HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG being sued

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2005, 11:49 PM
LiquidClown

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
MSG being sued

By a woman hit by a puck

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

I dont' get it, the state supreme court dismissed the case, yet this lady is allowed to go forward with it?

Her grounds is that the NHL and MSG don't give sufficient warning that pucks into the crowd could injure......

Look forward to seeing warning on tickets in the near future (if there will be an NHL)

I can't believe this kind of crap.

EDIT> As pointed out nicely MSG is being sued not the Rags or the NHL as that has been dismissed.

Last edited by LiquidClown: 01-05-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old
01-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Sunshine

An example of taking advantage of "the system"

Perhaps she would prefer if the puck ended her life.
This woman should be thankful that she is still alive.
Money Money Money.

Old
01-05-2005, 05:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
By a woman hit by a puck while at MSG

I dont' get it, the state supreme court dismissed the case, yet this lady is allowed to go forward with it?

Her grounds is that the NHL and MSG don't give sufficient warning that pucks into the crowd could injure......

Look forward to seeing warning on tickets in the near future (if there will be an NHL)

Did she read the back of her ticket?Did she hear the announcement before the game about pucks frequently leaving the ice?Did she read the GardenVision screen before the game which informs the fans that pucks frequently leave the ice and enter the stands?

On the back of the ticket,it states spectators should be alert because pucks leave the ice and enter the stands.If someone is hit by a puck,they should immediately contact a Garden employee-usher,medical staff-to receive treatment

Old
01-05-2005, 07:17 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:

I am guessing that she filed suit in both the state and federal courts. The suit was dismissed by the state court and allowed to go forward in the federal courts.

Old
01-05-2005, 07:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
No different than suing McDonald's for having their coffee be too hot. This is the land of the lawsuit. Anything that has a chance at making someone free money will be pursued. No matter how ridiculous.

Old
01-05-2005, 07:53 AM

A few years ago Lemieux and the Pens were sued by a model. Lemieux was flipping pucks into the crowd and the woman was struck in the face. She took the settlement money but IMO she didn't deserve a dime.

Old
01-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Levitate

she's not suing the rangers or the NHL (anymore, she was told she couldn't)

she's suing MSG, as owners of the building, saying they didn't take enoug precautions to keep pucks from going into the stands, yadda yadda yadda

so it'd be more correct to say MSG is being sued, not the rangers or NHL

and i believe the judge just said that it is up to a jury to decide whether she deserves to be compenstated, or something like that

Old
01-05-2005, 09:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I guess the days of having Nick Fotiu hurl pucks into the upper reaches of MSG are history.He would fire them into the stands

Old
01-05-2005, 10:55 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Did she read the back of her ticket?Did she hear the announcement before the game about pucks frequently leaving the ice?Did she read the GardenVision screen before the game which informs the fans that pucks frequently leave the ice and enter the stands?

On the back of the ticket,it states spectators should be alert because pucks leave the ice and enter the stands.If someone is hit by a puck,they should immediately contact a Garden employee-usher,medical staff-to receive treatment
Uh has she ever even seen a hockey game?

Old
01-05-2005, 11:10 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
No different than suing McDonald's for having their coffee be too hot. This is the land of the lawsuit. Anything that has a chance at making someone free money will be pursued. No matter how ridiculous.
One word relates to her... it's "lazy".... she probably has a $5 an hour job and to lazy to get a real one.

The big reason NY is full of law suit's is simply because people are looking for easy money.Instead of going out to work for living people want it as easy as they can get it, MORALES its a shame people these days have none.Though I have many other comments about people and law suits but will keep them to myself as people will get offended.

Old
01-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Chief

Quote:

Someone correctly pointed out the distinction between suing MSG and the Rangers. Also note that as confusing as this might be, the Supreme Court of NY is not the highest court in the State system. It's the 2nd highest. The Court of Appeals is the highest court in NY. Different than the Federal System where the Supremem Court is the highest court in the land. Ahh, gotta love the simplicity of the court system.

These types of lawsuits were bound to happen. Once the NHL put netting behind the goals, someone was going to make an argument that the rest of the glass should also have netting over it. Someday soon they'll be playing in a bubble like the arcade game.

Old
01-05-2005, 11:21 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
. Someday soon they'll be playing in a bubble like the arcade game.
As funny as it sounds , its most liekly to be true cause of like her ruin it for the ones who love the sport and know there is a chance of being hit by a puck during a game but still continue to go.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-06-2005 at 07:18 AM.
Old
01-05-2005, 12:40 PM
LondonFan

Yep, we all need them MORALES!

Old
01-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Balej20*

Quote:

What an absolute joke. I hate people like this. The warnings are constant. And you know what, im sorry, but if you arent going to be alert at a hockey game (or a baseball game for that matter), please do not attend. You have to know that there is always danger when objects are flying around at such speeds. Keep your head up and look alive, and your risk for being hurt diminishes greatly.

The warnings are there when you go to a game. As a matter of fact, they get kind of annoying, but they are they have to warn because of people like this, who will sue. Unreal.

Old
01-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Sanderson

There are some rumours of European teams having to install netting around the whole rink in the near future, so prepare for the worst. Might not take too long until you'll have them as well

Old
01-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson
There are some rumours of European teams having to install netting around the whole rink in the near future, so prepare for the worst. Might not take too long until you'll have them as well
Unreal, all because of this legal non-sense. I hate it. What did the fans do when there were barely any boards to protect them back in the day

Old
01-05-2005, 06:22 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
One word relates to her... it's "lazy".... she probably has a $5 an hour job and to lazy to get a real one.

The big reason NY is full of law suit's is simply because people are looking for easy money.Instead of going out to work for living people want it as easy as they can get it, MORALES its a shame people these days have none.Though I have many other comments about people and law suits but will keep them to myself as people will get offended.
sounds like a person who's never had a job in his life, people with $5 hour jobs usually aren't given opportunities or are not capable of doing any better

Old
01-05-2005, 07:20 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
sounds like a person who's never had a job in his life, people with $5 hour jobs usually aren't given opportunities or are not capable of doing any better
Sometimes you have to make opportunities for yourself. When will people learn that not everything must be "given" to them.

As for the lady making 5$ an hour, I highly doubt she would be able to afford seats at MSG on 5$ an hour

Old
01-05-2005, 08:47 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
By a woman hit by a puck

EDIT> As pointed out nicely MSG is being sued not the Rags or the NHL as that has been dismissed.
Great, so now we will hear warnings with every stoppage of play and twice during tv timeouts.

Well, since MSG and the Rangers have the same parent company, it really doesn't matter they are one in the same in reality.

Old
01-05-2005, 08:53 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Stop bashing my Mom. Thanks.

Old
01-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
Someone correctly pointed out the distinction between suing MSG and the Rangers. Also note that as confusing as this might be, the Supreme Court of NY is not the highest court in the State system. It's the 2nd highest. The Court of Appeals is the highest court in NY. Different than the Federal System where the Supremem Court is the highest court in the land. Ahh, gotta love the simplicity of the court system.

These types of lawsuits were bound to happen. Once the NHL put netting behind the goals, someone was going to make an argument that the rest of the glass should also have netting over it. Someday soon they'll be playing in a bubble like the arcade game.
Good catch on the idiosyncratic method used to name state courts. My parents had a friend who was a NY Supreme Court judge and he always got great treatment at conferences from people unfamilar with the NY courts.

And actually, the incident leading to this case took place (in 2002) before the nets were installed behind the goals. The ultimate irony is that this person is going to argue that MSG knew of the potential danger of pucks going into the crowd (hence the warning on the ticket and the announcements that take place when no one is listening), but didn't take action until someone had been killed during an NHL game. By mandating nets, the league may have opened up a legal can of worms.

Old
01-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Stop bashing my Mom. Thanks.

Old
01-05-2005, 11:56 PM
TheZherdev

hmm lets see.
from what i can remember in the past few years:
Starbucks cafe got sued for like a million dollars because some lady burned her tongue on drinking their coffee. What the hell does she want? a big red sign saying "thermal hazard" on it?

Then McDonalds got sued by a lady saying that their food got to become fat. now honestly is McDonalds suppose to watch our diets for us? is the cashier suppose to say to u at the counter, be careful too much of this will make you a fat slob.

Now this? for freaken christs sakes do these people think that theres a magnet on the ice preventing the puck from going into the stands? I might as well sue the state for not making stop signs red enough.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-06-2005 at 07:17 AM.
Old
01-06-2005, 02:15 AM
JJ68NYR

NO WARNING?????

Before every game starts at MSG they announce that pucks could enter the seats then explain what to do if injured. It says to be ALERT.

It is also mentioned inbetween periods.

Old
01-06-2005, 07:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Isn't buying the ticket and then using it to enter the building basically an assumption of risk?

Closed Thread