HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012 Coyotes Off-Season Thread (part 2)

Old
08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
BUX7PHX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
GMDM has said on several occasions that they want players who want to play here. I don't know if you can equate that to a black list for those that seek more income. He's stepped up and paid players what they are worth (see your favorite - Yandle) and not been willing to overpay players like Winnik, Lombardi and Bryzgalov.
Maybe I did not phrase the question properly.

Michalek left due to stability, we offered a similar amount if dollars per year on the contract, so I don't know if that describes leaving for more money. Vrbata left before Tippett was coach, so it is hard to say what Gretzky's valuation of Vrbata was. Clearly, Maloney liked him, but it seems that those two cases are not directly related to either salary or even how Tippett and Don view players.

I guess that is where my question needs to get expounded upon - is it that Maloney writes off certain players who exceed what he believes to be market value, but is welcoming if the value remains similar to what the team feels about a certain player?

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:56 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

I don't think Lombardi comes back. However, if he does, we all owe rt a beer and a kiss from our significant other.

RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Maybe I did not phrase the question properly.

Michalek left due to stability, we offered a similar amount if dollars per year on the contract, so I don't know if that describes leaving for more money. Vrbata left before Tippett was coach, so it is hard to say what Gretzky's valuation of Vrbata was. Clearly, Maloney liked him, but it seems that those two cases are not directly related to either salary or even how Tippett and Don view players.

I guess that is where my question needs to get expounded upon - is it that Maloney writes off certain players who exceed what he believes to be market value, but is welcoming if the value remains similar to what the team feels about a certain player?
Vrbata left for the extra year.

08-11-2012, 07:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I don't think Lombardi comes back. However, if he does, we all owe rt a beer and a kiss from our significant other.
Meh, I'm not dying to have him back, or anything. I just think he'd be decent gamble that could be had without sacrificing valuable pieces. I'd be fine with Connolly, too. I am interested to see what else becomes available with a new cba.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:18 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Vrbata left for the extra year.
As well as the NTC. Which was the deal breaker for Maloney.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Lombardi asked for more money, Maloney said to try free agency, so he can see what his value really was. Whitney contacted Maloney asking if he would want Whitney on the Coyotes. Maloney signed Whitney. Lombardi found out what his value was and asked Maloney to take him back. Unfortunately for the Coyotes, they were pretty much at their limit and couldn't sign Lombardi then (remember Maloney did not do anything during the trade deadline because of the budget).

I just think that Connolly would be a better fit than Lombardi, but both would be an upgrade of Langkow. The new CBA may give the Coyotes other opportunities, but IMO, Connolly and Lombardi may be acquired for what would be relatively cheap and I doubt that Maloney would be willing to trade a player or future player.
We got Klesla that deadline, who was on a long-term deal.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:27 PM
drgregg
millenials get off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Not to be pedantic, but in that trade Upshall and Lepisto were sent the other way because the trade had to be dollar for dollar, there was no room in the budget for additional contracts.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:43 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Technically, Maloney was searching for a shut down d'man pretty much the whole season. Lombardi and Upshall had chemistry and it was questionable that the Coyotes' roster were improved by it (at that time). I wouldn't say the Coyotes were in the buyer mode and could have used Upshall for the playoffs instead of the BJs losing him at the end of the season.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:42 AM
DesertDawg

Brule went to Zürich, Switzerland.

Old
08-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Technically, Maloney was searching for a shut down d'man pretty much the whole season. Lombardi and Upshall had chemistry and it was questionable that the Coyotes' roster were improved by it (at that time). I wouldn't say the Coyotes were in the buyer mode and could have used Upshall for the playoffs instead of the BJs losing him at the end of the season.
wasnt there a need for a defensemen with jovo going down for an extended period of time? I dont recall needing another dman all year. Wasnt there speculation that upshall wouldnt resign or that he was asking more than maloney was willing to offer so that was one reason maloney was willing to part with him. Along with the fact he wasnt as effective after returning from his injury.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Brule went to Zürich, Switzerland.
Im surprised he didnt get a shot somewhere. It looked like we were going a different way when we signed Conner and Johnson but it seems like somebody would have been willing to give him a shot.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:16 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
It Finally Happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
wasnt there a need for a defensemen with jovo going down for an extended period of time? I dont recall needing another dman all year. Wasnt there speculation that upshall wouldnt resign or that he was asking more than maloney was willing to offer so that was one reason maloney was willing to part with him. Along with the fact he wasnt as effective after returning from his injury.
My memory is so hazy on stuff like this, and your post inspired me (well that and boredom) to go check out the thread from when it happened.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=884327

Going by my own hazy memory and that thread I think it comes down to 3 things.

1. The team absolutely needed a defensive defense man. The D was quite depleted without Z and an aging Jovo.
2. They could only make dollar for dollar deals so shipping out UFA/RFA guys for a D with years of control was a solid move.
3. The point about being able to re-sign him.

Also as a side note, Lepisto played pretty well here and most people seemed to like him better than Schlemko. I know I did and a lot of people in the thread lamented the loss of Lepisto.

Yet it seems pretty clear now that DM/DT saw the potential log jam at D and they always seemed to favor David over Sami anyway so he was included. Turned out to be a sell high move and they were right. Go figure that they knew more than we did

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:54 AM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Meh, I'm not dying to have him back, or anything. I just think he'd be decent gamble that could be had without sacrificing valuable pieces. I'd be fine with Connolly, too. I am interested to see what else becomes available with a new cba.
I would try to keep him away from us for as long as he is a player. The conscussions and streaky play are what led buffalo from not resigning him. The kid had potential and just never reached it.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We don't need him to reach his potential. We don't even need him to live up to his contract. We just need him to be a half decent special team contributor for one season and then move on.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
awfulwaffle

Let's say Doan moves on and goes to another team, and the cap floor stays where it's expected to be, and both sides agree on a new CBA. What are we going to do to reach that floor?

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
DesertDawg

I rather think about Doan re-signing, the cap floor gets lowered, but I do hope the CBA is agreed upon before 9/15...

Old
08-20-2012, 12:53 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Hey Coyotes fans, Canucks fan here.

Just wondering if I could get a rough outline from any fan who's willing to give me one, on the Coyotes current roster situation. Where you feel you're stacked in depth as well as you feel you could use more. Any pieces that you think could really help set this team together?

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:09 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post

Just wondering if I could get a rough outline from any fan who's willing to give me one, on the Coyotes current roster situation. Where you feel you're stacked in depth as well as you feel you could use more. Any pieces that you think could really help set this team together?
Stacked on D, I think that we have 10 that could legitimately play in the NHL next year. (OEL, Yandle, Klesla, Michalek, Morris, Schlemko, Stone, Summers, Rundblad, Gormley)

Even if (when) Doan re-signs, we could still use either a top 6 wing or center...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:17 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post

OEL and Yandle are pretty close to untouchable. Have a lot of defensive depth (Stone, Schlemko, Summers, Rundblad, Gormley) with Top 4 potential. Gormley and Rundblad are our top defensive prospects, so it'll be harder to move them.

We're definitely in need of Top 6 forwards (though they have to not be total defensive liabilities).

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:26 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
OEL and Yandle are pretty close to untouchable. Have a lot of defensive depth (Stone, Schlemko, Summers, Rundblad, Gormley) with Top 4 potential. Gormley and Rundblad are our top defensive prospects, so it'll be harder to move them.

We're definitely in need of Top 6 forwards (though they have to not be total defensive liabilities).
I think Yandle and OEL could be in the 100-120 point area combined this year, anyone else think this is likely or possible?

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:01 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I think Yandle and OEL could be in the 100-120 point area combined this year, anyone else think this is likely or possible?
If they can combine for 100 points while still playing effective defense, I'd be very happy. I think its in the realm of possibility, esp. if OEL can develop some chemistry with Z right out of the gate.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
If they can combine for 100 points while still playing effective defense, I'd be very happy. I think its in the realm of possibility, esp. if OEL can develop some chemistry with Z right out of the gate.
Pretty sure Michalek is going to be playing with Yandle on that top line.

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:49 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
It Finally Happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
So long as the PP doesn't blow ass, yeah it's possible.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:40 AM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Pretty sure Michalek is going to be playing with Yandle on that top line.
In an interview after we brought Michalek back, i could've sworn i heard they were planning on pairing Michalek with OEL.

RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:32 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Yeah I was aware of your stupidly stupendous defensive depth.

Do you think something could be done around Booth/Gormley or Runblad?

I'm not good enough at making proposals to know what would even it out either way, but if Booth isn't a player you'd be interested in taking a place in your top 6 then it doesn't really merit discussion anyways.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote