HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Thanks Ray! -- and farewell

Old
07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Kimahri

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
No more creeper vision.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Whitney on TSN right now, and says the main reason for going to Dallas was because they offered a second year.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
TJinAZ

Can't blame Ray

He was class from day one. At his age he has to be looking at getting the best deal he can, plus he already has his cup.

Nothing bad to say about him at all wish him the best and hope he keeps putting up the points... just not against us.

I will totally miss creeper vision.

TJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I don't know if I would have done that deal. Good luck to him in Dallas.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

LOL at the Stars Fans thinking this was an absolute steal. Just like how Fiddler was?

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It's not about "being okay". It's irresponsible to leave five million dollars on the table.
Players do it all the time. It isn't so irresponsible when you are talking x number of millions or y number of millions. It's still million(s). Not to mention this is after years of already making million(s).

I get what you are saying. But in this situation, it isn't like his family was going to be hurting if he had taken .5 or 1-mill less.

On topic: We need to get some offense, and fast. Why those D-bags are ****ing with our ability to compete is beyond me. Man am I starting to hate the NHL.

Magnifique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
DesertDawg

Gonna miss you Ray

...so the Stars trade Ribiero and sign Whitney?

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:48 PM
zLiMbiLLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
...so the Stars trade Ribiero and sign Whitney?
Indeed a strange move.
Maybe its cause Ray isnt as expencive as Ribeiro and plus that Ray have a better feel of scoring and not mention the experience and leadership.

zLiMbiLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Coyotes89

Quote:
Do you have a family to support?
yes and I could support them with 2 million a year just as well 4.5 mil....

Coyotes89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:20 PM
PhoPhan

If Whitney were a "loyal" player, he never would have played for the Coyotes in the first place. The Stars are his eighth NHL team. He's a mercenary. Live by it, die by it.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:21 PM
OOEEL

So I guess we can finally answer the age old question of "Where's Whitney?"

Good for Wiz to get paid though, he was incredibly fun to watch these last two years, getting to have him here for his 1000th point was really awesome.

Am I the only one chomping at the bit to try to slot Miele or Shinnimin into Whitney's spot? Undersized scores? We got that

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Do you have a family to support?
Yeah, it's all about the family. lol...get the **** out of here!

Anyway, sucks we lost Ray but I understand why he left. He was a pleasure to watch here and I hope Hanzal and Vrbata can survive ok without him.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:32 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes89 View Post
yes and I could support them with 2 million a year just as well 4.5 mil....
Not me. I could have a lot more fun and security at twice the income over the next two years guaranteed than I made over the last two years. And that's how I look at it. Offer me 2 million a year or 4.5 million a year to do my job - I'll take 4.5 million a year - especially if I don't have to move to another country. Especially if I only expect to be able to work in my field for another couple years, 3 at the most.

He made $3 mil this year? He knows 4 years from now he won't be making what he made last year. I don't blame him one bit for taking a 2 year deal. And, if it is true the league had input into not offering him a 2 year deal, what does that say? Does it say they think the team would be impossible to sell to anyone for anywhere if he was useless after this season and still guaranteed $4 million? Sounds unlikely. Does it say every suitor called them up and said 'no way'? Sounds unlikely. Does it say the NHL expects to own this team for two more years? Sounds unlikely. Does it say Jamison told the NHL 'no way do I want him signed for 2 years if I have to pay for the second year'? Or does it say the league is expecting another lengthy lockout - perhaps a half season, or even a full season, and that they know 40 year old guys with 1 year of rust have a lot harder time bouncing back than 30 and younger guys do. Or some other consideration kept them from offering a second year?

I don't know.

But if the prospect of a lengthy lockout and his age was at all a consideration... how come Dallas wasn't in the loop on that?

Anyway, thanks Ray, and good luck, except against us.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Whitney on TSN right now, and says the main reason for going to Dallas was because they offered a second year.
I think the writing was on the wall for this one since being eliminated from the playoffs. Whitney made no secret that he wanted at least a second year in any deal he would sign. Maloney also made no secret that at Whitney's age he was hesitant to offer him that second year. Apparently Dallas was the only team that offered a year 2. Whitney would have been a fool not to take such a deal, which he is not. We will see in time if Dallas was foolish for the offer.

I am disappointed that he is gone but if I was thinking with my head rather than my heart, it was a foregone conclusion.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
zLiMbiLLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
So I guess we can finally answer the age old question of "Where's Whitney?"

Good for Wiz to get paid though, he was incredibly fun to watch these last two years, getting to have him here for his 1000th point was really awesome.

Am I the only one chomping at the bit to try to slot Miele or Shinnimin into Whitney's spot? Undersized scores? We got that
Nope same here
Shinnimin are for my fave, both Tippet and Donny has cheered his extreme work-ethic.
I would absolutely give him a shot for it, and if he does it good, or even make points I would keep him there. Thats just me...

Its all about gamble.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:11 PM
drgregg

Nevertheless, Whitney had a great year this year and was a good leader and dressing room presence. I am thankful that Phoenix was one of his many stops in his career. He was a big reason that we made the playoffs last season.

Thanks for everything and best of luck in finishing your career on your on terms.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLiMbiLLY View Post
Nope same here
Shinnimin are for my fave, both Tippet and Donny has cheered his extreme work-ethic.
I would absolutely give him a shot for it, and if he does it good, or even make points I would keep him there. Thats just me...

Its all about gamble.
Can't wait to see Shinnimin and Miele in training camp and preseason and get a better handle on how they are progressing.

Detroit reporters said that we have been in contact with Hudler. I love FA day!

Old
07-01-2012, 03:32 PM
awfulwaffle

Wish him the best, so sad to see him go though.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:08 PM
zLiMbiLLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
Can't wait to see Shinnimin and Miele in training camp and preseason and get a better handle on how they are progressing.

Detroit reporters said that we have been in contact with Hudler. I love FA day!
Hudler wouldn't be bad at all. If he shows to be a real resource in offense, otherway he would be a "safe card" when Shinnimin or Miele strikes for a spot.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:01 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
Shades of 2007

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:06 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Good for Ray and good for the Coyotes. I don't blame either party for their decisions. Agreed this can be Miele spot. Also, don't be surprised if Whitney is traded mid-season to an EC playoff contender (NYR, Philly, Boston) as I'm not sure marriage in Dallas will be a good one for either side.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Shades of 2007
That's what I thought when I read that, too, but I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade...

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Shades of 2007
Key differences are the coaching staff, the goaltending, and the corps of blueliners. I really dont think we can be flat out awful given our coaches, goalies, and top nine or so defenders.

So long as there are no disasters involving Smith.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:30 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Key differences are the coaching staff, the goaltending, and the corps of blueliners. I really dont think we can be flat out awful given our coaches, goalies, and top nine or so defenders.

So long as there are no disasters involving Smith.
Na I didn't mean it as a complete disaster, but rather forcing young guys in who aren't ready.

Even without the coaches the D is much too strong for that. Really need to win some shootouts though.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Na I didn't mean it as a complete disaster, but rather forcing young guys in who aren't ready.

Even without the coaches the D is much too strong for that. Really need to win some shootouts though.
Brendan Shinnimin is 21. Andy Miele is 24. Both are far more developed than Turris and Boedker were when Gretzky threw them to the wolves. They also won't make the team unless Tippett thinks they can contribute, and they won't see minutes unless they actually do contribute. And when they do see minutes, they'll be easy ones.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote