HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Next year's rookies

Old
07-01-2012, 03:36 PM
cliu122

vCash: 500
Next year's rookies

If there could only be 3 forwards out of the following list chosen to play in Ottawa next year who would it be?
1. Jakob Silfverberg
2. Mika Zibanejad
3. Mark Stone
4. Stephane da Costa
5. Andre Petersson

cliu122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

vCash: 3900
Hard to tell, but the first three you listed make sense to me.

Zibby, Silf, and Stone.
Stone may not be ready just yet though.

Last edited by Deku Scrub: 07-01-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Deku Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:45 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Right now, that's a hard call. Silfverberg is a lock, I think; Da Costa is on the bubble, as is MZ; Petersson is a possible; I think Stone needs a year in the AHL. So I'd probably go Silfverberg/DaCosta/Petersson, but it could easily be any grouping of the bottom 4 alongside Silfverberg.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:26 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

It seems like both Da Costa & Petersson are dropping down the depth chart. I would argue that this could be Petersson's last yr in NA & that he starts 2013 yr back playing in Sweden. Da Costa I could see being part of a trade at some point this season.

1. Silfverberg - should likely start the yr on LW on one of the top two lines.
2. Zibanejad - unless more bodies are moved out, I think he starts the yr in Bingo. I could see him being an injury callup or replacement once someone is traded or demoted. I expect he could be playing in Ottawa just after the trade deadline next yr.
3. Stone - see Zibanejad.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:59 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Don't forget Hoffman.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Filatov?

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:24 PM
cliu122

hmm, you think Hoffman will be ready by next year?

cliu122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:29 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliu122 View Post
hmm, you think Hoffman will be ready by next year?
He's more NHL ready than every player on your list save Silfverberg and even that's debatable. We're going to see him get some more NHL games this season. Its essentially a given at this point. Doesn't hurt him that we just traded away a LW and need some guys to play the point on the PP.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:32 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
In this order

1. Silfverberg
2. Zibanejad
3. Stone
4. Petersson
6. Da Costa, Hoffman

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Johnny Hanson

vCash: 50
hoffman
silfverberg
stone

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
God Says No

sifverberg
hoffman
zib

although i don't think there will be 3 spots available. possibly 2.

God Says No is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:58 PM
source

Silfverberg.

After him it's hard to tell. Training camp will be even more competitive this year.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
R2010

1. Silfverberg - Pretty well a guarantee to make the team, looked pretty NHL ready in the playoffs and after this summer of training there will be no doubt about it.
2. Hoffman - Has a good chance to make the team. Was the best player on Bingo last year in every game I watched. He has also grown and gotten quite a bit stronger. He was the best player in development camp as well. Looked good in the NHL last year.
3. Da Costa - Had an alright year in Bingo and was at times very impressive with Ottawa. Physical size was his issue last year (strength) so if he worked hard this summer then he has a better chance than other prospects who can be developed slowly.
4. Zibanejad - The smart money is on putting him in Bingo, if you want him to develop into a star he needs to consistently put up points at some level, the AHL makes sense, he may force their hand however I think it would be mistaken for him to not have a full year in the AHL to develop with a few games called up.
5. Petersson - Needs to improve consistency and attitude. Will not have a Top 6 spot handed to him over one of the others so he will need to work hard to crack that top 6.
6. Stone - A year in Bingo will do him wonders and help him train to get that 2nd gear he needs. The smart move is to leave him in Bingo because he has the potential to develop

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Silfverberg.

After him it's hard to tell. Training camp will be even more competitive this year.
Agree, Silfverberg is almost assured to start the season in Ottawa, which leaves no openings. As it is the Sens will have to carry Butler.

Hopefully one or more of Hoffman, Zibby and Stone force Murray to make a trade or two to make room for them.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I would be more then happy if Stone started in the AHL this season. I really really like him, and want him on the team, but i think an ahl year would benefit him greatly. Hell, i think all out prospects should play in the ahl one year.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:54 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Silfverberg and Hoffman will be on the opening roster. This is barring any more moves by Murray.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:38 AM
IranCondraAffair

The Foligno trade only really opened up a single spot up.

My own expectations:

Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Regin - Turris - Alfredsson
Lats- Smith - Neil
Silf/Hoffman - JOB - Condra

Pressbox: Daugavins/Butler

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:50 AM
TooLow494

i think we need to get rid of butler, too many ahead of him...

TooLow494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:09 AM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino5000 View Post
i think we need to get rid of butler, too many ahead of him...
We need the depth, badly in fact.

Regin, Spezza, Michalek, and Lats are all injury cases, and to a lesser extent, Alfie.

We WILL lose enough games from our top-12 to injuries (as well as suspensions and poor play) to give an extra 82 games for at least 2 (probably 3) players over the course of the season. In fact, because we're going to have trouble making the cap mandated minimum, we're likely to keep a full roster.

We don't NEED to get rid of Butler, we NEED to get more experience with our younger players. We could, potentially lose Regin, Neil, Alfie, and Lats by next season. Do you really want Spezza and Michalek to be our only forwards to have enough experience to no longer be on their RFA contracts? That type of situation is beyond retarded.

Last season we were taking about being unable to move Kuba and Gonchar. Both rebounded. Butler and Regin could both rebound this season and make us all look stupid for underestimating them.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:35 AM
TooLow494

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
We need the depth, badly in fact.

Regin, Spezza, Michalek, and Lats are all injury cases, and to a lesser extent, Alfie.

We WILL lose enough games from our top-12 to injuries (as well as suspensions and poor play) to give an extra 82 games for at least 2 (probably 3) players over the course of the season. In fact, because we're going to have trouble making the cap mandated minimum, we're likely to keep a full roster.

We don't NEED to get rid of Butler, we NEED to get more experience with our younger players. We could, potentially lose Regin, Neil, Alfie, and Lats by next season. Do you really want Spezza and Michalek to be our only forwards to have enough experience to no longer be on their RFA contracts? That type of situation is beyond retarded.

Last season we were taking about being unable to move Kuba and Gonchar. Both rebounded. Butler and Regin could both rebound this season and make us all look stupid for underestimating them.
RW:
Alfie, Zibanejad**, Neil, Condra, Petersson, Stone, Prince* (he playing in Bingo this year?) Pageau... all under contract (to name a few)

I see your argument, and also realized this... He probably has very low value right now + we are not in cap trouble so probably no point in trading him.

I guess its worth keeping him around for a second chance and depth but i would rather see that ice time go to Stone or Petersson... as you suggested

TooLow494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
dan1el

Silf will be a top 6er come opening night.

Mike Hoffman was great in bingo last year and could see himself starting the season on the fourth line.

Mika Zibanejad and Mark Stone will be both start the season in Bingo but I think they could see themselves in Ottawa before long. Especially Zib.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:23 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Silfverberg, Stone and Zibanejad

07-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Chrass

Quote:

My own expectations:

Lats- Smith - Neil

I have a hard time seeing Smith on the 3rd line....I think he belongs on the 4th.

Down the middle I see this:

Spezza
Turris
Regin
Smith

I think Butler gets traded for a 4th rd pick or he's put on waivers and demoted if nobody picks him up.

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:48 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

Quote:

My own expectations:

Lats- Smith - Neil

lol Lats/Silf won't be 3rd and 4th liners with Greening and Regin are on the 1st and 2nd line.

For the rookies

1. Jakob Silfverberg (will stay)
2. Stephane da Costa (fight to stay)
3. Andre Petersson (fight to stay)

Think the other two will both spend season in Bingo with Zibby leading in goals with Stone setting up with assists
4. Mika Zibanejad
5. Mark Stone

SensPromo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1989 View Post
1. Silfverberg - Pretty well a guarantee to make the team, looked pretty NHL ready in the playoffs and after this summer of training there will be no doubt about it.
2. Hoffman - Has a good chance to make the team. Was the best player on Bingo last year in every game I watched. He has also grown and gotten quite a bit stronger. He was the best player in development camp as well. Looked good in the NHL last year.
3. Da Costa - Had an alright year in Bingo and was at times very impressive with Ottawa. Physical size was his issue last year (strength) so if he worked hard this summer then he has a better chance than other prospects who can be developed slowly.
4. Zibanejad - The smart money is on putting him in Bingo, if you want him to develop into a star he needs to consistently put up points at some level, the AHL makes sense, he may force their hand however I think it would be mistaken for him to not have a full year in the AHL to develop with a few games called up.
5. Petersson - Needs to improve consistency and attitude. Will not have a Top 6 spot handed to him over one of the others so he will need to work hard to crack that top 6.
6. Stone - A year in Bingo will do him wonders and help him train to get that 2nd gear he needs. The smart move is to leave him in Bingo because he has the potential to develop
Bang on.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote