HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Thrash to Smash: One Year Anniversary

Old
07-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Thrash to Smash: One Year Anniversary

A year ago (ish), many transplant Thrasher fans came into the Nashville fold. Many of them are still here and post routinely, for which we are very grateful. It was really nice, as a longer-time Preds fan, to hear new perspective from people who weren't nearly as jaded about the team as many of us are.

Catbirds, I'm curious what you're impressions of the team are. How close are you to following the Preds like you followed the Thrashers? What are some things Nashville does better? Atlana does better? What could we improve on? Was the transition easy? Do you still cheer for the Peg?

Anyways, just curious how you all feel a year later.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:11 AM
tonyin318

I joined Pred nation about 2 weeks before the season started. Ended up buying two six packs and a playoff pack. Made it to I think 7 regular season games and 4 playoff games. Watched or listened to all but a few of the games I didn't attend. Really had a great time, just wish I could leave my house and be in my seats in just under an hour........

Here's what I typed in a February post: I like the team, the players, the uniforms, the experience at games. I listen to the podcasts, read all I can, I'm learning the prospects names, I'm trying to piece together the history especially Poile's and Trotz's styles and m.o. 's. I like Pete Weber and Crispy, I like Tom Callahan (although he's no Dan Kamal )I love that they're winning.

I've made it to 3 games now, will be back on Feb 23 and probably one more regualr season game. Bought a hat, a sweatshirt, a tee shirt, got a license plate for Christmas. I've watched all but maybe 3 or 4 games on television, I listen to the games on the radio (Iphone app) when I can't watch..................

I like them, I mean really like them - alot - BUT I don't "love" them (yet) like I did the Thrashers.

For me, it's difficult to invest in the team when I can't come to the majority of games and quite a few practices, rookie camps, training camps, etc and actualy see the "boys" up close and feed off their energy, intensity, and desire in person. I 'm postiive that's it....I click over to the Jets games on occasion and find that I really couldn't care less about almost all the former Thrashers players. It's the whole process of "living" the season with the team that endears me personally. I'm trying to figure out how to capture that with the Preds..... It's all in place in my head, now just need it to move to my heart like the Thrashers did................... Maybe a good playoff run will help that process?

Sappy I know! But kinda theraputic.......still miss having a team here in the ATL!

GO PREDS!

I just re-read that post and still feel the same way. I wouldn't describe the playoff run as "good" so that didn't push me closer to "Loving" the team instead of just liking them ALOT. The whole Radulov/Kostitsyn thing and all the bad breaks (goals that were not counted as goals vs Pho) put a damper on it and in hindsight I think Radulov probably made the team worse overall, but still I think Poile had to try what he tried..... anyway I digress.

One good thing about not having followed the team all these years is: I really couldn't care less if Suter resigns or not. Just not that invested in any of the players after only a year. I'm sure it would've killed me to see Jordin leave and I'd be pulling my hair out over Suter had I follwoed them all these years!

I still don't know if I'll follow the Preds next year or not... I may end up drifting away from seriously following Hockey, or I may go repeat what I did this year - I'll probably decide about the time training camp is rolling.

Hopefully They will broadcast just as many or more Preds games in ATL, that will be a big help!

tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:25 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
A year ago (ish), many transplant Thrasher fans came into the Nashville fold. Many of them are still here and post routinely, for which we are very grateful. It was really nice, as a longer-time Preds fan, to hear new perspective from people who weren't nearly as jaded about the team as many of us are.

Catbirds, I'm curious what you're impressions of the team are. How close are you to following the Preds like you followed the Thrashers? What are some things Nashville does better? Atlana does better? What could we improve on? Was the transition easy? Do you still cheer for the Peg?
Very solid team defensively and Rinne is a freaking beast in goal(should be on the NHL 13 cover but oh well). I made it up for the game against the Sabres in early December and had a great time. I do wish they would get some more firepower on offense but perhaps that just isn't their style.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post

I decided to answer some of your questions:
How close are you to following the Preds like you followed the Thrashers? Answered in my previous post
What are some things Nashville does better? Atlana does better? Honestly the only thing I can think of that Atlanta did better than Nashville is "be within easy driving distance of my house" The first two years in ATL were awesome and the game day experience was fantastic, but it went downhill after that and jumped off a cliff when ASG took over.
What could we improve on? I love the McGraw goal song but it did get old so it seems there could be a variety of responses after a goal. Also, although I have nothing against saying something sucks per se' , I do wish the fans would stop yelling "you suck" after a win because it seems like they are telling the team they suck (I know that isn't the intention -just seems that way). Also, chanting "we're gonna beat the hell outta you" after a goal in the last minute pulls the Preds to within 3 - that seems a little silly. Minor and nitpicky things I know but in a nutshell, the Game Ops Staff or Cell Block 303 or both could make a valient effort to switch things up a tad or add some more logical variety to the fan interaction. Again, very very minor, but you asked and that's all I can come up with
Was the transition easy? Easier than I thought it would be.
Do you still cheer for the Peg? I don't hate them like I did, but no way will I ever wish them success. In fact I still hope they finish 9th or 10th every year until they move again

Old
07-03-2012, 10:35 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
re: the end of game "You Suck"... we're trying.

It's just so ingrained into habit ... that it's hard to change.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
re: the end of game "You Suck"... we're trying.

It's just so ingrained into habit ... that it's hard to change.
I know you are...

By the way Codey .... love your podcast. Another thing Nashville does better than Atlanta did

Old
07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Bongo

I've been coming to Nashville since the inaugural season. I made it to 3 games last year and hope to at least double that number in '12-'13.

I can quite honestly say everything about the Preds experience is better than the Thrashers. Like Tony, I miss the shorter distance(I live 10 minutes from Phillips arena)but I'll gladly give that up to support a well run franchise that cares about the game, the team, and it's fans. We got none of that in Atlanta.

I wish everyone who went to see the Thrashers could experience the Saturday night game in Nashville.

As for the Peg; I'll cheer for the team until the last Thrasher is gone just like I did with the Flames.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote