HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets sign Alex Ponikarovsky (1 year, $1.8M)

Old
07-01-2012, 05:03 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I like Burger King. In Russia, we call it.... Burger King!

edit: Dammit YWG!

I remember seeing that video a while back, and laughed out loud at that line - Antro is more of a joker than I thought. Of course, seeing him smiling when he face-washes opposing d-men kind of tips you off he might have a lighter side.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Didn't catch much of his CAR time, but in LA despite his disappointing offensive game, he was huge on the forecheck and on the shutdown 3rd line. I have no doubt he will face some heat here since his speed is not great, but he is gritty in the corners and out front (doesn't out and out hit all too often, but battles hard), very good on the cycle. If Poni and Antro play together that line will be very very hard to get the puck away from. I think a Poni - Antro - Machacek line could be great just like the Poni - Handzus - Simmonds line for LA as a shutdown 3rd line that cycles and grinds away at opponants while being a rock defensively and chips in some offense.
Thanks for the info, Holden.

I know it's still early here, I just hope we see some improvements. The TSN guys talked this morning about Olli Jokinen and how they thought he would fit in very well with Winnipeg. They also really stressed how he has turned the page in his career and is now in very good physical shape. His dedication and commitment has improved by leaps and bounds in terms of how he takes care of himself.

I'd be ok with signing Olli Jokinen, Tootoo to replace Glass and re-sign Wellwood as I think he fits in quite well here.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Burmistrov - Antropov - Ponikarovsky
Tootoo - Slater - Thorburn

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-01-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:09 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
I like the suggestion above of Antro - Slater - Poni - that could be a great shut down line, that could be dangerous down low if you take them for granted. Watching Poni in the playoffs, he seemed fairly solid for NJ in the role he was being asked to play. This could be a legitimate 3rd line, finally.

Then, time to give some prospects a look on the 4th perhaps. Cormier to 4th C, with Machacek and ?, then fill out a position on the 2nd line. I think we'd be better off than we were last year. Solid, but not exceptional or flashy.

It'll be interesting to see what Chevy still has up his sleeve - I think anything "big" (IE: not just 3rd or 4th line) will end up involving a trade.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

First post evah!

Huge Antropov fan here. Just signed up just to express my excitement with the signing of Poni . Can't wait to see how this will pan out with the duo back together again. Wonder if the chemistry is still there from the good ol' times? I really hope so!

JustBeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I'm thinking Burmistrov might be traded. Don't know why, just a hunch.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
That video was hilarious!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Miettinen - Antropov - Ponikarovsky
Where's Bumistrov?

To me Miettenen is good for keeping the seats warm in the press box, unless he can prove otherwise.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Where's Bumistrov?

To me Miettenen is good for keeping the seats warm in the press box, unless he can prove otherwise.
My bad, meant to have Burmistrov instead of Miettinen.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:40 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

Slick. Antro & Poni with the Leafs.

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 07-01-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old
07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
AMac2002

vCash: 500
Nice signing. And if we're out of the playoff picture come trade deadline, I bet we could get a 3rd or so for him from a team looking to pick up a little something.

AMac2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
jamiebez

Pocahonsky it is. I'm not thrilled (another Leaf washout ?!?) but I'm willing to wait and see.

Assuming he only plays LW, he's definitely on the 3rd line.

jamiebez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:55 PM
apice3*

Poni at 1.8 is an absolute bargain.

He's a big body that is very responsible with his checking, and can pot a timely goal. I don't think it's a coincidence that every clutch playoff goal we scored, he was lurking around somewhere. IIRC, he lead our team in CORSI from the day we acquired him.

Just a solid 3rd liner. Very surprised to see him gone at 1.8. I would have been fine with the Devils signing him at 3M to be honest.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:01 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsBeCool View Post
Huge Antropov fan here.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
My bad, meant to have Burmistrov instead of Miettinen.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Tootoo went to Detroit.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:14 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Chevy said during his presser that we offered him a contract last summer too, but he said no at the time.

Also said that he asked Antropov to call him, which ultimately convinced him to sign with us.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

According to Chevy, Antro made a call to Poni which probably pushed him to sign with the Jets. I figured this was the case. Only way to get players to sign here is through connections. I love Winnipeg but not surprised that this is the case. If we offered more money and term for Mason and even he declined to play with Nashville... I am a little worried how Winnipeg is going to attract other players in the future.... must be a hard job for Chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
Yes I believe I am one in a million.... But i really enjoy watching Antropov play. I find that he is a smart player. Not super flashy but more so a team player.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Aerial

Quote:
I am a little worried how Winnipeg is going to attract other players in the future.... must be a hard job for Chevy
As we build up the depth of the team, and build more of a rep for the organization, it'll get easier. Besides money, chance of winning is generally the biggest thing. That's why Mason's in Nashville (especially pressing for him at his age) and Glass in Pittsburgh. It will come in time, in the meantime I try to enjoy the ride.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
According to Chevy, Antro made a call to Poni which probably pushed him to sign with the Jets. I figured this was the case. Only way to get players to sign here is through connections. I love Winnipeg but not surprised that this is the case. If we offered more money and term for Mason and even he declined to play with Nashville... I am a little worried how Winnipeg is going to attract other players in the future.... must be a hard job for Chevy.
That's the harsh reality for now. Until we're a winning team playoff-bound every year it'll be like that. And those days will come.

07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
One of the TSN guys said you don't want to be the team that continually ends up with the 9th or 10th overall pick; just enough to not win or bad enough to get a future lottery pick. our last 2 years were 7 and 9, so hope that's not going to be our situation.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
I am a little worried how Winnipeg is going to attract other players in the future.... must be a hard job for Chevy.
No real need to worry much longer; that is why TNSE have planned to build from within. Soon enough we'll eventually be graduating guys like Telegin, Scheifele, Sutter, Lowry, Trouba, Pasquale, and others as well, and by extension then finding FA filler material will become much easier... while at the same time still replenishing the pipeline at the draft each year as well. No need to panic if the nearby horizon looks cloudy; better days lie ahead.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:49 PM
sully1410

Now that we have Poni...I never want to trade Antro. The chemistry these guys used to have on the Leafs was amazing, and they chipped in offensively as well.

Also another "Russian" to help reign in Burmi.

And I ****ing hope Burmi doesn't get traded. He's becoming a sound 2way player.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Should be a decent upgrade for the 3rd line. My impression of him was always that he played a bit soft for his size, but I noticed he seemed to play with some sandpaper in these playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Didn't catch much of his CAR time, but in LA despite his disappointing offensive game, he was huge on the forecheck and on the shutdown 3rd line. I have no doubt he will face some heat here since his speed is not great, but he is gritty in the corners and out front (doesn't out and out hit all too often, but battles hard), very good on the cycle. If Poni and Antro play together that line will be very very hard to get the puck away from. I think a Poni - Antro - Machacek line could be great just like the Poni - Handzus - Simmonds line for LA as a shutdown 3rd line that cycles and grinds away at opponants while being a rock defensively and chips in some offense.
Good to hear, the bolded was what I saw from him recently.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Now that we have Poni...I never want to trade Antro. The chemistry these guys used to have on the Leafs was amazing, and they chipped in offensively as well.

Also another "Russian" to help reign in Burmi.

And I ****ing hope Burmi doesn't get traded. He's becoming a sound 2way player.
AMEN! Agree with all those points. Very very interesting to see what will happen with those three. I always found that Burmi played well whenever he was on the same line as Antropov.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
sully1410

Quote:
AMEN! Agree with all those points. Very very interesting to see what will happen with those three. I always found that Burmi played well whenever he was on the same line as Antropov.
I read in an article that Antro's the only guy that Burmi can understand. I guess his English is lacking( I guess? No it is)

Put those three on a line and your smoking!

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I read in an article that Antro's the only guy that Burmi can understand. I guess his English is lacking( I guess? No it is)
I didn't know it was that bad... Is he trying hard to learn English?

MrWigglez is offline   Reply With Quote