HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/CBJ] Nick Foligno for Marc Methot

Old
07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
SprDaVE

vCash: 500
The trade itself isn't overly bad, all though Foligno to me is more valuable..

...it's the reasoning behind the trade that is terrifying.

Latendresse has played less than 30 games in the last 2 season and he's expected to replace a solid player? What?

Terrible reasoning.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Stephen

Good deal for Columbus, glad to get Foligno out of the division...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Elever
Hth

Turris had good chemistry with Foligno, not sure why he was moved.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:02 PM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
As a Leafs fan, I approve.
You won't so approve when Methot crushed Kessel into the injury list.

It's a good deal for both club, Ottawa needed a physical defensive D more than they needed Foligno.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
If you've seen Methot play you'll know he'll never catch a guy as fast as Phil

CBJ wins a trade? Wow, sounds weird to say.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Stephen

Quote:

It's a good deal for both club, Ottawa needed a physical defensive D more than they needed Foligno.
Kessel probably breaks Methot's ankles with his speed...

Old
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

I have seen Methot play and don't worry Methot will let Phil come to him and then Bang down goes Kessel.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:14 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
I have seen Methot play and don't worry Methot will let Phil come to him and then Bang down goes Kessel.
Yeah he's been crushing a ton of stars for years! That little Kessel is gonna get it!

Wait...

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Stephen

Quote:
What's more likely is Kessel is going to drive at him hard, go inside out on him, and snipe one right over Craig Anderson's shoulder into the top corner. A few times.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
tantalum

I don't mind Methot, but I can't help but think the Sens got destroyed in this trade.

Columbus did well in getting a fairly young forward full of P and V that will put up 50ish points for them.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
I don't mind Methot, but I can't help but think the Sens got destroyed in this trade.

Columbus did well in getting a fairly young forward full of P and V that will put up 50ish points for them.
The Sens were the 4th best offence vs. the Jacket's 26th ranked offence. Foligno isn't putting up 50 points, you can count on that.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
mark3361

Ottawa was robbed. stop protesting and just accept it

mark3361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
I watched Methot play in Syracuse years ago, and have been watching his progression on Columbus every now and then. The Senators will get a very reliable defenseman on a good contract. To sign someone of Methot's ilk in free agency would have cost Murray more in cap hit and cap hit is a commodity.

It sucks to lose an energy player like Foligno because he is a good bottom six forward that can help out in the top six whenever an injury occurs. Both teams got the player they wanted, but it will be hard to lose Foligno as he will be harder to replace down the road for what he brings to the team.
While it may be accurate to say signing a defenseman as a UFA would have cost more, you are the first to say the bolded. The cap hit may only be $3MM but with the escallating contract it's not very good moneyspent on a d-man of is ilk - as you say.

I think Methot will do well in Ottawa but I think Columbus is glad to be out from under the contract and with their depth on defense it appears this should be a good deal for both teams. Hope Meth lives up to his contract terms...

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:14 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
foligno had the same number as even-strength points as:
Kunitz, Michalek, Franzen, Semin, Burrows

and more than:
E. Staal, D. Sedin, B. Richards, Ovechkin, Pavelski, Alfredsson, Grabovski, Marleau... etc. (including rick nash and vinny prospal).

He did that with 13 minutes of ES TOI per game. Yes, he only had 4 power play points in 1:20 a game, but that's because he's not a PP type of player, and also our 2nd PP unit sucked.

Give him 16 minutes a game like most 1st liners get and he'll get 60 points.

I'm not upset we traded foligno, because yes, we do have guys coming in who can fill his role. I'm not upset we got methot, because he is a guy we need and i think he'll fit well. I'm pissed we traded foligno for just methot. We could have got a better defenseman, or methot+.

07-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Ho Borvat

You would think a lot of teams would be willing to pay a bit of a premium for a guy like Foligno.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

I'm afraid you are terrible wrong. Methot is a very quick defender with pretty solid top speed. He isn't the fastest in the league, but I'd argue that he is up there with the 2nd tier of speedsters in the league. He has wheels.

I don't agree that this is a bad trade for Ottawa. While I'm not a giant Methot fan, he is a solid defender. If I had to make a comparison I'd say he is a poor man's Bowmeester. He isn't going to wow you with this game, he's a solid skater, he has a hard wrister that he never uses, he's smart positionally and I would feel comfortable playing him 18-20 minutes a night. He's a great #4 defender that probably has top upside as an Average #3 guy. A change of scenery for Methot might be huge for his game, it might change up his style a little and encourage him to use his offensive tools a little more and maybe even show a more physical side. He never wowed in Columbus, but he was solid for a few years now. I like the trade for both teams. Foligno I don't think carries more value than a top notch #4 defender that can still develop into a #3 defender. Both teams got something they wanted, and while Methot is overpaid, in a 70 million cap era he makes what he should make (around 2.5 I would say is solid value when he signed the contract). Foligno might have had a little more value, so Columbus probably did win in that respect, but I don't think there is enough difference in value to think that another team could offer a better trade option.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:43 PM
guyzeur

2 points here:

How much would be the value of Foligno's next contract? He was probably asking for a good raise.

Latendresseis replacing Foligno's salary.

please provide me 2 or 3 defenseman names of equal value for Foligno AND that these teams would have been willing to trade for.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:52 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
The trade itself isn't overly bad, all though Foligno to me is more valuable..

...it's the reasoning behind the trade that is terrifying.

Latendresse has played less than 30 games in the last 2 season and he's expected to replace a solid player? What?

Terrible reasoning.
It's worse than that.

4 out of the Sens' expected top-6 players are historical sicknotes.

Spezza
Michalek
Alfredsson
Latendresse

could all miss 20+ games, and it wouldn't be a season out of the ordinary.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:56 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
I watched Methot play in Syracuse years ago, and have been watching his progression on Columbus every now and then. The Senators will get a very reliable defenseman on a good contract. To sign someone of Methot's ilk in free agency would have cost Murray more in cap hit and cap hit is a commodity.

It sucks to lose an energy player like Foligno because he is a good bottom six forward that can help out in the top six whenever an injury occurs. Both teams got the player they wanted, but it will be hard to lose Foligno as he will be harder to replace down the road for what he brings to the team.
Solid post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
I would agree, but would also argue that he agitates not by design, but just because of his style of play when he's on his game.

However, I see 50+ point potential under A good coach in the right situation.
We've all seen that for years in Ottawa. It just never happened.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
n0rthstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I'm afraid you are terrible wrong. Methot is a very quick defender with pretty solid top speed. He isn't the fastest in the league, but I'd argue that he is up there with the 2nd tier of speedsters in the league. He has wheels.

I don't agree that this is a bad trade for Ottawa. While I'm not a giant Methot fan, he is a solid defender. If I had to make a comparison I'd say he is a poor man's Bowmeester. He isn't going to wow you with this game, he's a solid skater, he has a hard wrister that he never uses, he's smart positionally and I would feel comfortable playing him 18-20 minutes a night. He's a great #4 defender that probably has top upside as an Average #3 guy. A change of scenery for Methot might be huge for his game, it might change up his style a little and encourage him to use his offensive tools a little more and maybe even show a more physical side. He never wowed in Columbus, but he was solid for a few years now. I like the trade for both teams. Foligno I don't think carries more value than a top notch #4 defender that can still develop into a #3 defender. Both teams got something they wanted, and while Methot is overpaid, in a 70 million cap era he makes what he should make (around 2.5 I would say is solid value when he signed the contract). Foligno might have had a little more value, so Columbus probably did win in that respect, but I don't think there is enough difference in value to think that another team could offer a better trade option.

Thanks, I really do feel a lot better now, I hope you're right!

n0rthstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:48 PM
HSF

pretty ntohing deal a 2nd rate forward for a 2nd rate defensemen

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Damn... I would have loved Foligno on the B's

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
BK201

Foligno is a 40 point 10-15 goal guy. I think 5 of his 15 were empty nets this year. The real problem with Foligno is that he can play one game like a first liner and the next 3 like a third liner.

He has flashes of high end skill but is extremely inconsistent. His physical play and agitator around the net are great. He can fall victim of trying to do to much but when it works out he usually comes up with a scoring chance.

It's been highly debated were he really slots in but basically he is a decent second third line tweener that leaves you wanting more.

I would be surprised if he got 50 points next year expect 35 to 45.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:47 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Too lazy to see if this has been brought up but from quickly glancing at the trade BJs seem like the clear winners but Ottawa said at the draft when they drafted Ceci that they want to bring more local talent in and Methot is from Ottawa. Also Ottawa does have potential top 6 prospects ready to make the jump and needed another decent NHL defender. SO all in all Ottawa moved a good forward for a decent defender, hockey trade.

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Sureves

This trade is ****ing ********

Sureves is online now   Reply With Quote