HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[LAK] Dustin Penner [1 year, $3.25M cap hit]

Old
07-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
Short on cap space isn't what I meant, limited on cap space is more what I meant to say. It's okay for them though since they have a pretty damn complete roster.
It's a friggin' one year deal. They have over $8M in cap space. How does this hurt them? Look at what other UFAs who play lesser roles are getting paid.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Crown Royal

Hadn't realized it until today but Penner's 2012 playoff numbers with LA were better than his playoff numbers with Anaheim in 2007.

Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

If he plays like **** I will throw up lol

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:54 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Good. Now all we have to do is re-sign King and we're set.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Looks like a "thanks for helping us a win a cup but you gotta prove yourself over a whole season before we commit to more than one year" type contract.

IHOP and Mrs. Butterworth are pretty stoked about this contract though.
yeah... and i think it's fair - pretty sure he did as well.

not to mention the fact that he'd feel more pressure having to prove himself in a new system elsewhere... which is something he can probably do without - just focusing on getting his game back to where it was during the playoffs.

i'm glad he's back. he's a helluva character with a great attitude.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:56 PM
JCabranes

Quote:
3M is a ridiculous amount, especially for a team short on cap space like the Kings.
Kings aren't short of cap space. They are 8.6 Million under the cap with 23 signed for the upcoming season (that includes Penner).

JCabranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Beerfish

Penner is an enigma, when playing right he is a true power forward with soft hands. Perhaps now that he has shed the ex wifes pancakes he will play better for a full year.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
zar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
So basically, we have $8 million to re-sign Dwight King and then the entire cup winning roster is back for another year. How is this bad?
Same team that was also 3 losses away from missing the playoffs.

Watching him in Edmonton for a couple years, Penner can be one of the premier power forwards in the league.... if he wanted to be. Unfortunately, he only wants to be that player in 10 games out of 82.

He is supposed to be a great guy in the dressing room and is funny as hell... I wish him all the best.

zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I'm happy.

I was hoping for a lower hit with longer term or a lower hit with greater incentives because if he goes back to the 25 goal-35 assist Penner (that type of player and play he's capable of), it will be even more points with Carter and Richards on the same line. If he has incentives to pump him up to 4.25 and makes them, it would have been a bargain.

But a one year deal is good too.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:05 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I'm happy.

I was hoping for a lower hit with longer term or a lower hit with greater incentives because if he goes back to the 25 goal-35 assist Penner (that type of player and play he's capable of), it will be even more points with Carter and Richards on the same line. If he has incentives to pump him up to 4.25 and makes them, it would have been a bargain.

- R
He's not eligible for incentives. Only rookies and players over the age of 35 can have bonuses in their contracts.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zar View Post

Watching him in Edmonton for a couple years, Penner can be one of the premier power forwards in the league.... if he wanted to be. Unfortunately, he only wants to be that player in 10 games out of 82.

He is supposed to be a great guy in the dressing room and is funny as hell... I wish him all the best.
Regular season pre sutter means nothing. A one year deal when the kings have a lot of cap space is a perfect deal for penner and for the kings. There is Nothing not to like about this signing.

How many cup winning teams have been able to bring back the entire roster and still have the car space to sign a top liner?

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:10 PM
gambitlebo

Quote:

The reason the Kings struggled had a lot to do with coaching. Their defense was great, but their offense was shackled with no room to be creative. DS came in and said the only thing he changed was allowing the players to be creative offensively, even while being short handed.

The players even hinted at feeling more comfortable being allowed to play the game instead of not making mistakes and playing nothing but defense.

As far as Penner, on the Kings he isn't asked to lead the team. He doesn't have that pressure and with the personal issues done with, he can play with Richards and Carter without feeling like the weight of the team is on his shoulders.

I'm confident he can easily get back to 25 goals on the second line.

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Crown Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I'm happy.

- R
The one year deal probably has as much to do with Quick having another year left on his current contract at 1.8 mil. Deano could comfortably afford the one year gamble on Penner at a mil less than last year. It also gives Penner a year to show his performance in the playoffs can carry over to this coming season.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:16 PM
MattFromFranklin
#FireSweeneyandNeely

I actually liked the way he played with Richards and Carter in the playoffs. Didn't think he'd get $3.25 Million/Year, thought it would be for around $2.25 Million/Year, though.

MattFromFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
3M for 7 goals?

okay.
And yet the Canucks will be paying at least $4.5 mill for Booth for the next 3 seasons.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
The same team that was one of the best in the regular season under Sutter, and obviously THE best in the playoffs.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
KingsCourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
And yet the Canucks will be paying at least $4.5 mill for Booth for the next 3 seasons.
Lol...

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
better hope its playoff penner

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:27 PM
kingsofLA

Quote:

And the last 41 games played ( regular and playoffs) with new a coach and Carter, LA was something crazy like 29-9.
I do not mind Penner flanking the left wing on Richards line, he adds the big body to drive the net and cash in on juicy rebound from Carter crazy wrist shots

kingsofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Crown Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Snap!

Old
07-01-2012, 03:30 PM
kingsfanman

I'm predicting 30+ goals

kingsfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:32 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
better hope its playoff penner
it's a ONE YEAR deal!

for Pete's sake, people. they just won the Cup, and he played a big role. he was rewarded with caution.

i can't see how anyone in their right mind can possibly believe this deal is going to hamstring the Kings in any way, shape or form.

Stoll, Fraser and Penner ALL played big roles on this run, and all took a pay cut to keep the band together... is character outdated?

i don't care if Penner scores 7-goals for the remainder of his career.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Crown Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofLA View Post
And the last 41 games played ( regular and playoffs) with new a coach and Carter, LA was something crazy like 29-9.
I'm wondering if Sutter is gonna make them stay in hotels for all of their home games next season too.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
I actually liked the way he played with Richards and Carter in the playoffs. Didn't think he'd get $3.25 Million/Year, thought it would be for around $2.25 Million/Year, though.
2.25M? Are you kidding? Penner would have EASILY received 4+ million from a team in need of a big, power forward who can score....

Penner 100% took a discount to stay with the Kings for an extra year....

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
He's a one time 30 goal scorer.

He has 30 goals in the past 2 seasons.

He's not the player he used to be.

GM's shouldn't be signing players based on a solid 2 months and past seasonal performances.

3M is a ridiculous amount, especially for a team short on cap space like the Kings.
I also think Penner's playoff performance is getting a tad overrated but even I think this is a ridiculous comment.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote