HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Marc Methot for Nick Foligno -- NEW: Foligno signs 3-year deal (p7)

Old
07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Hugg

vCash: 500
Absolutely love this trade.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:08 PM
MFRONE

Am I the only one who thinks this trade was really made so JJ can wear #3 next season?

Doubt the Blue Line will be doing number swaps on old Carter sweaters.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this trade was really made so JJ can wear #3 next season?
That would be possibly the strangest trade reasoning in pro sports history.

Quote:
Doubt the Blue Line will be doing number swaps on old Carter sweaters.
Demand that Foligno wear #7 next year as part of negotiations.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:16 PM
MFRONE

Something had to give, guy switched his number yet kept the same Twitter handle.

In all fairness, great trade but the Jackets still need to get another veteran dman via free agency.

Also, the Jackets FB post of the trade is hilarious. Methot-lovers think the world is ending because of this deal.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:17 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@RobMixer: As far as jersey numbers go, Foligno has worn both 17 and 71 during his #NHL career. His dad (Mike) donned 17, as well. #CBJ”

“@RobMixer: And by that I mean Nick wears 71 in honor of his dad's 17. Nick hasn't sported 17 during his #NHL career.”

Since 17 is taken it would be a good bet he keeps 71.

07-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Of note:

Foligno had 15 goals and 47 points this past season, which would have placed him third on the Jackets in scoring. He also threw 196 hits. We need more battlers like this!
Lots of good stuff in this thread but I'll quote this because it succinctly highlights why I've been on the "acquire Foligno" bandwagon for a year or more. This is the kind of player the CBJ should be adding.

He will likely see top 6 time because of the construction of the remainder of the roster, but he's a mix-and-match guy who can play on a big-boy 3rd line, as many have said. I like mt's comparison to Umby - although I won't say Foligno's flat-out better. He plays a more physical game, with some attitude, but I don't think he's quite as offensively prolific as RJU.

Also, I've long been one of MM's staunchest supports, but he was getting paid too much money and has not proven reliable enough for the role which the CBJ needed him to play. Best of lukc to him in his hometown.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:59 PM
mcnorth

Enjoy Foligno, guys. As far as I'm concerned the Jackets burned us again. Total steal for you. Not at all happy with this deal for the Sens (and I like Methot).

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:01 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@Aportzline: Foligno: "I play an exciting brand of hockey, and I'm excited to bring that to Columbus." Says he's excited to play with #CBJ Jack Johnson.”

“@RobMixer: Foligno said he got a welcome text from #CBJ D James Wisniewski after learning of the trade.”

“@Aportzline: Foligno, an RFA, said he had no serious discussions with Ottawa about a new deal. Hopes to get it rolling with #CBJ in the coming weeks.”

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:02 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Lets not forget that #3 isn't a commodity... it represents something more... I believe Methot wore it to honor Ryan Salmons, so if Jack takes it over, I'd like to see that honor continue, not just because he wore it in L.A.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Cyclones Rock

Great dual move. Dumping Methot and his mediocrity and relatively hefty contract for a decent forward with some grit combined with the Aucoin signing and it's a double winner.

I'm almost willing to forgive Patrick for allowing Howson to sign Boll to a 2 year deal.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Lets not forget that #3 isn't a commodity... it represents something more... I believe Methot wore it to honor Ryan Salmons, so if Jack takes it over, I'd like to see that honor continue, not just because he wore it in L.A.
It would be shocking to me if JMFJ didn't 'get it' with regards to Salmons and #3.

That said, I had heard #33 at some point as well in terms of next season...

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:17 PM
SoCalJacketsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post

Also, the Jackets FB post of the trade is hilarious. Methot-lovers think the world is ending because of this deal.
The comments on the FB page have also included suggestions that we get Brodeur because we need a better goaltender... great stuff...

SoCalJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I honestly thought Foligno was worthless until this year, similar to my idea of Dorsett before he started figuring out his role. Regardless, I like moving Methot for him. He'll fill a top-six hole nicely.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Methot wore number three before he had anything to do with Ryan Salmons as far as I know.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:27 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
“@Aportzline: Foligno: "I play an exciting brand of hockey, and I'm excited to bring that to Columbus." Says he's excited to play with #CBJ Jack Johnson.”

“@RobMixer: Foligno said he got a welcome text from #CBJ D James Wisniewski after learning of the trade.”

“@Aportzline: Foligno, an RFA, said he had no serious discussions with Ottawa about a new deal. Hopes to get it rolling with #CBJ in the coming weeks.”
Very nice.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:30 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Nick was our weatherman.
Better take a look at this now as it may he coming off the Sens site soon:

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...sole?id=137540

By the way I think Nick is the kind of player who will be a fan favourite wherever he goes.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:31 PM
SoCalJacketsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
Methot wore number three before he had anything to do with Ryan Salmons as far as I know.
This. He was quoted as "happy to lend #3" to Salmons when he was signed, as I recall.

SoCalJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:37 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
The earliest I remember Methot wearing 3 was the playoffs, before then I can't recall

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:50 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Thank you thank you thank you Craig.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Meth wore #2 pretty much his whole career...I thought he took it to honor Ryan as well...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Speedy Sanderson

Great signing by Howson. Foligno's not going to solve our scoring issues, but he's going to pot more than his fair share and bring it on a nightly basis. Anyone else thinking effort's not going to be an issue with this team on a nightly basis (note I didn't say lack of talent, goaltending, etc.).

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Nick Foligno

Very happy for this trade, I think Foligno can bring some scoring punch and some grit, and is decent return for Marc Methot. Methot's still very young, and can play a good shutdown game. Plenty of upside for both players in different environments

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

I liked Methot, but if Foligno can provide a spark and score some goals, welcome to Cbus!

Methot's best game in my opinion was New Years Eve 2011 against #8. He was holding Ovechkin away from the puck, shutting him down. Pretty strong play that night by Marc. Then Arniel changed the matchups, and Ovie got hot. I remember screaming and yelling that night. Marc played an outstanding game.

Good luck to him in Ottawa. Great community guy, Methot. Sounds like Foligno is too.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:24 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I honestly thought Foligno was worthless until this year, similar to my idea of Dorsett before he started figuring out his role. Regardless, I like moving Methot for him. He'll fill a top-six hole nicely.
Folgino looked good this season because he had a good coach and a good center to play with. He was barely a top 6 and spent a good amount of time in the bottom 6 and even some time in the dog house in the bottom 3. I'd say this was a fairly even trade and some experts like Scott Cullen are saying that Ottawa got the better deal with Methot. We will see if Foligno has reached his potential or if he will continue to develop... either way I'm not to worried about losing him off our roster, nor am I worried about Methot playing a top 4 role on defense.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote