HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks sign Adam Burish (reported 4 years/$1.85m per)

Old
07-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I thought it was a little less or am I wrong?
I think it was around 700k

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:12 AM
NWShark*

Takes many ingredients to build a cup contender. This is one we were missing. I like the signing. Leaves room for other moves. I think with his signing it should also signal an end to the Pavelski trade rumors. I think this is DW saying he's not trading P. My bet is demers, clowe and Marleau are the ones who should be worried about real-estate prices.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
I haven't had time to read through everything in here, but my initial reaction is WTF?! Did we not just get rid of Mitchell's horrible contract?

4 years and $1.8 is two years too long and $.5 mil too much money. For a team that needs to be smart with the cap this doesn't strike me as a very smart move.

Could be an initial over reaction, but I"m not a fan of this signing. This must mean Winnik is asking for something around $2.5-3.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
I haven't had time to read through everything in here, but my initial reaction is WTF?! Did we not just get rid of Mitchell's horrible contract?

4 years and $1.8 is two years too long and $.5 mil too much money. For a team that needs to be smart with the cap this doesn't strike me as a very smart move.

Could be an initial over reaction, but I"m not a fan of this signing. This must mean Winnik is asking for something around $2.5-3.
Mitchell's contract was horrible because he couldn't score, couldn't play the possession game very well, couldn't kill penalties, and couldn't bring any of the things that you would expect a role player to bring...energy, physicality, or whatever you might want. Mitchell has NHL talent but he's like Andrew Murray. Can never put it all together and doesn't bring that one specialized element that teams generally look at from bottom six forwards.

Burish will at least kill penalties effectively for the club. May not be worth the 1.8 mil over four years but just that one thing already gives him a significant edge over Torrey Mitchell.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Mitchell's contract was horrible because he couldn't score, couldn't play the possession game very well, couldn't kill penalties, and couldn't bring any of the things that you would expect a role player to bring...energy, physicality, or whatever you might want. Mitchell has NHL talent but he's like Andrew Murray. Can never put it all together and doesn't bring that one specialized element that teams generally look at from bottom six forwards.

Burish will at least kill penalties effectively for the club. May not be worth the 1.8 mil over four years but just that one thing already gives him a significant edge over Torrey Mitchell.
I still believe that Mitchell's confidence really took a dump after he and Foster had the run into the boards way back when. I doubt he'll be around after his contract with the Wild, as I was surprised it ever happened in the first place.

Chaotic8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

This was probably addressed at some point during this thread, but is Burish fast?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
This was probably addressed at some point during this thread, but is Burish fast?
I've asked that too, no one seems to know lol.

I just have not watched the guy play enough.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

This is obviously older, from his prospect report but looks like he has good acceleration.

Quote:
Burish is a hard-working, two-way forward who can play in just about any type of situation. His sound defensive skills and good on-ice vision makes him an outstanding player in penalty killing situations. He is a good skater with good acceleration. His offensive play thrives around the net. He can often be found driving to the net or creating havoc around it for opposing goaltenders. Burish possesses a tremendous work ethic and superb leadership skills. He is a tenacious puck pursuer. He is very good along the boards and has the ability to grind things out. Burish doesn’t shy away from the physical aspects of the game. He can deliver solid checks as well. He follows plays and transitions well also.

07-02-2012, 01:49 PM
chris39bong

I wouldn't call him fast, but he does seem to get from Point A to Point B pretty well. He's one of those guys that doesn't have a lot of skill, or a pretty skating stride, or speed, but he seems make a noticeable and positive impact most shifts. I remember thinking back during the Sharks vs Hawks WCF that this guy sucks, but always seems to be in the play and doing something, anything to help his team win.

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:41 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris39bong View Post
I wouldn't call him fast, but he does seem to get from Point A to Point B pretty well. He's one of those guys that doesn't have a lot of skill, or a pretty skating stride, or speed, but he seems make a noticeable and positive impact most shifts. I remember thinking back during the Sharks vs Hawks WCF that this guy sucks, but always seems to be in the play and doing something, anything to help his team win.
He's the guy that coaches can't cut, even if someone more talented has to go, because he makes the team better by constantly working harder than everyone else.

Yes, we can moan about the contract, but every team needs someone like that, especially this one.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

Same here.

The only thing I know about him is that's he's a "good locker room guy" and an agitator, I have no idea how his skating, stickhandling, hockey IQ, etc. is.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:25 PM
TealTownUSA

we traded for winnik, tj was a throw in...we keep tj, winnik gone...sign a 4th liner at taco torrey prices.

i give up.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealTownUSA View Post
we traded for winnik, tj was a throw in...we keep tj, winnik gone...sign a 4th liner at taco torrey prices.

i give up.
That trade should have never happened. Just like a 2nd rounder for Wallin....milk was a bad choice.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
That trade should have never happened. Just like a 2nd rounder for Wallin....milk was a bad choice.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
TealTownUSA

Quote:
stupid trades. what did we give up for Moore again? he's gone too.

teams love to unload players to us. great picks for rental players. we're like a bad thrift store

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:07 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Sheppard for a 3rd was, confusing, also. And Colin White for free.

I wonder what they see in these guys that I don't.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
rangerssharks414

I don't know how I feel about this signing. I feel like the term is too long, and he's overpaid just slightly, but then again, the PK needs a lot of work.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:59 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Marleau can't play the speed game by himself either
The Burger line begs to differ. It's not so much that he didn't produce because he had no speed around him. It was a mix of both his average play for most of the season, and the system. The team didn't have nearly as much stretch passes as they had in the past seasons.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I don't know how I feel about this signing. I feel like the term is too long, and he's overpaid just slightly, but then again, the PK needs a lot of work.
A more indepth look into Adam Burish, the role player.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:03 PM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
He's the guy that coaches can't cut, even if someone more talented has to go, because he makes the team better by constantly working harder than everyone else.

Yes, we can moan about the contract, but every team needs someone like that, especially this one.
Amen to that!

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Hes better than Taco Torrey.
Yes he is. Burish is more valuable in more situations than Mitchell. 1.8 is probably what the Sharks would have had to pay Mitchell to keep him. Burish has the versatility the Sharks look for... how appropriate.

One of the things that may have attracted the Sharks: Look at his offensive zone starts and more importantly look at his offensive zone finishes... Then look at Mitchell

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 07-02-2012 at 06:48 PM.
WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
Does he play on the PK?
Yes.. hes ok

Old
07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
dwood16

Does anyone have a good scouting report on Burish?

Can he skate at all? Shoot? He seemed to play well against us but I don't know the details of his skillset.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Does anyone have a good scouting report on Burish?

Can he skate at all? Shoot? He seemed to play well against us but I don't know the details of his skillset.
Decent skater and penalty killer. Good agitator and physical player. Will drop the gloves. Hes a good character and bottom 6 guy.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:11 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Decent skater and penalty killer. Good agitator and physical player. Will drop the gloves. Hes a good character and bottom 6 guy.
He also has been successfully used in multiple roles.