HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official NHL Free Agency Thread 3.0 (Legit Sources ONLY)

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Semin in a habs uniform?
yes 46 43.40%
non 51 48.11%
indifferent 9 8.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
  #176
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
MathMan, you know better.

Report cards don't get handed out first week of school.
I'm reserving judgement until Bergevin does something worth talking about (rather than just sort of rolling one's eyes at), but I'm not liking the direction so far. The roster is a mess, way too bottom-heavy. Unless MB plans to move out some guys.

MathMan is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
  #177
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
A 're-structuring' is what i think it needs, although i agree it's as close to impossible as it gets. Gauthier screwed MB here.

Maybe something like this

Weber to EDM for Peckham?

but that only solves a little issue with that D core, Kaberle is the huge issue back there
Would take more than Weber to land Peckham.

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
  #178
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Bouillon/Diaz/Kaberle/St Denis

Weber goes elsewhere.

Oh and: KABERLE SCORED 30 PTS LAST SEASON, HE'S AN NHL DEFENSEMAN.
He's still terrible 5v5 and in his own zone. He is good at 1 thing and terrible at everything else... that's not an NHL dman.

Kikizaz is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
  #179
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
well there goes

Quote:
Ryan Hamilton ,Toronto $600K

Habaneros is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
  #180
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
At that price he'd work for me.

I'd probably rather Matt Carle though.

Gorges-Subban(shutdown)
Markov-Carle(offensive breakout)
Emelin-Bouillon(physical presence)
Carle is something the Habs have too much of already, a puck moving defenceman that is not particularly good in his own end.

le_sean is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
  #181
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm reserving judgement until Bergevin does something worth talking about (rather than just sort of rolling one's eyes at), but I'm not liking the direction so far. The roster is a mess, way too bottom-heavy. Unless MB plans to move out some guys.
Who would be your targets for the top six?

Mue is online now  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
  #182
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
These guys are not "good" NHL players. Lets not go for acceptable, we should aspire to have a good team.

On that note, I really liked Nash but he just missed a full year and should spend it rehabbing in the AHL. St. Denis was adequate, nothing more.
Oh, HFBoards. I forgot, 1 season or less and your entire career is defined.

Diaz is an NHL player. And a good one. He's played less than one year.

St-Denis looked good in his short stint. Maybe he's not completely NHL ready, but that's another story.

Calling Kaberle not an NHL caliber defenseman is also laughable.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
  #183
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
If only things were as simple as you make them sound. Marc Bergevin is doing excellent work today. The bottom 6 in Montreal has lacked identity for years, he's addressing it.
I think it's been abysmal so far, TBH. He's loading the club with guys who're above-average fourth-liners. You only need so many guys and now Bergevin has 6 millions worth of cap space tied into those.

MathMan is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
  #184
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm reserving judgement until Bergevin does something worth talking about (rather than just sort of rolling one's eyes at), but I'm not liking the direction so far. The roster is a mess, way too bottom-heavy. Unless MB plans to move out some guys.
I think you said it.


This UFA pool is deep by no means.....

Goona be some horse trading going on here too,it's out there that 8 to 12 top end players ,teams are wanting to move via trade.

Habs had non existent grit and toughness , and today fixed that in a pretty big way.

Some might say it don't matter, but the playoffs showed it does.

Bottom up approach .

Habaneros is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
  #185
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,351
vCash: 500
Lol, now Kaberle's not an NHL dman.


Coldplay is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
  #186
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
These guys are not "good" NHL players. Lets not go for acceptable, we should aspire to have a good team.

On that note, I really liked Nash but he just missed a full year and should spend it rehabbing in the AHL. St. Denis was adequate, nothing more.
To be fair, St Denis did'nt get a chance to prove that he could be more, and to be honest from what I saw, the guy was way more competent with the puck than Weber or Diaz or Kaberle were.

Craig71 is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:00 PM
  #187
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyC View Post
I really don't see why people are pushing for Jagr to come here. We are not competing for a Stanley Cup this year or next. We need to be building a team the right way, and not having band aids(Jagr) that may or may not squeak us into the playoffs. My thoughts on it .
Jagr would likely only come over for 1 season though, so it's not like we'd be mortgaging the future by signing him. There aren't many other 20 goal scorers you could add for 1 season.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:00 PM
  #188
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyC View Post
I really don't see why people are pushing for Jagr to come here. We are not competing for a Stanley Cup this year or next. We need to be building a team the right way, and not having band aids(Jagr) that may or may not squeak us into the playoffs. My thoughts on it .
And because of this, we should give ****** wingers to Plekanec. While we are at it and since we are not contenders, we should trade away Cole and Plekanek. Gionta and Markov as well. Wouldn't it be an entertaining season?

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
  #189
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
To be fair, St Denis did'nt get a chance to prove that he could be more, and to be honest from what I saw, the guy was way more competent with the puck than Weber or Diaz or Kaberle were.
Funny because Diaz was more competent with the puck than Emelin, yet you don't mention him?

St-Denis looked really good, but with the puck Kaberle is pretty great. It's without the puck that he's horrendous.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
  #190
Kenny Powders
Registered User
 
Kenny Powders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
To be fair, St Denis did'nt get a chance to prove that he could be more, and to be honest from what I saw, the guy was way more competent with the puck than Weber or Diaz or Kaberle were.

What??

St-Denis wasnt even close to be the puck mover Diaz is ..not even close to Kaberle .. come on.

Don't get me wrong, I like St-Denis and hate Kaberle ..

Kenny Powders is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
  #191
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
To be fair, St Denis did'nt get a chance to prove that he could be more, and to be honest from what I saw, the guy was way more competent with the puck than Weber or Diaz or Kaberle were.
Diaz was pretty solid all year long, people only believe what they want to believe instead of seeing the facts.

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
  #192
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why are you guys talking about another D?
Markov
Gorges
Subban
Bouillon
Emelin
Diaz
Weber
Kaberle
St. Denis
Nash

All NHL ready/capable D-men. We're log jammed as it is.
Most of those guys you lost are fringe NHL players.

Top 4 caliber:
Gorges, Subban, Markov
Top 6 caliber:
Emelin, Bouillon, Kaberle

I'd love to add Matt Carle. Beaulieu is 2-3 years away. Tinordi is a year or two away. Why not beef up our D and deal with our excess later on?!

JGRB is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
  #193
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Lol, now Kaberle's not an NHL dman.

He is, just not a good one.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
  #194
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Diaz was pretty solid all year long, people only believe what they want to believe instead of seeing the facts.
Diaz was a bit worse down the stretch, but he was apparently hurt, so what can you do?

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:03 PM
  #195
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Oh, HFBoards. I forgot, 1 season or less and your entire career is defined.

Diaz is an NHL player. And a good one. He's played less than one year.

St-Denis looked good in his short stint. Maybe he's not completely NHL ready, but that's another story.

Calling Kaberle not an NHL caliber defenseman is also laughable.
Diaz was terrible to start and improved to decent. I still dont want him as anything more than a 5-6 Dman. I ended up liking him quite a bit before he got hurt, BUT I recognize his deficiencies.

I would buy Kaberle out before buying Gomez out. In my opinion he is that bad at defending. Points don't mean anything, only two more years till we don't have to pretend to like him.

St. Denis was adequate, I said that.

Kikizaz is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:03 PM
  #196
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Diaz was a bit worse down the stretch, but he was apparently hurt, so what can you do?
I think he suffered mostly from a long season. He just wasn't conditioned to deal with an NHL schedule imo.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:03 PM
  #197
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,121
vCash: 500
When's Bergevin's presser ?

Analyzer is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
  #198
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Funny because Diaz was more competent with the puck than Emelin, yet you don't mention him?

St-Denis looked really good, but with the puck Kaberle is pretty great. It's without the puck that he's horrendous.
I did'nt mention Emelin because I noticed bodies flying when he destroyed people and thats all I was interested in. He is at a whole other level. He is a crusher.

Craig71 is offline  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
  #199
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,546
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Diaz was pretty solid all year long, people only believe what they want to believe instead of seeing the facts.
Diaz was really good, Weber got more problems but he was in a tough spot as the official band-aid/sometimes playing as a forward or as little as 3 minutes a game.

I'm sure some teams are looking for young cheap talents to fill out their D and we need a winger to play with Plekanec.

Team_Spirit is online now  
Old
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
  #200
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Diaz was terrible to start and improved to decent. I still dont want him as anything more than a 5-6 Dman. I ended up liking him quite a bit before he got hurt, BUT I recognize his deficiencies.

I would buy Kaberle out before buying Gomez out. In my opinion he is that bad at defending. Points don't mean anything, only two more years till we don't have to pretend to like him.

St. Denis was adequate, I said that.
Why not give them time to develop?

Diaz can be a Top-4 defenseman with development. But if you want, let's just ship out every player after 1 season. And actually, Diaz was pretty great to start the year, got really good.. and then slowed down considerably due to injury.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.