HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens sign Latendresse

Old
07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

vCash: 500
The Senators didn't go from a young, rebuilding team to a playoff team. They were a young, rebuilding team that got into the playoffs. The assumption was, and still ought to be, that this is a development year. We are going to have at least two, maybe three, rookies in our top-9 and our lone two UFA signings (so far) were guys that missed most of last year. If the writing isn't on the wall as to what Murray expects out of this team, I don't know what to tell you.

Powdered Toast Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
The Senators didn't go from a young, rebuilding team to a playoff team. They were a young, rebuilding team that got into the playoffs. The assumption was, and still ought to be, that this is a development year. We are going to have at least two, maybe three, rookies in our top-9 and our lone two UFA signings (so far) were guys that missed most of last year. If the writing isn't on the wall as to what Murray expects out of this team, I don't know what to tell you.
It's a guarantee that one of Zibanejad or Stone makes the team?

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Assuming Zibanejad doesn't fall down the stairs and tear his ACL. They barely sent him back to Sweden in the first place.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:51 PM
source

Quote:
Assuming Zibanejad doesn't fall down the stairs and tear his ACL. They barely sent him back to Sweden in the first place.
Everyone here seems to think it's guaranteed. We have a lot of good forwards.. we are not the New York Islanders.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I said we'd have at least two rookies in the top-9. If you want to be a tight ass about it feel free to take it as "I personally believe based on numerous factors that at least two rookies will play in the top-9 this season"

Old
07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
source

Quote:
I said we'd have at least two rookies in the top-9. If you want to be a tight ass about it feel free to take it as "I personally believe based on numerous factors that at least two rookies will play in the top-9 this season"
Huh?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I never said "I guarantee."

Old
07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Buckleys

i don't see these plethora of options, we still need a top 6 forward. We are going to be hurting for offense imo, and I don't see how one of Zbad or Stone don't get every opportunity to make it. Regin is not an option you should count on either, again, imo.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
source

Quote:
I never said "I guarantee."
I definitely see him as the rookie with the 2nd best shot, but I suppose it's possible that Da Costa takes that 2nd spot instead of him.

More likely I think our top 9 will look like: Alfredsson, Silfverberg, Spezza, Turris, Latendresse, Michalek, Regin, Greening, and Neil. 4th line spots for Smith, O'Brien, and Condra/rookie.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

As far as I am concerned, Regin has to prove he is worth consideration following his injury. I can see him being the extra, but unless he majorly impresses I sincerely hope he doesn't take away from Zibanejad.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

IMO, 5 of our top 6 is already set: Spezza, Michalek, Alfi, Turris, Latendresse.

Then Zibby, Silfverberg and Regin will have to battle it out to complete it.

We could also have 3 balanced lines.

Senateurs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
i don't see these plethora of options, we still need a top 6 forward. We are going to be hurting for offense imo, and I don't see how one of Zbad or Stone don't get every opportunity to make it. Regin is not an option you should count on either, again, imo.
Agreed. We are a team full of question marks. Will Regin, Alfie, and Latendress stay healthy? Will a rookie step up like we desperately need?

I don't like that we are relying on 3-5 guys who all have either injury history or just entering the league. With the rookies especially since we just traded our best drafted and developed forward since Spezza, yet we expect we have 4 or so guys from the last three drafts that will exceed Foligno.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Shabutie

Great value for Ottawa. Not sure where he will fit in. He's never been a fast skater and his conditioning (endurance) has always been an issue (you can say that for alot of big PFs though). If placed in a top 6 role I'm convinced that he will pot 25-30 (if he plays 70-75 games at least). I'll be interested to see how McLean uses him though. Very low-risk considering the $ amount and term. I guess Murray saw Foligno as being expendable with this signing.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:59 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
IMO, 5 of our top 6 is already set: Spezza, Michalek, Alfi, Turris, Latendresse.

Then Zibby, Silfverberg and Regin will have to battle it out to complete it.

We could also have 3 balanced lines.
Latendresse has to earn it, as do the others. Spezza, Alfie (retires?) Michalek and Turris, yes.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:06 AM
DefenseMinister

Just as it was discussed last offseason, fans attempting to cram every single rookie prospect into the opening night lineup are ignoring the actual signed roster.

Let's assume the Sens carry the max 14 forwards this year (2 extra bodies). Spezza, Alfie, Michalek, Latendresse, Turris, Neil, Smith, Greening, Regin, Butler and Condra are guaranteed spots. O'Brien and Daugavins are RFA's who have been qualified already and who just need to formally sign deals in order for them to be guaranteed as well.

That is 13 forwards. Both Butler and Daugavins are subject to waivers and will be on 1 way deals so unless they are dealt or the Sens are willing to lose them for nothing, they'll be on the NHL roster. O'Brien could technically be sent down without clearing waivers but he proved himself last year and is one of the few candidates for a 4th line centre role now that Winchester and Konopka aren't coming back. So there does not appear to be a scenario where he goes down either.

So assuming that the Sens do decide to carry 2 extra bodies at forward, that leaves 1 spot for any of Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Stone, Da Costa etc to compete for in camp.

Now this of course also assumes everyone is healthy which is rarely the case. Many of these young players would end up starting in Bingo and then being called up throughout the season (much like O'Brien and Daugavins were last year).

But as it stands now, people creating lineups with Silfverberg, Zibanejad and Stone in them are ignoring reality.

My guess is that Silfverberg is all but guaranteed an NHL spot and it's his to lose in camp. The others will be next in line but if the roster is healthy, they'll start the year in the AHL.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

In these discussions, keep in mind most teams have at least 160 man games lost to injury at forward every year. Which is to say, the team is consistently using their top 14 forwards, and their 15th if you count the call-ups for insurance. Rookies even if the last cuts, will get a lot of NHL games.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Classless Walrus

Really don't see Butler having a guaranteed spot.

He's gonna spend most of the year in the press box (or on another team), unless he drastically improved.

Classless Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:51 AM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaksh0w View Post
Really don't see Butler having a guaranteed spot.

He's gonna spend most of the year in the press box (or on another team), unless he drastically improved.
Guaranteed roster spot is different than guaranteed spot in the lineup on the ice. Regardless, teams can only carry 23 guys on the roster and if Butler's one of them, it forces someone else to play in Bingo.

The league has changed. Your roster is not determined in camp, it's determined in the off-season and fans only need to look at who have NHL contracts to sort out who will be on the NHL team and who they will not have room for.

But as has been mentioned, injuries will inevitably occur which means most of these young players will get a chance at some point to play NHL games this year. It's just a matter of when and how many.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Classless Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Guaranteed roster spot is different than guaranteed spot in the lineup on the ice. Regardless, teams can only carry 23 guys on the roster and if Butler's one of them, it forces someone else to play in Bingo.

The league has changed. Your roster is not determined in camp, it's determined in the off-season and fans only need to look at who have NHL contracts to sort out who will be on the NHL team and who they will not have room for.

But as has been mentioned, injuries will inevitably occur which means most of these young players will get a chance at some point to play NHL games this year. It's just a matter of when and how many.
Ah. Misunderstood what you were saying. Makes a lot of sense now.

Classless Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Silfverberg makes the team for sure... If he isn't good enough for the NHL (which I doubt, he can at least play on our 3rd line IMO), it would be a problem and he could jet back to Sweden

Other than that, one of Zibanejad/Hoffman/Stone/Petersson/Da Costa could make the team...

If no one else does outside of Silfverberg, some of them will still see NHL time because of injuries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Like what almost EVERYONE was saying 1 year ago... and you know what?

We finished 4th in NHL scoring.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...wName=goalsFor

Those who play the best will get more ice-time so nothing is set in stone about this line-up but I hope it looks like this (only highlighted ones should be set in stone. Depending on what happens, Greening and Neil could be on the 3rd line instead and vice-versa with Regin)

Latendresse-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Regin-Smith-Zibanejad
Greening-O'Brien-Neil
Condra/Butler

Wildcards : Hoffman, Da Costa, Petersson, Stone

IMO, it really depends on our health to offensive players (Spezza, Michalek, Turris, Alfredsson, Regin, Latendresse...) and if Alfie comes back.

The Sens are giving an opportunity to Silfverberg and Zibanejad to take a big role with the team. I support that, since they are possibly a big part of our future... A bit like with Karlsson and Cowen before

If Alfie retires (which I don't think he will) we'll have to do something about it... can't afford to lose a veteran like that and can't have too many rookies/inexperience

Quote:
Hey Senateurs, are you excited to see what can Latendresse do with the Sens too?

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Hey Senateurs, are you excited to see what can Latendresse do with the Sens too?
Yes I am, as long as this coaching staff doesn't make the same mistake MTL did by using him as a grinder/ energy player because he's got size. He's a scorer, he was scorer in junior and he was a scorer when playing with Havlat in Minnesota. We need to play him with Spezza or Alfie to really benefit from what he can do. If he spends the year with JOB, Zack Smith or Chris Neil, we are wasting 1.2M$.

Senateurs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Yes I am, as long as this coaching staff doesn't make the same mistake MTL did by using him as a grinder/ energy player because he's got size. He's a scorer, he was scorer in junior and he was a scorer when playing with Havlat in Minnesota. We need to play him with Spezza or Alfie to really benefit from what he can do. If he spends the year with JOB, Zack Smith or Chris Neil, we are wasting 1.2M$.
Totally agree, except that it would be Melnyk wasting that money haha

Latendresse's first 3 years in the NHL were very hard, the pressure he had as a young player was just insane (like Price-esque). They were already calling his name "Gui!Gui!Gui!Gui!" in pre-season games (Gui like Guy Lafleur) lmao

I'm sure you remember that

He was expected to be the savior in Montreal and become a 70 points power-forward but it's all about stupid expectations and pressure from fans and medias here... For sure it was easy for him to do that on the 3rd/4th line with grinders

Montreal has been a mess for a while (since the heart and soul Patrick Roy left) except 2-3 seasons there and there

Let him play his finesse/goal scoring game, he will still use his body more than most forwards.

I think he can easily score 25-30 with Spezza. Hopefully, injuries are now behind him and that's what he said in his PC. He said "it's behind, don't ask me about that again" lol

I like him, seems like a strong man now.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:08 PM
DonthaveaCOWEN

Silf is a lock. That's a no brainer. As for Zibby and Stone, they need time in the AHL plain and simple. However, I think (and hope) they get some games at some point in the NHL (as I hope Prince does as well). People forget about Hoffman. If he's going to do it, this is his year. Not much more to gain in the A for him

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
simplefan

Latendresse should play on the 1st line

If healthy, he's our best option at 1st LW beside Michalek who's more RW. That guy is a 27 goal scorer. He's more proven than Nick Foligno. He's the same age as Foligno, so 24 years old. He used to play in a pressure filled environmment in Montreal and he was only given 3/4th minutes until he got traded to Minnisota, 20 games in the season.

Wow that was such a breakthrough scoring 25 goals in 55 games.

No worries, he's a top 6. However, Bryan Murray should get another proven and more healthy Top 6.

I'm looking forward to training camp.... so much competition. Silf will not be garantied 1st line mins. He'll need to earn them just like everyone.

simplefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:42 AM
sens2k9

I just saw his contract on capgeek shows he'll still be an RFA after this year.

Not bad, this could be the under-rated signing of the year.

sens2k9 is online now   Reply With Quote