Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild sign Torrey Mitchell 3 years, $1.9M per

Old
07-02-2012, 08:54 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Nystrom, Kobasew, Powe, Mitchell, etc. Yeah, Fletcher seems to bring in one of these guys to try to get that right mix of toughness, speed, and chippy offense for our bottom-6. And he hasn't been the most successful.

But honestly, what else is he supposed to do?

Guys like Zucker and Bulmer shouldn't be in the NHL yet. You want them to come into the league as 15-goal, 40 point wingers who take it to our opponents and become playoff heroes when they get a timely goal. You don't want them to learn to just be 20 point checkers.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bouchard will be redundant with Granlund and Phillips.

If the Wild can get a top six forward, Mitchell is essentially replacing Cullen at 3rd line LW.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
I think Phillips, Zucker, Coyle and even Foucault can chip in on our top six in case Bouchard hits his head on a pillow. And I really didn't mind Brodziak as our #2C last year.
Yeah, I like our prospects getting injury callups this year. But I want them in Houston for the most part. Then next year they can start coming up and contributing full time.

But only call them up for top 6 duty. Do not waste any of them on the 3rd or 4th lines like we have certain prospects in the past. That just wrecks development.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:41 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Nystrom, Kobasew, Powe, Mitchell, etc. Yeah, Fletcher seems to bring in one of these guys to try to get that right mix of toughness, speed, and chippy offense for our bottom-6. And he hasn't been the most successful.

But honestly, what else is he supposed to do?

Guys like Zucker and Bulmer shouldn't be in the NHL yet. You want them to come into the league as 15-goal, 40 point wingers who take it to our opponents and become playoff heroes when they get a timely goal. You don't want them to learn to just be 20 point checkers.
our bottom six was actually our saving grace more often than not before the injuries started happening and they had to bump up. The bottom six we started out with was very good at what they were supposed to do. No single person scored a bunch of goals but as a group they scored enough timely goals to keep us afloat.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Abraham85

Heatley, Setoguchi, Powe and now Mitchell... Just how many ex-Sharks do we need anyway?

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:47 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
Heatley, Setoguchi, Powe and now Mitchell... Just how many ex-Sharks do we need anyway?
maybe we can get burns back somehow...i would not mind having another ex shark.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:47 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
How many are available?

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Granlund 64

Quote:
One of these things is not like the others...

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Abraham85

I must have confused Powe with someone else. I'm sure there was another Shark on the team not too long ago.

E: Yeah Staubitz

Old
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Granlund 64

Quote:
I must have confused Powe with someone else. I'm sure there was another Shark on the team not too long ago.
Staubitz

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Squeeven

I think $1.9 is a little bit much for Mitchell to be honest. A lot of us on the Sharks board kinda wanted him gone because for most of the season our bottom six was a mess and didn't really help the cause too much and a lot of guys in our bottom six likely won't be returning but it wasn't really Torrey's fault because he didn't really have great linemates and he always had different linemates because coaches were shifting our lines around all the time to fix it. He's very fast and is a good checker that can play center and wing but just don't expect him to put up big numbers. He's also one of the funniest players in the league and from what I hear he's a great guy to have in the dressing room. I think you guys will like him in the bottom 6. Also he's got a few ex-teammates there of course in Setoguchi and Heatley. He's also got a sweet set of hands on breakaway chances. Oh and every once in a while he pulls this random awesomeness out of his $#%

Good luck Torrey! I'll miss ya!

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I think we could use a change, as could Bouchard.

I think Mitchell will thrive here, he seems like a Yeo type. He's got great speed, and there's no problem with adding a fast player, especially gritty fast players.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Also, Mitchell is a 3rd liner, possible second line tweener. Nystrom is not a comparable player in any way.
Mitchell is more like a 3rd/4th-line tweener. He should never touch a 2nd-line. Guys like Clutterbuck can move up onto a scoring line for a short while. Mitchell can't. The only way he moves is down a line.

The Nystrom comparison is pretty good. Darroll Powe is another good one.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:33 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
We're making up for 1991.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Monaakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Mitchell is more like a 3rd/4th-line tweener. He should never touch a 2nd-line. Guys like Clutterbuck can move up onto a scoring line for a short while. Mitchell can't. The only way he moves is down a line.

The Nystrom comparison is pretty good. Darroll Powe is another good one.
I disagree, i think Mitchell could fill in on a 2nd line if injuries hit, his role on that line wouldn't be scoring but retrieving pucks and forechecking to make room for other players to score. However i would much rather we call up one of the prospects to fill in for any injuries in the top 6.

Monaakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Considering he's a 10+15 player, I don't think he has any business in the top six. Clutter at least is a 15+15 or better guy. Mitchell is a 3rd/4th liner. A bit overpaid but he's got the speed and tenacity for a checking role, as opposed to Cullen who has a scorer's mindset but lacks the hands so he turns the puck over and falls over a lot.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
I always considered myself a Torrey Mitchell fan. The kid is super fast and has a good forecheck. On the downside, he has stone hands and doesn't score a lot.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:53 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Outlaw View Post
I always considered myself a Torrey Mitchell fan. The kid is super fast and has a good forecheck. On the downside, he has stone hands and doesn't score a lot.

I don't know about stone hands... He's scored a couple of beauties...

Old
07-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I don't know about stone hands... He's scored a couple of beauties...
Your right, he has scored some impressive goals before. However they were very far and few, and those were before he broke his leg. That was a huge setback for him. Before he broke his leg he was on the same level as Setoguchi. I always hoped he would get back to that level.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:28 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Your right, he has scored some impressive goals before. However they were very far and few, and those were before he broke his leg. That was a huge setback for him. Before he broke his leg he was on the same level as Setoguchi. I always hoped he would get back to that level.
I don't think ever had that level, but a broken leg takes time, I know you can play in a few weeks to a month or 2, but I sprained my ankle, which is worse then a break so they say, and it took me a year to get back to where I was, granted im no professional athlete.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
He'll fit right in then

Old
07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
nickschultzfan

I remember years ago Shark fans talking about Torrey Mitchell coming into the league and establishing himself as their 3rd line center with 40 point potential, but that clearly did not happen.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
grN1g

just because mitchell never really put up 35+ points in SJ, doesn't mean he'll have that same success here.

i remember when i thought brodziak could never be a 15-20g 45+pts center, but he showed me he could potentially be that.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Abraham85

I honestly believe this signing was a bad one. Mitchell was called out game after game during the playoffs and will probably not amount to much of anything for the Wild. Imo he's not worth the cash nor the roster spot.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:58 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Clutterbuck may be traded if the deals go down today like everyone is predicting...

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote