HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Michael Haley (2 years @ 600K per, first year is two way)

Old
07-01-2012, 03:19 PM
CHGoalie27
CHGoalie27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
Well said.

As a Sound Tiger fan, I got to see Haley a lot since 07. He plays whatever role he's asked to play. He's not a goon by any means, he just sticks up for his teammates.

He's played a lot of roles in Bridgeport. When he first came up from the ECHL in 07, he was just a fighter trying to stay and get a contract. He's a character guy and he's evolved.

The past two seasons he's played on both the PP and PK logging more minutes on the PK. He lead the Sound Tigers in goals and points for a while in 10-11 and was a major part of that team. He sometimes played on their top line. He earned his call up and was told that his role was to agitate and fight.

In the summer of 11-12 he got shafted by the Isles brass. They went with Reasoner and Pandolfo (vet leadership). I wouldn't be surprised if that impacted his play this past season.

He's a 4th liner who can actually play a shift. He certainly could put up 10-15 pts.
Most helpful, thank you!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Can he skate? Shoot?block?

Maybe someone in management think's we didn't win the cup was cause we're so weak?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:51 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

MORE JAM!

If he gets stuck in Hartford, good. I don't really want to see him at the NHL level.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Haley is okay. Young and better than rupp

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Someone likes him;

@KatieStrangESPN: #NYR Re: Haley: first year of deal is a two-way deal, second year a one-way. IMO, toughest guy around pound-for-pound

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I like Haley signing better than he Asham signing

Me too. His fighting reminds me of George McPhee.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Haley is crazy. I love it. Getting nastier by the minute.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:17 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Haley can actually play, unlike Asham, and Rupp. Rupp was the biggest waste of 1.87 million I've seen aside from the fights.

I don't get why everyone is trashing this signing.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Haley can actually play, unlike Asham, and Rupp. Rupp was the biggest waste of 1.87 million I've seen aside from the fights.

Haley isn't bad from watching Him on the isles, he can play

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:50 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

Not me. I think he has potential. A heart and soul guy. Anybody who's played loves guys like this because they know there's someone who will always have their back. Whatever level you play at--unless it's a recreational (really) non checking league you need guys like this.

The other thing I don't think the Rangers sign this guy if he can't get up and down the ice. Konopka puts up 2 goals this regular season and posters here are targeting him as a possible 4th line center. There are different things that factor into why this guy or that.

It will be interesting to see what Torts gets out of him. I'm not making any predictions. At this point I see him kind of as a tweener. He could make the Rangers out of training camp. He might go to the AHL. I definitely see it as a worthwhile experiment. We're not going to be out a lot of $ if it fails.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:54 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

This signing for this number, as you say, is good, but also 'cause it means we can plan an exit for Rupp.

If I'm not mistaken, there was something on the big board about Edmonton desperate for an enforcer to protect their top Fs and now Schultz.

Rupp fits that to a 't'.
I don't know if I'd say he was as useless as you suggest, but he certainly didn't wow me. Still, compared to other bigger guys, he can skate enough... good fit for Oilers.

Before we move this to another thread, some preliminary thoughts: Rupp to Oilers.

Maybe
Boyle + Rupp + Stacjer + Pashnin + Rangers 2nd in 2013
for
Gernat + Marancin + Pitlick + Edmonton 1st 2013

Why for Edmonton:
Immediately get enforcer, Boyle good fit flexible F plays D w/offensive upside, scoring better outside Tort's system; prospect G to add to their mix; an x factor in Pashnin who, seeing he would not have as much competition on the backline, would make an effort to join their D first chance.

Why for NY
The 2 prospects are at least 2-3 years away, but these lefties are excellent bookend counterparts to our guys Noreau and Ceresniak. Would have to be patient the 2 years minimum, but could be a shrewd move. They are also big, and seem to be comparatively better as puck movers.

Pitlick is what we hoped for in Bourque. Fast, a little small, but looks good. 1 yr away. If we move Christian Thomas, this is a good replacement.

Stacjer being eclipsed by Talbot, so ok there.

Upgrade to 1st round pick, which if he we go by probabilities, Oilers not SC winners or last place, best case [for us] a top 5-7, worst case, 10 spots or so back of that.

Seems we can now let Rupp go; Boyle is productive, but worth it for the above, IMO.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I Am Classless

If Haley can forecheck, stick up for teammates and skate a little bit, he's a useful NHL player. His AHL points numbers are fine, too - not incredible, but he wouldn't be putting up that many if he didn't have some basic hockey talent.

Any Islanders fans care to explain why the guy didn't get that much burn for them?

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:11 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
This signing for this number, as you say, is good, but also 'cause it means we can plan an exit for Rupp.

If I'm not mistaken, there was something on the big board about Edmonton desperate for an enforcer to protect their top Fs and now Schultz.

Rupp fits that to a 't'.
I don't know if I'd say he was as useless as you suggest, but he certainly didn't wow me. Still, compared to other bigger guys, he can skate enough... good fit for Oilers.

Before we move this to another thread, some preliminary thoughts: Rupp to Oilers.

Maybe
for

Why for Edmonton:
Immediately get enforcer, Boyle good fit flexible F plays D w/offensive upside, scoring better outside Tort's system; prospect G to add to their mix; an x factor in Pashnin who, seeing he would not have as much competition on the backline, would make an effort to join their D first chance.

Why for NY
The 2 prospects are at least 2-3 years away, but these lefties are excellent bookend counterparts to our guys Noreau and Ceresniak. Would have to be patient the 2 years minimum, but could be a shrewd move. They are also big, and seem to be comparatively better as puck movers.

Pitlick is what we hoped for in Bourque. Fast, a little small, but looks good. 1 yr away. If we move Christian Thomas, this is a good replacement.

Upgrade to 1st round pick, which if he we go by probabilities, Oilers not SC winners or last place, best case [for us] a top 5-7, worst case, 10 spots or so back of that.

Seems we can now let Rupp go; Boyle is productive, but worth it for the above, IMO.
The thing with Rupp is he's a heavyweight who you can give some ice time. He can forecheck--take face-offs and once in a while put a puck in the net. As a heavyweight he's not particularly great but if knocked down he'll bounce back up. He's not very likely to be hurt.

Haley--is a lot more like Prust--he's not that big. He'll fight above his weight class. He'll take on all comers but there is more possibility that he will get hurt. Someone like a McGrattan or a MacIntyre where he'll be fighting way above his weight class could really hurt him--moreso than a Rupp. Guys like Prust, Haley are willing to shed blood--to risk injury. I'd rather not put them in that position even if it's only a rare occasion. That's why I'm not in any hurry to move Rupp--at least as long as Rupp can take the odd face-off--get in on the forecheck and once in a while put a puck in the net.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:16 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:

Rupp fits that to a 't'.

Maybe
for

Why for Edmonton:

Why for NY

What the **** is this? Please for the love of god, stop with these ****** proposals! You offer 6 for 6 trades that offer mostly all our crap for another team's garbage. Enough! This **** will never happpen!

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:27 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I like both signings

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

Rupp fits that to a 't'.

Maybe
for

Why for Edmonton:

Why for NY

Edmonton Has an enforcer already. They signed Hordichuk again.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:49 PM
stingo

Haley will be the next Prust. He's Prust's replacement. I wanted this kid on the Hawks. He reminds me a bit of Rick Rypien (RIP) in that he's not the biggest guy, but he'll fight anyone. Plays with his heart on his sleeve.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

I like this guy, looks like he is tough as nails.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:02 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Haley will be the next Prust. He's Prust's replacement. I wanted this kid on the Hawks. He reminds me a bit of Rick Rypien (RIP) in that he's not the biggest guy, but he'll fight anyone. Plays with his heart on his sleeve.
Avatar--David Foster Wallace. The god of 20th century American writers.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
FultonReed

dude's got way better hands than Prust. check out his first NHL goal vs Pitt

dude just straight pushes Letang out of the way

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Actually looking into him I'm starting to like the signing he could turn into Prust and the Rangers don't just pull names out of the hat I think they believe he has good upside. Imagine if he is in the lineup he'll throw down with Prust when we play the Habs.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

You guys will like Haley.

07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

for a first NHL goal, that was especially cos it was against one of the best Ds in the league. and he made Letang look like a KID!

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
for a first NHL goal, that was especially cos it was against one of the best Ds in the league. and he made Letang look like a KID!
Don't read too much into it. Plenty of pretty mediocre players have some highlight reel goals against elite defenders. Remember Dawes undressing Pronger a few years ago?

Haley isn't likely going to develop into a 10 or 12 goal scorer, but he is a very hard working, gutsy player just like Prust. The guy can really fight as well. I think he's bound for the AHL most of the year, but could be a guy that gets called up a few times.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:40 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Don't read too much into it. Plenty of pretty mediocre players have some highlight reel goals against elite defenders. Remember Dawes undressing Pronger a few years ago?

Haley isn't likely going to develop into a 10 or 12 goal scorer, but he is a very hard working, gutsy player just like Prust. The guy can really fight as well. I think he's bound for the AHL most of the year, but could be a guy that gets called up a few times.
a quick look at haley's stats show that play was the RARE exception. but in the clip he doesn't look like too bad a skater and we all know that with torts you gotta be able to skate to play so thats a plus.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote