Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fans Traveling to Winnipeg

Old
06-29-2012, 08:19 AM
MNBadger

vCash: 500
Fans Traveling to Winnipeg

I am from Minnesota and was hoping to gain some perspective from local Jets fans on a potential road trip for the Jets/Wild game in early January. From your experience, what would you think tickets will be going for, I was thinking they would be going somewhere in the 300 range per ticket but I could be wrong. Also, any hotel reccomendations or certain areas of Winnipeg that we should consider if we are trying to hit bars/clubs and the hockey game as well? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MNBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:26 AM
hockeyarena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBadger View Post
I am from Minnesota and was hoping to gain some perspective from local Jets fans on a potential road trip for the Jets/Wild game in early January. From your experience, what would you think tickets will be going for, I was thinking they would be going somewhere in the 300 range per ticket but I could be wrong. Also, any hotel reccomendations or certain areas of Winnipeg that we should consider if we are trying to hit bars/clubs and the hockey game as well? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You will be getting them off stubhub obviously as the games will be sold out. I think you can get a ticket for a lot less than $300 a piece to see the wild. I would budget $200 a piece to get good seats to that game. Dress warm and drive a vehicle that can handle the roads obviously, 7 hours in January is not a fun drive.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Make sure you can get tickets before you book anything else. Tickets are really hard to come by. Accommodations depends on what you wanna spend.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Jrux85

When my brother drives up from North Dakota he stays at Place Louis Riel Suite Hotel. He's stayed at the Radisson as well, but it was pricey. I am a season ticket holder in Wpg, so I usually just go to Tavern United before the games (and sometimes afterwards). But when my brother comes up with a friend, they usually hit Tavern for a few hours before the game then head off to Gentleman's Club (or Solid Gold Club as they go by now) after the game and watch the strippers and continue the drinks.

Jrux85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Tickets: Agree on securing tickets first - although if you line up early enough at the MTS Centre boxoffice AND have your smartphone checking Ticketmaster from about 2pm on game day, one of those methods should work. Otherwise you'll be paying big big dollar on the street.

Hotels: Strongly disagree with the post on staying at Place Louis Riel = just don't. The clientele is super-sketch. Spend the extra few bucks and stay (at minimum) at the Radisson or Delta. Hotel Fort Garry is a bit more, but you get an awesome breakfast.

Pre-game: Plenty of options - from Tavern, to E&C, to 4play, but suggest Kingshead Pub in Exchange District (and they have a free limo ride to the MTS Centre)

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM
ghost88*

Completely agree with the bloke who said the Elephant and Castle. Best English Pub in town and the food is fantastic. I usually get a bite to eat there after a win.

Just a short walk from the arena as well.

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
mondo3

Hotel: Humphry Inn on Main Street gets good reviews; it would be a 5 minute cab/bus ride to the game.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
MNBadger

We were planning on staying 3-4 nights and being in Winni over NYE. I talked to the bellhop at the Marlborough who was a younger guy and he sounded pretty skeptical about us finding "fun" things to do in Winnipeg being that our trip would take place anywhere from a Sunday-Thursday. Is Winnipeg pretty low key or are there some quality spots throughout the weekdays? Im really out of the loop on the nightlife in the area, but a guy has to figure there are fun things to do being that it is around New Years..

Old
06-29-2012, 11:25 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

We've had some good traveler to Winnipeg stories last season.

Ally K @ Home Opener

Bryan and Mike (Sharks fans) who traveled to Peg'.

Looking forward to seeing more good stories of people making the trip to the Peg'.

Plenty of things to do in the Peg' if you're creative.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:33 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Speaking of sketchy hotels, I wouldn't stay at the Marlborough either!!
So don't take the opinion of the bellhop.

There is plenty to do and you'll have a great time.

Quote:
We were planning on staying 3-4 nights and being in Winni over NYE. I talked to the bellhop at the Marlborough who was a younger guy and he sounded pretty skeptical about us finding "fun" things to do in Winnipeg being that our trip would take place anywhere from a Sunday-Thursday. Is Winnipeg pretty low key or are there some quality spots throughout the weekdays? Im really out of the loop on the nightlife in the area, but a guy has to figure there are fun things to do being that it is around New Years..

Old
06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
BoltsGuy
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrux85 View Post
watch the strippers and continue the drinks.
Tell me more..

BoltsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:00 PM
SCP Guy

Stay at the hotel at the Forks....it is a great location and close to downtown as MTS Centre (5 min drive) you will thank me later !

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltsGuy View Post
Tell me more..
Great first post, nothing motivates someone to post like 'rippers

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 419
Delta, Radisson and Inn at the Forks are all good options for hotels. For pubs, the Kings Head either before or after the game is a great choice. It's also right across the street from the poutinery. Can't help with tickets unfortunately, the best chance is game-day. Stubhub might be unavoidable in this case.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:30 PM
tntkid

The Delta or Radison are probably the best & most affordable safe spots within walking distance to the MTS Centre.
Canad In at polo park is a nice hotel especially if you have kids.

Tavern United , Kingshead Pub or Elephant & Castle are all good places to chill out before or after the game.

Stay away from the Louis Riel or St Regis as they are sketchy & not safe.

The forks also has lots of markets & some patio restaurants.

Last edited by tntkid: 06-29-2012 at 12:35 PM.
tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Matthew McConaughey
Alright, Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Stay at the hotel at the Forks....it is a great location and close to downtown as MTS Centre (5 min drive) you will thank me later !
+1. Very nice hotel, you'll need a cab to the game. The old Crowne Plaza is good too. Not sure of the name, they keep changing them on me!

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:43 PM
BoltsGuy
Rookie User

MnBadger and The BoltsGuy are makin' our way up to the Pegger to check out the Bolts & Wild games over New Years. What are we looking at for ticky prices up there boys?

BoltsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
MNBadger

Keeping in mind that these two young-guns are strapped for cash (hence why we are looking into options such as the Marlborough hotel, etc)

Old
06-29-2012, 12:54 PM
DancesWithWookies

Might I suggest the McLaren hotel. Its right downtown, close to the arena, affordable rates and good customer base.

DancesWithWookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Matthew McConaughey
Alright, Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sab177 View Post
Might I suggest the McLaren hotel. Its right downtown, close to the arena, affordable rates and good customer base.
...and plexiglass windows.

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Moe Mantha

Stay away from Place Louis. And the St. Regis.

Viscount Gort is near polo park mall, but they offer a shuttle to games. I think they are reasonably priced as well.

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Speaking of sketchy hotels, I wouldn't stay at the Marlborough either!!
Marlborough Hotel sketchy? That's news to me, always thought it was a decent budget hotel.

The Marlborough bar on the other hand...

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

For the Jets tickets:
You're pretty much forced to go with StubHub. I haven't really checked the prices there too often, but when I do they're pretty expensive. $300 is prudent to budget, but the game could be more expensive, and the seats aren't that great.

One of the issues I have with the MTS Centre is the leg room. It's mediocre in the lower bowl, but outright abhorrent in the upper-deck. I went to see Cirque du Soleil in the 300 section and that is the first and only time I will go to anything at the MTS Centre in the 300's.

I don't care if a madman is forcing me to take free Jets tickets and threatening to kill my wife and kids. Think of the sore legs man!

Travel to Winnipeg/Accomodations:
There are several hotels right near the arena, so those are options, although they're pretty expensive/poor value from what I hear. If you want to treat yourself though, the Fairmont Hotel and Fort Garry Hotel are very nice. The Inn at the Forks is nice too, and still close enough to the venue. Personally I'd check out Expedia or Hotwire to get a good read on the hotel rates.

As for the travel portion, if you've never made the trek up to Canada in the Winter, be extremely careful after you cross the border. The US spends a LOT more money on their infra-structure, and it shows. The highways are usually pretty icy and you should be driving at least 6-10 miles under the speedlimit (10-15kph).

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Great call, awesome hotel.

But if you're on a budget and looking for an "adventure"...the McLaren it is!!!!!

PS - yes Marlborough also has some sketch clientele....but other post was right - that bar is something else entirely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post

Old
06-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
One of the issues I have with the MTS Centre is the leg room. It's mediocre in the lower bowl, but outright abhorrent in the upper-deck. I went to see Cirque du Soleil in the 300 section and that is the first and only time I will go to anything at the MTS Centre in the 300's.
I'm 5'11", never found the leg room to be a huge problem in the 300s tbh.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote