he wouldn't have got 5 mil or better on the open market. True, the contract isn't ideal. True, he has a bad history of shoulder injuries. Yet no one wants to acknowledge that if the guy plays close to a full season (enormous if), he should put up around 70 pts. He has high end puck skills and playmaking ability, yet all everyone wants to do is point out his flaws. Fact is, if your team is devoid of talent and creativity, this is probably the guy you want to target, given the damaged goods price tag. A healthy Hemsky coming off a 60-70 pt season doesn't go for Jamie McBain. The current question mark Hemsky does though.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
True.

Looking at Phoenix and their abundance of both NHL defensemen and defensive prospects, I'd target one of Yandle or Ekman-Larson. Yandle for Hemsky, + seems fair for both teams.
And I'd be all over that deal... but I'd never expect it to happen.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
True.

If they're trying to acquire a premier defenseman (especially a young one) then they're going to have to give up one of their stars, not Hemsky, Whitney or other crap.

If the asking price was that low, there would be teams left and right outbidding them.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Kershaw

Hemsky was one of my favorite players, honesty, what happened to him?

I remember him scoring the hatty against the Preds this year.

edit: here it is.

That first goal was world class.

Last edited by Kershaw: 07-02-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: here it is
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote