HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Marc Methot for Nick Foligno -- NEW: Foligno signs 3-year deal (p7)

Old
07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
I liked Methot, but if Foligno can provide a spark and score some goals, welcome to Cbus!

Methot's best game in my opinion was New Years Eve 2011 against #8. He was holding Ovechkin away from the puck, shutting him down. Pretty strong play that night by Marc. Then Arniel changed the matchups, and Ovie got hot. I remember screaming and yelling that night. Marc played an outstanding game.

Good luck to him in Ottawa. Great community guy, Methot. Sounds like Foligno is too.

This sounds about right... good and balanced.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
We just got completely screwed over. I don't know how that just happened. I still can't believe it, but i wish foligno all the best with you guys.
There was a 10-15 game stretch last yr before we got turris that foligno played 2nd line center and he played unbelievable. Physical, skated the puck up and down the ice and was a point per game. Was our best player in my opinion while he was playing center. Then we made the trade for turris and he took over. Turris struggled, but for some reason foligno got bumped around the bottom 6. If iwas him i would have been completely pissed. He still managed to get 47 pts.!

Hopefully he gets a big role there so he can really shine. Guy is a competitor. You're going to love him.

**** our gm!

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
not sure if you guys have noticed yet, but nick foligno was 52nd in the league among forwards for even-strength points. He played only 13minutes a game at ES (most of the other guys in the top 90 play closer to 16 minutes).

Give him top line minutes and he'll score 60 points. He's not great on the powerplay (4 points last year), but he can PK, ottawa coaches just havnt used him there (and he's usually the one in the box).

If he manages to stay disciplined (lots of stupid minors) and gets good icetime, you guys will love him. Seriously underrated player both in ottawa and around the league - people hold his first round draft position against him and expect more, without realizing he's pretty damn good as it is.

07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

The Ottawa fans on the Ottawa boards have convinced themselves Methot is good.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:09 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 160
I love this trade. But I will miss Methot.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:21 PM
bizzz

I also think that Methot can be good. Not great, but very serviceable, reliable defensive guy. He is a bit overpaid, but that's about it. I remember the year when he won the Memorial Cup with London. He shot down Crosby and scored a pair of goals. He looked better than Girardi on that Knigts team. Good luck in Ottawa and thanks for the nice return.

bizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I love this trade. But I will miss Methot.
agree 100%

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
Very happy for this trade, I think Foligno can bring some scoring punch and some grit, and is decent return for Marc Methot. Methot's still very young, and can play a good shutdown game. Plenty of upside for both players in different environments
This. We addressed a need of a positionally-sound, big-bodied, not prone to many mistakes, defensive-minded defenseman with reasonable mobility to replace Kuba beside Karlsson and we have a glut of forward prospects, with 4-5 players ready to take Foligno's place in the lineup, so we needed to make space for at least one of them. Nick's a good player but asset management is a must in the modern NHL. Hopefully Methot can fit well on our D and he's cheaper and younger than Kuba. I think this is a win-win trade for both teams and those are the best trades IMHO.

dennilfloss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
This. We addressed a need of a positionally-sound, big-bodied, not prone to many mistakes, defensive-minded defenseman with reasonable mobility to replace Kuba beside Karlsson and we have a glut of forward prospects, with 4-5 players ready to take Foligno's place in the lineup, so we needed to make space for at least one of them. Nick's a good player but asset management is a must in the modern NHL. Hopefully Methot can fit well on our D and he's cheaper and younger than Kuba. I think this is a win-win trade for both teams and those are the best trades IMHO.
That's how I see it. All players and teams involved could be winners in this trade.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Decent. We didn't really need Methot anymore so it works out.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=80212
Great trade, I have always liked Methot but with the needs of the new CBJ defense moving Methot is no surprise. Foligno brings a hockey pedigree to Columbus, just ask his dad or brother, btw, look for a jump after his first CBJ goal.

He may play left wing on our first line......... (second or third line on better teams)

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Agree

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Kashew

I like this trade a lot. Maybe the Blue Jackets will have a more calm, deliberate offseason. Or not.

Kashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:04 AM
CaliBuck
Mission: Playoffs

Maybe Howson does have the ability to do something right...

CaliBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:44 AM
CrazyCanucks

Looks like a good trade for the CBJ

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:53 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
not sure if you guys have noticed yet, but nick foligno was 52nd in the league among forwards for even-strength points. He played only 13minutes a game at ES (most of the other guys in the top 90 play closer to 16 minutes).

Give him top line minutes and he'll score 60 points. He's not great on the powerplay (4 points last year), but he can PK, ottawa coaches just havnt used him there (and he's usually the one in the box).

If he manages to stay disciplined (lots of stupid minors) and gets good icetime, you guys will love him. Seriously underrated player both in ottawa and around the league - people hold his first round draft position against him and expect more, without realizing he's pretty damn good as it is.
Thanks for that info.

That is very impressive stuff.

On a team like the Jackets, Foligno will be in the top 6 and probably a goodly amount of PP time. It is possible that he could be a 60 point type player with the Jackets.

He was a very late first rounder and his performance for his drafting position is quite reasonable. He's got very good hockey bloodlines as well. While his father never lived up to his #3 overall draft position, he had a very solid career.

The trade seems to address the needs of both teams. A win-win for both.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets

IMO Methot was overpaid for what he brought to the table, so I'm glad to see someone else is willing to pay him instead of the Jackets. Best of luck to him in Ottawa.

After the Nash trade, the Jackets will need all the offense they can get, whether it's gritty or pretty. This deal should help towards that cause.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
I agree with this too. I think both teams realized there was a true hockey trade to be made here. I'm particularly happy with Methot being moved for the simple fact that paying a defenseman $3.75MM to play on your bottom pair - and potentially sit in the press box by that time - is a very bad situation to be in. Moving Methot later in his contract may have actually diminished his value with his escallating "real" dollars. The cap hit is fine but the real money is a head scratcher for me.

I wish him luck and think he'll fit in with ottawa. If he stays healthy maybe he puts it together and becomes a good 2nd pair guy for you.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Nordique

Seems like a pretty balanced trade to me, though when you factor in the $'s involved, it feels like a CBJ win. I hear alot about Foligno's top 6 potential and his lack of ice time in Ottawa, to be honest I can't say I've ever noticed the guy on the ice, but I've only seen a handful of Senators games over the last few seasons.

If he can become a 20 goal scorer, I feel like this trade is a win.

This trade is a vote of confidence in Murray, Moore, and Savard, nothing wrong with that.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Socks
HeadFake

I liked Meth a lot, I just felt (like most of you) that he was overpaid for what he brought to the ice.

And I like everything I've heard out of Foligno so far. I'll say this for Scotty - he's filling the room with heart-and-soul, balls to the walls kinda guys. I like this group more than I've liked a lot of previous groups.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
I liked Meth a lot, I just felt (like most of you) that he was overpaid for what he brought to the ice.

And I like everything I've heard out of Foligno so far. I'll say this for Scotty - he's filling the room with heart-and-soul, balls to the walls kinda guys. I like this group more than I've liked a lot of previous groups.
As I have posted previously, COMPETE is the name of the game. It isn't going to be the most talented group but it is shaping up to be the kind of team nobody is going to look forward to playing. Every point they get will be earned, and anything the opposition gets will have to be paid for.

I like it.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
I liked Meth a lot,
How did you get clean?

FWIW - My first post suggesting acquiring Foligno was in January 2011. Only took me half as long as it did with Vermette.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:44 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Looks like a good trade for the CBJ
Boy, you dont probably know new axioma in Columbus. Bad trades.... Howson mistake, good trades.... thanks Craig Patrick....

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:03 AM
650X2

lol@XGMDM in this Ottawa Sun article
http://t.co/T5ojY65J

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 533
As a Sens fan. Im very dissapointed. Nick was turning himself into a complete playoff style player. He was one of our top 2-3 players in the playoffs. He is 24 yrs old and has the ability to be a 20/30 guy easy with more ice time.

Pros...
- Undertated puck carrier
- Great along the boards
- Sometimes has unreal hands
- Produces throughout the lineup
- One of the few guys in Ottawa that would stick up for teamates
- Hits... Is pesky... Can fight
- Hockey pedigree

Notable youtube clips to watch
- Goal vs washington
- Hit and fight vs Phaneuf
- Hits + fight vs Vancouver
- Assist to Butler
- Pp goal vs Philly

Cons
- Inconsistent goal scorer
- Can take bad penalties

I wish him the best of luck in Columbus and hopefully he does well.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
lol@XGMDM in this Ottawa Sun article
http://t.co/T5ojY65J
Typically laughable.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote