HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Arron Asham (2 years @ $1 million per)

Old
07-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Mikos87

vCash: 500
Asham's got more agitator in him than Prust, who is an honorable player. The fact that Asham's gotten under the skin of ranger fans who hate the signing shows that he does what he does effectively. The guy has been a thorn against the Rangers for a while now, and if the coaches can reign him in a little (and I'm fully confident they will), Asham will fill his role just fine.

He's got plenty of willingness as Torts would say, to step up for his teammates. Only reservation I have is how he fits into the NYR system, is this a guy that plays smart, disciplined hockey? I can't say I'm a 100% sure.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Asham's got more agitator in him than Prust, who is an honorable player. The fact that Asham's gotten under the skin of ranger fans who hate the signing shows that he does what he does effectively. The guy has been a thorn against the Rangers for a while now, and if the coaches can reign him in a little (and I'm fully confident they will), Asham will fill his role just fine.

He's got plenty of willingness as Torts would say, to step up for his teammates. Only reservation I have is how he fits into the NYR system, is this a guy that plays smart, disciplined hockey? I can't say I'm a 100% sure.
not always. he will try for stretches and come unglued at times. a good player for what he is. not a heavyweight, but will do a little of everything. not a horrible skater. above average slap shot when he uses it. Chris Simon Lite.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:26 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
not always. he will try for stretches and come unglued at times. a good player for what he is. not a heavyweight, but will do a little of everything. not a horrible skater. above average slap shot when he uses it. Chris Simon Lite.
I think he's coachable enough that if Torts tells him not to do something--he's not going to do it.

He agitates a bit--but honestly I see him as a fairly straightforward player. I've always liked watching his fights--his opponents though have been all over the map. They include lots of other fighters--including some really big goons, middleweights and guys who don't fight very much at all--like the unfortunate Beagle. Asham will exchange--he will take a punch or two to set the other guy up and when he throws them he punches to hurt--not wide looping punches but straights and uppercuts. He aims them as well. Not a brawler so much as a guy with some technique and some real power to hurt.

That being said--there have been times he's been overmatched. He's not a legit heavy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:41 AM
ck20

We've reined guys in before, maybe he'll turn out to be a better version of an Avery project?

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Edge

Avery and Asham are two very different personalities. I don't know why we are getting into a group think about Asham being a problem child when there is absolutely nothing to support it.

It's like one person throws something out there and all of a sudden people start running with it.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Avery and Asham are two very different personalities. I don't know why we are getting into a group think about Asham being a problem child when there is absolutely nothing to support it.

It's like one person throws something out there and all of a sudden people start running with it.
Maybe not in the locker room, but on the ice is a different story.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Maybe not in the locker room, but on the ice is a different story.
Dude has been suspended once, or as many times as Shane Doan.

He's never had a rule made up for him by the NHL.

He's never worn out his welcome anywhere he's played.

He's an agitator, but he's not a problem child. There's a big difference.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:53 PM
eco's bones

Apart from the deal with Beagle last year I can't remember Asham ever showing off. Nor does he seem mouthy with the refs or opposing players. He is a tough dude. About Prust's size and at least as good a fighter. He has a slap shot that has some real velocity. He usually needs some time and space to get it off. Average speed--somewhat less than average in other things. He's apparently not been penalty killing and neither apparently has Pyatt. For bottom liners something's going to have to give there especially with Rupp being another one. My guess is we'll try Pyatt first.

Regarding Avery--I liked Sean--he is a bit of a showoff and very mouthy though. Pretty decent fighter for a small guy. Sean likes to stand out--Asham likes to fit in. There's a major difference just there. Sean had better skills but eventually his act got to the point of no return with Torts. Sean was only suspended once himself though--and that was for the off ice remarks about his ex. and Dion Phaneuf.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Kinsler532

asham has a rocket like the best. if hes going to play here then he needs to shoot. he became a bit of a d-bag in pitt. lets see if he can turn his rep around.

Kinsler532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Kinsler532

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Apart from the deal with Beagle last year I can't

Regarding Avery--I liked Sean--he is a bit of a showoff and very mouthy though. Pretty decent fighter for a small guy. Sean likes to stand out--Asham likes to fit in. There's a major difference just there. Sean had better skills but eventually his act got to the point of no return with Torts. Sean was only suspended once himself though--and that was for the off ice remarks about his ex. and Dion Phaneuf.
Can you please show me where avery was ever a good fighter? what he was good at was going after goalies and guys who couldnt fight. when he did fight someone who could he got his a$$ handed to him. Watch the fight where he tried to go after Travis hamonic i think it was of the islanders and then haley came in. Avery tries to throw a quick sucker punch and then gets destroyed. Asham and prust are good fighters for their size. Hell even bill guerin is a good fighter for his size (like when he dropped clarkson). But sean avery will never be a good fighter.

Kinsler532 is offline   Reply With Quote