HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012 Coyotes Off-Season Thread (part 2)

Old
08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
don't think that Maloney is finished, depends on Doan and the ownership being resolved...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:24 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Not sure where to post this, didn't want to make a thread...

What do you think the forward lines for PHX will look like this year?
No way of knowing. It may as well be July 2nd for us, at this point. Complete limbo.

08-10-2012, 12:33 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The main trade board has now decided that Keith Yandle sucks and is a glorified forward. Haha. I love this place. Was it fourteen months ago he was fourth in Norris voting?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:53 AM
DesertDawg

If the cap ceiling goes down as anticipated and there are no roll backs, the Coyotes will be in a position to maybe pick up someone that is better than the salary dumps that have been speculated. Krejci may be had for a lot cheaper than Yandle (best case scenario?)! No other team would be able to benefit as much as the Coyotes. Another reason why Maloney should wait and see how the CBA unfolds...

Old
08-10-2012, 08:32 AM
essbee

I think it would be stupid for the Coyotes to trade Yandle, he's probably the best offensive player on this team. He needs to refine his defensive game but the points are there no doubt, he proved it again in the playoffs. I would be ecstatic to have a defense half as good as the Coyotes one in Detroit haha.

essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:38 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If we can keep Doan and pick up a decent upgrade on Langkow, I think we are a better team, overall, than we were last season. About all you can hope for, given the circumstances.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:53 AM
essbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If we can keep Doan and pick up a decent upgrade on Langkow, I think we are a better team, overall, than we were last season. About all you can hope for, given the circumstances.
How do you replace Whitney's 77 points tho?

Old
08-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Ted Mosby

Quote:
I like Brule a lot but I feel like management is focusing on size a whole lot. Moss, Johnson, Klinkhammer, Rechlisz, Samuelsson, Martinook, etc. My guess is Don is feeling a little insecure about how we were completely run over by Los Angeles. The problem is that everybody was completely run over by Los Angeles. You don't get bigger and burlier than the St. Louis Blues and it didnt help them. LA was as hot as I've ever seen a hockey team and you don't go changing your organizational philosophy simply because you were vested by the hottest team in recent history.
I still really love the name Klinkhammer. If makes the big team, I'd be tempted to get his jersey.

Ted Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Wanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by essbee View Post
with Sullivan's 60 and Boedker growing to a bigger role ... btw. Vrbata scored 20+ goals even at line with Prucha... I have no doubts with Sullivan ....

Wanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
essbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanic View Post
with Sullivan's 60 and Boedker growing to a bigger role ... btw. Vrbata scored 20+ goals even at line with Prucha... I have no doubts with Sullivan ....
Fair enough. I really like Boedker and I hope he'll respond well this year.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
goyotes

We need another legit scorer and some additional help on the PP. I don't want to see us trading Yands but we are stacked on defenses. I could see GMDM getting another forward via trade before training camp opens (if and when it does). Plus, even if we give Doan $6M a year, we are still well below the cap floor so I think the team has to make another move.

goyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I'd love to see what a full year of Vermette and Boedker together looks like. That line was great during the playoffs. Doan was great on that line, but I felt like Boedker and Vermette were the ones using each other most effectively.

Blubba Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by essbee View Post
Sullivan had only 48 points in the regular season last year. But he had 22pts in his last 22gp in the regular season and then another six points in his six playoff games played. 28pts in his last 28gp.

I hope we can take that as a positive sign that he's not slowing too terribly and should hopefully be good for 50pts next season.

Boedker was our best forward in the post season and showed great chemistry with Vermette. So we hope he can continue to improve, and given his age, he should.

Speaking of Vermette, we'll have him for a whole year. He really started clicking after a brief adjustment period. Now that he's all familiar, we are hopeful he puts up good numbers for us.

OEL is a year older and should take his offense to a new level.

Keith Yandle had a bit of an off year after trying a little too hard to earn that new contract of his. I'm guessing he chills out, quits over thinking, plays his game, is who he is, and rebounds with a big year.

It's not just about points, though. I said improved "overall". I meant it.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:24 PM
DesertDawg

I think that Moss will net ~ 20 goals.
Afte re-signing Doan the next priority is getting a center that can have chemistry with Korpikoski (I'm guessing and hoping it's Connolly). Secondary scoring was a major problem going into the playoffs, and IMO the Coyotes are addressing it.
start of the season
Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Sullivan - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpikoski - Connolly/Lombardi(?) - Johnson
Chipchura/Bissonette/Gordon - Moss

showcase Summers and Schlemko at the start of the season. Maybe a trade will happen by the time Torres comes back. Maybe the CBA will benefit the Coyotes more than any other team.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Bandit34

Don't get the love for Lombardi coming back. I know he is cheap to attain/played well here but he is no where near the player he used to be. Rather re-sign Langkow/sign Arnott than to trade a pick for the guy that adds nothing right now. Connolly is a solid idea, however.

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:34 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
Don't get the love for Lombardi coming back. I know he is cheap to attain/played well here but he is no where near the player he used to be. Rather re-sign Langkow/sign Arnott than to trade a pick for the guy that adds nothing right now. Connolly is a solid idea, however.
It's a gamble like any other. You are gambling that being another year removed from the concussion, with his first proper offseason of conditioning, and his first proper training camp since the injury will pay off and he will be able to find his game again. That he will be able to again become the player he became in Phoenix, for Dave Tippett. You'd be betting that removing him from the circus in Toronto and putting him back in a familiar, structured, low key environment is just the thing he needs to make a full recovery and reclaim the promising career he had before he left us.

Also, he's a known commodity. We know a lot about him. Here are some things we know; that he likes playing in Phoenix and has played well here, that he likes playing for Tippett and has played well for him, that he will be cheap to acquire, and that he only has one year left on his contract.

Low, low risk, medium to high reward.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Kaizen

Lombardi's history of concussions is enough to scare me away. It was probably a factor in the Don drawing a line when negotiating with Lombo's camp and refusing to step over that line.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Lombardi's history of concussions is enough to scare me away. It was probably a factor in the Don drawing a line when negotiating with Lombo's camp and refusing to step over that line.
To be fair he had seven years between concussions. And the second didn't occur until after he left. I doubt a six year old concussion was on the mind of Maloney during contract talks.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Kaizen

The Don uses every available factor whenever possible so the fact a player had a concussion (concussions?) in his past would have been very much relevent.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:35 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
It's a gamble like any other. You are gambling that being another year removed from the concussion, with his first proper offseason of conditioning, and his first proper training camp since the injury will pay off and he will be able to find his game again. That he will be able to again become the player he became in Phoenix, for Dave Tippett. You'd be betting that removing him from the circus in Toronto and putting him back in a familiar, structured, low key environment is just the thing he needs to make a full recovery and reclaim the promising career he had before he left us.

Also, he's a known commodity. We know a lot about him. Here are some things we know; that he likes playing in Phoenix and has played well here, that he likes playing for Tippett and has played well for him, that he will be cheap to acquire, and that he only has one year left on his contract.

Low, low risk, medium to high reward.
Does the Don black-list players who go out searching for money?

I mean, it seems like the Winnik thing and other arbitration hearings usually don't result in a positive impact for player or club, and the only person whom we have brought back in Michalek - he wasn't out for the money. We offered him the same money per year that Pittsburgh did, he just wanted stability.

There is a big part of me that says that if we really wanted Lombardi in the fold, then a deal like this would have been made already. Either Toronto does not want to give him up, or we are just as concerned about him getting back to full strength.

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post

I mean, it seems like the Winnik thing and other arbitration hearings usually don't result in a positive impact for player or club, and the only person whom we have brought back in Michalek - he wasn't out for the money. We offered him the same money per year that Pittsburgh did, he just wanted stability.

There is a big part of me that says that if we really wanted Lombardi in the fold, then a deal like this would have been made already. Either Toronto does not want to give him up, or we are just as concerned about him getting back to full strength.
Z left for greener pastures, too. As did Vrbata. We reacquired both, so I'd say there's at least a chance we would be willing to welcome back Lombo.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:02 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post

GMDM has said on several occasions that they want players who want to play here. I don't know if you can equate that to a black list for those that seek more income. He's stepped up and paid players what they are worth (see your favorite - Yandle) and not been willing to overpay players like Winnik, Lombardi and Bryzgalov.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:04 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Z left for greener pastures, too. As did Vrbata. We reacquired both, so I'd say there's at least a chance we would be willing to welcome back Lombo.
Is Lombardi still playing on the contract he left here for?

And wasn't he replaced by a guy named Whitney?

Last edited by kihekah19: 08-11-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: 2nd question
kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:55 PM
DesertDawg

Lombardi asked for more money, Maloney said to try free agency, so he can see what his value really was. Whitney contacted Maloney asking if he would want Whitney on the Coyotes. Maloney signed Whitney. Lombardi found out what his value was and asked Maloney to take him back. Unfortunately for the Coyotes, they were pretty much at their limit and couldn't sign Lombardi then (remember Maloney did not do anything during the trade deadline because of the budget).

I just think that Connolly would be a better fit than Lombardi, but both would be an upgrade of Langkow. The new CBA may give the Coyotes other opportunities, but IMO, Connolly and Lombardi may be acquired for what would be relatively cheap and I doubt that Maloney would be willing to trade a player or future player.

Old
08-11-2012, 03:22 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Is Petr Sykora still available?

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote