HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

Brandon Prust says #Habs need a player like him. Moen, White won't have to go it alone any longer

07-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

Brandon Prust says #Habs need a player like him. Moen, White won't have to go it alone any longer
isn't that what you like to hear, music to the ears of Montreal fans .
Glad to see the one many army days are over.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
is that what you like to hear, music to the ears of Montreal fans .
Just hearing thoughs three names together is like listening to Motzart and Metallica at the same time.
Bring it on boyz.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
HomaridII

He also said that from now on teams playing the habs will know they are in for a long night.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:46 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Prust on signing with MTL: "It's been a long and crazy day, but in the end, I felt that Montreal was a great fit for me..."

"Obviously, Montreal is the best hockey city in the world. They have a great history. I feel like I fit into this lineup..."

"I think (MTL's) lacking someone like me... When other teams come into our building, they know they're going to be in for a long night"

I like this guy's attitude.

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:46 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Pierre McGuire loves the deal.

Called him best PK guy in NHL.

Fights not for himself , but for his team mates....

Smart enough to pick his spots

That is the jam Montreal was needing bad.
Not the best pk'er I wouldn't think but he is very good. Callahan is a better pk'er for one. I think Boyle is as well. Prust is great in board battles and getting the puck out. Really gutsy guy. Not that big but he will fight anybody and often above his weight class. He's more of a technician. He often embarrasses bigger tough guys but he really doesn't have knockout capability against legit heavy's. I don't think you'll be unhappy with him though. We loved him as a Ranger.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:47 PM
HomaridII

Prust just said the Habs were known as a team that could get pushed around.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
never heard that before........lol

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Whatever. Believe in the toughness fairy if you want. But none of these guys will be on the ice when the skilled players play.

And Montreal really needs a 3rd line that can beat opponents not just limit chances against. They don't have the offensive talent to rely on just two lines to do the scoring. However, they do have the defense at the top of the lineup thanks to Plekanec that they can put a third line in a position to do some scoring.

Only when Montreal has gotten three capable scoring lines have they been good at even strength. That's the formula they need to follow.
Toughness fairy? What an embarrassing post.

Boston won a Stanley Cup with the "toughness fairy" on their team. The Kings had Kyle Clifford on their team with 10 fights.

You need to watch Prust play before you start disparaging him. Over the last two years, he has 7 short handed goals. One would think that he was "on the ice when the skilled players play" during those PP's.

I know it is tough for you to see Montreal moving in a different direction away from the soft passive team that we have been for way too long. Accept it. Times change and I am thankful that we finally have a management team that realized what our weaknesses are and did something about it.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
all i can say is white/moen/prust
sure ****ing beats
darche, blunden enqvist
YES!!! Prust, Moen and White on a line looks ****ing badass. Hope they play together.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
And one that lost..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Really ? No way, we had team toughness

Can't wait to see Prust in action !!

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:01 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
He also said that from now on teams playing the habs will know they are in for a long night.
And people thought the Habs weren't soft. LOL. There's so many posters that have been exposed over the year. From the Gauthier/Gainey supporters to those who thought the team did not need muscle.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
And people thought the Habs weren't soft. LOL. There's so many posters that have been exposed over the year. From the Gauthier/Gainey supporters to those who thought the team did not need muscle.
Now we just need talent and we are set.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:03 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Boston won a Stanley Cup with the "toughness fairy" on their team. The Kings had Kyle Clifford on their team with 10 fights.

You need to watch Prust play before you start disparaging him. Over the last two years, he has 7 short handed goals. One would think that he was "on the ice when the skilled players play" during those PP's.

I know it is tough for you to see Montreal moving in a different direction away from the soft passive team that we have been for way too long. Accept it. Times change and I am thankful that we finally have a management team that realized what our weaknesses are and did something about it.
Can you really take someone serioulsy who watched this team the last few years and thought team toughness wasn't an issue? You can't possibly watch hockey and think that the toughness factor wasn't missing from this team.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
A graduate of the Tom Kostopolous School of Fighting.
I wouldn't go that far. Sure he lose some but he also win against tough dudes as well.

Kostopoulos would have lost against 95% of the guys Prust fought last year

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:04 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Now we just need talent and we are set.
Right. Thing is, it's pretty easy to find bottom 6 players with size, grit and toughness. It's unfortunate that idiot Gauthier saw the bottom 6 as some sort of wasteland for AHLers and fringe NHLers.

Habs got better just by addressing the bottom 6.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

To be fair, Clifford played 3 games and totaled less than 15min of ice time. But that's beyond the point anyways.

I have no problem with Prust, I find his term pretty long but he should be a 4th liner, not 3rd. No way should we have Moen and Prust both on the 3rd line. We need to improve our scoring and players like Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon won't do that.

Signing one of Prust/Armstrong would have sufficed for me. Then you can maybe sign an actual fighter that you won't have a problem scratching.
But Eller should be playing with skilled wingers too, otherwise we're just wasting his talent, and as it was brought up, we don't have the firepower on the top lines to just rely on them for scoring, having a skilled top 9 like at the beginning of last season would be better.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Right. Thing is, it's pretty easy to find bottom 6 players with size, grit and toughness. It's unfortunate that idiot Gauthier saw the bottom 6 as some sort of wasteland for AHLers and fringe NHLers.

Habs got better just by addressing the bottom 6.
Well, the 4th line last year was a complete mess and through the season Gauthier manage to make our top 6 worse while doing nothing to address that issue. It wasn't that bad before last year though, but the team needed more grit.

It's nice having more balance in that sense but there's only so much bottom 6 wingers will do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Signing one of Prust/Armstrong would have sufficed for me. Then you can maybe sign an actual fighter that you won't have a problem scratching.
But Eller should be playing with skilled wingers too, otherwise we're just wasting his talent, and as it was brought up, we don't have the firepower on the top lines to just rely on them for scoring, having a skilled top 9 like at the beginning of last season would be better.
Not sure about Prust but Moen was pretty competent on the 3rd, he has his limits but he creates space and chips in enough. Kostitsyn, Eller, and Moen was a decent mix, Bourque is worse than AK but I guess he can fill that role.

But playing both Prust and Moen on the 3rd line would be awful, as is using Bourque with Plekanec against top lines. Also not having any wingers who are more than average passers and only one forward who can deke is still concerning.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:14 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
To be fair, Clifford played 3 games and totaled less than 15min of ice time. But that's beyond the point anyways.

I have no problem with Prust, I find his term pretty long but he should be a 4th liner, not 3rd. No way should we have Moen and Prust both on the 3rd line. We need to improve our scoring and players like Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon won't do that.

Kriss, I am talking about the regular season. I know this past playoff season was an anomaly of sorts during the first round with all of the fights. The Habs need a tougher team during the regular season. That's where player's confidence can be developed and improved and having Moen, Prust, White around will help.

Regarding Eller, he is going to have to step up HIS game before we start worrying about who he has playing next to him. So far he has been underwhelming. This will be a make or break season for him. If he doesnt perform, well, time to look elsewhere. And to be fair, Eller is a 3rd line center so regardless of where he would be playing, he has to learn to succeed with "less than star" wingers.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Prust has played well the last 3 years next to a big center, first with Artem Anisimov and then Brian Boyle, if he gets a shot playing with Lars Eller that could work out well.

Sonny Lamateena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

LA and Boston were good teams period. Although LA got better when they benched useless tough guys and called up some real players from the AHL. Plus Boston was only marginally better than the supposedly butter soft Habs when they faced of in the playoffs and wouldn't have won but for unreal goaltending. Then got beaten this year by Washington. Toughness is just an ideologically convenient explanation for their success.

You can believe that 4th line bruisers make players they don't play with better all you want. But it rests on some dubious assumptions on how the NHL works.

Now there are ways physical play can help a team but the way most of you talk about it, it seems more like a magic toughness field rather than in ways it can actually help.

What the Habs needed was more scoring wingers and good defensive defensemen. Punching guys more isn't going to solve their problems. Rely on that helping and you'll be disappointed. Or you'll take credit for success that happened for other reasons.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 07-01-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Now imagine if we had both of those guys playing in our bot....oh wait

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
battlehim

Jeez, dudes. I love Pruster but 'cmon, Habs. That kind of over-paying is encroyable, for what he brings to the table (some grit, pk and potential locker room chemistry). That's too much money for that kind of guy. Plus, I hope he can handle the Mtl scrutiny given the type of player he is (underdog, plombier kind of guy.
Enjoy your smoked Gomez with your Prust poutine. Good luck with that.

battlehim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Kriss, I am talking about the regular season. I know this past playoff season was an anomaly of sorts during the first round with all of the fights. The Habs need a tougher team during the regular season. That's where player's confidence can be developed and improved and having Moen, Prust, White around will help.

Regarding Eller, he is going to have to step up HIS game before we start worrying about who he has playing next to him. So far he has been underwhelming. This will be a make or break season for him. If he doesnt perform, well, time to look elsewhere. And to be fair, Eller is a 3rd line center so regardless of where he would be playing, he has to learn to succeed with "less than star" wingers.
Eller scored 16. just like DD and one less than Plek. Playing NO pp time

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote